Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
astrobabe

Leanan Sidhe

... Her perfume is a crush of Irish herbs and flowers, Gaelic mists, and nighttime dew.

In bottle: Very nice herbal smell.

On: Did someone just open a package of Irish Spring?

Dry: It stays soapy for a bit and then disappears. This goes in the naughty Imp box. :(

About a hour later: Where did the soap go? It's a nice warm herbal with a tinge of light florals. I like this... too bad it takes so long to get here.

I have wanted to try this one for ages but I was rather put off by the reviews rating this as a soapy smell. I got a frimp from the lab and plan to order a bottle soon. This is a very delicate herbal scent, with a touch of sharpness like a crushed dandelion stem. It has some similar properties with "The Host of the Air" but much more ethereal...this is a quiet walk during misty Spring dawn rather than romping on the hillside on a sunny Spring day.

This is *super* strong when I first put it on, and it's almost entirely mist and dew, which are notes I'm starting to recognize from other scents (notably To Autumn and The Hesperides). They're notes that I quite like, but they're *really* strong when I first put it on - almost headache-inducing.

It quiets down after about 15 minutes - on me, this is still primarily misty/dewy, but there is a hint of something slightly herbal in the background. It's not an overwhelming scent on drydown, but faint and verys spring/fall wet/damp, like it's been raining recently and everything outside is now misty and cool.

I like this quite a bit on its own, but I really like it as a layering scent - it's a way that I can take almost any other scent I'm in the mood for and make it misty smelling on rainy days when I want to mimic the weather outside.

Good stuff. If I go through the imp fairly quickly, I could see needing a bottle.

imp: this is a wet, greenish/aquaticish scent. something sort of smells like heather.

wet: irish spring. it's a dead ringer.

dry: after a few minutes this settles back down, it smells sweet and green, like fresh-cut grass and flowers after a nice sprinkling of rain.

In the Bottle:

Sharp green herbs.

Wet:

Sweeter florals. Most of the herbal scent has faded.

Dry:

Musky sweet floral. All of the herbal scent is gone.

Overall:

Sweet floral, musk has faded. Overall, I was pretty disappointed. I was really hoping for a nice herbal scent, but instead I got an old lady type scent. It's not awful on me or anything, just not what I was hoping for.

This is a bright floral, very clean almost soapy.

Its a very green fresh scent that I think would be good for hot days, waking up.

Its very refreshing and while I cant pick out any notes, the mixture that it is is simply beautiful

I couldn't pick out the notes in this at all, but I just wanted to add that I didn't like Leanan Sidhe at all.

One of the reasons I love BPAL is that their oils don't smell like stereotypical, department store perfume, and that was all I got from this. It wasn't an unpleasant smell, it was herbal and fresh and clean and everything that you would expect from the description, but it just wasn't as unique as I've come to expect my BPAL oils to be.

If you don't mind perfume-y scents, you may very well love this. It just wasn't for me.

Leanan Sidhe is aquatic, herbal, wistful, misty-flowery. It is ultra feminine and pretty.

It doesn't seem to change very much from the bottle to the drydown.

I think it might be a good scent for someone who likes The Unicorn, Titania or The Ghost for their floral properties, although The Unicorn is more citrusy, Titania is more fruity and The Ghost is somehow darker.

It's just a few too many white flowers for me, with nothing to complicate them.

I really wanted to try this, and just received it as a frimp from a generous forumite, so here goes!

In the Imp: SOAP! So much soap. Something herbal, but mostly soap.

Wet: Soothing herbal, still a little soapy..vaguely aquatic.

Dry: Suuuper herbal, straight up. I can't pick out individual notes, just an herbal soap. This hasn't changed much between the stages.

Out of 10: 4? I think that if you like outdoorsy, herbal smells, then you'd definitely like Leanan Sidhe.

In the imp: Green. Very green. Like a lot of small fragrant plants growing wild and you are walking nearby.

Wet: Soap? This is the first time I am experiencing the soap effect! But it is soap and herbs and small white flowers. Like a morning walk after taking a shower.

Dry: The soapiness disappeared quickly and now it is soft, gentle flowers - barely there and yet not something you can ignore. There is also something green and growing to the scent that stops it from being too plain.

A while later: Unfortunately this one fades quickly. But if I huff my wrist there is the lingering scent of herbs - not cooking herbs, but herbs that are still growing and a vague hint of what is probably a very delicate flower - almost jasmine like, but not quite. Very nice and very subtle.

This is the very first BPAL I've ever worn. It arrived today in a package together with a couple of other imps that I swapped for some other products, and right out of the bottle it smelled so nice that it was the first scent I tried on.

Out of the bottle:

Pretty heady, but fresh. Has an acquatic aftertaste of sorts.

Wet on skin: whoa, flowers! All of a sudden it turns a lot sweeter, still slightly acquatic aftertaste. Where is this going?

Initial drydown: the freshness is back. In comes a little herbal, soapy undertone that I really, really like. It balances the flowery notes out very nicely. I need to keep sniffing hahaha.

Can't say anything yet about the rest of the day, will add as soon as I can.

Edited by Lyanna

Bottlesniff Pale, greenery with a slight tang

Wet on skin That tanginess is amping and smelling very musk. I don't know if "dew" = musk but I don't think I like it.

Drydown Oh yes now I now what that mystery aquatic BPAL note is that turns to rotting feral melons on me. Mental note to self anything called "dew" is feral and rotting on my skin. As this ages it does sweeten and that rancid tang settles down a bit but it never fully goes away. Alas BPALs dew note is anathema to me... :cry2: And I'm stupidly attracted to the word "dew" in descriptions.

Overall Glad I got this and found out once and for all what BPAL note I need to avoid like the plague. Other than that I really can't help you with the smell of this scent as it's obviously gone to a place it goes with no-one else. :nervous:

In the Vial: Fresh and floral, kind of cool

Wet on My Skin: Amidst the florals, I get a mild aquatic. It still has a very cool impression, like an early spring day. I am definitely getting a “dew on flowers” feeling from this perfume.

Dry down: The aquatic becomes a bit stronger as the florals fade, making a really clean smelling, mildy floral aquatic.

Overall: My skin eats this one up, but I enjoy it while I can still smell it. Like many of the other florals I’ve tried lately, I’m hanging onto this one until spring, but I can also see the aquatic in this making it a nice on to wear in winter when you just want to think about spring. Imp is definitely a keeper, but I’m not sure about a bottle.

In Imp: Lovely green herbal with floral undertones

Wet: very "green" scent (I would suppose that is the herbs). As many have said, there is a watery feel to this, but this works on me where many of the Lab's aquatics do not.

Drydown: herbs with faint florals

An hour later: Very faint, but quite pleasant. A perfect springtime scent. Good for a young girl, I would think, or if you have to work in an office since this doesn't have a large throw.

Leanan Sidhe is the scent that convinced me to keep trying green florals. I love this. There's something very wild about Leanan Sidhe, something wet and electric and green. It's sudsy, but not soapy, if that makes any sort of sense; rather, it's a very clean smell, and when it's on my skin I have just an overpowering impression of the color green. The flowers in this provide just enough sweetness to counteract the sudsiness. It's lovely, and I definitely need a bottle.

Very green and floral. Reminds me of a wand perfume my mom used to wear when I was little, like a Revlon Charlie or something. Not exactly the same but similar. It's very sharp and sophisticated.

I think I like this!

Very clean and soapy. I feel like this is perfect for walking in Spring when the air is warm after a rain. Green and fresh.

Surprisingly lovely on my skin! It's florally, but not over-poweringly so. It smells lovely without making me smell like a little old lady (which is always a risk with floral scents on my skin). Win!

I'm not the kind of person to step away from any muse.... I read some of the reviews that said there was a lingering soap-ishness, and I'm seriously in love with, but allergic to Irish spring soap. So, I put her in the 'imp slot' of my perfume box. But, the lightest smell of fresh cut grass kept sneaking over and tapping me on the cheek, and then, there it was again.... I read some more reviews, and there was the grass smell again. I put on the tiniest dab..... Smack! A big wet flowery kiss.... uh huh, uh huh, I like it but.... where is that grass??

After about ten minutes of moody grassssssssss.....maybe not....... I just left her alone to find her comfort zone in my presence. I'm reminded of something special and close to my 'perfect spring day' emotional response, but it's all her. "Flower here, grass there,...... tra la la la la"! If she want's to dance around like that, fine by me. I'll finish this review in an hour or so.

Okay, she seriously started opening a bouquet of amazing 'trippy' little mental flower note cards, perfectly tucked away in their own tiny scented envelope. Wild, and super picky, if you ask me....... Luring, enticing,..... enchanting...... it's her. She say's "Nope", “it's YOUR hand,"... but it‘s her. A very secretive and deeply seductive spirited "Gaelic" dance unfolds. It’s not a foreboding trance dance, but it’s not exactly the sanest or safest pace either.

I'll keep her, she's a blast!

And a very heart-felt and joyful Thank You to the BPALab folks who sent her as a freebee with MY FIRST LAB order. I honestly think in a crowd LEANAN SIDHE could tackle even the sleepiest of imaginations. Cap’s off!

Edited by Bunbun

Leanan Sidhe

In the imp, this smells like pickles. Uh oh. :eek:

No pickles on my skin. Just white flowers and herbs. Maybe some aquatic notes. Also grass.

Bizarrely, the flowers have a headiness to them that reminds me of dragon's blood.

I don't think I will reach for this one. It smells like bathroom spray.

wet and in the imp, this does slightly like stereotypical department store perfumes- it smells like the stuff my grandmother used to send me at christmas when i was a pre-teen. not necessarily too mature for my tastes, just in your face sharp florals and whatever department store brands use to mimic 'green'.

it does start to pull back to slightly less sharp and rounder florals and herbs, but it's still pretty dominate.

i think that this would probably be quite pretty on someone who's chemistry can handle ozone/water and florals better than mine, but i'm not doing this one any justice.