Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Nadirah

Red Devil

A sinfully playful lust blend. Inspires sexual spontaneity, a little bit of kinkiness, and new and inventive ways to get dirty.

Right away, there is a sharp citric smell, like orange peels. There is also something peppery in this, the inside of my nose tingles every time I sniff my hand. Once this settles down on my skin, it becomes very light, I can barely smell this.

Yay for swaps/sales! This is defiantly one of my favorite scents, but a little goes a long ways.

In the imp: Jasmine, I dunno about this... But a jasmine that likes me!

Wet: One drop is quite enough! A very nice jasmine, almost tea-like, tempered by a touch of rose and something that reminds me of childhood spent running through my dad's garden-soft fragrant white flowers...I love this

Dry: Jasmine is still there actually getting along with my skin (score for BPAL!), maintaining that white flower blossom scent. Quite a lot of throw and staying power.

Final Verdict: I love this scent! I was a bit squeamish towards florals and Red Devil helped change my mind. I would spring for a bottle but I really only need one-two drops so I think this imp will last a while yet.

In bottle: Grapefruit dominant. Bright and friendly and a little sharp. Wet: Still grapefruit dominant, but sweeter and a little gummy, with a touch of berry and spice. Dry: Fast fades to soft herbs.

On me this totally smells like a dentist's office. I guess that could be kinky. :lol: Red Devil definitely has dragon's blood resin in it, which probably accounts for my weird skin chemistry reaction. Might be some Rose too, but it's hard to tell.

jasmine, rose, something is turing very powdery which might be the dragon's blood. i remember this scent being a lot stronger on the cinnamon, however, my imp is well aged perhaps that note or some peppery one has been tempered with time.

I'm on the fence. I'll have to try it again.

Imp: big red gum

Wet: big red gum

Drydown: big red gum, and maybe roses.

Dry: pretty much the same, but softer.

Overall: off to swaps, where maybe it will find a home with someone that it doesn't smell like gum on.

Red Devil is one of the Conjure Bag scents that I have a BB of. I had to buy it just for the name (I am a Red Devil myself). It is very citrus and bubblegum, and reminds me A LOT of Lolita, but Lolita has more staying power for me.

I do love this Devil, but it is very light.

I've been wanting to try this for a long time and it miraculoulsy made it into an order as a frimp! In the imp and while wet there's a bit of a tussle as the notes settle down, but when they do it's a soft orange jasmine on me. No cinnamon or rose that I can detect. I really like this!

In the imp: no singular note stands out to me except possibly something floral, but there is a definite femininity to this blend.

Wet, on skin: clean, floral, and something deeper than that - cinnamon or pepper?

Dry, on skin: very soft citrus, rose, cinnamon, slight bubble gum effect - dragon's blood?

Overall: Not bad! Looking forward to testing the, ahem, lust factor of this with my SO... ;)

I recieved this as a frimp, and oh dear jesus. It is dishwashing liquid. I am laughing so hard, it smells like I;ve just dunked my head in a vat of fairy liquid and I'm desperately trying to see the sexy in it, but I feel like a 1940s housewise waving around a dishrag and oh, oh dear. Drying down, it smells like alcoholic washing up liquid. I am a 1940s alcoholic housewise. This is what Red Devil has made me. :lol:

Heavy citrus and floral spice soapiness which unfortunately reminds me of cheap hotel soap. icon_neutral.gif I guess that could be kinky, but not for me.

ITI: With a name like Red Devil, I was expecting something heavy on the cinnamon, which is not the case at all here. I think there's orange here, perhaps a touch of ginger, something fizzy, and a very light floral, like carnation or peony.

Wet: Orange, ginger, lotus I think (slightly bubblegum on my skin, which lotus tends to do), a bit of spice, and still a fizzy note. It's interesting.

Dry: The ginger and spices are much stronger now, but they compliment the orange well. There still is a floral in there, and I do think it's carnation. As far as its impact, I get chills after smelling it, but all I want to do is nap.

I received Red Devil as free imp with my Christmas bpal order, and since the boy and I were snowed in last night it seemed like the perfect time to try it out...

In the imp, this smells like a red fruit rollup to me, but I put it on anyway, for science :lol:

Wet on my skin, I got clouds of floral notes along with a really spicy smell, maybe cinnamon? Whatever it was, it was strong, and changing rapidly. I sat down next to my guy and he was all over me immediately and asking what the smell was. Things were going really well until...I had the worst allergic reaction to this oil than I have ever had with a perfume!

I applied it to my wrists, the crooks of my elbows and behind my ears, and after 5 minutes of wearing Red Devil I had giant itchy welts in all of these places, and to top it off a pounding headache that didn't go away for the next three hours.

It makes me so sad that I reacted that way because this is an amazing, powerful scent, and it definitely did its job! :cry2:

Oh well!

Red Devil was a frimp with an order that I got late last year. I remember it being sharper and headier when it was fresh, and strong enough that I had to wash it off after a while. Now the scent has softened to a point where I might be able to wear it without getting a headache, if I'm having a good day. This is not one of those days, sadly, so I'm going to wash it off again after I write this review because I'm feeling the migraine-warning tingles in my head.

At first there's a strong citrus top note, maybe grapefruit, but unfortunately it dissipates even before the oil is dry. There are some florals in here, but they're not too heady; if I had to guess, I'd say that there's jasmine in here somewhere. Something warm and slightly powdery is holding everything together. The powder could be a rose and the warmth might be cinnamon or cassia. I do get a whiff of Big Red Gum, like Dani87. After the oil dries, I can't really smell it unless I bring my wrist within a few inches of my nose. Maybe if I hadn't kept huffing my arm to figure out the notes, I wouldn't have needed to wash it off today.

It's a pretty scent, but Red Devil wouldn't have the intended effect on me or on my husband. Floral scents don't do it for me, and it's hard to feel sexy if I'm afraid I might get a headache. As for my husband, when I had him smell my wrist, he liked it well enough but his reaction was fairly mild compared to something like Snake Oil or Playful Wooden Mallets, the two he loves the most on me. He has a weak sense of smell anyway, so 99% of the time I'm wearing scents purely for myself. I don't know if it's worth hanging on to the imp for a third try try. It might work when I haven't been exposed to any migraine triggers in the last few days, but I have many other scents I really love that don't require the wind to be blowing the right way, the moon to be in the right phase, my shirt to be the right colour, the geese to be flying south, etc. ;)

This was a frimp from the Lab.

In the imp: Orange hard candy. It’s much too sweet to be the actual fruit, but light, so it’s not overpowering.

Wet: There’s a very brief hint of floral, but I couldn’t identify which flowers.

Dry: A few minutes after application, I smelled a spicy note. The skin on my arms where I had applied the oil was red, though I didn’t feel a burning sensation. Fresh cinnamon in blends often does that to me, so I’ll echo others’ reviews in saying there’s cinnamon in this blend. The redness cleared after a short time.

Red Devil dries down to a resinous, sweet orange and cinnamon candy. I’m going to see if some aging smooths out the cinnamon, because I like this final stage.

Frimp of unknown age which came with a recent set of decants I bought.

Imp: White fruits, apricot, and a touch of pink pepper

Wet: There is definitely, 1000% no cinnamon in this - because even blends with the slightest HINT of cinnamon (and we're talking so slight my nose can't detect it) cause me to come out in huge red welts within seconds of application. Red Devil does nothing like that. I'd also stake all my savings on there being no dragon's blood either - the oil itself is way too light, and it doesn't do the rank thing DBR normally does on me. During the wet-to-dry stage, I get hints of rose - probably rosewater, or the soft white rose that featured in the Lupers a couple of years ago? Again, the usual bpal rose is a death note on me, and this stays very pleasant from start to finish. Predominantly fruits and florals, with a touch of sweet resin - my best guess is amber and/or white sandalwood. The overall effect is a slightly fruitier version of Mouse's Long and Sad Tale.

Dry: A soft, sweet powder, but not talc. The more it dries, the more I'm suspecting golden amber as a base, with top notes of fruit - apricot or peach, and maybe guava or pink grapefruit. Possibly pomegranate but that usually turns into toilet cleaner on me and this hasn't done so.

Nothing about Red Devil suggests red to me - this is light, bright and golden, with faint streaks of pink like a summer sunrise. This is what I imagined Versailles would smell like before I tested it. The life is average, around 5-6 hours, and the throw is pretty light after the first hour or so. Pretty, feminine, and very spring-like; I'd put it amongst my recommendations and would possibly buy another imp in future.

Stars: ★★★½

I just got this as a freebie and was drawn to it because it smells in part like my pomegranate oil.

Bottle: Orange, grapefruit and pomegranate and a little pink pepper.

Wet: Blended citrus -- reminds me of a beach drink we made called Surfing Fuel that had lots of fruit in sprite. An impish touch of light pepper again. This is a silly scent, but I don't get any cinnamon from it.

Dry: More peppery, but then once the fruits fade from the top, there doesn't seem to be much left underneath. Whatever's left is faint and a little fizzy.

Edited by Casablanca

I'm getting a weird metallic smell, must be dragon's blood. Though I do get the jasmine around it. But together it's just very odd.

I think I'm picking up pepper and a stark, white floral. Not too sure what dragon's blood smells like, so I can't confirm this. Maybe some citrus rind, but that's hiding in the back. Reminds me of white sheets that have been starched. This is not friendly, very standoffish.

Wet this is shockingly spicy, to the point of being offputting even to me--there's a lot of cinnamon there, and definitely pepper. As it starts to settle there's also some orange, which is actually very juicy and nice. Eventually some rose comes in, and then some strangely watery jasmine. When it finally settles down what's left is...watery oranges? I doubt this is what it's meant to smell like, but sadly it's weird on my skin.

I had a bunch of forgotten imps never reviewed that I'm now returning to. This is from 2009, 10-year-old aged imp. Pale in colour. 

Imp: Something clean fresh, floral, and cinnamon? 

On: I really do seem to get lots of spices. Mainly cinnamon is all I can recognise. Something orangey in the background but spice has taken the forefront of this aged scent. 
I'm finding this really interesting because fresh reviews have suggested no cinnamon at all or very little at the start, but perhaps it's a mix of pepper with herbals that is making me think of it? Either way it's verrrry prominent in this aged imp. 

Drydown: The "spice" eventually fades away and I'm getting a lot more orange. I don't really get florals or rather, not really good at picking them, but generally I'm not a fan of them so the fact I haven't noticed any is a win for me. Occasionally I get a whiff of it and it makes me think of Fanta haha! Perhaps even with Jasmine tea in the background. 

I remember when I first got this imp I wasn't interested, but trying it now aged I'm really enjoying it. 

Verdict: The aging really brought out the spice in this imp. I really liked the spiciness at the start and sweetness at the end.