Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Penance

Wolf Moon 2004

Wolf Moon

This is the dead of winter, the year’s dark hibernation, the crystalline silence of the depths of the world’s darkness. It bears echoes of the time before time, of primordial gloom. This Moon harbors memories of man’s life before fire.

In the bottle ~ Close your eyes, imagine yourself deep inside a cavernouse cave right before spring. You hear the water of the snow melt rushing all around you in hidden and unseen veins through the rock. The sharp tang of that virgin water on its way to the great rivers mixed with the darkest mosses and the sighing of ancient rock. That's what I smell.

Wet ~ Others have mentioned this as cold, but for me it's warm and comforting, like being sheltered in the womb of the great Mother herself, very primordial. It's quiet, silence, before that big first breath and yell announcing yourself to the new world.

Dry down an hour or so later ~ So refreshing and comforting still. I can smell a bit of pine, but it's distant and the scent is still warm on me. I can understand the chill of it, but it's not cold in the sense of the word, so much as it is the sense of darkness and yet-to-be. There's slight woodsy-ness, but...I'm serious, it's like being down in the silence of the Earth as she's about to spring forth.

It's kind of like Skadi, but not as chilly and piney. More like Dublin, but...it's not. It's really hard to describe, it's such a perfect 'Spring is on her way' scent :P Though it's easiest to say I'm in love big time!

Wow, this is nothing like I expected from the reviews. I tested this last night and was ready to sell it. There is something in the top note that I really don't care for, but then I remembered what happened when I first tested my beloved Frost Moon and how I didnt like it right away (it will be the first 5 ml I've ever used an entire bottle of after a couple more wears), so I thought I'd give it a day or two to "bond" with it. The top note smells mossy, like oakmoss or something deep and smoky. I don't really care for it, but then that quickly fades and the "traditional lunar oils" make their appearance. You know, the familiar ones from Blue Moon, Cold Moon, etc., but the scent remains just a bit smoky and mossy but the lunar oils really come into play and it becomes a somewhat glittering floral with a touch of depth and greeness to it. It's still growing on me. I like it and I got a few compliments on it today but it is so unique that it's taking me a while to warm up to it.

On me/to me this is a a soft floral and is the first soft scent that I have gone head over heals about. In the bottle it is wonderful. Wet it is wonderful. I'm not getting any of the pine scents that everyone has mentioned. For me it is a nice, rounded floral. Kind of brisk, clean smelling, yet with a bit of a bite. I can't stop sniffing. I will have to see what happens after it is on for awhile. I hope this isn't one that disappears quickly.  Most of the softer/floral scents only seem to last about 5-20 minutes on me and then I have to struggle to smell them, even with my nose buried in my skin.

After about 3 hours I was still loving this. It had't disappeared and I am so glad. I still only smelled a nice floral with no individual scent stepping forward. For a bit it had a very slight soapy scent but that disappeared real quick.

After being on for about 5 hours I could barely smell this anymore but that was okay.  Much better than 5 minutes.

i've quoted Korki's review because i've noticed ~exactly~ the same set of effects from the bottle of Wolf's Moon i've opened.

i've noticed no, not any, none, keine, nichtovo in mine: pine, dark musk, minty, menthol, mossy, vigorous green, dank or heavy notes. o_O

elsewhere in the thread it's been described as a "crystalline floral", and i agree with that as well for the bottle/batch that i've gotten. and it's making me nuts; i'm LOVING it, absolutely loving it.. but i have no idea what i'm smelling in it. what are those flowers?

the overall effect is 'cold' and clean and light, sweet with out being cloying both wet and on skin. some of the sweet seems to trade for a very gentle muskyness, remaining overtly floral- but the lasting power is amazing! i'm at the 6 hour mark for wrist application and still getting the occasional waft. how something so delicate can still have such strength.. really wonderful stuff.

and... i.. {like to claim that i} don't like "floral" perfumes {hah! then why am i loving this to death?}

:P

ETA: a redab to strengthen and resniff it fresh.. citrusy sweet, barely-hint-o-musky.. i can't tell you how curious this has me as to contents!

Edited by Unseelie

In the bottle:

This smells creamy with a hint of chocolate. Very warm and inviting.

Wet:

Cold pine! This smells nothing like the bottle. There is aquatics in this for sure. Combined with the pine, this is a very sharp blend. The first time I tried this I thought it smelled exactly like Cold Moon minus the berries. I think it now smells like a mix of Ice Queen, Mistletoe and Skadi.

Dry:

This is strong!! It's not quite as cold as Skadi or Cold Moon, but it still has that wintery feel. As it mellows something fruity starts to pop out from behind the pine, though overall, this blend stays very true to its sharp notes.

Overall:

I think it is beautiful and definitely gender neutral. I think it's too close to Cold Moon for me to keep though.

Hmmm. The jury's still out, I think.

The first word that comes to mind when describing Wolf Moon is "feral." I'm getting musk, and some aquatics, I think. In the bottle it has a very clean, sharp smell, sort of like the way the air smells around the time snow comes and goes, but there's something in there that literally stings. It's not my usual sweet scent, but I kind of like it. It's very appropriate for winter and warms up a little as it dries on me. The musk scent never quite goes away, and I'm not a huge fan of musk, but there are enough other scents in there (floral, maybe? I need to go sniffing more) to balance it.

Edited by Cedar

Wolf moon has somewhat fruity undernotes but not sweet at all. It's a tangy watery blend like Spezzpony, Water of Notre Dame, etc.

It also smells a bit like Skadi and Ice Queen , sort of pine-ish.

After 2 minutes the medium strong floral comes out but thus far it's not too strong (alot of them turn on me).

It's what I would call a fresh floral now with an almost honeysuckle note coming through.

It reminds me of Lush's Oxeo cube, that same kind of combination of fresh floral with a watery hint of citrus and maybe a tidge of honey. It also reminds me of a commercial perfume, and I'm not sure which one I'm thinking of.

It's one of the nicer smelling lunacy updates. I like it but I 'm not sure I'd buy more if it were available all the time.

Hmmm. Wolf Moon. For me Wolf Moon is definitely not piney. Definitely not sharp. A soft aquatic floral blend is what I get. And it's lovely fresh water... possibly melting snow! The florals are very light, yet warm. There is now powderiness whatsoever.

I really like this one. Whoever said that it was similar to Water of Notre Dame was spot on. The difference, I think, lies in the floral element. Whereas Water of Notre Dame is quite rosy, this is something else entirely... but I don't know what the flowers are. Just pretty spring blossoms.

This is beautiful and I am keeping it. Which is a shame because I had bought it for a friend whose totem animal is the wolf. But this is just too feminine. I really couldn't see him wearing this at all. Ah well.

Wolf Moon I'm soooooo glad I took the chance and ordered this based on Beth's description, because it's absolutely freakin gorgeous.

This is a soft, powdery floral on my skin...with a touch of pine and the tiniest breath of mint. Even though it's powdery, it's also clean and fresh. I'm also getting the aquatic note that others have picked up. Can a fragrance be both powdery and aquatic? Wolf Moon manages to be.

I would call this scent a Floral, but there is sooooo much going on in this little bottle, it's difficult to define. I just know that I'll cherish it and love it wearing it.

Let me start off by saying that my skin is weird, I suck at ordering LE's and I hate most florals.

All of which may have told you already that I REALLY didn't like Wolf Moon.

It stayed pretty much the same in the bottle and on me, and was as most everyone else described - an aquatic floral with a little hint of perhaps musks and mosses in the background. I get absolutely no pine from this at all (which was bad for me because I like fir/pine/juniper scents a lot.)

WAY too floral for me. In fact the boy said "you smell like a teacher" (no offense to any teachers on the board - he meant in that older-lady-from-grade school-in the-70's-that-hovered-too-closely way) and actually suggested (in a nice way) that maybe I wanted to go relax with a nice warm shower. (a bpal first). YIKES.

And nobody wanted to love this more than me.

Edited by wolfie13

:P

Nice scent - sweet berries, similar to other moons on that note. Definate woodsie tones there too. I can smell some of the same animalistic notes as in Hunter moon deep down there too.

I love the layering in this one, it's sort of Blue Moon meets Hunter Moon to me.

Wolves running through a pine forest under a full moon indeed. =)

Can't say how much I love it!

Edit

I rewore this one yesterday.

Oh wow. Sweet yet sensual. Truly brings out the animal. Woo!

Edited by LupaWulf

at first: wow...this reminds me of blue moon, but it's darker, warmer, and dirtier.

on: cucumbers, but with something warm and spicy underneath.

2.5 hours later: this is a bit sharper and more floral now, but it still has that sweet spicyness to it.

4 hours later: barely there.

overall: i really slathered this on, but it didn't last well at all. i have to send this one on its way.

It reminds me of Ice Queen minus the fruit, which may make me like it better than Ice Queen.

It isn't very strong on me, I just dabbed a little bit on.

The comparison reviewers have made to Blue Moon holds true. It does have that vibe. It even smells a tiny bit like Arachne on me. I wish I got pine or cucumber like people are saying, but on my skin it comes out a watery herby floral without much strength. Not very wolfy.

I was hoping this would be more dark and less floral, this is why I don't think I am going to buy any more LE's with a mysterious description lacking notes.

Edited by Madame Nyx

I received Wolf Moon in the mail last night & finally got a chance to try it.

Oh, this was lovely, very lovely. My first lunacy blend was Cold Moon & I loved it, but I think Wolf Moon was a little better.

Wet: I was afraid that I would smell pine, which has been noted by many reviewers. I don't like pine at all. Forunately, no pine. None, whatsoever in my bottle or on my skin. Instead, I smelled a wood note, soft & dark.

Dry: The wood note faded away & the scent changed into a green scent. Lots of greenery, & I thought it was going to turn soapy on me, but I wasn't used to smelling so much green on my skin. No florals, just green. Definitely wasn't pine, might have been juniper, I remember that note vaguely from another scent I tried recently. Then, it changed again - I started smelling berries. The wood note & green note were gone. The only scent left at the end were berries. Semi-sweet frozen berries.

I really like that there seems to be a connecting thread in the lunacy blends: the watery, ozony, extremely cleansing underpart.

Even Luna, from the Celestial Blends has it.

On my skin, Wolf moon is just beautiful. Slightly floral, with a heavier sweetness underneath, all balanced by the blue notes.

Like the promise of spring during the dead of winter.

This one smelled familiar as soon as I applied it - I couldn't figure out if it reminded me of Queen of Spades or Cold Moon. Either way, I thought it was very pretty! I had been worried it would be piney or eucalytpus-y, but it wasn't, thank goodness. I smelled cold florals and greenery. Nice job Beth!

First sniff: Hmm. I’m not getting pine, which is what I expected based on reviews – just a fresh, cold, green scent.

Wearing: Wolf Moon isn’t exactly minty, but it has that same feeling to it – it’s a cold scent, slightly sharp-edged.

Wolf Moon, I still dont know about this one. :P When first applied it is actually nice, gental and cool but at time passes it gets stronger and starts to spell like one of those mall perfumes. Maybe I will give this time to grow on me, I dont know. :D

Something about my skin chemistry brought out the worst in Wolf Moon. It smelled of strong pine air freshener and spoiled fruit. A janitorial chemical mixture.

It will be going to someone whose skin may bring out its magic instead.

ETA: And yet Cold Moon smelled lovely on me, as did Skadi, another fir-smelling blend. Not sure what went wrong with this one.

Edited by helarctos

In bottle: This is complicated and earthy. It's very raw and untamed; like the primordial soup that life began in eons ago. I smell dirt and old trees, like a sequoia, and it's very wet, like everything is quite damp. There's hints of aquatics floating about.

On me: It's definitely a stronger pine now, but it's still in a damp, dank forest. But there's a bubbling brook running through it, sparkling with clear pure water. Something about this fragrance makes it perfect for having a 'get back to nature' moment. After it's dried the scent of flowers growing at the base of the trees and around the brook start poking through, bringing a subtle sweetness to the perfume.

I got this in a swap, because after reading the reviews, I hoped it would work better on me than the other lunar blends. Specifically, I was interested in the musks and/or the sharp green notes people described.

Sadly, none of those notes showed up for me.

What I got was the clean, watery floral notes that others fell in love with. In fact, in the bottle, I found this appealing, if not me. Its like blue flowers...if that makes any sense...clean and cool and yet very floral fragrant. It is like Ice Queen, but not as sharp, as others have noted. To me Ice Queen has a very frosty, slushy smell to it...with just a hint of pine....and while this is similiar, the slush has turned to spring puddles with flowers blooming...winter flowers...and no pine.

I put it on, and it stayed fairly true, but it was gone in an hour, which was ok, because while I didn't dislike it, I also wasn't crazy about it.

I also let a friend try it who wanted it strictly on the name. She said it reminded her slightly of Skadi, as others have noted, but on her, after an hour, it turned slightly rancid...as the civet blends do for her.

I don't get a hint of civet or musk myself--which certainly doesn't mean it isn't there--but that's what she reported.

Well, I'm glad I tried this, but its off to the swap pile for me....and it does begin to confirm, sadly, that the lunar blends aren't for me.... :P

ah me and my crazy chemistry.

i don't get the pine smell on this at all.

wet, it smells like crushed, damp ivy

as it dries, it begins to smell spicy with a dark, sweet, red fruit. i keep picturing thick, red juice dripping. there's a muskiness dancing along the edges of this scent.

dry, it's spicy and musky and dark. the dark red berries are still there but not as the center note anymore.

3 hours later, the scent is almost gone. what's left there is a sweet almond smell. like candied almonds. all in all, i like it.

Initially, Wolf Moon is a cool, piney, slightly aquatic, mossy scent that I love. Then something a bit fruity--melons?--comes out. Wierd, I know. Then the flowers, mixed with a stronger ozone/aquatic component, come out. I'm not a floral person, so I can't identify them, but they push their way to the forefront. Heavy, heady, and completely headache-inducing for me. Possibly including my arch-nemesis, the lily.

Had to swap this one. :P

At first sniff, very similar to Blue Moon, but without the cucumber note, and more subtle. Wearing, a green note develops, with aquatics bringing up the rear. This is very much a soft turquoise scent, detatched and peaceful. It seems the most pared down and serene of the lunar blends so far and I like it for that.

This is absolutely bizarre. Wolf Moon is my first lunar oil, and I was very excited by the description. But I can not figure out this oil at all-- the most I get from it is a faint aquatic candylike sweetness, maybe with a touch of amber or mango in it. I searched desperately for the coldness, greenery, or pine but it was nowhere to be found. O mysterious skin, why?

Initial Sniff: The same quiet pine that graces Skadi, and those ubiquitous and mysterious lunar oils.

Wearing: Again, cold soft pine like that in Skadi - without the sweet berries. Instead, those lunar oils add a luminescent sheen to the forest. The lunar blends all turn softly sweet on me during the drydown, and this is no exception. The lunar blend never overtake the pine, though - they live in harmony on my skin.

Final Impressions: I'm so glad this didn't work for Batgirl! I didn't order this (in a rare fit of self-restraint), but she kindly swapped it to me. It's not my favorite lunar blend, but I really really like it!