Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
viciousviolet

Endymion

Selune, the Moon Goddess, fell in love with a beautiful shepherd named Endymion. She appealed to Zeus, asking him to cast Endymion into everlasting slumber so that she could be with him for all eternity. Her wish was granted, and every night the Goddess visited her love as he slept. A sweet, wistful blend of d’Anjou pear, Lily of the Valley, bois du rose and white musk.

Oh, this is really beautiful! The rose is most prominent, but it blends so well with the pear it's remarkable. The musk is really very muted and hardly noticeable on me at all. This is why I love BPAL oils. There really isn't anything that smells like this from a commercial perfumer. It smells just like the description says, but it's blended so subtly that the rose and pear ease together. There isn't anything harsh or clanging or headache inducing about it, as I imagine it would be if a company tried to make a fragrance like this. Gorgeous, gorgeous. :P

Endymion is a soft, pretty scent. It starts out with pear, then lifts to reveal florals, and finally a sweet musk underneath. I would recommend this to someone who liked Eve or Tamora. (It really smells a lot like Eve to me, but I think a Tamora fan might like it.)

Edited by tart

Wet I was really excited about this one, I don't like floral scents, but in the bottle this was so pretty with the sweetness of the pear and the florals hanging around in the background, I thought I was going to love it. Sadly on me it had two stages, firstly strong lily and secondly strong musk (and 8 hours on it's still going strong). Neither of these is particularly unpleasant, but they're not me.

I tried this one a while back. I love most of the notes in this, but my skin just amplifies rose and turns it to yuck. Why me. In the imp, it smelled great but upon drydown is when the rose just turns evil on me. I hope to find a rose one day that I can love.

In the Bottle: Smells like fresh pears. Juicy! :P

On Skin: On contact, it initially smells like a really overripe pear. I can smell some powdery floral, which seems more rosy than lily.

On Drydown: Some of the pear smell dissipates and the florals take over. It's still very sweet and floral.

Verdict: This is a pretty scent but just not me. I can't get over the sweetness factor, which still has me on the fence about Blood Countess. Except I'm not as fond of the pear smell as I am of the plum.

Just got this imp. Sniffed it and had to try it on right away.

In the vial: MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMmmmmmmmmmm. Pear in all its lucious ripeness. sitting on a background of light white florals, juicy and resplendent.

Wet: Hmmm. The florals come out to play, and the pear switches to background. Unexpected, but kind of nice. It's now a floral-with-pear instead of a pear-with-floral, but I think I like it. It's delicate and still scrumptious.

Drying: Hey, where'd the pear go?

10-15 minutes later: Pear has left the building. Lily of the valley kicked him in the knees and threw him out a window, and is hogging center stage. Damn you, lily. You give me a headache.

30-45 minutes in: Lily, lily, lily, you never change. Or, it would seem, go away.

I washed it off before things got any further, because the headache was picking up. (My dad's allergic to lily of the valley, I wonder if I am too.)

I really thought I'd love this one. I wonder if my skin amplifies the lily or sucks up the pear? Ah well. Off to the swap pile with thee, Endymion. No fair being such a tease.

I've just read on the reviews and it seems the pear disappeared for most people, but I've been wearing Endymion for a few hours now and it's still there, pear pear pear. Nummy.

In the bottle it was crisp light pear. Wet, it was still light bright pear. As it dried down, the light sweet florals came out to play, so perfectedly blended I can't pick out the single notes, and they softened and filled out the pear. This scent is just gorgeous, and so unusual. Mmmm pear :P

(Ever repeat a word so many times it stops making sense? Pear)

Wet - Pear and lily. I'm not much for lily, but this is a beautiful blend.

Dry - It's still primarily pear and lily, but I smell something else, something almost musty (as opposed to musky) under the surface. And then, within an hour or so, it's all gone. Everything, the musty and the pear. I was really hoping to love this blend, and wet, it certainly had it's potential. I just don't think it's a good match for my chemistry. I am truly disappointed, as I love pear, and was hoping this would be a good match for me.

On the wickedgoddess scale of 1 to 5, with 5 being best, this rates a 3 .

In the bottle: Pear and lilly of the valley.

First on: It's very soft, yet is very strong at the same time, the throw on this is incredible. Lilly of the valley is the most dominant with rose a close second, the pear lingers ever so slightly in the background but with this combination it almost makes it smell boozy.

After a bit: Lilly of the valley and rose with a powdery sweetness and boozy after thought.

A bit more: The rose becomes the race leader and the lilly of the valley turns really powdery. It's kinda smelling like a woman's bathroom with one of those floral air fresheners.

I'll give this another shot when I'm not all horomonal, because as it is, the rose is killing it for me.

Pear comes through as the predominant note. I can't smell much else from the imp or initial wet stage. When first applied the pear is very very strong. The initial scent is sweet, crisp and clean. It slowly softens and the Lily of the Valley and musk come through. Its nice but not entirely me. It will find a good home.

Just got my imp of this.

In Bottle: Pear, though I can definitely smell some of the lily underneath it.

Wet on skin: Juicy, wet pear. Almost like a bit of pear juice dribbled down onto my wrist.

Dry: Powdery rose. Then the lily of the valley came back and made an appearance. The pear flitted in briefly for me as well. Now I'm getting the musk with a bit of powdery rose left after 4 hours. This scent is subtle and pretty enough for daytime wear, and has some staying power on me.

This one is a keeper!

Endymion

In the bottle: Pear with a tinge of lily of the valley. :D

On me/wet: Aaaagh! Lily of the valley assault! I begin to smell the pear note underneath, trying to get out. But I associate lily with soap, and I feel kind of soapy.

Drydown: Ah, it's starting to fade and the rose is coming out. Getting better... :D Except, all of a sudden I smell like lemon. Rose and lemon. So after a while, it's mostly rose, the pear disappeared completely, and the lily of the valley is lurking in the background, impatiently scratching at the door. :P I get no musk at all, though.

This one had little staying power on me...

Edited by scourgeotheseas

Wet this smells like lily of the valley mixed with fruit- possibly pear. When first applied it has an aquatic quality to it. A rose note develops and it becomes very soft, wispy and powdery. This is another one that is pretty and feminine but that I don't find stunning or outstanding.

ugh- pure roses-- I can smell a little bit of the pear which kept me from immediately hating it, but on my skin, it's all roses and .....ugh

The cheap, sharp white musk and candy-sweet, artificial pear note in this remind me of those body splashes you can get at Wal-Mart (or you could a decade or so ago). It reminds me of one that I had when I was around 8 years old. I think it was called Pear Fantasy. A cheap musk, reminiscent of hairspray, and a pear note that smells like scented dolls more than perfume. Not good on me at all.

ETA: Recent imps of this have also had a noticeable soapy lily note, which just makes this worse for me, lol.

Edited by Little Bird

Oh, if only Endymion's pear note had lasted on me! I adored the first ten minutes of this on my skin, as the pear was so yummy. Then it went straight to rose-musk, which is not a horrible thing by any stretch, just not as lovely as when the pear was participating.

There is something about the florals that reminds me a bit of grey moonlight but the pear added a glittering golden note that I miss.

This is a lovely myth and a lovely scent as well. I love the pear note and the florals round this blend out beautifully. I only wish it had more throw. This is a perfect daytime scent. It puts me in mind of purity. :P My scale of 1-5...4 +

in the bottle: cloudy white transparent oil. The top note is the pear. This smells like my dream pear; usually when I eat pears, I find them disappointingly dusty and wooden and not all that yummy. But THIS smells just like my hopes for all pears; this is the way pears smell in heaven. It's sweet and lush and basically makes my mouth water just by uncapping it.

wet: Sweet, perfect pear. Like the syrup that pear halves come in.

drydown: Eventually I get hints of the rose coming through, but I can't really distinguish the other notes. This is a fairly long lasting and entirely pleasant scent. Clean. I get the feeling that it would work well for a lot of different people; it's both floral and fruity, fresh and yet sweet.

verdict: a definite winner. I'd get a 5ml of this.

First Impression: Fruity and floral - possibly, lily of the valley - with a hint of musk giving it some depth.

Dries down to: Within 15 minutes, the pear disappeared and it all turned very "soapy" with hints of rose within 1/2 an hour.

Additional Comments: The initial fruitiness would have been the pear and it was quite lovely with the lotv. Unfortunately, I didn't like the end result at all. I thought "bois de rose" was actually rosewood but this comes through as plain rose to me and it really "amped" up. I also usually like lotv a lot but not when it goes all "soapy" on me like this did. Another one to try out in a scent locket to see if the initial loveliness lasts longer that way.

Lasted: Several hours.

Rating: 2 out of 5

Hmm Not sure about this one. It is very light and quite sweet but there is something under it that just isn't me..possibly its the lily of the valley…Makes me think of old ladies!!

In the bottle: It's unusual that I like the BPAL fruity fragrances, and since this one was a frimp with my order of fire eater, I wasn't expecting much. But this is good. It makes me think of these pear tartelets I used to get at a local bakery. Very sweet and syrupy, with a spicy undertone, but not at all cloying.

First on: Hi roses! Where did you guys come from? I've got to say that something not-so nice is happening on my skin. I'm getting a very chemical-ish odor... kind of like shampoo. The pear is still dominant, but roses and lilies are strong too.

Dry: Gets powdery and floral, with just a hint of pear to tantalize me. Did anyone else ever wear "Tea Rose" perfume, which you can get about a gallon of for $10, when you were kids? It sort of reminds me of that.

Overall: Very different and not at all bad, but probably not one for the big-bottle list.

At first this one smells like PEAR. Then some of the other floral notes come in. It is so pretty and yummy. mmmmm After a while it gets a little powdery and less peary, but I still like it. I just wish it stayed more like it smells at the beginning. hmmm

In the imp: Crisp, tart. Don't really smell any one note, but it's nice.

On, wet: Has some of the same "fruit and flowers" feel as Aizen-Myoo.

5 minutes: The floral is coming out dominant. No trace of pear at all, which is a pity as pear is one of my favourite scents. But no trace of musk, either, which is probably a blessing for me. Will update a little later, see how it changes over time.

Some hours later: I do get a tiny wisp of pear now, but just not enough. This is another for the "will finish the imp, but no bottle" pile.

In the bottle: a floral, heady scent; very well-blended so that the individual notes don't really come through.

Wet: Wow, there's the pear!

Initial dry-down: The pear fades back down very quickly; scent is sweeter than it was in the bottle. The lily is very prominent now.

After 5 hours: The scent is barely there now; never got much pear out of it except at the very beginning. It ended up being a lily-rose combination on me, with no hints of white musk. Overall, this scent is a bit whiter than I usually wear, but very lovely in a tantalizing way. I'll try this one again in the spring.

In the Bottle: For some reason the pear in here smells very apple to me. So I smell weak apple, some alcohol, and pretty white flowers behind it all.

Dry: The flowers are nice, but the pear recedes into a very watery fruit scent. It reminds me a lot of Fae and Eve... I prefer a more robust fruit, or at least one that smells less watery.