Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Penance

Wolf Moon 2004

This is the dead of winter, the year’s dark hibernation, the crystalline silence of the depths of the world’s darkness. It bears echoes of the time before time, of primordial gloom. This Moon harbors memories of man’s life before fire.

I got this as a freebie imp in a swap with VelvetSky. Thanks love!

Wow, who knew wolves were so...sweet? Hee. This starts off as a cool, fresh, bright aquatic berry scent with the lightest hint of muskiness on me, and stays very true to that first impression.

This is not a summer berry fruit scent, though. It's a winter berry, unexpectedly vivid and shining in the snow. There's something about it, though...a feeling of watchfulness, of stillness to it. It's almost disturbing, but not quite. Very interesting.

I can't believe I haven't reviewed this yet considering how much I love it. On my skin this is piney sweetness, with some aquatic tones. As it dries down it takes on a bit of a spice(maybe ginger?) but still stays piney. Very slightly floral, it stays pretty much in the background on me. I also get a slight musk from this. One of my favorite lunar blends by far.

In the bottle: A clear, cool, almost appley scent, evergreeny but not obnoxious about it. Light, pleasant.

Wet: The apple notes go away, and it lapses back down into a sweet sort of light pine fragrance. It's actually very similar to Jabberwocky, I think, though I haven't gone and compared the two right off. It's a bit sweeter I think, though... probably those elusive 'traditional lunar oils', whatever those are. I don't know if it's 'dark' or 'gloomy', but it's certainly pleasant.

Dry: It gains a bit of spiciness (I think /everything/ goes a bit 'spicy' on me when it dries), more towards I'd say...juniper. Still faintly sweet, still evergreeny. It does fade into subtlety in a comparatively short period of time (I had to be right up on it, after wearing it to work today), but it's still there (and I'd like to see some alcohol based perfume last like that).c

Final opinion: I bought a 5ml of this when it popped up on the forums, even though I hadn't gotten my imp yet. I figured I could flog it/trade it if it didn't work, but I have to say, I love it. I may trade off the imp (since I don't need /that/ much of it) but the bottle is definitely a 'win'. Some pine-type scents (Black Forest) go really sharp and unpleasant on me (bathing in pinesol anyone?) but this, and Jabberwocky both, retain the sweet pine of fresh forests, not the old sour pine of cleaning solution.

I bought this bottle 2nd hand after a meet n sniff... and I must say that I don't get any of the aquatic that most people seem to mention... its buttery in the bottle... a little animalistic but not stinky or masculine...

on it almost immediately goes floral... but not sweet... theres still the undercarriage of the butter that keeps it grounded...

this is definately a good scent... and even though it was a winter moon, I like it just fine in summer!

In the Bottle: Wet, herbal, very light musk like a warm body closeby, a tangy note of some herb... a lot like the herbs on Cold Moon, for me.

Dry: A lot of water, very herbal, the musky note has moved away. This is a very cool (as in temperature) scent. I like it but it also says Spring to me, not summer or spring. Could work for Winter too.

1 to 10: 7 Buy Again: It's well made but not my type of scent, so No.

First on, aquatics and pine, and I am in love. This reminds me of being in the pine forest behind my house and looking at the lake there, hidden in the trees. In winter it would be smoky and frosty around the edges. That's what this blend reminds me of, that smell and image.

However, in the drydown, this is pure evil on me. Super musky random florals. I can't pick out any sort of specific floral, it just has that headache inducing sickening smell that florals get on my skin... :P

This was so nice when I first put it on. It crushes me that it turns floral and is ruined...

This ends up rather sweet, dusty pine on me, without any of aquatics or more icy notes. Actually, it eventually smelled a lot like Samhain, which was weird and made me realize I must be getting more pine out of Samhain than I thought.

Too similar and light for me, so off to swaps it goes, though it's a nice scent. I'm afraid I'm not patient enough to tease out the subtleties of this blend.

Wolf Moon

In the imp: foresty! Like pine and fir, like the woods in winter.

Wet on skin: the scent of cold woods, pine trees, tree sap, and a little bit of smoke.

Dry: this, to me, is like the winter equivalent of Hunter Moon or Hexxenacht. It has the scent of the wild woods-the chipped bark, the sap, the crushed pine and fir tree needles and moss, the frozen ferns and herbs under the snow, the remains of autumn leaves now locked under ice. It’s cold, and I swear it also has a hint of smoke…and yet it also has a sweetness that seems almost like a musk, or a skin scent., or maybe something lightly floral…I also get that ‘fragrant bonfire’ scent that I get in Hex, a smoky-resinous scent of burning woods and sap with the smoke wafting in the winter air. Very atmospheric.

After a while: the sweet/white floral increases, mingling with the smoky wood scent. It really does remind me of a wintery Hex! The floral note adds a pleasant, white, cool, lightness to the dark forest and smoke scent. There’s also a lightly aquatic/ozone like scent, like cold winter air where snow has fallen. I’m wondering if there’s the slightest touch of something musky or feral here too?

Verdict: another evocative winter moon. The predominant scent in this is the scent of a forest in the dead of winter, pine trees, fir needles, woods and sap, with a chilly scent that evokes icy nights. But it also has a white scent to it, which I’m pretty sure is a floral note. It’s sweet and light, airy and cool, like a frost covered flower. And the scent also has a smoky note to it, a scent of burning fragrant woods smouldering as the smoke fills the dark winter woods. There may be something musky to it too. This fragrance is on the same lines as Hexennacht and Hunter Moon, with it’s wild woody-smoky theme. It’s an interesting scent, not a favourite, but definitely one I’ll keep in decant form, it seems perfect for winter.

This was nice and dry, slightly floral, and slightly aquatic. After I had been wearing this for about an hour I started smelling a number of woods. The combination of the woods and slight aquatic note was nice, even though aquatics usually leave me nauseated. The woods made me think of a cold, dark forest at night. Very nice.

I gave this a 3 out of 5. I will keep an imp on hand, but I'm not worried about obtaining more than that.

From the name, I'd thought that this would be bloody and musky. This is not the case! (Exclamation points are good.) This smells like the air above a snow covered pine tree--there's something cool covering a smell of fresh green. Over time, it starts to smell like flowers peaking out of melting snow, or maybe a puddle of melted snow. This is a lot sweeter than I expected it to be.

Wolf Moon: A hint of sweetness, almost like patchouli, but not with the usual "ick" I get from patchouli.

On: Crisp and wild, like leaves underfoot in a forest. I smell berries - yum!

Dry: This is lovely. I can't stop smelling my wrists. The throw is ethereal and sweet, and quite addicting.

In the vial: This has something in it that *really* appeals but I don't know what. There's an almost-citrus note too.

Wet: On application, it disappears entirely for a moment, then reappears with a quiet musk. I think. Tempered by a floral, maybe. Soft but growing.

Dry: Where are all of you people who didn't want this? Can I have it? :P Yes, it's sweet, but it reminds me of being in a forest after a rain, with the dappled sunlight and the sounds of dripping water and muffled footfalls. A slight chill, despite the fact that you know the sun is shining. Yes, the sense of predators in the shadows, but just to watch, not hunt. It's gorgeous!

Ooh. I likey. This is what I'd hoped Buck Moon would smell like- kind of wild, slightly good musky, and all yummy. It's cool, clean and night-smelling. There's also some spiciness hiding in there. I don't get berries, but that's not unusual- fruit usually either disappears or turns sour on me. No pine either, or maybe just a bare hint... hmmm, no, I don't think so. I am really glad I have a 5mL on the way. The lunar oils are way in the background in this blend, thank goodness. I like a hint of them, but too much and they overwhelm everything (I'm looking at *you*, Pink Moon!)

I'd give this a 5 out of 5.

In Bottle: Light musk

On Skin: This scent is so light I can barely smell it! It has a very soft musk and something slightly aquatic, a clean aquatic (not deterngent clean though) since there is not much “scent” to it.. It smells grey or a light blue to me, kind of like the color of a wolves eyes. This scent is quite the shock to me. I imagined something feral and animalistic. But it does fit the winter feel, icy and stark… quiet and still. I love how soft this is, it is a beautiful scent that doesn’t overwhelm in any way shape or form. It has the stature of a wolf, that deserves your respect. A lot of people have mentioned pine, and I do get a very slight pine undertone but nothing that stands out, I wouldn’t call this a woodsy scent. While it is quite pretty, it has little throw and I think I’ll save it for alone time since I don’t think would really be able to smell this on me. I wish it was stronger…

When I first looked at the Lunacy scents I wanted this one right away bc its my bday month. I was so right. In the bottle it was very much like a water scent. It lasted a bit after I put it on. After awhile it did turn woodsy. But not like pine some other kind of tree. It had a longer life on me than any of the scents I've tried so far. I need it badly. Give me more!

In the bottle: Coldness. It's the cold in a bottle. Wow! With some greenery, like ivy.

Wet: Same as in the bottle, a fresh, watery scent, like ice. It's just not describable with words, it smells of the cold. I think that there might be some very discreet flowers in there, too, and greenery. And then it warms and I think I can smell black musk under all that coldness.

Drydown: It develops into a delicious, discreet scent. It's slightly spicy and a bit musky, and I'm pretty sure that there are some flowers thrown in there somewhere. Yes, I do think I can recognise a bit of pine, as in Yew Trees, and then a downright sharp, bitter wood note comes through from time to time. And finally a cold berry note comes up, and it's gorgeous - between blackcurrant and redcurrant. Hmm...

Overall: A truly beautiful blend, that makes me regret not having known BPAL a year ago. It's extremely evocative of that really cold part of the year, and the wet stage is fantastic. The drydown is surprising, too, a bit like the faint warmth you'd get if you were sleeping with a pack of wolves in the dead of winter - body heat, wood, pine needles, berries and snow. It morphs a lot, and it's stunning.

In the imp: something feral, deep, and darkly wooded.

On me: An aquatic wetness begins to seep out and soften the dark nature of the scent.

Later: Bleh. Aquatic notes are either hit or miss on me, and this one's a miss.

wolfmoon.jpg

Very perfumy. I wasn't expecting that but it's a nice touch. Musk of some kind and I think I smell just a little bit of cassia and it is quite watery. Is it lupine? Well, I don't know. Am I glad I got to try it? Yes. It is a nifty interpretation of "wolf", and I was expecting more of a pine/woods scent so this is a bit of a curve ball. That's what I really love about the lunacies, you don't know how each concept is going to be interpreted.

Wolf Moon - It took me a long time to try this blend out because I’d read so many reviews that said it smells like pine, and pine is one scent I don’t care for in the least. Well, I finally tried it – and I LOVE it! It’s definitely one of the more beautiful of the lunacies. Wolf Moon is fresh and clear like pine, but without the evergreen scent that I can’t stand. It’s clean and slightly sweet, and makes me think less of wolves and more of stream banks in a forest glade inhabited by twinkling fairies. It’s stunningly beautiful. The throw doesn’t last long on me, but of all the Lunacy blends, this one lasts the longest on my skin. It stays and stays. The first time I tested it, a good two hours after I applied it, my kitty came up to me and started licking away at my arm. She licked and licked and licked – and this is the cat who has never licked me in the 4.5 years we’ve lived together! So it definitely gets two opposable thumbs-up from me, and to non-opposable thumbs-up from my kitty.

I got a third of an imp from a fellow forumite... it's a shame this is an LE.

In the imp, this is slightly soapy with a strong leather(?) note that drowns out everything else in the imp. On, this is dry woods and dusty dried berries and herbs. There's something cool and frosty about this and I agree with all the others that it has a very exact crystalline sensation, but there's also a lot of sharp contrasting green and browns in this... and I still think I am finding leather. Hmm. Warm, this is faint but lovely! It has a nice refreshingly calmness to it that is surprising considering how very complicated it seems... everything melds so perfectly that I can't nail down any one single note. Pine and oak and possible birch notes with sage and moss and something fruity?! Berries, I think... blackberries... that's it, chilled blackberries, yes. Hmm, that's a lovely touch for this. And yet another Lunacy blend that I just hate to not be able to get my hands on more of. This is absolutely delightful.

I really liked this one and ended up buying a bottle. It has the lunar notes that I've smelled in some of the other moons. It is a cold, forresty smell. It didn't really smell especially aquatic to me. My friends liked this one on me too. It ends up going very light.

This is a sweet aquatic on first application, cool and a little wintery. As it dries, the winter notes get stronger, pine and ice and chill green. It reminds me of Talvikuu, of a forest on the edge of a harsh winter. After a while, the greenery really comes out--it's still cold, but there's life in this, trees and grass and a hint of flowers. Gorgeous.

This is a softly piercing, warmly dark note that could be a spice with florals in the background. On my skin the spice-like note warms up, and starts with a more masculine feel about it, but there is a sticky note in the background that gradually becomes sweeter with time and turns much more feminine, sharp and crystalline with something dark underneath. After a few hours, this is still a prevalent scent that is sweet and high like flowers by a crystal lake – very pretty.

I gave it to the boy (he has a thing for wolves and a tattoo of a wolf howling at the moon), and without even sniffing it, he said "Sold!" ... I got him to try it on later, and damn he smelled delicious. Mmm, I just wanted to eat him all up. ^_~

Edited by kunoichi

Wolf Moon went on aquatic and clean, kind of a fresh springy greenish smell. It had absolutely no throw - I had to have my arm right up to my nose in order to smell it. After fifteen minutes or so, I noticed a faint masculine spiciness, with maybe just the barest hint of greenery behind it.

Not at all what I expected.