Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Nadirah

Red Devil

A sinfully playful lust blend. Inspires sexual spontaneity, a little bit of kinkiness, and new and inventive ways to get dirty.

Bloody and menacing, this smells like dragons blood a bit of pepper a touch of rose and possibly jasmine?? Or is this powder under it all patchouli? ?
Very nice, I feel so power hungry. I got this in a trade from Rosefaith and I am diggin this. I went straight for it, since the name diablo vermelho is my favorite drink when in Portugal and this reminds me of that. Deeply feminine and dangerous, seductive and captivating. Slightly rose but spicey in its depths.
Please make more! :P

I can't for the life of me figure out what's in this, but whatever it is, it is NICE. My guess is some sort of rose with a resin or resins, as it smells slightly floral but warm and smoky and mysterious. Dragon's blood turns a very metallic smell on me, so if there is dragon's blood in this, it must be a small amount, or else my body chemistry is reacting differently to dragon's blood than it did a few months ago (which would be a great thing). I was thinking perhaps some myrrh or a deep sandalwood. It's a very sexy, softly spicy, seductive scent. This should be added to the permanent collection of BPAL oils, I think a lot of people would like it.

My "nose" isn't all that developed, so it's hard for me to guess what individual notes might go into this scent, but I think it is mostly resin-based; if it is Dragon's Blood, I'd be surprised, since that hasn't worked well on me in the past. It is a very "red" scent, very powerful and female and sexy with good staying power. Unfortunately, something in it doesn't quite seem to agree with me, as it tends to give me a headache with extended wear - very unusual, and the first time this has happened to me with a BPAL scent.

This smelled very metallic to me -- like hot metal that makes you draw your hand back away suddenly when you touch it. There's definitely a bit of spice (cinammon?) to this one, but it's not a warm, foody spice -- rather, it's a hard-edged spice. I found it pleasant enough at first, but it seemed to get more and more metallic on me with wear.

I will update after I've tried it again.

Got this as a freebie--very interesting! It reminds me of Dr Pepper (without the fizz)! Weird eh? Maybe that's it--it's essence of flat Dr Pepper--like that last dribble from the can that's been sitting in your hot car.

As far as the voodoo aspect of it--I definately have had lovin' on the brain. So maybe those high priestess' do know what they're doing!

First sniff: There’s orange in Red Devil, the same sort of dark masculine orange as in Deimos, and maybe a sprinkle of ginger. It’s a very firm scent, with well-defined edges, standing its ground.

Wearing: Orange blossom and a sunset-red glow, wonderfully smoldery. As it dried it shifted to a cool, delicate flower, like an unsweetened jasmine. Both stages were very nice, but the first definitely pleases me more.

FIRST SNIFF: definitely orange with a hint of spice

WEARING IT: i'm with shollin, this totally reminds me of deimos at first. as it wears on, i find it to be more spicey, i think there's cinnamon in it. reminds me of cinnamon hearts with a kick of orange thrown in for good measure

VERDICT: not something i'd particularly buy but i'll use up the imp :P

I was getting what I'm guessing to be a rose scent from the bottle and when I first applied, very sexy and assertive. After about ten minutes or so, the scent changed a little to something a bit spicy, maybe the ginger that people are smelling? Reminds me more of cinnamon. There is some sort of resin-y scent also, similar to some incense I have burned before.

All in all, I quite like the scent. It's a bit familiar. Red Devil is sweet, but not too sweet, floral, but not too floral. I recommend this to those of you who liked Seraglio and Delight.

-doreen

In the bottle: orange and spicy floral.

Wet: spicy - maybe cinnamon - and citrus-sweet. Went slightly metallic for a while until it dried.

Dry: spicy, dry and “hot” - something I would relate to the loa Ogùn.

Verdict: I don’t know about the sexiness bit, but this is a very yummy scent. I'll definitely be trying this one out again.

I'm not going to review this the way I usually do, because it's odd to review a voodoo oil as if it were a perfume .. and I dont' see these as perfumes, really.

Red Devil is supposed to be a scent that inspires lust and playfulness. Sadly, on both myself and my husband, it just made me wrinkle my nose up and want to wash it off. It's hot, and spicy for certain .. if there's ginger in this than maybe that's why it's not working for me, as I'm not really a ginger fan.

Sadly .. swapping away this one.

I got a wee whiff of orange and some florals from the vial, but when I put this on it turned into pure soap! Floral soap! Damn it.

I agree that this is a very red scent; however, as so often happens with me and red scents, this totally sidestepped any sexual associations and turned me into a fireball workaholic. Everytime I wear it, my energy goes through the roof and I want to work out hard until I drop, then tackle every task around the house I can. Which is probably a more pragmatic use of my time than the "new and inventive ways to get dirty" as promised. :P I liked the scent on this more than I would have thought - it begins very red and spicy scent (dragon's blood and cinnamon?) but then dries down to something sweeter, yet still empowering. This is a great scent to kick your confidence into gear.

Friendly little devil! This one behaved differently on me than on most of you--it was neither dangerous nor sexy nor assertive; it was a soft and lovely citrus with the slightest touch of spice, and it perched lightly on me like the proverbial devil on your shoulder and made me smile. Much like Shollin, I got the sense of orange turning into orange-blossoms. Very playful and pleasant. In Smilie terms I would say it was :D, not :P as I was expecting.

Now for the Voodoo aspect: I dabbed this on right before bed and then put my wrist under Brian's nose and said, "Does this make you feel lusty and playful?" And Brian said, "dosh werk f'yer slep?" which translates as (I think) "does it work if you're asleep?", because he was already pretty much gone. :D However I should note that things had already been very frisky earlier in the evening at our new apartment (have to break it in, you know), so it really wasn't fair to expect Red Devil to do much. I'll try it again when I seriously want to induce lusty playfulness. :D

I'm remiss in my duties.

I tried Red Devil (given to me by a friend along with The Raven and Satyr), and my reaction was, "Hmm... Okay..." and not much else. I figured I didn't have anything to say because it was just kind of 'well, okay' and I had already been feeling somewhat naughty before putting it on.

I figured I'd try it again to see its effects, but I just haven't been interested in it at all since then. I think I could easily forget about it entirely. Finally, upon seing Laurel_the_Woodfairy's review, I decided to just write something, as I believe that something is better than nothing.

But now I've rambled on and on, and here's the real review:

It's quiet, soft, gentle, and utterly unremarkable for me. This is probably because I like my scents to be strong, spicy, and dark. This was none of these for me. It was kind of herbal and soapy (which I've heard is true of all the Voodoo oils). I didn't get any of the spice others have mentioned, either in the bottle or on me, nor the citrus notes. Maybe my nose is funky.

I'm going to keep it around for now, and if I don't forget about it, I'll try it again, preferably when I'm not in a spunky mood (to see if it encourages one). As a scent, it really isn't me, I don't think.

I quite like this one. It's only the second voodoo blend I've tried, but from what I hear they're all somewhat herbal, and this is no exception.

At first it's soapy-herbal - not offensive, but not wonderful.

Drydown is an absolutely lovely, subtle, slightly sweet skin scent. I *really* like it. I don't know about its voodoo effects, but the scent is delightful.

In the bottle: Sniffing my imp, I could swear that there is a sweet melon note in this one, but as nobody else has mentioned it, it is entirely possible that I am just mislabeling one of the other notes. In any case, it is underscored by a soft, sweet spice, a dash of orange, and a faint herbal note. The combined effect makes me want to drink my impful of oil!

On my skin: Red Devil quickly deepens into a dark, lush herbal scent. The cinnamon is still prominent, but it never really becomes the focal point; instead, it supports and accents the herbal base. The melon-esque note is still present, but it alternates ducking behind and soaring above the spicy herbal notes.

Overall: This has immediately landed on my MUST HAVE 5mL list. It is soft and understated, to be sure, but the darkness of the herbal notes lends Red Devil an edgy, powerful undercurrent that is utterly irresistible! I've yet to test its effect on others, but in my own reactions I can certainly see evidence of the truth in Beth's statement of purpose for this blend! :P

in the vial: I have no fucking idea...wait, orange peel...orange peel, that slightly sweet, mostly vegetable smell of flower petals, and pepper. Cartoony.

on my skin: Ooooooooooh. Sexy, yes, kinky, yes, and definitely surreal. I'm picturing little devil cartoons from the 1940's in my head. It gets cinnamony when it hits my skin, but the orange peel is most prominant. It reminds me of Seraglio without the spice, only I didn't find Seraglio all that sexy, but I find this sexy. The song that pops in my head is "Peek A Boo" by Siouxsie. I'm picturing Siouxsie Sioux in a red rubber dress. I'm not sure exactly what that means.

I also find this to be a slinky, sexy oil. In the vial, the dragon's blood and cinnamom smell delicious. I love it wet on my skin, but as it dries, an herbal note appears that doesn't quite agree with me. After a couple of hours, the herbal note goes a little powdery, everything blends together and it smells lovely. Don't think I want to go through the drydown again, though, so off to swaps it goes.

Vial: YUMMY. There's something orange-y/citrus in there, but there's a lot of deepening by multiple spice agents. Also, I have the sinus headache from the 7th level of hell (great for perfume sampling, but of course) and when I took a whiff from the vial, it receded for a moment. Sweet.

Wet: Orange and spice. Along with something a little sweet.

After 10: The warm spice is still there, but it's powdery now and has a floral tinge to it.

After 20: A light floral scent with a fairly hefty powdery kick, and a remaining tinge of that initial orange/spice kick. Nice, but on me nothing really special. Actually, the more it dries, the more it smells like Cordelia does on me on the drydown. I think if it can be turned sweet, my chemistry will do it and I think if there's a hint of floral, my chemistry likewise turns it into a rocket and the predominate scent. Interesting.

Edited to add: after about 45 minutes, and right before I showered, the resin perked up a bit and kicked the floral down. That made it much nicer for me.

Edited by pkwench

At first, it's apparent that this is a red scent. It makes me think of red leather, not that it smells like leather. It's hard to pin it down, besides red spicy warmth with warm florals. After an hour or two, it a becomes a clean scent. Sort of like Come to Me, except it's not triple-milled soap or any sort of washing agent, it's the scent of clean nothingness. Quite pleasant. Then, I think four hours later, it's the clean, with a tiny hint of floral soap.

red devil

at first: fabulous. sweet, like pink bubblegum, a bit of liquor, and something i can't quite place. a "dirtier" version of formula 54, definitely sexy and fun.

on: hmmm...i can't really pick the notes out. a bit fruity and herbal, perhaps?

1 hour later: i smell somthing kind of weird. it might just be an unfamiliar fruit. interesting, but i'm not sure if i mean that in a good way.

3 hours later: a lot lighter. an odd scent.

overall: i'll need to try this out for its intended use. i wouldn't repurchase based on scent alone, though.

First sniff:

Cinnamon maybe? Or is it Dragon's Blood? I'm thinking Dragon's Blood. Whatever it is, it smells lovely. :P

Wet on the skin:

Yep, that's Dragon's Blood, alright. It feels kind of tingly on my skin, too, so I'm guessing there's cinnamon in here, too. I like this scent a lot, but it's already fading on me and I've barely put it on. :D

Dry down:

It's settled down into a nice, spicy resin type smell, which I adore, but it's so light that I can barely pick it up anymore. I'm also not feeling the effects, but maybe it's just because I've had a bad day and I'm really not in the mood for that sort of thing right about now.

The bottom line:

I'm not entirely sure how I feel about this one yet, I'll probably have to give it another try before I decide. The scent is nice, but not strong enough for me, but I didn't intend to wear it for the scent. The effect is also lacking, but that could just be due to my craptacular day today and not to any shortcomings in the formula. This one's going in the undecided pile. :D

~ Penance

I recieved this from another forumite and Red Devil is.. interesting.

It's the first voodoo blend that hasn't really worked on me. The cinnamon notes come across way too strongly in the first couple hours. I feel like a stick of Big Red. (Which isn't the worst thing in the world, just not my preference.)

I may end up swapping this one away, it's really not my type of scent, unfortunately.

Red Devil reminds me of a more light-hearted, flirtaceous Puck. Like the difference between an ambiguously arched eyebrow, versus an unambiguous goose.

I'm getting the jasmine-lotus type of floral, backed by some light, smoky resins. And as the oil warms up, I'm also picking up a grape note (which brought Puck to mind).

No one is following me down the street offering to buy my bathwater (which did happen a few years back on rue St Denis), but I do feel bright-eyed and efficient.