Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Penance

Wolf Moon 2004

This is the dead of winter, the year’s dark hibernation, the crystalline silence of the depths of the world’s darkness. It bears echoes of the time before time, of primordial gloom. This Moon harbors memories of man’s life before fire.

this is a wonderful, much gentler version of all saint's on me. a touch of that buttery, incensey floral (possibly lily?) but with the same moon-y/ lunar flower and aquatic base. I love it! I don't get pine, though.

I really like Wolf Moon. It starts out a kind of buttery, herbal, outdoorsy aquatic (but light on the aquatic) and dries down to a nice floral. Then later the initial scent makes a reappearance. I agree with the Dublin comparison - it is very similar, but is more night-oriented, with an edge, while Dublin is brighter and more of a daytime scent to me.

It's also very evocative in terms of imagery.

I am a fan but not sure whether I'll try to get more, since I like Dublin so much.

Edited by enigmae

Okay..here I am again..trying my second lunar oil Wolf Moon..gotta give thanks to Gypsy Row..this is how I was able to get my hands on another lunar oil that I would have had no chance to try.

:P

First whiff out of bottle:Okay...I must not have a very experienced or sophisticated nose because straight off I smell that candy sweetness that assaulted me like Cold Moon did...is this the lotus??? I get the aquatic..again...but no pine...hmmm right now this smells very much like Cold Moon except a bit more...*softer*??? I also have to say I did kind of get a cold, gloomy sort of vibe..just because it was candy sweetness doesn't mean that it was a *happy* sweetness..almost like a dark,cold, lonely sweetness..if that makes any sense.

Wet on skin:Immediately that candy sweetness has softened..again..and now I am able to smell faintly the herbal note...this is intermngled with the crystalline floral that other reviewers have stated..

Dry on skin: I don't get any berries..I just get the aquatic floral...softened..and I think I smell the herbal/note intermingled in all of this..it actually is very...ummmm...secretive floral??? That's it..secretive floral...a bit chilly and a bit sweet...but again..interesting.

Drydown: I can sort of smell the berries other reviewers talked about..but then again maybe it it's all in my head..LOL :D

Bottom Line-I like it. Again..this isn't a type of fragrance I usually gravitate towards...if this was any other fragrance from another manufacturer, the first whiff would have been it for me..but...I am learning with BPAL..and so far..it looks as if the fragrance ride just begins at first whiff...and so I sit back and let the perfume oil do it's thing.

Indeed this is a quick changeling.

It starts with an aquatic note, over sharp green and woody ones...

And then it turns into a soft floral on my skin, keeping a silver-like cold final sensation that's barely there just like a star that looks brighter if you don't stare at it.

There's a subtle hot spicy tone as it dryes down, making it quite misterious and still lovely... I need more!

This one is strangely different on me. It vaguely reminds me of tintagel, so I suspect it may be the juniper I am smelling. I do smell evergreen, but not pine. Anyway, it IS aquatic, and it IS cool, but it has a distinct berry scent that puts me in mind of the thanksgiving holidays and bayberry candles. This is my second try and I really get mostly berries.

Not at ALL a bad smell, but I am NOT a berry girl. It changes very litttle from start to finish, and has good lasting power.

Kind of smells like if you mixed tintagel and dragon tears??

This one goes up to swap or sell in favor of something I want more :P

Edited by mmcfa2

Green and woodsy and cold.

Like being in the woods wrapped up in a heavy coat at night-which is not usually my thing at all. It does warm after a bit, and even gets a bit perfumey to my nose.

Wolf Moon is the first lunacy scent that I absolutely adore, however on me it isn't at all a wintery scent. Nor do I get the impression of man's struggle in his primordeal days, but what I do get is a heaping dose of Yoko Kanno:

"We found a kind of paradise in a flower's bloom..."

Yes, there is something about Wolf Moon that reminds me of the anime Wolf's Rain. There is chill here, but it's not the prime note, as I'd expect in a cold scent. There's a hint of woodsiness and greenery, but it's so faint on me it's almost like a half-forgotten race memory. There is something dark here, but it lurks in the corners of one's awareness and it never comes fully to light.

What shines above all this, is a sweet, fruity, floral note, that just sings to me. It fills my head, and I can't get enough of it. It's intoxicating.

This scent is strong and lasts for hours on me, though I've noticed that after about seven hours, the scent begins to decay, almost as if the flower was wilting. It's a subtle change, however.

Wolf Moon Haiku,

Through ice cathedrals

Echoes the lupine chorus--

Moon-lit requiem.

I got this in an accidental ebay purchase (as in "wait, you mean I DIDN'T click the link for the auction of Mabon?) and I love it to death. Talk about a happy accident!

Bottle: Very crisp, cold, and woodsy, but with a sweet note hovering in the background... almost like walking through the woods on a cold winter day while wearing berry-flavored chapstick.

Wet: It gets sweeter and the berries get more prominent. This thrills me to no end, as I love berries.

Dry: it transforms into an unusual combination of woods, berries, and light florals. Very sweet, but not at all foody or candy-like. When wearing it, I smell exactly like the Newfane Country Store (in VT) around the holidays. It brings back tons of childhood memories for me.

When I got this I was terrified that it would contain vetiver, but thankfully I get none of the Dreaded Vetiver Funk that can happen with my skin chemistry. The woods are softer, more like pine, and the berries sweeten things enough that I don't feel like I'm standing on a pile of wood shavings. I am so glad that I bid on this without checking which link I was following!

this smelled like expensive flowers (i thought lily, but i'm not really clear on what lilies smell like) and berry flavored bubble gum (halfway between the perfumey blackberries of glasgow and the bubblegum in tintagel). i didn't really smell woods or greens in this at all.

i'm sure it's good for someone who likes perfumes that smell like flowers and, well, actual perfume... but i was hoping for something with a little more wolf to it. :P

Bottle (Imp): Smells fresh and breezy.

Just On: Yeah, nice and fresh, like a wonderful breeze in the summer, one that's cool and feels refreshing.

An hour or two later: Just like the wind coming in off the lake back home (not a dirty icky lake, but a clean pretty lake). It's faded a bit more than I'd like it to be, but refreshing it wouldn't be that tough, I use very little when I test.

Around 6 hours: What's left of this still smells wonderful. I was actually expecting something more animal-like, so I'm pretty happy with this.

12 hours: It faded a lot like others do, but I like it all the way. It doesn't seem to change through the stages the way so many others do on me, and I really like that.

Overall: This is certainly something I would wear when I want to be fresh and breezy. I'm going to try it out on The Mate as well, because I think the clean scent would be nice on him too. I prefer smoky incensy smells on him, maybe musk, but this might be a good change.

After reading other reviews: I don't get any pine from this, I just got fresh breezy cleanness. I also didn't get any of the changing that others did, it stayed almost the same throughout the whole process.

In the bottle Wolf Moon is musky and sharp. Not animal-musky, but just dark and murky. First sniff and I'm not sure if I'm going to like it.

However, ever the experimenter, I sampled some on my wrists. Nothing like I thought it would be. This is more floral, more 'naturey' than the bottle made me believe.

It's really heavy and really strong. I'm not a slatherer by any means, and the scent carries through the room. As many mentioned, this reminds me of Cold Moon, but denser and heavier.

It has an amazing staying power, but I think it might be too heavy on me to be a keeper.

In the bottle: Very aquatic, but nice. Not a harsh aquatic. Maybe that's the lunacy oils.

First on: It's like springtime flowers peaking through ice & snow. I like it. It is a bit like Skadi, but not as biting. This one is definitely colder & more reserved.

Drydown: While it keeps that darkness to it, it's very clean. Like a meadow covered in fresh snow in the middle of the night.

I snagged a bottle on ebay, but now that I have so much BPAL I might let it go for my more used & favored scents. We'll see.

Both wet and dry I get a soft aquatic, with foresty notes. When I wear this I feel like I am standing next to a mountain stream in the dead of winter. Cool water, pine trees and a crisp breeze. After a few hours I notice the same buttery note I got from Harvest Moon. On me this is very soft, not much throw at all. This is lovely, but probably not something I would wear often.

On the wickedgoddess scale of 1 to 5, with 5 being best, this rates a 3.

this is lovely, a sharp piney scent, reminiscent of skadi. but it has a floral scent to it or something soft. i really like it, and it feels cozy to me, despite the sharpness. like skadi's quieter cousin..

Wolf Moon

In the bottle: Ooh, very sharp.

applied, after 10 minutes: very green, still a tiny bit sharp... I predict this is going to mellow out and be gorgeous on me. I can smell the pine in it, and I would have thought that something with pine in it would have reminded me of PineSol, but it doesn't. Also, do I smell cloves in there? or is it lemon?

Later: I really like this. I could still smell this on my skin after almost 18 hours. Another one I'd buy a bottle of if it wasn't discontinued.

Wolf Moon

I received this in a swap with oceandessa. Thanks!

In the bottle: It smelled so much like what I remembered from Hunter Moon that I had to check Hunter Moon again. It’s spicy and floral, and Hunter Moon is more fruity (apple). Wolf Moon also has an aquatic note that Hunter Moon doesn’t have, or at least that isn’t as strong in Hunter Moon.

On me:

Fresh, crisp, night air, with spice.

In 20 minutes:

More aquatic, but about the same, still has that spice in it.

In 35 minutes:

Just a faint hint of water.

In 55 minutes:

Completely gone.

Overall:

These light scents just don’t do it for me. Maybe my mom will like it.

Wow, this is the first aquatic I've tried that actually smelled like *water*. Initially this blend smells like fresh greenery on a riverside. Then slowly a sweet, fruity note emerges, then some thing clean and soapy, which finally turns to an evergreen of some sort. All in the course of an hour! So far after an hour and half, it seems to have stabilized at a dry berry & evergreen smell. Very Christmasy, but not fake-smelling like some others that people have described as holiday scents (Tintagel, for example, was bad on me).

I'm very glad I have a decant of this, but don't think I'll try to track down a whole bottle.

The (I assume) lunar oils give this a hint of an aquatic note. THat said though, it is not a light scent, nor is it watery. Like many others, I get a foresty sort of feel from it: green but not sharp, growing green. More dormant and still. I think I can smell a slight floral note, but I have no idea what it is.

It is a quiet and introspective oil. It has good throw and so far is lasting well.

Very pleased I got to try this one.

Wolf moon has a foresty, piney freshness to it that makes it more masculine for me. It's reminiscent of Skadi but it doesn't have the strong spice to it. It's got a lovely aquatic, cologney type undertone to it. Definitely a dark green scent. Makes me think of racing through a dense forest at night, perfect for the wolf.

I was expecting a full out wild woman running through the forest kind of scent. The name evokes the dead of winter, crystalline, crunchy snow with hot steamy breath being exhaled during a madcap joyful chase.

Alas, that is not Wolf Moon at all :P

In the bottle: Pine forest at the crack of spring. There's snow a-melting and water trickling down to the streams. Bits of vegetation are poking their heads out from the blanket of snow.

On the skin: I smell early snow-drops, heavy berries and butter. As it dries down the butter becomes more pronouced - a berry cobbler on my wrist :D

I asked my 6-year-old what he thought of it and the reply was "Cherries!!"

All I know is that I'm in love with this oil and sooo glad that t3andcrumpets could part with it. Thanks so much :D

Perhaps it was just my preconcieved notion, trying this without reading the reviews, but Wolf Moon smelled very musky to me in the vial...a soft, cozy light musk to be sure, but I immediately smell the musky woody notes in this.

On my skin, too, these notes come out immediately, joined by something very fresh almost citrusy. Combined with the softness of the lunal oils, this is a lovely, lovely blend which I loke on both my husband and me.

Ok, if you haven't figured out from my wish list or from my handle, I've always had a connection with wolves. So, naturally I've gravitated towards the more lupine blends BPAL offers. So, after searching around a bit, I found some Wolf Moon to dab on my paws and offer my review.

In the Bottle or Imp:

Very green, foresty, but in that pine forest way. I can catch whiffs of birch and a rich loamy kick underneath it all, more menacing than present. A slight brush of sweetness, too, and this blend feels cool, not minty, but cool.

Wet, on Skin:

The pine and herbal greens rise up really fast and disperse into the air around me very quickly. I'm in a northern forest, and there's suddenly an aquatic tone to the fragrance, much like as others have described here melt from fallen snow. The dirt, loam aspect that I smelled before actually retreats here, so not too much earth in my opinion. Heads towards a sweeter, woodsy scent.

Drying Down:

Definitely has a similar aquatic, wet note as Kingsport, but it's not as salty. Definitely a freshwater body, like a lake, or lakeshore. But, this is a lakeshore at night, cool mists floating over the water and the scent of pine and sweet woods wafting around.

Over Time/Longterm:

Settles into a slightly pine-y, sweet wood fragrance. Akin to sandalwood, but not warm at all. The aquatic lake/beach fragrance lingers, ozone and water, sweet musk. Very subtle at this point but still evocative.

Final Verdict?

Love this! I was concerned when I got Kingsport that that would be the only nice aquatic/beachy fragrance I would find, but Wolf Moon makes me happy. Hoo-hah~!

This is the first Lunacy Blend that I've gotten a chance to try (Thanks Darkling!)

In the imp, I got a sweet resinous slightly piney smell that rather reminds me of, but isn't exactly like, the opening notes of Val San Retour (which I love).

On my skin, I don't smell the pine anymore, except for a slight prickly feeling in the back of my nose. It's turning sweet on me, not sticky sweet, but woodsy, powdery sweet, with a hint of spice. The longer I sniff it, the more soft and pretty it becomes.

Now that it's been on for a while, it's starting to get a cool, minty undertone that I think must be the lunar oils. Still sweet resinous and woody, but with an almost frosty kiss to it. It makes me think of trees in the snow and the moonlight. I'm really enjoying it, though I don't think it's a summer smell. I think it will be perfect in the cold months though.

This is a really gorgeous blend.

Edited by HoneyHoneyNY

Wolf Moon comes out of the gate as a slightly amberish pine on me. The scent quickly simmers down to a nice, agile woody scent. Almost like I'm lying on the floor of a forest, burying my head into a pile of leaves, grass, dirt, and wet moss. Absolutely lovely.