Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

All the glory, warmth and majesty of the sun -- darkened. A delicious blend of bitter almond, vanilla, frankincense and heliotrope, with a drop of cinnamon.

Sweet almond and a lightly floral goodness. To me, there's a light rose and a hint of mandarin. This is quite the yummy, marzipan scent.

Almond and vanilla equals stomach-turning. I hatehatehate both of those in most scents and together they are intensely nauseating. I can't smell the cinnamon, but I can feel it. It burns.

In the Imp: Almond Liquer

Wet: Overpowering almond but with a bit of a powdery smell underneath. It's like a soapy vanilla.

Dry: The almond disapeared very quickly, now this is very subtle and soft, a really yummy cinnamon musk vanilla smell. Ooo. This is nice. Warm and soft. It is making me think of the Mediteranian bakery where I used to buy baklava and it is starting to smell a little like gingerbread. I could do without the powder note, whatever it is, but this is yummy.

In the imp: Almond and vanilla. :P

On Skin: Initially, it's very bitter. And then it's cinnamon and almond.

Drydown: Still, very almond. It's got a faint vanilla undertone to it. However, my skin eats this up!

Verdict: It was almost gone after an hour. Overall, it was an interesting blend. I'm not sure I want to smell like almonds/almond extract, regardless of how tasty it is!

Frankinscence tends to take over on me, but since I love foody smells, I was glad to try this one due to the almond. Wet, this is like liquid almond extract on me... I like the smell, but it has incredible throw, and I'm not sure if i want to smell like I spilled the bottle of almond extract on me while cooking... Dry, the scent stays pretty much the same, with the frankinscence making an appearance on the late dry-down... I was unsure about this one wet, but liquid almond extract with the frankinscence isn't a good mix for me.

Out of the imp this smelled like a cherry lollipop to me. Very strong, sticky, and sweet.

After putting it on, this went away but out came a strong vanilla scent and...very foody. This isn't my thing at all.

I'll be swapping/selling.

This is not one for me sadly. I thought it had enough of the same notes as Inferno to be a keeper, but all that was great about Inferno was lost in all that was bad about Eclipse. I've been forbidden to put it on ever again by my sister, and have passed the Imp on to a friend who I hope has better luck with it. :P

Man. My skin always amps up the vanilla, and this is no exception.

In the bottle: Almond. No room for anything else, just that marzipan smell.

On skin: It softens quickly... almost soapy for a little while there, then evening out into vanilla, vanilla, vanilla. I didn't have much of a chance to smell it at college, but that's all I got. I tried it again tonight, and got a little more depth - I can sense the incensey feel at the beck, but its really no more stronger than that, and the cinnamon is barely there. The heliotrope melded with the vanilla, as it likes to do, and the almond vanished after the initial burst. It's a very rich, but somehow ticklish vanilla - not as smooth or musky as Snake Oil, and much sweeter. Definitely pleasant.

Might keep the imp.

I wore Eclipse a lot last fall, and now that it's winter I decided to give it another try.

In the bottle, it's awful. Cherry cough syrup awful.

Wet, it's just as bad.

It quickly dries down, however, to gorgeous and subtle cinnamon/almond scent. It smells faintly of cookies, but not in a foody way. It's warm, cozy and comforting-a perfect winter scent.

In the bottle, almond and nothing but, but almond is like that. on my skin, it was immediate almond and baby powder (I thought there must be amber in this!) with something high-pitched in the background that keeps rising.

Pretty well meh on me.

I gave it to my daughter, whose skin does lovely things with amber (and indeed that's how it smells on her) but there is no amber in this! ???

This is Dandelion and Burdock. Warm Dandelion and Burdock. Or some sort of drink like that, anyway. Except without the sickly sweet sugaryness. Smelling this oil doesn't make my teeth ache.

It's quite nice, though. A nice cozy-evening-inside scent with someone close, I think. It's definitely a night-time scent, at any rate.

One thing though, I found that if applied to quite sensitive skin, it would cause an allergic reaction. I'm going to have to be more careful where I put this.

In the imp: Very sweet almond with an underlying hint of cinnamon. I approach Eclipse with great trepidation.

Wet/Drydown: Really spicy almond. So spicy it almost smells like ammonia. Hello, cinnamon, I’d rather shake your hand politely than be smacked in the face by you, but I guess that’s not my decision. Ow. Now, still primarily cinnamon and sticky-sweet almond, but it’s softening just the tiniest bit and I’m getting the vanilla. Now the vanilla has replaced the almond as the primary sweet note and the cinnamon has stopped beating me up – it’s a spiced vanilla. I smell like dessert.

Dry: Well, it turns out that vanilla amps like crazy on me, drowning out most other notes. This is just spicy vanilla. Too foody and too dominantly vanilla – not for me.

wet this smells strongly of almonds, and i was a little put off. as it dried down, though, the vanilla, frankincense, and cinnamon come out. it's a very creamy and comforting scent, without being too foody. unfortunately, it doesn't have much throw. i would really need to slather. i had worried that i might get a skin reaction from the cinnamon, since silk road made me very red and itchy, but but i didn't have any problems with eclipse.

ETA: on a second and more full wearing, this did cause me to break out in red spots and itch. it seems that my wrists don't have a problem with cinnamon, but my inner elbows and neck do. :P

Edited by concrescence

In the bottle, and wet: All almond and cherry (where'd that come from?), all the time. Both scents I love, but very strong. However, this only lasts a few minutes, then floral notes come out and leaven the cherry-almond down into pleasant sweetness.

Now, several hours later, there's only the barest hint of foody scent, swallowed up by incense and floral. I never got any cinnamon out of it at all.

Overall: Very nice. It becomes more and more mellow, almost soapy at times, and is never quite overpowering. A happy scent, definitely a keeper!

Lovely.

My imp of Dana O'Shee tragically drained itself at some point a week ago, and I have been missing its soft, comforting almondy goodness.

Eclipse is a little like Dana O'Shee's almond (I don't get a bitterness at all) -- initially very very almond, and then shortly into the drydown the cinammon whispers its presence. There's a lovely rich vanilla at the base, similar to how Antique Lace smells on me, without the linen undertone. I'm not picking up what I can detect as frankincense or heliotrope, but I'll chalk that up to inexperience. I think they're keeping it from smelling too much like a cookie, though.

Eclipse... :P Just foody enough to be comfortingly delicious.

ETA: This has dried down now to something much less foody, I think tempered by the frankincense and/or heliotrope. It's utterly gorgeous, says I... faint, but that's fine.

Edited by dorothy humbird

Lots of almond at first, but I like it more than I usually do, probably because of the vanilla and cinnamon. The almond fades out to take the background when the scent is dry. This is an unusual scent, sweet but spicy too, and it seems a little bit foody. It dries down into a rich, slightly spicy, almost creamy scent. The heliotrope is lovely in this.

Hmm, I wonder why I don't wear this more often. I really do like it a lot.

Strongly almond with a hint of cinnamon. This isn't as faint as the almond in Dana O'Shee, but it doesn't have too much staying power on me.

Interestingly, the cinnamon in this has never bothered my skin, unlike that in most other blends with cinnamon. Strange but true!

in the imp: almonds and cinnamon

wet: almonds! I never thought they could smell so beautiful… sweet and nutty and just slightly flavored with vanilla. The frankincense adds interest to the mix, and the cinnamon just barely tickles the nose.

dry: the almonds all but disappear, which is sad, because that's what I really liked about this scent… I'm amping the vanilla and the frankincense. The eventual drydown yields a slightly soaplike scent, but it's the kind of soap all other soaps want to be when they grow up.

overall: It's interesting and refreshing; I'll be keeping this imp.

Eclipse reflects its name on me, but I'm getting ahead of myself.

It's lovely right out of the bottle. Oddly, instead of bitter almond, it goes almost to hazelnut on me, with a backnote of frankincense. As it dries down, a luscious butterscotch note comes out that starts to predominate. Very foody.

And then it dries and vanishes entirely. Half an hour later, I couldn't tell it had ever touched my skin. Waaah! Eclipse eclipses itself almost immediately! It's not fair! :P

I am the vanilla queen, so I figured this would work out great.

Imp: Buttery almonds.

Wet: Almond cookies, but very heavy on the almond. Boozy almond. And then some spice. My skin tends to amp up cinnamon (I love cinnamon, so I don't mind), so I thought that would be the end, but nope, it behaved.

Dry: I'm getting the floral now and it's a little soapy. I'm still hoping for vanilla and francincense. But no, just flower and a little cinnamon. The almond is so faint that I could imagining it.

Final Thoughts: This is pretty, but not for me. I like Queen of Sheba more, so at least I can get some almond love elsewhere.

Ah, the rich smell of almonds! Eclipse is mainly almond on my skin with a hint of cinnamon and a sweetness that I'm thinking is the heliotrope (it smells similar to the sweet floral note in Hollywood Babylon, which is also heliotrope so...). This reminds me of a frangipane in the best way (a marzipan filled pastry that French people make primarily around the holidays), and I will definitely get a bottle of this at some point. For some reason this has fared better on me than Queen of Sheba, which only lasted minutes on my skin.

All in all, if you like the smell of marzipan you will love this scent.

Out of the bottle: Well-balanced mix of sweet and spicy.

On the skin: Bitter almond and vanilla, with the warmth of frankincense cinnamon. Complex, but well-balanced. Definitely bewitching.

In vial: Pure cherry.

Wet: maraschino cherries, and a touch of cinnamon. Definitely a touch of alcohol burning off.

Drydown: Much better. The cherry notes are fading, and the cinnamon, vanilla, and frankincense are coming out. Very sweet.

I received this one as a frimp from the Lab.

In the imp: Fruity! I'm always taunted by smells that are familiar but that I can't place, and this was the same. I can see where some people would get cherry lollipops from this.

Wet: I applied it and had my husband sniff while it was still fresh. "It reminds me of spritz cookies... almond, or anisette, or something."

Yes! Almond! That was it. (Why do almond and cherry smell so similar?)

This one didn't have a lot of throw at first, and I had to put my nose right to my wrist to smell it. I didn't have a lot of hope that it would last.

Five minutes later: why are my elbows burning? And my neck? I go to the mirror to look, and there are red blotches all over my upper neck, and big red blotches on the inside of my elbows. Yeouch. I immediately go to look up the ingredients and find there's cinnamon in there, which I know can be an irritant--though I've never had a reaction before! I wash it off my neck and elbows, but leave it on my wrists and cleavage, where it doesn't seem to be causing a reaction and actually smells quite pleasant now, foody and warm.

30 minutes in: Now all the other smells are coming out. They seem to overlap rather then blend; I get a wave of frankincense, then vanilla, then cinnamon. As usual I can feel the bite of the cinnamon more than smell it.

Two hours later this seems, alas, to be fading away to nothingness, but I still get whiffs from time to time. It's a complex smell, but it has to be applied so sparingly because of the BURN, alas.

I won't be buying a bottle of this, but I'll use up the rest of the imp--carefully!