Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
viciousviolet

Endymion

Selene, the Moon Goddess, fell in love with a beautiful shepherd named Endymion. She appealed to Zeus, asking him to cast Endymion into everlasting slumber so that she could be with him for all eternity. Her wish was granted, and every night the Goddess visited her love as he slept. A sweet, wistful blend of d’Anjou pear, Lily of the Valley, bois du rose and white musk.

This is all Rose and Lily of the Valley...and it is giving me a huge headache. ::runs to scrub it off::

Edited by Shollin

On my roommate, this smells romantically like light flowers and pear.

On me, it smells like plastic skunk. Literally, I had a little plastic skunk when I was little that was sorta scented (though it didn't really smell at all like real skunk).

I have fond memories of that toy skunk, but I don't wanna wear it :P

ENDYMION

In Bottle: Tart fruits and florals

On Skin: I smell the pear right away which is a wonderful thing since D’Anjou pear is one of my favorite BPAL single notes. It is sweet but the sour rose slices through and gives the scent a tart feel. The lily of the valley adds to the white feel of this scent. I get a crisp white and light green tone from this scent. The white musk is so clean and soft. It blankets the scent in a sheer white cotton sheet. This scent is very light and spring feeling. I wish the rose was a bit more subtle, but besides that I love it. I could see this becoming a regualr spring scent for me. It has a nice close to the skin throw that makes you lean in to smell it and a short to average wearlength.

I smell mostly lily of the valley, very fresh and slightly green. The rose isn't turning it soapy, which is nice, but I wish I could detect the pear somewhere in this blend. It's very pretty, but I rarely reach for scents that are mostly floral, so I'll be passing it along.

Lily and rose, but not as chemical-y as they usually turn on me - I think the pear is mellowing them out. The musk is very light, and the pear provides a light background fruityness that's very nice.

straight sniff from imp is luscious, ripe pear with a touch of floral...

wow :D ...once applied this is a fantastic concoction with the fruity

pear and the lily of the valley and musk...extrememly well balanced this

is an absolute beauty...love it :P

I received this as a frimp in my last order. I didn't look up the description before trying it on. On my skin, all I could smell was white musk. It would have been nice if the pear scent came through more.

In the imp: light, fluffy sweet pears.

On me, wet: sweet crisp pear and soapy lily-rose powder beneath it, but that musk is nice and warm in the background.

On me, dry: grf. The pear and musk would be lovely but lily and rose together is just too soapy for me to get past.

Verdict: In its defence, it smells like *really nice* soap. Swap pile.

In the imp, this is as lovely and serene as the description makes it sound. but the second it hits my skin . . . dear god i’m going to strangle myself to make. it. stop.

this was the learning scent: for future reference, anything with lily turns in one rancid yet cloying note that climbs up and sits under my nose, daring me not to barf. clearly it is a lily. a rotting, stinking super-strong lily. i’m thinking i am also going to allow no lilies in my garden in the future.

wow, this one was not fun on me.

Wet: Mostly lily-of-the-valley, with a whiff of pear.

Dry: Warm musk with lily-of-the-valley and a little rose.

Duration/throw: Not much throw after it dried, still strong at the wrist at 3 hours, gone by 5 hours.

I like it, but probably not enough to get a bottle.

I almost always like the pear scent in perfumes -- it has a bright quality and gives the scent a nice twang that I enjoy. I definitely like it in this blend.

This would probably be an undistinguished soft floral blend on me without the pear, something that would make me think, "Oh, that's nice, but it's not really a standout." The pear note is the one that puts this over the "oh that's nice" level and into the "yes I would like to wear this" area.

I thought that bois du rose was rosewood, but it seems like I can smell rose in this -- quite strongly, too. The white musk with it is absolutely perfect, just a soft gentle musk under the whole scent.

It lasts for quite a while on my skin, although the pear becomes more difficult to pick out after it's fully dry.

All in all, a great combination of notes and a great scent.

I love Endymion! I go nuts for any BPAL blend with pear in it, and this is no exception. In the imp it's fresh juicy pear! Mmmmm!

On my skin: pear with a hint of bois du rose, and a dash of white musk and florals. This scent is so fresh, clean, and juicy! Perfect for springtime, and would be perfect as a linen scent too. I want a bottle of this! :P

This is how a higher self would smell...innocent and sweet yet inviting. It wears very well, it retained its listed fragrances even after some time wearing it. A lot of scents change on my skin, but this once hardly did :P !

In the bottle: Pear shot through with floral

On: After dry down the pear fades into the background, but isn't gone completely, and the lily of the valley comes to the fore. This is a very light white/green scent, perfect for this time of year. Can't smell much of the musk, but the rosewood (bois de rose) grounds the floral nicely and keeps it from being to ethereal.

I can see myself wearing this a lot.

This is such a gorgeous scent I really wish it lasted more than 20 minutes. Unfortunately, it's all delicious BIG PEARS blended with roses (more rose than bois du rose), maybe a hinting of musk, for ten minutes, with a huge throw, then politely excuses itself and starts to fade away. And once it does that, it's a quick exit.

I wonder how it would do as a room scent?

In bottle: Juicy, fruity sweetness

Wet: The pear and the lily of the valley have blended and the rosewood is just beginning to peer out from behind.

Dry: bright and sweet and clean. I like this pear :P

Later: It stays very much the same and holds on reasonably well.

Summary: bright and sweet and clean. I like this pear , enough that I might get a big bottle for summer.

Beautiful yet gentle, subtle ripe pear – juicy but still incredibly sophisticated. Soft white florals underpin this making it a smooth soothing scent. The ripeness of the pear disappears as it dries down. What an elegant fragrance! Sadly, it is all but gone in three hours though there is the faintest hint of pear if you sniff very carefully. It’s worth noting this layered wonderfully with Wylde Ivy’s Black Tea Jasmine.

WOE! I cannot smell the pear. It must be some sort of nose thing, because I can't find it in the imp or on my skin. Instead, I smell a strange almost rain-like fresh scent in the imp, and a sweet but detergenty floral on my skin.

As time goes on, the floral becomes more tolerable -- a little fresher, I think -- but it's still definitely 100% floral, which is so not me.

In the vial: Light, sweet, but definitely a cling-y pear. I’m not a huge pear/fruit fan, but it is intriguing me, nonetheless…

Wet on skin: Delightful! Definite pear, but toned down so that it's not screaming "fruit"! I love lily of the valley, and I can smell that one in the mix now. Very light, and fresh and flirty. I hope this stays, it’d be great for summery days.

A while later... This is a light scent, I'll probably need to apply more in the future. It’s already kind of fading. But it's still deliciously sweet, and I do like it! The pear makes it sparkly. It’s seeming to stay well blended.

Much later... Gone. It faded away pretty fast. I’m left with a faint, faint musk. :P

I’m glad I risked trying a pear scent, this one’s nice! But it faded sooo fast… I guess I could try it in a lotion. Maybe as a spritz or in a diffuser, to liven up my attitude occasionally, rather than my aroma.

This is soooo pretty! An imp in a swap: I probably wouldn't have sought this out on my own (thanks, Ah Xia!) If I concentrate (well, really, if I just pay close attention) I can get the juicy pear, the lily of the valley, and a soft musky rose over all. There's almost a wine-y note, but it's faint--just enough to give it some sparkle.

When I first put this on, though, my first impression was "Joy!" as in the Joy by Jean Patou. Not saying that it's like a dupe, but the impression, of classic, elegant perfume is there. This is lovely and would be perfect for an upscale evening out. I'm leaning towards bottle-worthy.

This was just unimpressive lilies on me, and faded rather quickly. I don't think I can wear light perfumes.

This is another one of those blends that's probably been in the general catalog forever, yet I've never actually noticed it for some reason. I got it as a frimp with my latest order though, and right away I went "oooo.... Endymion" because I love the story of Endymion and Selene and know it well. I was hoping that it would be dreamy, fluffy, and delicious... suitable for bedtime because of the "sleep" theme in the myth itself.

This definitely would be a nice scent for quiet days indoors or for drifting off to sleep indeed. It's so light and relaxing. The pear is the dominant note for me in this, but the lilies and the rose are right there as well. I also smell something in it that is a bit like musk or maybe sandalwood floating around in the background, making itself known every so often. Overall, Endymion reminds me of a less sweet version of Juliet, which is one of my dearest BPAL loves. However, I can smell the pear better in Endymion and it doesn't scream "girly" the way Juliet does. That isn't a good or bad thing. It just is.

I doubt that I will purchase a larger bottle of this, but mostly because it smells so very similar to Juliet and at this point, my collection has grown so large, I only want more general catalog bottles if they're really different from what I already have. However, I highly recommend this scent to anyone who likes light, fruity florals... especially people who almost liked Juliet but didn't because it was too sweet. I will also be reaching for this myself from time to time... especially for bedtime or relaxing days in... and finishing my imp.

Edited by glass_cat

This starts off smelling like pears--it's very strong, even though I didn't put a lot on, and has a nice tartness. Later on, it dries down into a soft powder that seems very innocent. It reminds me a bit of the perfume I used to wear when I was little. I'm not really smelling the lily of the valley, but as time goes on, this keeps getting sweeter, so they're definitely lurking in there somewhere. I don't know that I would wear this really often, but it's nice enough, and I think it gets better the longer it's worn.

3/5

out of the bottle: I get a gentle whiff of pear surrounded by a bed of roses and a gentle white musk within it.

wet: the rose and the white musk take the forefront, much like the gentle image of two married lovers sleeping in a big bed of white sheets.

drydown: this smell strikes close to my heart. her, the rose, and him, the white musk mingle together softly and quietly in a sleepy sunday haze. the sun is peering through, but there they are still asleep without any sign of waking. the scent is delicate and romantic. it tugs on my heart strings!

dry: it dries to a light lily with a hint of white musk. it gives me the feeling of being in a warm blanket and fills me with some nostalgic inner longing for a lover.

very nice!