Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Nadirah

Red Devil

A sinfully playful lust blend. Inspires sexual spontaneity, a little bit of kinkiness, and new and inventive ways to get dirty.

In the vial, this smells like a spicy orange and floral scent; it sort of reminds me of spiced, sweet oranges. On my skin, sadly the lovely orange scent has disappeared and this immediately becomes rather like soap - a floral-herbal soap, perhaps with a touch of sweet cinnamon in it, but soap none the less. After a couple of hours, this fades to a very, very soft breath of floral sweetness against my skin...

Hmmmm, interesting..... this smells a little bit like spicy soda pop on me, I can see the comparisons to Dr. Pepper. It's definitely a dark red/brown scent, and it's sexy and playful. There is something deep and resinous in there, like a red musk with a hint of cinnamon undertone. I can also detect some dragon's blood. This is a lovely, flirtatious little number. :P

I tried this last night after spending the day with The Tell-Tale Heart plus a little Bloodlust later, so maybe that's why I didn't get any spices or dragon's blood from Red Devil.

What it smelled like to me was lotus and something like gardenia or jasmine (at a certain point, I was reminded of Oneiroi, so maybe it was rather jasmine than gardenia).

I'll have to try this again, to see if I get any spices or dragon's blood.

So far, I don't think this will ever be a bottle. I might keep the imp, though, as it's nice to have a variety of Voodoo blends at hand.

In the bottle: Cherries and cinnamon!

On the skin: Orange slices! But not actual slices from an orange, but those candy orange slices with sprinkled sugar on them. There’s still a bit of spice here, but not it’s lost most of its strength.

I really like this blend! The only problem I have with it is that it doesn’t last very long on me (story of my life: my chemistry loves to eat BPAL), so I think I’ll be making a spray of this.

Or maybe just scent my pillowcases? :P

I wish I would of gotten more floral citrus from this because those combinations is what my skin seems to love the most but sadly it turned into soap as it was upon my skin. Poo. It was nice soap though. Off to the swaps!

This smelled like every single other voodoo blend I've tried: grassy and herbal. ::shrug:: I tried wearing it to bed to see if it sparked sexy dreams, but I got nada. I'll try again after my cycle moves on.

FLORAL! I'd say jasmine or stephanotis - something white and waxy, anyway. There's an undercurrent of cherry and cinnamon, too, but all it's doing is rounding out the floral. Mmmm....

Edited by RougeNoir

My undoubtedly wrong guess is ylang-ylang and white musk. But I agree that Red Devil is a light floral scent. It would be interesting to see what type of kinkiness it scares up.

It's orangey at first, then it softens into a floral scent with some gentle herbs. But the orange scent sticks around and brightens it up. There's a little bit of spice in there, but I have no idea what it is.

Like most of the other Voodoo Blends, this isn't something I'd wear as perfume, but I'd like to test it for its intended use. :P

strong jasmine sweetened with cherry and spiced with cinnamon. a bit like dr. pepper, as others have noted. unfortunately this is one of those blends where the jasmine goes “soapy” rather than sexy. damn skin chemistry, why do you only like jasmine SOME of the time?

At first this is orange and spice, then it dries to a resin base (very light dragon's blood maybe?) with a little spice and floral. Jasmine I think, or something that reminds me of it. It's not as strong as jasmine usually is, nor has it given me the brief stabbing headache it normally does. In any case it's difficult for me to work out what's in it, although if it is dragon's blood I should be able to tell as soon as the other notes fade as it always outlasts every other note on me.

Does it work? I don't know since I haven't had a chance to test that yet. But I can see how it could very easily...

And yes, I'm almost positive that's dragon's blood in there now. Even while typing this it's got a bit stronger as it is wont to do on me. That would also explain why I rather like this.

I don't get any of the orange or grape that some others who have tried this oil smelled. All I get initially is dragon's blood--pretty standard and unblended (tending toward the sweet, lilac side of DB). However, upon drydown, the oily base that is in quite a few Voodoo Blends (like Black Cat, in particular) that also has a somewhat herby edge, emerges. Try as I might, because I like the topnotes in a lot of the VBs, I can't get past those oily notes.

Well this is an odd thread of reviews to compare with my experience. I don't get any orange or citrus, and no cinnamon or spice.

Instead, when I open the vial I get a faintly medicinal blast of mild camphor - something that smells, in fact, like an old-fashioned liquid vitamin tonic (I smelled a vintage vitamin tonic in an antiques store once.). Nothing here smells red or devilish, but there's something about it that says "Yep, I'm a Voodoo Blend."

On my skin I continue to smell the camphor, as well as a light violet. An old-fashioned posey in an apothecary glass jar. Within five minutes it turns strongly soapy, and here I discern the lilac note that other posters mention. After fifteen minutes it becomes a cold soapy floral, and then segues without pause to a mild, spicy floral soap, very much like the perfumed sandalwood bars you buy in Chinese import shops.

Huh.

At no stage does it match my chemistry, so it's off to the swaps.

Edited by bheansidhe

In bottle: fruity and floral

Wet: fruity and floral and with a touch of what seems to be RED patchouli (luckily)

Dry: Much like the wet, not terribly strong.

Later: Sweet and spicy, mild, low-medium throw, nice.

Summary: Pleasant but not as much fun or umph as, say, French Love. I'll enjoy the imp.

This reminds me very much of Samsara, which I used to wear all the time years ago. And now I understand why, when I wore it, I was approached by so many men, either wanting to know what it was for their wives, or wanting to know what it was so they could stand closer to me!

I'll definitely be keeping this! :P

This blend is a slightly metallic, clean-smelling blend featuring citrus, florals, and pepper. It's clear, herbal, and quite insistent. I like it in the bottle, but on my skin, it becomes aggressively soapy – I don't care for it.

Others have detected patchouli or dragon's blood in this blend, but to me it smells nothing like either of those. Some have compared it to Blood Kiss or Snake Oil. I want to know what oil these people got. Red Devil is floral, herbal, and sharp, like herb/citrus soap, and because citrus tends to hide on my skin, it lacks the depth that goes into a really sexy scent for me. I suspect the culprit is violets, which always goes to shrieking soap on me. With something bottoming this, it would be all right, but as it is, it's all topnote. Like listening to a two-year-old screaming in your ear.

Soapy, feminine, perfume-y, and on me, it's utterly banal. How sad!

Red Devil smells very citrusy and floral at the same time. I love dragon's blood and I don't smell that here at all. I do detect a little cinnamon or spice notes which I do like very much. It is clean and fresh and not over powering but the scent fades pretty quickly. I liked it much better the longer I wore it after everything blended together. While I do like this, I don't think I will be purchasing a bottle-it just doesn't last very long on me. :P

Red Devil was a frimp I received with my last order. It sounded interesting, so I thought I'd give it a go.

Initial Impression: spicy herbal

On Wet: spicy herbal with floral undertones

On Dry: turned all old and musty potpourri on me. Ew.

Final Impression: I don't want to smell like my grandma's potpourri, but I did receive a few compliments today on my appearance. Maybe I can mix it with something else..

Rating (on a scale of 1 to 5): 2.5

got this as a frimp with my last order. i mostly get strong, strong jasmine. perhaps some dragon's blood and a hint of pepper. reminds me of aries 2007 as bit. my skin really amps jasmine, so i am not so keen on this one.

Oh, dear, sweet, lovely Lab. I love getting blends I'd never try on my own as frimps. For some reason, I feel this drive to try all of the Voodoo blends. But this one, I've never thought about ordering, since a lot of peeps noted that it had a hint (or more) of jasmine, and well. Jasmine and I will never get along.

In the imp, Red Devil smells kind of like a fruity version of Windsong (the commercial perfume). It's nice; yeah, yeah, I like an old lady perfume, phear me.

But, uh, there's really no need to describe what happens once it hits my skin, other than: JASMINE.

Damn it, jasmine. Why does one flower hate me so, so much?

I smell dragon's blood and strawberries. Something bubbly and spicy, reminding me of a sinister Aunt Caroline's Joy Mojo. It's a big, round, beautiful blend. I want to SOAK IN THIS. It makes me want to put on some scary boots and cause trouble. :P

In the vial (initial impression):

Smells pure, like opium and... roses? Not really what I expected to smell!

Initially on (wet):

Seems like roses, opium and - white musk? It's still a fairly "pure" scent on my skin, not the sinful type at all. Let's see how this develops...

Wearing it (dry):

10-20 mins after application, it has warmed up a bit, but it's also gone soapy. Ick. Please get better!

20-30 mins after application, it has gone softer and warmer, but still a bit soapy. Hmm.

An hour later, it has practically faded away entirely, which saddens me. I'm gonna give it another try tomorrow.

Finally:

Nope, same result as yesterday. This is a swapper.

There is something REALLY REALLY SWEET in here... plus a herbal-y powder that means "jasmine Voodoo Oil". I really dislike it; I couldn't explain why, it just hits the wrong chord with me.

As for its voodoo efficacy - well, I can't test its intended purpose with other humans right now. As for dreams & whatnot... eh. I tried it before bed, it did nothing, I'm not especially interested in further testing.

Oh well.

Dragon's blood, cinnamon, and something I can't quite sniff out. The overall effect is sort of candle-y and waxy on me. Not great.