Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

Eclipse-

All the glory, warmth and majesty of the sun -- darkened. A delicious blend of bitter almond, vanilla, frankincense and heliotrope, with a drop of cinnamon.

In Bottle: Almond is the most obvious, and the vanilla tempers it nicely. The cinnamon is hinted at too.

Wet: Deliciously foodie, like almond-vanilla soap.

Dry: Fast fader, too bad; it fades to something soapy and vanilla, a little baby-powderish. Pleasant, but I wish the almond lasted longer.

Overall: Pleasant but a fast fader.

Edited by Shollin

In the vial

Yuck! Gross, overpowering almond paste! It's way too strong.

On me

The scent mellows out and is pretty but not a winner for me. I would prefer O for the foodie smell.

Final verdict

I give it a 3 out of 5, on my love scale. Off to the swaps!

I'm not crazy about almond (or rather it's too crazy about me) but I do love cinnamon, vanilla and frankincense so I decided to try this out.

I'm glad I did. It's very almond at first with a touch of cinnamon, but as it dries the almond becomes more subdued (and that is a first on me!!). It's a sweet, creamy almond and spice and lovely indeed. It has a bit of throw and average last on me and the imp is definitely a keeper.

I managed to spill most of my imp and managed to get it all over my imp case and bathroom counter before I ever got it on myself...I was cringing because I expected to to be the strongest of the scents I've tried so far. I was expecting something bitter and spicy with a hint of vanilla.

Instead, this lovely sweet almond smell wafted up, like almond paste mixed with vanilla, but very soft and feathery, if that makes any sense. After it was on my skin, it became less almond and more vanilla, and after a few hours something bitter (maybe frankincense?) came to the forefront with a very hot cinnamon, but the sweet almond/vanilla mixture never really went away.

I never expected such a foody scent to be so..ethereal.

I scrubbed down the counters and the box, but Eclipse hung around. Fortunately, it is such a gentle scent it didn't bother me and now I just think "mmm...sweet almonds" whenever I open the imp box or brush my hair.

This is a strong oil blend that lingers for a long, long time, but the scent has such a light and airy feel that it's not distracting at all.

Overall a neat experience, but not one I'll be getting a big bottle of.

I was really expecting to love this one because of the notes (I do love marzipan), but it just doesn't do it for me. Too sweet and light, perhaps. I'm gravitating towards earthy and fruity scents more and more.

But if you are looking for something sweet and light that's not floral, you might find it in Eclipse.

at last! a new GC to get excited about :P

i've been looking for a bottle-worthy general catalogue blend, and i don't know why this one has passed me by. it's marzipan-y *and* cinnamon-y, two of my definite favourite notes. the smell of this on my skin simply makes me smile. must. have. more!

In the imp, pure bright cherry - obviously that's the almond, but it just felt like cherry to me. DELICIOUS. I am excited and cannot wait to put this on~

And then of course it goes pure frankincense on me. The mum sniffed my wrist & went "EW MORE INCENSE?" It's okay I guess, but after the cherry-almond deliciousness, I just can't bring myself to be excited about this. Off to swaps!

*purrrrr* Ooh, this is nice. I adore almond in blends and this almond note actually stays on my skin! Vanilla, frankincense, cinnamon - yup, all in there, and thankfully the cinnamon isn't too hot. This is exotic and comfortable at the same time, and totally delicious. :P

my skin's only goal in life is to amp almond to an insane extent and when i first put eclipse on that's all i get. i noticed a lot of people seem to get a chemical scent from this and sure enough if i give it a few minutes it's dry, toasty almonds on top of nail polish remover and then the frankincense comes out and to be honest it's all downhill from there.

i love this scent.

i found it incredebly strong at first, the almond was very strong.

once it dried the almond lessened and the vanila came through a bit and it became very pleasnt.

when it had setteld after a while it was wonderfull, an almondyness with i slight hint of vanilla giving a sweetness,

but it faded too fast.

Edited by dragonofinfinity

Initial impression:

It smells exactly like the almond cookies we buy! Sweet, lush almond, and warm vanilla. I'm getting hungry!

First on:

Something sharper immediately jumps out when it hits my skin, but it's not cinnamon – is that what heliotrope smells like? Curious, but it's still pleasant – better than pleasant!

Dry:

After about 10 mins, it seems a tiny bit soapy, but I'm hoping that'll go away. On the bright side, I sense some frankincense now, and the almond and vanilla still stay strong. Yay!

20-30 mins after application, it's even more lush than before. Not nearly enough cinnamon, but here's almond and vanilla and frankincense that makes me completely blissed out.

Finally:

A warm and beautiful scent. Keeping! <333

Let me make it perfectly clear that I am the sort of person who loves marzipan, puts a dash of almond extract in anything remotely sweet that I make, and is known to wax rhapsodic over particularly delicious almond croissants. That said, I really like Eclipse. I love almond scents ("Really? Who'da thunk?"), but I had a bad time with the Queen of Sheba early in my BPAL experiences, so I had been hesitant to try other almond scents. This one is soooo good. Out of my whole order, only Baobhan Sith eclipses Eclipse in my heart, but it's a very strong second. We'll have to see if I feel sweet or tart in the morning when I decide which one to wear. :P

I'm still fairly new to the world of scents, so I couldn't tell you which notes my skin brings out in this.

It does smell of almonds, at first, as everybody has mentioned — but there's something soft and sweet underneath. It's WEARABLE almonds, on me at least!

This might be the new love of my perfume life if only it didn't fade within an hour or two. Although I confess I dislike perfumes that linger for toooo long (by the time I get to bed, I'd like to be free of what I applied in the morning), the staying power in this is... well, there IS no staying power.

Shame. The blend is thriiiiilling, otherwise.

In the Imp: Sweet almonds with cinnamon in the background. This was included as a frimp in a swap, and I have to admit I'm a little hesitant to try it!

Wet on Skin & Dry: :P Cough dropssss! After today I officially know that almonds are a no-go for me. Shame because I love how they smell while they're cooking!

Unfortunately, all I could get from Eclipse was a little bit of floral before the cinnamon started to irritate my skin. One more for the "do not keep" pile.

OOH, heavenly almonds! Nothing cloying about these almonds, though. This just smells wonderfully smooth and refreshingly sweet (as opposed to the almond scent in, say, Black Phoenix, which can be overwhelming to me). The frankincense adds just enough warmth, and the cinnamon (obviously) a bit of spice. This is by no means spicy, though- it's mostly just ALMONDS- lovely, lovely, smooth, refreshing, sweet almonds.

This is the next best thing to a pure almond note. I am in love. :P

First on I had to place the scent familiarity but it finally came to me—this smells like black licorice! Like really old fashioned black licorice or black licorice liquor. As it dries the vanilla comes out deepening the scent and making it more yummy (I’m not a fan of licorice, sorry). It finally dries down to an aged vanilla smell with some of the black licorice and something like plastic in the background. Obviously just not a right match for my skin.

Rating: 3/5

imp: bitter, sharp, spicy almond.

wet: i agree with lunaratu: this scent smells like licorice. not over-anisy or the mass-produced stuff, the kind of licorice you buy at specialty candy shops. this smells incredible!

dry: the vanilla come out a bit more, smelling sweet and dessert-like. i find myself thinking about almond poppyseed muffins...

In the imp, the almond is extremely overpowering, to the point where it's bitter and slightly tingly to my nose. I hope that it mellows out a bit...

On my skin the almond immediately dies down and now the vanilla with an underscent of the cinnamon has taken over. It's a little incensy. Fiance pointed out that it smells like a really cool store called Earthbound

Overall, it's a very warm scent. You still get the feeling of hidden warmth from this. It's a very elusive scent and is already almost gone on m. Nice, but probably not something that I'll be wanting a bottle of.

Amaretto. I suppose "maraschino cherries" or "marzipan" if you must, but this smells like amaretto -- it has that warmth, that kick to it.

From desktop notes: "Amaretto with an edge; embers in a dark fireplace. Fades to cinnamon-almond, but the spices keep it from ever being simple food scents. It always remains about light on your skin, light and dark in your veins."

Eclipse is one I wear when I'm feeling cranky or headachy, because something about it puts me in a better frame of mind. Frankincense is the only thing keeping it from being purely foodie [i don't like smelling like baked goods], so it's soothing and warming-invigorating while not being pure candy goo. Not one I do daily, but it never fails to help me out of a funk.

From pure almonds to baby powder in 60 seconds :D It flipped back to yum for a few seconds at about the 5min. mark, but the powder came back STRONG... I so wanted to adore this, but it just wasn't meant to be.

Massive throw and staying power, though, for those it works for :P

2/5

From pure almonds to baby powder in 60 seconds :P It flipped back to yum for a few seconds at about the 5min. mark, but the powder came back STRONG... I so wanted to adore this, but it just wasn't meant to be.

The same thing happened to me! It smelled so promising in the bottle too... :D

In the imp, Eclipse = almond - yum!

Once I put it on, it's still almond, with the resins and spices in back - after a couple of minutes, I definitely get a sense of the floral-ness of the heliotrope and the vanilla.

Dry, it softens, but it's still primarily almond. I'm an almond-lover, so I really like this, but if almond's not your thing, you might reconsider.

imp: almonds!

wet: strong sweet almond with a vanilla base, and I can feel the cinnamon rather than smell it

dry: I still don't know what heliotrope smells like, nor can I pick out frankincense with any certainty, but as this dries it becomes less foody and takes on an airy yet warm tone. It gets a little flour-y (yep, like baking!)...This smells like prayer in the pantry. Warm and comforting.

I'm really liking this! Keeping my imp, and if it continues to wear well, this might end up as a bottle purchase.

Oh my GOD, this burns. This has never happened before that I can recall. Other than that, it's pretty nice! I agree with the amaretto conclusion, but the warmth is getting a bit carried away with itself, as I've said. There is a cookie-ish note. Slightly headachy too. All in all, bye-bye, Eclipse!

In the imp it smells very very very sweet... like "I don't know if I'll be able to wear it all day" sweet. But I decide to put it on anyways and it mellows out only slightly. It's sweet vanilla, heliotrope and almonds when wet, and I do get the frankincense and cinnamon in the background, too. After a while the sweet darkens, as I assume is intended, and the frankincense and cinnamon comes out strong. Stays put at a sweet, dark scent, and I really love it, to me it seemed like it died really quickly but when my boyfriend entered he was amazed at how big of a throw it had. "You've made the whole room vanilla!" I really love how it starts out, but it barely lasts 20 minutes (to me), but apparently it would make a good room scent... And between this and Faustus, I've decided I *love* the frankincense/cinnamon combination. I don't know if it's 5ml worthy, and it doesn't seem to last long on me, but I may get another imp.