Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
viciousviolet

Dove's Heart

Dove's Heart

A gentle, healing love blend, often used to help mend a broken heart. Brings peace of mind, soothes the sting of loss, and aids in finding closure.

Heavy floral. Old ladies. Lavender and soap. A bit powdery with a sharpness to it. There's a pungency in the background. Blah, this smells bad to me.

[ 2 - Dislike ]

In the imp: It is a strong herbal/floral scent

On skin: My skin amps the floral aspect before turning into soap. It is giving me a headache. :P

Lavender, lavender...lavender SOAP! This one set a record for turning soapy. I'll have to try it as a room scent for the calming effects because it does NOT like my skin.

I tend to like soapy florals, so after reading reviews, I had a good feeling about this oil.

In the imp, it's reminding me a little of Eos and Bitch...it's herbal, and floral. Maybe lavender? Maybe not? Honeysuckle? Ylang-ylang? Urgh I have no clue, my nose is failing me.

On my skin, it goes super-soapy, and ends up smelling a lot like a Plumeria Lei perfume oil that I got from Hawaii. Translation: aaahhhhhh mmmmmm.

I know it's soapy, but it's also quite lovely, in my saponified-soul's opinion. I hope I don't have to test it for intent any time soon, but after an argument I will see if it helps get me out of "The Red." I think it's really soothing, and it smells like a morning type scent to me.

4.2 out of 5

In the imp: Not much of anything- maybe mild floral.

Wet: I smell VIOLET!! This morphs me back to the early 60s- maybe something my grandmother wore or a cologne she bought for me. It's very strong but this is not a bad thing. I LOVE it.

Dry: The violet is still there but another flower is stepping up. Lavender? I do like this one a lot.

This is a gorgeous, melancholy aquatic floral. It's very calm and quiet. I smell a white, sweet floral and possibly some rose and violet. Those sit in the background, though, and a lavender aquatic base is what seems the most prominent to me. This is definitely an emotionally soothing and calming blend.

Did you ever read The Princess and the Goblin by George MacDonald? In it the little princess discovers she has a magical sort of aunt, who among other things has a beautiful bath full of stars. I was always so entranced by that - I think Dove's Heart smells the way I imagine that bath would have.

in the imp: yep. lavender soap.

wet on skin: a very light, very subtle lavender. some of the soapiness has faded, actually. :P

dry down: very heavy cloying floral. less about lavender, more just a floral blend.

in all: BPAL makes some truly swoon-worthy florals, but i can't say i was very impressed with this one. :D

The soft powdery smell seems to hide something else in this blend, something sweet, remeniscent of home-baked comforts. Something in the blend smells similar to Block Buster, giving it that clean and somewhat buttery scent. It might have a touch of rose too, but it has suddenly soured on my skin. If one thing makes my skin go bad, it's rose. :P I will try this one in a scent locket on days I'm feel down to see if it helps.

this was a free imp for me. it was the last one i tried on because in the bottle, i smelled it and all it said to me was OLD LADY ALCOHOL-Y PERFUME, WATCH OUT.

so i put it on, and it's not *as* bad as in the bottle, but all i smell is cheap department store perfume, too astringent, doesn't smell like anything in particular. as it sits on my skin more, i smell more lavender... now, pure lavender was something i had to train myself to like and get used to, so it's still a hard scent for me (even though i do love it). but there is just SOMETHING in this that makes the lavender smell so OFF. i second the vague sunblock smell. and the longer i wear it, the more of a headache i get, the same sort i get when i smell bleach for too long.

i might try it on another day but, lord, i'm actually about to go to sleep right now and i feel like it's gonna be harder for me to do that now because i feel so crappy from this smell. :D

this isn't a bash on Beth or anything, i love her perfumes and work as i've smelled them so far, but this one was just really bad for me. a lot of others have liked it, though, and if its performing for its intended purpose for a lot of people, then what can i say? :P

Edited by Lorelei

Just smells like perfume to me... I'm not sure how to describe it. calming but just... perfume like you'd get in a department store. Maybe my mom will like it more than me. It's good, just... not quirky enough for me, lol.

This was the other frimp in my first order, and it's also something I didn't even consider for myself based on the description. Broken heart? Never had one! Maybe because I've never dated, either... Anyhow! Since I'm in no position to be evaluating this based on any voodoo properties, I'm going to describe how it goes based on scent alone.

In the imp: Light and floral. There's definitely lavender in there, maybe also violet. To my nose, it's pretty typically perfumey, though without the part of most commercial perfumes that makes me sneeze.

Wet on skin: Still pretty perfumey and decidedly floral. Lavender still dominates, and I thiiink there may be a tiny bit of rose lurking in the background, though that may also be my uneducated nose playing tricks on me.

Drydown: A few minutes in, I'm getting some lilies along with the other flowers. Maybe something a tad aquatic, like all of the petals are dripping with dew. What's interesting about this is that the throw of this scent smells different from how it does on my wrists. I'm getting mostly rose in the throw (which reminds me of a longtime family friend), but much more lavender when I actually sniff my wrist. Either way, it smells less perfumey and more like the flowers themselves as it dries.

Five hours later: Gone. If I sniff my wrist really hard, there's the tiiiiniest whiff of lavender, but essentially, it's gone.

End of the day: Even if it wasn't gone at five hours, it's most certainly gone now.

Overall: This is a very pretty floral blend, and it is a comforting smell. It is, however, extremely feminine with no qualms or excuses, which rules it out from the list of things I'd wear. It's the kind of thing that would work nicely in a room, though; if anything, that would be more evocative of walking into a dewy garden than having a little patch of scent on the wrists. I'm hoping I have no need to test the voodoo properties of this oil anytime soon, so I'm not sure yet whether or not I'll be hanging on to this imp.

Floral with an unpleasant herbal-astrigent smell underneath. I got this as a frimp and don't have any need for it at this point in my life - and I'm glad as this makes my nose itch!

*goes to wash it off*

I wore some before bed last night and reapplied before I left for work this morning, hoping it would alleviate some break up pain. :P It's a soft, slightly soapy scent that gently holds your hands, reminding you that everything will be alright. I dabbed a little on my cleavage so it would lift some of the heavy nausea weighing down on my heart and lungs (hey, crying really wears you out!). It's patient and gentle without the coddling factor. I think this is a scent I would wear to bed outside of it's Voodoo Blends use just because it's a tad too soapy for daily use. I really think it is a beautiful scent, though.

Floral and sweet! It's very pretty, and soothing rather than crisp. Unfortunately my skin steps on flowers and grinds them into the pavement almost every time. Definitely give it a try! (Sorry I can't be more specific, but I don't know individual flower scents yet.)

(This is the first review I've posted here on the forums.)

This one showed up as a frimp in my last package. The day the package was delivered had been a very bad one for me, a sort of culmination of a couple of months of growing stress with, earlier that day, a large lump of anger and hostility dropped on me that really had me down. So aside from the usual wonderful cheer and joy that a BPAL package brings, thanks to the psychic goblins out at the lab I was able to test this one out immediately for something close to its intended purpose.

This seemed initially to smell like pure lavender, but just after application I could start picking up other notes, something herby, possibly another flower or two. I generally hate floral fragrances, though, so I'm unsure of what I'm smelling. I do know that intense lavender tends to give me a headache and an itchy nose, but this didn't do that to me at all. I found this to be a very soft scent, but extremely strong. A little goes a long way. It has a very appealing scent, and works well on my skin, which florals do not normally do. It has a hint of soapyness on the drydown, but in this scent it works with rather than against the fragrance.

This immediately calmed me and helped me let go of the upset I was feeling. That was several days ago, and last night I was having trouble sleeping. My mind would not shut down, and I kept thinking about upsetting things. I rubbed a bit on my temples and a touch on the back of one hand and was able to drift off quite easily, without the spirals of unhappy thoughts. I am impressed with the effectiveness, and am probably going to put a bottle of this in my next order as a calming sleep aid, though I doubt I'll wear it as a perfume often.

soapyyyyyyyyyy :P I love that :D

I smell lavender, rose and violets.. that is weird, are there any in this oil???

it is very comforting and soft, yes, old~fashion but I like that sometimes, swooning away with movies and such

*need full bottle*

In bottle: lilies. Just lilies. Not nice watery lilies, but 60s-era Avon Grandmother's bathroom lilies.

Wet: Lilies and Ivory soap.

Dry: Ivory soap. That's all I smell. :huh?:

I didn't know this was a conjure oil until reading the description upthread. Hence I spent much of the time huffing my forearm thinking about how much it reminded me of Bayou during the drydown, rather than any psychological effects it might have had.

At initial application it was overpoweringly rosey, with a strong lavander aura that I am not sure about. While bathing my son my arms get very sudsy, but this scent weathered it unscathed. From wet to drydown there is a lot of difference: the first half hour was floral doom, but dried down to a salty, very believable seaside scent. Thinking about the legendary/biblical significance of a dove, the sea comes to mind (after the ark hit land, something about an olive bough, etc etc etc. Sunday school flunk out, here - I can't do the story any justice).

Anyway, while reading the bedtime stories to my son, I noticed that he was very affectionate. He always says sweet things to me, but he was a real schmoozer tonight. He said the nicest things to me before I turned the lights out. Conjure oil effect? I don't know.

i smell lavender ...lots of it.

maybe used for the cleansing/anticeptic sort of scent.. I GET IT...

broken heart...

anticeptic...for healing...

OK OK....but i still dont like it.

Oh my gosh Lavender....backed up by a whole host of screeching flowers. This is headache inducing for me and I'm scared to wear it. I've put a bit on my hand and it's very very powerful. I think if I swiped some on my neck I'd be in trouble!

Heeeeeeeeeeeeeeeavy floral is an understatement.

Having said that, the name and concept of this oil is are absolutely gorgeous. Shame the scent itself is such a flowerbomb!