Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Penance

Urd

Muscadine, black and red patchouli, cereus and nag champa.

In the imp: Grape! Very sweet grape, almost like Kool-Aid, but in the best possible way. Muscadine seems like the specific variety of grape that artificial grape flavors try to be. The other notes are subdued, giving this a subtle earthy-spicy note.

Wet on skin: The artificiality of the in-imp muscadine draws back, leaving a sharp-sweet, complex muskiness. There is another note, sharp, which I assume to be cereus, that is not stereotypically floral - it is somewhat medicinal-sweet, reminding me vaguely of eucalyptus and black-label Chapstick - that clings to the back of my throat. The patchouli and Nag Champa step up, nicely balancing out the muscadine and cereus.

Dry down: I can't pick out any Nag Champa, which is a little disappointing. This is almost pure patchouli on me, though the earthy-dirty character is mitigated by the persistent sweet notes.

I think you have to be a fan of patchouli to like this one; fortunately for me, I am :P This is a really lovely blend, my favorite so far, and it will be my first bottle purchase.

This scent is amazing. I was first attracted because of the patchouli, but the nag champa really comes out on my skin. I love how it smells mixed with a little musk or a little Rose Red. So tasty.

urd.jpg

Note: This is a pretty aged imp of Urd, as far as I can tell (i've had it for a year or more, and it was someone else's before that....

Imp: dark and incensey, but simultaneously sweet.

Wet: this goes on very woodsy to me...the patchouli, perhaps? Woodsy with an undercurrent of syrupy sweetness and something akin to champaca flower (nag champa, maybe?)

Drying: This starts getting more incensy (the nag champa, I think). It settles into a woodsy incense with a hint of sweetness.

Overall: Very nice, and I'm glad I tried it, but its simply not my genre of scent. I'll pass it along to a more loving home. Has good staying power (6-8 hrs), and decent throw.

Edited by jewelbug

Didn't try this imp on myself, but I slathered it on my husband, who adores it. I certainly lucked out with that one, he usually is indifferent at best to perfume oils.

The grape scent certainly subsides once on the skin, and the incensy notes grow warmer.

I have to agree that the first thing that came to mind was "headshop". It smells like all the incense in a headshop, the good quality and the poor, mixed together in a very wearable scent. I love it on him, but it isn't right for me. Body chemistry is a strange thing and I think the grape will turn to Kool-Aid on me.

Ugh, yesterday I actually put it on my own skin, it turned to car air freshener in a matter of moments. Great for those who produce their own natural musks, but not for those whose bodies amp sweet scents.

Edited by TereFaerie

Whoa!

Bubblegum-like sweeeet grape with Nag Champa, the patchouli comes out when it dries. A bit weird but I love it.

It stays fruity Champa for a while and is really strong. I can smell it on myself the whole day.

Btw dont slather, this blend is incredibly strong!

I also love patchouli and like when it starts to come out. However, the first time I wore it I put it on in the morning and when I was sitting in the car with my sister in the late afternoon she started going:

"Somethig smells like mothballs"

- "Maybe, I dunno"

"It really smells like mothballs!"

- "Probably"

"Is that you???"

-"I dont know, could be."

"What is it, is it your jacket?"

-"I dont think so"

"What is it then? Your pullover?"

-"Erm, no, I dont think so."

"So what?"

-"Erm, I guess it could be my parfume, erm, that's patchouli, you know?"

"Really? That's awful, it smells like mothballs!"

You can tell she's one of natures diplomats, can't you?

Whatever, I like my mothball perfume!

Bottle: patchouli abounds!

Wet: I got this as a frimp and I'm taking a chance by trying it because patchouli is a no-no for me. Patchouli and nagchampa are just so strong! I'm glad I tried this, but it's just not for me!

Drydown: If you like patchouli you'll love this, no doubt about it!

3.0 outta 5 because despite not liking patchouli, Beth blends them so well that it makes me want to like it!

Grapey. And now it's musky. And now it's almost gone, after about ten minutes. For heaven's sake.

imp: spicy, ripe grapes.

wet: intensely beautiful patchouli, sweet grapes and incense.

dry: patchouli with a hint of grapes and a swirl of incense smoke. another one i'm popping onto my husband's imp pile to see what he thinks.

! She's a mOrPhEr...

Fresh out of the imp: intense, slightly sour wine. D'oh!

After a few minutes on my skin, the patchouli and champa come out and suddenly I smell like a mysterious gothic Wiccan. Turns out it was a good pick to wear for Yule festivities! Rich, purple, incensey, and a little sharp.

And after an hour, I'm left with a completely different scent: damp stone, like Shanghai Tunnels or my beloved Singing Moon. Urd is utterly nifty.

I love the small wiffs of patchouli I get every now and again. I can barely smell the nag champa though. I can smell the cereus a small bit, it's not over powering.

i think i'll give this one another shot, i'm trying to like it, but the sour grape smell gets over powering.

ETA: WOW! i have 2 imps of this. one has more grape than the other...of course i tried them both and holy smokes the older imp is a great scent and there isn't much grape. after everything dries down, i get a sweet patchouli blend.

i'm still not sure about getting a bottle of this, as there are a ton of other bottle with patchouli that smell great straight away. i'll probably wait another month and test the 2 imps again and see what happens.

Edited by djsiberia

Urd. I really really like this one.

I'm lucky in that the grape notes dig me. Wet, this one really has some strong grapey goodness. And the night-blooming cereus is right out on top along with it. I don't usually like the florals much, they shout on my skin. This one, even though it speaks loudly, doesn't shout. It blends with the muscadine and the two combined make for a gorgeous unusual scent -- they are well-suited to each other. All the way at the bottom is the patchouli and the nag champa, both of which I love. They are anchoring this juicy and flowery smell solidly to the earth.

As it dries down the desert flowers and grapes tone down a lot, and I'm left with a wonderful headshop-with-an-edge. SO glad I got a 5ml of this one.

Urd really surprised me. I only get hints of the muscadine, but it is there as an accent; it is neither too juicy or too sweet and grapey. What I do smell the most is the patchouli (yum) and a strong vein of woods. They are dry, powdery, and remind me of the spent remains of piles of incense sticks. This is evocative of the way that most occult and head shops smell, and I love it to death.

When I read the notes, I'd expected the patchouli to dominate, but the notes in Urd are pretty balanced. The nag champa is very pleasant and mellow, though I wish it were a bit stronger. On my skin, Urd is herbal and earthy, patchouli and rich soil, sweetened by a young merlot and warmed by the nag champa. It's like reading a book from a small, incense-saturated bookstore while sitting in a vineyard. The staying power is great, I get about 12 hours of wear. Though it's moderately complex and contains some fairly strong notes, it isn't busy or headache inducing.

In the bottle it's absolutly beautiful!! Earthy and sweet and resiny... yum!

But on.. it's all patchouli :D I was hoping that beautiful sweetness would jump at me with a bit of the lovely patchouli. Don't get me wrong.. I love patchouli, but my skin amps it like nothing else and all the other beautiful notes get smooshed away. I was crossing my fingers hoping I'd get a lovely NagChampaPatchouliSweet insence scent... but on my stupid skin it's all patchouli.

Sadly I must swap. :P

Initial impression:

Sharp and earthy! Floral but dirty.

First on:

It sort of smells a bit like... rotten fruit?

Dry:

After 10 mins, it's a heavy patchouli with something like cat-pee in the background. Not a huge hit with my skin chemistry, this one.

Finally:

Passing it on!

At first, it smells sweet and spicy, like some kind of great wine. Then it dries into wine incense with a patchouli note that just seems very off. It's okay, but not as balanced as I'd like.

*hack* Reallllly strong incense with a smack of patchouli in the imp. REALLLLLY strong.

On my skin this is like stale smoke-the kind that gets stuck on your clothes and hair after being in a really smoky bar all night. Once in a while I'll get a little whiff of that purple-y wine-y grape smell ( which I actually find really nice), but just barely. I just can't get past the patchouli/smokey smell covering it up. Not for me!

This is REALLY nice. Sort of what I thought Mme. Moriarty would smell like, but didn't. I get lots of grapes and lots of patchouli, but the patchouli doesn't do the awful brown bland thing that it has done on me before. The Nag Champa is there but it doesn't overpower. I'm so shocked, this seems like something I would hate. Now I'm thinking about a bottle. This is the kind of scent that will have people wondering what smells so delicious.

Dunno what the difference between red and black patchouli. But this is a nice dark, dirty scent. Again, in the bottle it smelled light, open bootle it smelled of sour fruit, and once on it blossomed into incensed patchouli. It's a quick fade, and is mostly dark nag champa.

You know what Urd is? Urd is hanging out with people 20 years older than me at age 17, chewing grape bubble gum, waltzing the hippie-biker circuit with a like-minded girlfriend. Naivete on the verge of corruption, bottled! Genius.

In the imp it is grapey, dark, and juicy. Sweetly sinister.

On the skin wet, the Grape amps sharply at first. Wrist-huff inducing, for sure. :P

Drying down, Urd settles into a smoky, luscious blend. The grapes are smoky and everything is just a big cloud of yum. I am thoroughly enjoying this, although I'm also in slight denial that anything involving patchouli can be this intoxicating. I do wish the grape-champa would hang around longer, but I don't mind reapplying to get that again.

This is great on my skin. Will definitely use up the imp.

Edited by Indig0

Not knowing what Muscadine or Cereus were before I smelled this blend I couldn't work out what the hell was going on :P

I still don't know what Cereus smells like..so I can't comment however....

Now I know, I can safely say the muscadine dominates this blend at first with the patchouli. It's got that grape smell that reminds me slightly of Blood Phoenix, but with patchouli at it's side! It's ever so slightly boozy but barely noticable (The booze).

The patchouli mellows out alot while it's drying and it turns into a much smoother blend. Everything comes together alot more and I wish this would be the point where the Nag Champa would pop out but it's only there a little bit.

Not very spectacular for me and I won't be buying a bottle but..I have tried all of the Norn's now so I feel a bit more complete!

Wine and incense.

Just when I thought that the incense would overwhelm the wine, the wine pushed the power up a notch. This is an interesting blend of incense, and not one I have encountered before. I've smelled nag champa and patchouli, but not together. The nag champa is giving a lighter lemony tone over the earthy patchouli, and the muscadine is sweetening up the whole.

I think I like. =)

In The Bottle

Black grape and patchouli. Juicy

On Application

Incense and patchouli

Dry Down

Just nasty incense. Disappointing.

Rating (0-5)

As with all patchouli scents (but not red!) this one went to a dull, leathery, bland kind of smell on me. I swapped it out already, and hopefully it works better on its new owner.