Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

The Full Moon that shines over the frost-rimed heart of winter. Traditional lunar oils combined with glittering snow flowers, soft breezes and frozen ferns.

Initial Impression:
A very muted and pale floral scent. Can smell a bit of lotus.

After Wearing It:
This was a very pale white floral on me. I usually don't like white florals but this was pretty nice. Cool and flowing like water, but not too crisp. I also smelled a few light melon notes, and possibly some cucumber but they weren't very prominent.

Toward the end, the blend sweetened a bit and turned a bit powdery which was really nice. Thought I might have smelled lotus. All and all it was a very elegant, refined scent to enjoy.

Final Thoughts:
Wow that was a short review for me. I guess it was because while I liked Cold Moon, it really didn't move me and wasn't my style at all. I can still certainly appreciate its merits nonetheless!

Cold Moon smells cold. Like a walk outside with crisp air on a foot of snow. How appropriate for it to arrive post-Blizzard. It also reminds me a bit of when you hang your laundry on the back porch midwinter. It's got a hint of aquatics, a hint of sweetness (but not very fruity), a hint of floral, and a predominant greenness. It is very reminiscent of Ice Queen without the pine... there is a bit of an edge that Ice Queen has on me and that is missing as well. I prefer it to Ice Queen, actually. Just a nice, light, lovely scent.

I love this! It's kind of cold and fruity at the same time. To me it smells like a cross between Queen of Diamonds and Midwinter's Eve. It has the cold, sharp, clear bright feeling of Queen of Diamonds, but the sweet berry scent of Midwinter's Eve.

I love this as I find Queen of Diamonds a tad too chilly, and Midwinter's Eve a tad too sweet. This is the ideal balance between the two.

In the bottle: This smells so good. It's like Titania and Ice Queen had babies. It's kinda fruit, but also crisp and pure and fresh. The florals are nice, and it is ice cold. But there's also this hint of sweetness that reminds me of Midwinter's Eve.

Wet: Still has that faint flora/fruit/sweet smell but the cold is predominant over the other scents. And the fern provides a nice grounding note for this. It's very much like Ice Queen only not as cold and with a little more green to it.

Dry down: More of the sweet floral with just a hint of cold behind it. The ferns have died down and the florals really reign supreme. This has a bit of berry/fruit scent to it that mixes with the florals and makes me weak in the knees. There's a slightly green, darker note to it that could be a white musk or just the ferns.

Dry: This is so Titania, Midwinter's Eve and Ice Queen all blended together on me. It has this sweet fruity, cold, musky scent to it that's just stunning. And the fern comes out to play a little bit but the whole blend is just so...moon kissed. This is just being in the snow under the moon with flowers and so heavenly. I'm so glad I got this blend. It's going in a roller bottle as soon as I get to feeling a little better.

Cold Moon is so beautiful, it's heartbreaking. This fragrance is so wonderful, I really can't find the words to do it justice.

Beth, I love you so much for blending this magical oil and sharing it with the Universe.

I whined and whined for a bottle of this. My birthday this year fell within the 3-day full moon cycle of the Cold Moon, and in some strange way that made me "entitled." (Don't ask me to explain the logic.) Someone was kind enough to sell me a bottle at cost, for which I am extraordinarily grateful. It would have haunted me to have missed this.

In the bottle: Clear, aquatic, cold, with a hint of white flowers. It's difficult to stop myself from making comparisons to Ice Queen or Queen of Diamonds, both chilly white scents, but this smells softer and gentler than either of those.

Wet, on skin: I'm trying not to make comparisons, but...ah, hell with it. Ice Queen smells glacial, sharp and regal. This still smells cold, but it is softer, more flowery, and much greener. A walk through a garden of magical flowers peaking up above beds of winter snow (where as the only flowers in Ice Queen's garden are ice sculptures.) I can smell the greenness of the ferns and....and...no...no..NO DON'T YOU DARE TURN TO SOAP ON ME!! *screams, tackles Cold Moon, wrestles it to the ground and starts beating on it* NO SOAP! NO SOAP!! :P

Dry, on skin: Whew. That was a close one. Cold Moon started to go soapy on me, but after a half-hour, changed its mind and stayed as one of the most beautiful cold florals I've ever encountered. This a frail, delicate blend, as fragile and beautiful as snowflakes on lilies. Pure magic.

Conclusion: I really love Beth's icy blends. She has an extraordinary talent for them, and the fact that this is a gorgeous icy floral makes it all the more special.

Cold Moon

When the reviews started coming in for this I became very nervous. Aquatic? Noooooooo....... Luckily folks soon began to compare it to Blue Moon (the only other Lunar Oil I have) and I began to breathe a little easier.

It is like Blue Moon. :P

First off, before it's dries on the skin it's Ice Queen, very sweet frosted fruits. I find Ice Queen too sweet overall so this is a perfect compromise for me.

I don't find Cold Moon particularly cold. Where Snow White means walking through freshly fallen snow, Cold Moon gives me images of a frosty midnight walk to a pond to go gazing at the moon in the relection of the still water.

This is very ethereal and very calming. Gorgeous.

This is delectable, another one of Beths blends, you feel you could quite happily drink once smelt from the bottle, so yummy. It smells cold, more fruity than floral but a balance between is there.

On myself it smelt very similar to Blue Moon as noticed by others earlier in the thread but there's a sharp astringent note, if you sniff carefully that stops it being quite so lullabye-y as Blue Moon. Blue Moon is all about tranquility, Cold Moon feel to me, like winter fruits and flowers growing and revelling in their pale cold season.

Its similar to my Chaos Theory CV except that there was more mint in my CT, but still the blend of fruit and mint. Cold Moon is a lot softer, and melds terrifically together. One of my favourite Lunacy oils methinks.

:P

Cold Moon....

Wet, I find the scent cool yet creamy. Like a cross between Undertow (the cool and refreshing part), and the creamy richness hidden in Snow White or Midwinter's Eve.

Drying down it is a rather sweet and creamy. At first I think maybe there are some lotus or at least similar to lotus in Blue Moon. Later on the creamy side comes out. Not in a bad way at all.

I don't find this one to be as cool scented as I thought. Cold Moon actully seems sort of warmish on me. Very nice tho.

Overall it's lovely! Creamy Blue Moon to me.

In the bottle - cool and slightly fruity. Uh oh.... I'm not sure about fruity.

On - dries down to being a pleasant aquatic, not-quite-floral, not-quite-fruity scent. It smells familiar but I'm not sure what it reminds me of. I think I like it.

After a few hours - this has turned really sweet, heavy and headache inducing. It might be the musk which I have a problem with in some scents but not others.

Overall - Not as cold as I hoped though very pleasant for the first couple of hours. After that it's just too sweet.

ETA: now it's changed again after another hour or two. Now it's developed a slightly spicy/floral edge and isn't as sweet. I'm confused.

Edited by leapylees

I was unable to purchase this when it was released, but luckily I was able to obtain some from grrrlennyl.

I expected Cold Moon to be similar to Frost Moon. And it is... sort of. I can definitely smell similarities between the Cold, Frost, and Blue Moons. (Must be the "traditional lunar oils"?)

Cold Moon has a cool tone to it, but the initial scent is a sweet ... something. It's almost citrussy, then berry. Then it starts to go cold. Is there mint in this? I don't really smell mint, but I feel something that's like mint--a coldness, in any case. Finally, the florals. I don't know what florals exactly, but they're so pretty. Cold Moon is delightful.

First of all: I hate aquatics with passion. That said i was very afraid to try this one but again a pleasant suprise from the lab!!!! This is gorgeous, delicat, suble and already high up my top 10 list.

I smells exactly as I had expected Snow White to smell. Even my BF likes it, and as many of you know, he is not a big fan of the labs oils.

So on to the scent: white, suble floral and there is a hint of something foody, amonds perhaps. It's quite good lasting as i am having flu at the moment, I am in bed and my BF picked it from the post yesterday i dabbd a bit on my belly and inner elbows, I can still detect it 24 hours later

In the vial: This has the same watery, pale quality that Blue Moon had... a delicate blend of florals with a bit of melon (or perhaps cucumber) tossed in for good measure. However, this blend is a bit earthier than Blue Moon, which I suspect may be the work of the ferns.

Wet: The florals intensify for a moment, and the scent becomes less ethereal, more solid. The scent is still pale and chilly at this point, but it has lost some of it's original watery quality. The melon/cucumber note has been pushed to the background.

Dry: This scent is a changeling. One moment I smell melons, the next I smell potent white florals. While the scent remains delicate, aquatic, and gentle near my skin, its throw (which is predominantly floral) is dry and intense, almost incensy. There is something smooth and deep beneath the rest of the notes that might be musk.

Overall: The floral notes in the Cold Moon get to be a little much for me. When I wear this I will have to apply sparingly to avoid killer sinus headaches.

at first: not as "cold" as i expected. more watery, with a bit of mint and possibly lotus.

on: mostly lotus on me, but with the hint of a very sharp, herbal mint underneath.

2.5 hours later: oh, wow. this is really bad. it's smelling like really sharp, cloyingly floral perfume. how odd.

4 hours later: still that sharp floral.

overall: i just couldn't wear this. i don't what was going on, but my skin hated at least one of the notes. luckily, it's found a new home.

In bottle: Sweet and slightly aquatic. Quite juicy - it almost feels a bit fruity, but with herbs keeping it green and subtle.

On me: Very sweet - there's almost a berry quality to it. If you can imagine berry bubblegum tempered by an astringent herb that has mint's chill but isn't mint, then you've got this fragrance. I don't find this to be a floral fragrance at all, but it's so beautiful. This is very light, so slathering is a must for this fragrance.

I don’t have much hope for this one as everything with “lunar oils” turns sickeningly sweet on me.

In the bottle: Fresh, sweet, cold. Mild spicy note.

Wet: Ferny and sweet. Too sweet.

Finally: Lunar oils strike again. I get ferns and a spicy rotten melon smell. Oh well, that’ll teach me. :P :D

Origin:

I got an imp of this from The Vampire Lilith. :P

First sniff:

This reminds me of one of the Yule LE's, but I'm drawing a blank as to which one...Ice Queen, maybe? That seems the most likely, but I don't have a bottle of Ice Queen to compare Cold Moon to anymore. Anyway, I smell that sweet aquatic note that seems to be unique to BPAL and a hint of ferns. It's somewhat similar to Wolf Moon, but the two are definitely different to my nose. There's also some vague florals in the background, but they're not strong enough to bother me.

Wet on skin:

Now this reminds me vaguely of Skadi for some reason. It has that same pine (no idea where that's coming from) and faint berry scent that Skadi has, but it's mixed with florals of some kind. I love Skadi, so I'm happy Cold Moon is somewhat similar, but I don't know about the floral notes.

Dry down:

Cold Moon is much lighter and more serene smelling now. It's quite similar to Ice Queen on me now that it's dry, which isn't wonderful but isn't really bad either. Ice Queen really failed to impress me and Cold Moon is maybe a notch above Ice Queen for me. I would say Cold Moon would be what you would get if you took Ice Queen and combined it with a touch of Snow White...at least on me at any rate. It's somewhat creamy now that it's dry for some reason, but mainly it's a soft aquatic/vague floral/slightly sweet melony smelling wintery kind of scent.

The bottom line:

It looks like I made the right decision not ordering a bottle of this, but I'll be keeping my imp just because I might want it at some point down the road. :D

Cold Moon is definitely my favorite winter scent thus far.

It is the essence of ice and snow as it smells cold and blustery. There is a faint floral edge as though the winds were carrying the scent of flowers from far away.

This is a very delicate scent but it is long-lasting.

My very first review...YAY :P

Bought this from a generous forumite...since I missed out on buying this.

First Whiff from bottle: Whooa... initially I am smelling sweet...almost bubblegum sweet...can kinda get the aquatic note..but it is waaaaay in the background...and I can sort of smell the *chill* everyone is talking about but basically it is the sweet bubblegum vibe I am getting...oh no!!! :D

How come this is happening??? Okay..don't panic...try it on..

Applied wet on skin:Just put a dab on my wrist..and WOW..there goes that bubblegum sweetness again..but quickly that is transitioning and yes..I am smelling the floral..and the aquatic..but nothing of a fern scent per se...it is STILL sweet..not foody sweet but sweet..and floral..but it seems to be softening...

Am not sure if I am wild about this..since I am not particualrly fond of florals..but this scent does intrigue me a bit..so I am willing to give this more time to morph onto me...definitely nothing I have ever smelled before. It DOES seem to give off a bit of a *cold* vibe..another reviewer described it aplty..sort of like smelling flowers in a fog...kind of powdery, soft and sweet.

Bottom Line- Not something I would gravitate towards to...but something I am curious on try on..just to see how it develops.Still am interested in the Lunar Oils...they are definitely intriguing.

Cold Moon is wishy-washy on me. It just doesn't know what its going to smell like on any given day. In the bottle : its crisp, cool and kinda sweet. There is something underneath it all, though, that I don't like. Can't tell what it is.

On the skin: still crisp and cool, but not as sweet. It fades into my skin to make a very light scent. Hmm. I can't really describe this scent. Sometimes I think I like it, sometimes I don't.

The first two times I wore Cold Moon, I developed a really bad headache. Not sure if it was the scent by itself, or if my sinus infection helped it. I'll have to try this again before I make a final verdict.

I got Cold Moon thinking it would be light, crisp and cool, based on all the reviews. But on me, it is almost exactly the opposite. It is really warm, strong, and a little goes a long way!

In the bottle: smells sharp, a little citrusy, with spice and a hint of floral. It is really strong, and makes my nose itch.

On me, after the initial wet phase: Much softer, smoother, no citrus at all, but very warm. It smells like sugary incense, with a light floral in the background. It becomes a little powdery, and I can detect just a hint of fern. I don't get anything cold about this at all.

Overall, I really like this, and am glad I gave it a second chance.

Cold Moon:

This scent was so complex and constantly-changing it baffled me. In the imp, I smell berries! Lots and lots and lots of berries, with perhaps a hint of mint. As soon as Cold Moon hits my skin, though, it's floral, interlaced with.. soap. After about a half an hour or so, a get a slight hint of something mint-based coming up, but it's very vague. In the end, it fades into a very nice, light floral, but the soapy hints are still there.

I'm going to have to try Cold Moon again, and see if it has the same effect. The whole experience was confusing. Admittedly, this is my first lunacy oil, so I'm unfamilliar with lunar oils as a whole.. I'm not really sure what to expect with them. Ahh well, better luck next time. :P

Watery, aquatic, and sweet.

I can't do aquatics, they give me a headache. It isn't fair either as I love the way they smell. :P

Off it went to a new home!

Wet it's a bouquet of white "cold" flowers with a subtle green touch and the lunar oils. Freesia? Lilly? I'm not sure, but I'm in love.

A bit aquatic, this is a lovely winter perfume, light, cold and clean.

Just perfect.

I agree with Finny--cold, aquatic and sweet. Not Hall's cough drop-like (thank goodness!) like Undertow, but like dark, cold water (and not at all detergent-like). This is not me at all, but it would be perfect as a candle or room scent :P