Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
astrobabe

Leanan Sidhe

... Her perfume is a crush of Irish herbs and flowers, Gaelic mists, and nighttime dew.

in the vial it smells like cheap women's floral drugstore cologne. but at the same time it is not overpowering, it is light feeling.

wet on skin: smells very clean, soapy and floral. reminds me a little bit of the smell of Dove soap.
Very green and fresh. I think I can smell honeysuckle (I'm so bad at recognizing floral notes!)

dry on skin: the fresh flowers meadow scent lightens a bit and becomes slightly powdery.

I think I'd want to wear this when I feel my irish/celtic/welsh fiestiness coming out (lol) or just on St. Patrick's day (not to celebrate the awful saint, but rather my heritage)
Would be an awesome scent to wear for Ostara, and MAYBE Beltane. :P

I can't believe I haven't reviewed this one.

I rediscovered this imp, and I'm so glad I did. Leanan Sidhe is a beautiful light floral, no sharp edges or overpowering notes like many florals have on me. It's perfect to wear when you want a lovely, subtle scent, like to a work meeting or something.

This one verges on obnoxious when first applied. It's an aquatic and aggressively soapy floral. It does lighten up as it dries, losing some of the sharpness and sweetening up. I think it might very well be a pretty scent, objectively, but there is some very distinct association going on in my brain - I do not like this one at all.

It smells much more perfume-y than any other BPAL I've tried, and weirdly old-fashioned, all sharp florals and powdery soap.

Total pass on this one.

I had no idea "Irish herbs and flowers, Gaelic mists, and nighttime dew" smelled like Dove soap and Palmolive. :P Who knew...

I love the concept for this scent and I was so excited to try my little frimp when it arrived from the lab... sadly, this scent isn't nearly as gorgeous as it sounds...

:D

Just realized I didn't post my review here...oops.

Leanan Sidhe is a sweet scent, but it's very flowery. It doesn't morph much on my skin; it just stays a very strong floral with a hint of an unidentified herb hiding underneath. It lasted for about 2-3 hours with a very strong throw. I'm not a fan of strong florals, so as much as I wanted to love Leanan Sidhe, it's not for me.

this light floral scent immediately makes me think of springtime. it’s very fresh and green. a little bit aquatic and soapy. quite pretty, but i prefer autumn scents.

In the imp, this is an aquatic with some herbal notes thrown in. I was very surprised! I didn't expect the aquatic notes to be this strong.

It does get a little sweeter on my skin, but even after drydown I'm getting an aquatic, with herbal and floral overtones. It's not bad, but I'm no fan of aquatics, and if I liked aquatics I'd probably go for something a little less ordinary, like Lady of Shallot.

Off to the swap pile!

at first: definitely misty, with some lovely flowers and herbs. lovely stuff.

on: there's an almost ozone-like tang to this. mostly, however, it reminds me of a conventional type of perfume.

1 hour later: soapy and perfume-y.

2 hours later: there's a touch of sweetness now, but it's still mostly the same.

overall: this isn't for me.

Alas, this is such a subtle and faint scent on me that it is barely noticeable. Sad, because it's really lovely. My skin seems to eat it, but what does stay around is herby, floral, and springlike. I just wish it stayed on me a bit more!

Leanan Sidhe is a pretty scent, a nice mix of floral (I think white/pink), green, and water (blue)... good for wearing while relaxing indoors, but to me this is an outdoorsy scent for day or night (I'm thinking of creek walking in the afternoon/long walks on the beach at night hahaha). It's very light and clean/soapy-smelling though.

I got the most compliments for Leanan Sidhe. For a little bit it smells like soap, but then turns into a very lovely and light floral. It also lasted for quite a long time on me. I'm going to be buying a larger bottle of this.

This is wonderful!

I was very much excited about getting this oil. I tried it as I was testing a few different scents and I was dissapointed in how perfumey this smelled- not at all what I expected.

A couple days later I decided to give it a fair trial, and I am so glad I did.

It starts off kind of perfumey smelling (gosh, I am so spoiled by BPAL!), but as time passes it turns into such a beautiful scent! After about 4 hours it changed again into this warm comforting scent almost similar to the dry down of White Rabbit (I know that sounds strange).

It also lasted a good long while (which is rare for me). I love this! When I first put it on I was sure it would dry down to a powdery mess, but I was very wrong.

This is a definate 5ml in the future.

In the bottle: Liquid dish detergent. It makes think more of washing laundry than frolicking creekside.

On my skin: Soapy, synthetic florals. Mreh! :P

In the Bottle: Sweet and clean. I think I’ll like this one but I’m not sure. I’m hoping since I waited so long to finally buy it.

Wet: This is just as good as Fae and Dana O’Shee. I’m really impressed with the fairy scents and I think I’ll be keeping this should it stay well on me.

Dry Down: Faint and luscious.

Mmm, this is nice.

It's light, herbal, and clean. It's perfumey and bright.

This would be a good "first BPAL" scent, since it reminds me of a posh commercial perfume.

Leanan Sidhe: Perfumey, for want of a better word - floral with an alcohol edge.

On: Strong floral, quite pleasant.

Dry: Strong floral, which soon becomes soap. Stupid body chemistry. :P

In Bottle: Soap

On Skin: Wow… Irish Spring? Not trying to be funny, but it is quite soapy on me. And very masculine. An ozone scent with a green feel. The florals mix with the herbs well, I can’t pick out a specific note at all. I love that I can envision a misty Irish moor (sp?) in the early evening just as the sun has finished setting. It is pretty and fits the description well, but it is not me at all. I would like to smell it on a man maybe.

:P The balance between herbal and flower is so unique. Neither is overpowering the other. I liked this one so much, this was the first bottle I ordered.

In the bottle: light, clean, greeny herbal, slightly floral.

Wet: soft green floral. So far so good, the floral aspect isn't turning into old lady mugger.

Dry down: Wow, it starts off all soft and demure, coy. You have to stick your nose next to your wrist. Then, BAM!!!! Leanan Sidhe leaves all pretense behind and kicks you where it hurts. It is still clean and fresh, slightly floral, but the throw amps to the fullest. Wow, this is a lady that will arrive before me, wherever I go. I think my mom would like this. Maybe better on her than me, I am not a floral gal.

30 minutes: very strong, great throw, green floral. In fact, I may change my mind about this not being me.

Conclusion: it reminds me of the comercial perfume "Tommy Girl." Better than that perfume could ever be of course. I am definitely keeping the imp and using it. I may buy 5 ml for myself and my mum.

Rating 1-5 on my skin, this is a 4.

This started out as a whisper-soft green floral, but when it dried it turned into fabric softener with a sour, soapy undertone. Luckily, it faded completely withing two hours.

ADDED March 26:

I too got the dryer sheets smell from this. Very nice, floral dryer sheets, but not what I was hoping for.

A very pale version of Queen Gertrude crossed with the Unicorn. It smells very light, breezy, but green and a little sweet. On my skin, it turned into super clean dryer sheets.

Leanan Sidhe

In the imp: soft and sweet, gently floral, a bit green, a bit soapy…

Wet on skin: the floral scent gets stronger, yet it's still gentle. No more soapiness.

Dry on skin: my goodness, this is a pretty scent! Soft, light, fresh and misty, it's a gorgeous mix of fragrant white flowers and hints of moist green. It's such a springtime scent, brings to mind sweet dewy spring flowers under the moonlight. It really is a fae scent, I think, I could just imagine some haunting and ethereal fairy beings smelling a bit like this. I'm not sure what the floral notes are but I think narcissus may be one of them, and maybe a lily note too…and there's also something sweet and slightly reminiscent of something in Al Araaf.

After a while: this gets better! The scent has become a beautiful white floral scent-rich, full, quite heady, and fringed with green. It's sweet like it's been lightly sugared, but not cloying or foody at all, though it reminds me very slightly of marshmallows, and I smell something which I think is narcissus or fragrant daffodils, and maybe an orchid note as well. Whatever flowers are in this, it reminds me of spring.

This softens and sweetens as time passes, it's like a coating of gentle blossoms sprinkled with the lightest dusting of sugar, and there's also a slight creaminess now, and the green note is gone now.

After a while, I think I know what one of the notes is-lily, probably stargazer lily…because it reminds me of a lily note I smelt in Peitho and Juliet. But it could also be sweet pea, because it reminds me slightly of Aeval (and Juliet).

Verdict: I have had really good luck with the fairy-themed scents from BPAL (Fae, Queen Mab, Dana O'Shee, Fee etc) and this one is no exception. This is a beautiful, haunting, enchanting pale floral scent fringed with green and dew, which blossoms so nicely on my skin. I'm not sure what florals are in this (I'm guessing narcissus, orchid, stargazer lily, sweet pea, maybe all of them?) but they are gorgeous and quite heady and strong, yet refined and soft. There's something ethereal and dreamy about this scent, it seems very much a fairy scent indeed. Upon drydown, the floral scent gets rounder and sweeter and a tad creamy, it's sweet without being cloying. This is definitely one of my new favourites and something I will be wearing a lot of during spring.

ACK! Plastic, super-sweet flowers, and a whiff of rotting fruit.

I wish I knew what was in this because it and my skin chemistry are at war.

It reminds me of Ysatis - this is not a good thing.

Edited by melrose