Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Macha

Storm Moon

The Storm Moon marks the darkest portion of the year. A season of long, impenetrable nights and turbulent tempests. A raging, electric and wet scent: slashing rain notes, rolling thunder, and sharp, cold winds layered by a breath of softly wafting lunar incense, a hint of Luna’s blooms, and the brittle herbs of winter.

First sniff: Perfect rain-washed air – not the scent of a storm approaching, but the wonderful clean watery scent that lingers around the trees and the grass after a soft spring rain.

Wearing: I’m just in love with all of Beth’s storm scents… Tempest was the first to win my heart, but they’re all just wonderful. I really do need to sit down and sniff through them one of these days, because I’m sure I don’t need to keep every single one, but they’re just lovely and Storm Moon is no exception. There does seem to be a deeper note in this one that isn't present in the others.

In the bottle: Sit down and shut up ozone. This kinda knocks me away from the bottle when I open it. I did not get this bottle with me in mind because aquatics and I do not love each other. But I still have to try it, you know. This smells like fabric softener before it even hits my skin so I'm slightly worried about what it will do when I put it on.

Wet: Fabric softener and enough ozone to make my nose tingle when I smell it. This is so not a me blend, but I want to try it anyway.

Dry down: Ozone, rain and fabric softener smell. This is what I was afraid Thunderbird would smell like so I'm eternally grateful that Thunderbird has such a lovely sweet, fruit smell to it rather than a real heavy ozone scent. This is heavy rain. A very heavy oil if that makes any sense. It's less fabric softener and more ozone than most of the other aquatic blends, but it's still not anything I'd really wear as it's a bit too...I don't know...masculine, I guess. It reminds me of deodorants and body washes that the boy gets.

Dry: Ozone with a little fabric softener and a heavy rain smell. Not for me, but I think the boy will love it.

Storm Moon:

Wet: HELLO, OZONE!

Drydown/long-term wear: I agree with Magikfanfic, rain/dryer sheets smell. It's not a scent I'd wear personally, but I bet it'd make a great bath bomb. :P

Fabric softener through and through. I smells interesting in the bottle, sharp ozone and something very clean and fresh.

On me, though, it turns into a really sharp, chemical scent that isn't really pleasant.

On my mother, on the other hand, this turns into a beautiful, fresh smelling perfume that really brings a stormy, wet day to mind.

Unfair. Off to the swap pile.

Edited by Dinah

Storm Moon: For most of Beth's Ozone scents thay son't end up working on me. Both Storm, and Lightning turned very bad on me. So I was a little worried to get this one, but since I haven't missed a Lunar oil yet I wasnt' going to. And I am glad I did.

In the bottle it's very clean, almost soap clean but not fully.

After it drys down it calms down into a sweet floral, ozone, not the uber powerful ozone. But it still stays fresh and clean.

I wore it to work and even after a 8.5 hour night of helping rude people, making cheap coffee and clean icky nasty things it still smelled fresh and Spring/Summer like. It reminds me of a nice rain fall here in Oregon. I love this one.

This is a warm weather scent for me as well. I like it, but it does have a definite men's aftershave vibe which i attribute to the ozone and watery notes. I may keep this at the boy's place, and let him share it if he wants. I think it would smell awesome on a man, but could still smell great in that fresh and clean way on a woman.

wet, this screamed I AM A FLORAL PERFUME! since i don't like florals, and i don't really like smelling like i'm wearing perfume, i figured this wasn't for me.

an hour later, it's dried off and faded a little, and suddenly it smells like rain. the florals are still there but juuuust barely - instead of smelling like FLOWERS, it smells like there are flowers way over there somewhere that have been bruised by the storm.

i think i like this one... i'll just have to remember to put it on way in advance of going somewhere to give it time to smell like what i want.

Rating (on skin): 2/5

Summarised in a word or two: Fabric softener?

In the bottle: Fabric softener, or laundry soap. Very bright and clean, but very synthetic-smelling.

On skin, wet: Nothing but bright, harsh ozone. Maybe a bit of light incense, but I can't be sure, since I'm not that familiar with ozone.

On skin, dry: Still laundry soap! It smells like I just rubbed a dryer sheet over my wrist, and it's doing something strange to my nose.

Conclusion: Not terrible. I wouldn't object to my clothes smelling this way, but I definitely don't want this scent on my skin

Edited by Aredhel

I guess I've discovered what ozone smells like too, and I guess I don't like it.

I will say I got this near the time of the storm moon--or at least near a full moon that in my house in the mountains was winter stormy--beautiful near full moon with clouds racing by, cold, tang of snow in the air. And I thought this scent perfectly captured that...so I was thankful for that experience.

Unfortunately, this does not work for me at all. I guess I don't like air or water scents. In the bottle it was ok, but on me it was like men's aftershave (who said aqua velvet?). Not an unpleasant one, but I didn't want to smell like it. And it last forever! Woke the next morning still smelling it.

Seems to me to have an ozone tang that fades quickly, then I get an evergreen scent, but its not pure pine like some others (my beloved skadi for example) but rather a hint of evergreen and lots of blue watery notes.....

Maybe someone else will want it.

Picked this up with Eggnog recently, and since it just arrived, the review!

Sniff test: AQUAZONE!

Wrist test, wet: Strong. Very strong.

Drydown: As far as the air/water thing goes - I'm more for Undertow, Lightning and Neo-Tokyo (an imp of which came with this, ahh yay). The stick-to power is there. All there. I will have to scrub to test Eggnog. (I keep reaching over to whiff at it.)

Too much something. Maybe its evergreen? It's not me.

Cat's reaction: No-go. She likes my aquatic and air scent kicks fine, but it seemed to be too much for both of us, 'cause she's off in her chair.

Verdict: Will swap for another LE or a big bottle of something normal, or a 5ml and an imp or two or.. whatever.

I'm not easy, just flexible.

I got 2.5ml of this unsmelled, and was on pins and needles, hoping I would like it.

In the bottle, this was scary-strong knock-you-back ozone-aquatic. I was a little frightened, and saved it for the second day of scent-testing. But once it got over the initial "*strong!*" on my skin, it calmed down a bit, and I fell in love. It's very clean, very fresh, maybe just a tiny bit floral; a totally gender-neutral scent. Doesn't smell so much like a storm to me as it does the aftermath of a thunderstorm, when everything is soaking wet and the air has that tang to it. I guess I can understand why some people are comparing it to detergent - but on me, this is what detergent *wishes* it were.

I can see myself wearing this all this summer, when it's hot and muggy out and I just want to feel fresh. I put it on four hours ago and it's still hanging around, so it seems to have decent staying power, although I don't think it's going to make it to eight hours.

Mmmmm. Happy storm smells. :P

Wet: A potent ozone note that borders on the verge of "fabric softener" leaps out at me. Beneath the electric-aquatic tang sits a lovely garden of early spring flowers... tulips and daffodils, a delicate pink-green scent. The florals are vibrant but light, and serve to ground the dangerously dominant ozone. I can catch just a hint of Beth's traditional lunar oils, caught up in the stormy swirl.

Dry: As this scent dries, the florals fade into nonexistence. Lacking such tender restraint, the ozone note crosses over to the dark side... Storm Moon is now more dryer sheet than thunderous sky. However, in the dark side there is power, and I suddenly feel as though I were smothering under a load of wet, freshly washed laundry. The throw at this stage is incredible... unfortunately, I smell like a laundry room.

After sleeping: I tried this on before I went to bed last night (or, should I say, before I was force gripped into unconsciousness by Darth Ozone), and when I awoke this morning I was pleasently surprised. The intense fabric softener scent has faded quite a bit and the florals have reappeared (though they lack their former vibrancy). The lunar oils have manifested in a gentle, incense-like smell, which serves to blend the whole into a subtle, pleasing, clean scent.

Unfortunately, I will be trading this. My sweetie despises most ozone scents, and I don't think I could withstand another onslaught from the Sith lord of aquatics.

wow...this is kind of slapped me across the face. It is pretty strong and I had to move the bottle away the first time I smelled it. My first impression was of soap, and the OZONE. Wow...

on my skin it smells very perfumey...and as it dries down i can pick out some aquatic scents and it takes on a powdery scent. It actually starts smelling little like a very floral fragranced baby powder on me, with that soap undertone. A little too strong for my taste. In fact my head is starting to hurt a little.

I wanted to love this because I LOVE storms in general but I think I might end up swapping this. It is just too strong for me. Oh well.....I'll try it a few more times and see what happens.

This imp was shattered into little bits of glass by good old USPS (what DID they do to a bubble mailer with *plenty* of bubble wrap on the imp to crush it so thoroughly???). It soaked through the packaging and sat in residence with three other imp-swap packages, a book-swap package, and a couple of postcards for my kidlets... all in the 80 degree heat of a metal mailbox.

It wasn't pretty... but I had to salvage just enough oil to give it a try, yanno?

In the bottle (sorta): a clean, almost chemical or antiseptic, floral.

On skin initially: Extremely floral, clean and might have been tolerable if I hadn't been in the bathroom trying to find the leaky imp culprit and dispose of it.

After an hour: I agree with the laundry room/dryer sheet opinions. My bathroom certainly smelled like a busy laundromat on a rainy day, and my wrists agreed even when on the other end of the house from the scent-saturated room.

I can say this much... it has staying power. I still smelled faintly of Storm Moon after I got up this morning, and I'd washed my hands 2-3 times before bed. I even had a hint of it after my shower, so I washed again.

My kidlet's comment: "Why couldn't the smashed imp smell like *chocolate*?

Oh, so *that's* what they mean by ozone. You know, I've been around before, during, and after a lot of thunderstorms, and I've never smelled this smell in nature. To me, it's the smell of electronic equipment. And hairspray.

Yet strangely, I like this perfume anyway. Beyond the ozone I get a gentle, citrusy floral, and even though the ozone makes my nose tingle, it's somehow very energizing. I can imagine wearing this scent on days when I really need to perk up and focus.

In the Bottle Rain and musk

Wet This is rain, lightening, woods (NOT woodsy) and damp pavement. Kudos to Beth. :P

Drydown I love it. I love rain, I love storms, this is so clean and wet and wonderful. YAY.

2 Hours it became slightly masculine, but that's okay, I still like it. Now, I must find the right boy to put this on so I can snuggle up to him. :D

Verdict Definite keeper. It also makes a wonderful oil for home fragrence btw.

In the bottle: Smells like laundry! Like walking by someone's house when the dryer's on and getting that comfy scent of warm dryer-air. Also an under-scent that has a little bite, like granny smith apples or altoids...not necessarily apple or mint, just that little "ting" kind of scent.

On me: Yay! I like this one! That under-scent is there again, like sourpatch kids or sweettarts layered over the dryer-sheet. It's clean and friendly, like a blanket wrapped around you when you're watching a really good movie. It's a comfort, but not stodgy. A very unique scent...you'll get compliments on this one.

~Fox

Bottle (Imp): This smells like fresh summer rain (and a little like dryer sheets, which isn't bad). It's like the air during a thunderstorm, charged with the lightning. I can almost hear the thunder.

Just On: It's a little more like dryer sheets, and I like it. This is the scent of a storm, and the name really fits it.

An hour or two later: Ahhhh, I feel like I'm standing out on the porch during a rain storm. This is another incredible blend, and smells so much like it's name that I keep smelling it. I'm not sure if I want to smell like a storm, but I'm not going to give this one up unless it's a really good trade.

Around 6 hours: Now we've dried way down into almost totally dryer sheet scent. It's not something I hate or anything, I rather like some dryer sheets.

12 hours: All that is left is some dryer sheet.

Overall: This totally lives up to it's name. Even when it turns to a dryer sheet scent, I do like it, but I'm not so sure I want to smell like dryer sheets on a regular basis. I'm a little up in the air about whether or not I will keep this.

After reading other reviews: The touch of floral obviously didn't take over, so that was good. I'm guessing I can smell the ozone, which is probably what reminds me of a thunderstorm. I think that the wet scent is what gives me the dryer sheet thing. I did swap this, but it was pretty good, so I wouldn't complain at having more.

This is my favorite lunacy scent. It is fresh and a little soapy. It does fade on me and turns into a floral scent that I am not to fond of (but that is after about 3hours). I have found that storm is best to layer things with. (dead man's hand keeps it more in its bottle form) My bf loves this scent on me the only oil he asked about...and wondered why I insist on smelling so good when I go to work.

Something I learned with this scent...bpal can make paint melt..dripped a little on my table that I keep my bpal box on and it made the paint bubble.

Storm Moon

Preconceived notions: I liked the name, and I’ve been looking for something both dark and stormy.

In the vial:

Rain and dish soap. I love the way I can really smell the rain, but I wish the dish soap would go away.

On me:

More lemon dish soaap, with a hint of ozone (I think, though I don’t really know what “ozone” smells like), and fresh air. It’s already becoming spicy and mysterious. There’s a lot of citrus, though.

In 20 minutes:

Citurs, salt, rain, something dark. I’m desperately trying to like this one, because I love that rain scent I smell, but the citrus and the dish soap won’t go away. I keep trying to tell myself I’m just imagining it, but it’s still there.

In 40 minutes:

The same.

In 50 minutes:

Beginning to fade.

Overall:

I think I’m going to have to swap this one. I love the rain in there, but the dish soap ruins it for me.

Storm Moon

Strong ozone with a citrus tinge. I slathered this a bit and so I can't tell if its strength is because I applied too much or because it really is that strong. It smells like a scented candle called "Ocean" or "Storm" might smell. It really smells very commercial and a bit masculine to me. Off to the swap pile.

I was so excited about this, but when I got it all I got was soap. soap in the bottle, soap on my skin, soap in the throw, soap in the drydown... soap everywhere. I'm going to hold on to it to see if my friend likes it, but if not it's off to the swaps.

My impression: freshly done laundry, added citrus and I am still out on the ozone bit I have heard described. A scent that would make a lovely air freshner but not one I would wear as perfume. All in all depending on what you want to use it for its 50/50 to me and not my favorite moon scent. :P

Wet: incense, lunar oils (the common note in all the moons that makes them so special and unique) and a touch of ozone. Really, I smell ozone! :D

It's cold, with a metallic twist.

Dry it's something between aquatic and aerial, just like a storm.

I love it! :P

Soap. Both in the bottle and on me. More specifically, laundry detergent. Nice laundry detergent, admittedly. Fortunately, I *like* smelling like nice laundry detergent. *grin* There's flowers in there somewhere, and it reminds me of water, but still the overlying scent is bringing me to the laundry room.

Very light and airy... good for a summer day when I don't want something heavy or cozy smelling.