Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

The Full Moon that shines over the frost-rimed heart of winter. Traditional lunar oils combined with glittering snow flowers, soft breezes and frozen ferns.

I love it. I got a 5 ml in a swap. It's fabulous. Very aquatic on me, but with a fresh undertone, I guess that must be the florals. Not sure if you can get away with it on warmer days, I really think this is a winter perfume.

I purchased a 5ml of this unsniffed from a forum member.

I need to stop doing things like that.

For me, it may as well be called "I can't believe its not Ice Queen," as it morphs into the same medicinal/chemical laced crispness.

Whatever notes they share do not like me. I may hang onto it for a while to see if it smells different later.

I certainly hope so.

Oh my! On me its 'I can't believe its not ice queen" too! with maybe a touch more ice than in ice queen. Good thing I love Ice Queen.....

Wet: Berry Skittles. Um... :P . Right, my nose is not very sophisticated, if that's the best description I can come up with. Actually, it smells a lot like the opening notes of Blue Moon on me.

Drydown: That's the aquatic that's in Wolf Moon (and that I haven't smelled in any of the other moons I've tried - Frost, Chaste). And yep, smells like Ice Queen sans the pine. Which is not good for me, because Ice Queen made me physically ill :D.

I really loved the idea of this scent. I thought it would be awesome on my skin. It smelled lovely in the bottle. A nice crisp scent. Initially it was very lovely but soon turned sour on my skin. I hope the next several moons do better with my skin chemistry.

In the bottle: Sweet, crisp and cool.

First on: Very wet and juicy. I'm getting a slight figgy/plum note here, with light green florals and a cool breath.

After a bit: Sweet and icy. To me this is like the love child of Midwinter's Eve and Queen of Diamonds.

A bit more: The juicy part is drying down, but the scent is remaining very wet with a flash of green.

After a few hours: A clean aquatic scent doused with fern is left.

I simply adore this. A perfect combination. If anyone has a bottle they wouldn't mind parting with :P

Initial Sniff: Soft, muted florals and frozen berries.

Wearing: The florals are soft, like new-fallen snow. The frozen berries are similar to those in Skadi. Overall, this stays failrly true to the bottle scent on my skin, except the lovely aquatic lunar oils make a bit of an appearance at drydown.

Final Impressions: This is what I imagined Snow White would smell like, but it didn't. Simply gorgeous.

Beautiful "white" scent. I felt the chill as I smelled this — perhaps a bit of mint is in the "traditional lunar oils"? I detected the flowers behind the chill and the breezes. Very light flowers, though.

I really loved this, as it reminded me of one of my favorite sensations: the smell of impending snow on the winter night air. Cold, crisp, but comforting as well.

Bought this from the same LJ-er who sold me June Gloom.

The scent didn't really change on me from the vial to the drydown. It's sweet and cool. Smells like berries and flowers. I'm not really getting the ferns, but then again, I don't know what they're supposed to smell like.

I really like this. I can't stop sniffing my arm! And the staying power seems good too. :P

ETA: I took a shower, but I can still smell a hint of this on my arm. Nice!

Edited by Diviana

My first BPAL! I'm not really clear on what the notes and things are, so bear with me. :P

Wet, this was *sharp.* Floral with a strong base of what I suspect is aquatic, and very very crisp on my skin. As it dried down, it lost a bit of the chill, turning into a lovely rounded floral/berry/ferny smell that's subtle, but pleasantly so, and seems inclined to linger faintly.

I'm not so thrilled with the initial phase, but the drydown was nice enough that I'll probably keep it around and finish the imp. Definitely a winter floral, though! Think I'll put it in a box and save it for December, to wear under my knit sweaters. :D

First sniff: Unexpected! I was expecting a cold scent, a piney ice-and-snow scent, but Cold Moon is very floral and happy.

Wearing: This isn’t aquatic on me at all – just softly sweet florals with a hint of winter berry. Very pretty.

Bottle (Imp): It smells like cold air.

Just On: Smells like cold air with a barest hint of sweetness in it.

An hour or two later: It smells like the air before it snows, chilly but not frozen.

Around 6 hours: It's pretty faded now, so I can't really tell what it smells like.

12 hours: It's pretty well gone now, though I can smell the barest hint on me, as if a lone snowflake had landed on my arm.

Overall: This is a very nicely done scent, and I'm as impressed as I have been with all the lunacy blends. It's mixed well, because I can't pick out ANY notes, and it truly lives up to its name.

After reading other reviews: I didn't really smell the flowers in this one. Which is probably good, as my skin tend to warp flowers into something awful. I can see the comparisons to Ice Queen, but haven't sniffed Blue Moon, so I don't know how it compares to that. I certainly didn't get as much sweetness as many more folks have gotten.

In the bottle

sweet, watery, lightly minty blend

On

Lovley scnet. It's got that frost moon, chaste moon combo. Ever so slightly sweet and foody, with a breath of minty herbs, all on top of a watery blackground.

30 minutes

Doesn't morph a whole lot. I though it would like Frost Moon did or Harvest Moon. This stays nice and light and crystalline smelling.

Throw:

More than average

Scent category:

Aqua/herby

Summary

Differs from "Frost Moon" in that there's no sneaky floral, and no vague citrus.

It's similar to "Spazzepony" and "Sea of Glass" but with more sweet minty coolness.

Purchase again?

Yes.

1-5 rating (5 being best)

FERN! So that's what ferns smell like. At first I got a *very* strong green, crisp note from this, something that I've smelled in a lot of men's colognes. Since I have learned from this forum that fougere is a category of cologne and comes from the French for "fern", I think I can identify this note now!

An hour after applying, the fern is still the strongest note, but behind it I smell the sweet/ pale floral/ vaguely citrus smell that always characterizes the lunar oils. It's very clean and invigorating, almost too masculine, but not quite.

To me I get sweet, clean, crisp, auquatic floral with some sort of green note that I cannot identify. I have heard it referred to as smelling like blue moon which I have yet the opportunity to try. That being said I CANNOT wait to try Blue Moon as I found this one very intoxicating and lovely. A keeper :P

Wow, this one reminds me so much of Titania and Midwinter's Eve, 2 of my favorites. I know the description doesn't include anything fruity, but I get a definite frozen fruit note from this one. It's that same, glorious, iced-over scent that Beth so masterfully creates and uses in her cold and wintery scents. The florals are so light and lovely, they do make me think of frozen ferns and blossoms. This is tied with Milk Moon for my favorite lunar oil thus far. LOVE IT!!! Must find more... :P

*sigh* I guess I'm going to have to accept that my nose does not interpret the lab's "aquatic" note well at ALL, with the blessed exception of my beloved Sea of Glass (come to Mama, little bottle!). It's a durn shame, since the mere word "aquatic" in a description is enough to send me searching for some. But this? Not aquatic to me. Not even a little bit aquatic. Not even cool. Smelled like Chaste Moon without the cream or mint, which just leaves those unidentified lunar oils, plus some beautiful soft florals. Those are beautiful, but overall, this blend is a disappointment to me. I'm going to have my nose checked for a defect in the aquatic-detecting circuit.

Edited by Savannah

I confess that I was not expecting to like Cold Moon much, given my preconceived notion that I dislike floral blends. I think it is pretty much time to haul that one out to the trash, because I absolutely loved this. I can definitely smell something chilly and floral, but I am also getting something very fresh, almost fruity, but not a specific fruit. I think that must be the lunar oils or something, because it is similar in all of the Lunacies I've tried. And I am so very glad to have an imp of this one to play with...:P

On application: flowers, light ozone, something sweet. Perhaps some citrus? As it dries down, the sweetness comes out more. But the ozone is still there and hurts my nose when I take a closer sniff. On further drydown, becomes soapy. I think I would enjoy this if I didn't react so poorly to ozone, but I do, and can't smell anything else, so... sigh. No go.

Waaayyyyy sweeter than I was expecting, almost a jasmine-honey sort of sweet. Especially on the drydown.

From the bottle it smells almost like The Unicorn, though with less floral.

Wet, it smells light and sweet, and I have to sniff slowly and deeply to pick up that watery aquatic note. Which is good, because overly aquatic or ozone-y blends tend to smell sharply masculine on me. This smells more like sitting by a lake in early spring....you get the florals and the freshness, and just a wiff of something watery on the breeze.

Despite the association with early spring, this is in no way a 'chill' scent on me.

I like it, though I remain on the hunt for a truly icy blend. :P

Wet: Pine. It smells like a less in-your face version of Skadi at this point. Hmmm.

10 - 45 minutes: Oh my. I'm already figuring out what this is, and because it's a long-past limited edition I oh-so-know I'm in trouble. This is Ice Queen, but rather then the scent of forests slowly fading into a Titania-like icy fruit snowstorm, the scent unfolds more and more into gentle florals and the lunar bouquet. Beth's winter blends have always held my favorite place in the BPAL pantheon, and this might well be one of my favorites. The sweet florals have a wonderful, crisp virginal snow effect.

45 minutes - drydown: The fragrance becomes quite delicate at this stage. I no longer smell the pine at all, but instead simply sweet, subtle flowers and snow. This is evocative so much of walking slowly through a gentle night snowfall for me, one of my favorite things in the world.

I loooove this. I must have more. More, more, more! :D While Ice Queen is the evocation of a blizzard this is... this is the soft gentle snow of winter where you can still walk around and be absorbed in peace. The Silent Night to Ice Queen's biting frost.

*faint* :P

ETA Still in mad, passionate love with this stuff. I felt I should add, though, I don't know why I didn't notice this before (as it now is painfully obvious) but this is lotus! It's the most gorgeous lotus perfume I've ever smelled. It's not BPAL's typical bubblegummy lotus note a la Neptune and Shattered, but a sophisticated, soft lotus. I think this might be because it's mixed with iris; that's my best guess.

Edited by loveandprozak

In the Bottle: Sugared lemon and mint. Herbs. VERY fresh, clean and bright. Really natural and pure smelling.

Dry: Doesn't change much. All the smells named above mingle beautifully in perfect harmony, and are just happy and pure. This is gonna be one hell of a Spring scent.

1 to 10: 8 Buy again: No, only because it is an LE, and I can't get it, and I don't love it quite enough to pay the extra $$ on eBay. I'd buy a lesser $ used bottle though.

Frozen ferns :P. I think that ferns are beautiful, so that image sticks in my mind when I wear Cold Moon, even if the green scent doesn't last long on me. It's a crisp dark green while it lasts.

I figured that this would smell minty (since that's what most frost or cool perfumes use as a copout) but there is no mint here at all on me. Lovely, because I hate mint. It has an aquatic chill to it that reminds me of icicles thawing and dripping down the side of the house. Very clean, cold water.

After a few minutes a fruity sweetness comes out, like berries smashed over a blanket of hard snow. I love this stage. It gets much lighter and slightly powdery after a few hours, but I happily never get any headache-inducing florals florals. If there are florals, they're staying in the background and holding everything up, but I can't pick them out.

Overall I'd say this is very well blended. I couldn't pick out any mint or floral. This is just a unique and pretty aquatic tinged with greenery on me. Harvest Moon is going to be my main scent this fall/winter, but I'll happily use up my decant of Cold Moon when spring and summer come back around.

Bottle: $%#@ - soapy, TGI Friday's happy hour! Cold Moon screams thick, mouth-watering sugar of the bubble gum variety. A hint of gentle powder makes the gum scent more pronounced, and not even the touch of cold in the background can ease off the Bubbalicious attack.

Skin: GAH, PINK BUBBLE GUM REIGNS SUPREME! It's a continuous assault of PINK, PINK, SUGAR, SUGAR and I can't stop salivating, even though I really hate 'foodie' scents. Oh dear God, no! Cantaloupe, what are YOU doing here?!

Skin, Later: On me Cold Moon isn't cool at all, it's sort've warm (reminds me of the colour 'salmon' which is neither pink nor orange, but somewhere in between). Thankfully the saccharine sweetness backs away and leaves the all too familiar impression of CRAFT STORE versus WAX (so I meet you again, my well-known foes!).

Verdict: Damn you, Cold Moon, and your nefarious bubble gum agenda! I'm now stuck itching for anything Bubbalicious or Hubba Bubba just to sate my craving (two brands I just can't seem to find in this godforsaken country). About six hours later I catch a gentle breath of non-descript, honeyed incense with just a touch of vanilla extract and some dirt. On the plus side (is there a plus side to smelling like dirt and cooking extracts?) it has staying power.

Rating (on skin): 2/5

Summarised in a word or two: Bubblegum.

In the imp: Berry? I'm getting a frosty berry.

On skin, wet: Very berry, almost like bubblegum. Lotus? This starts out as a "cold" scent, but warms up very quickly, and becomes a soft, warm berry. I'm quite surprised.

On skin, dry: No change from wet, save to become a bit stronger.

Conclusion: Surprising! I don't get any flowers from this, only a lotusy berry. Interesting, and not unpleasant, but not for me, as I'm not big into bubblegummy berry.

Edited by Aredhel