Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
allamanda

Voodoo

A midnight scent, evoking images of flickering golden firelight reflecting off the sheen of glistening skin and the jerking shadows of bodies suffused with spiritual ecstasy. A deep, powerful, resonant blend of myrrh, patchouli, vetiver, lime, vanilla, pine, almond and clove.

The lime is most prominent in this. Especially when you smell the lime fringed by the patchouli, it reminds me an awful lot of the discontinued celestial blend Leo. The lime floats on top of the hippie-store, mellow woodsyness and is brightened by the other flowers and spices on the edges. Voodoo is a scent that's more happy and less smoky than I expected. Not vastly ritualistic, but a nice touch when you're out shopping for coffin nails and graveyard dust.

In the bottle - smells heavily of lime, with vanilla and pine vying for attention.

Upon wearing, the initial impression is the same, but the lime fades a bit, and the clove, patchouli and vetiver start to give it a more earthy, smoky edge, with the vanilla and almond adding some sweetness - but not sickly sweet. (Also, I don't get a ton of almond as some folks have - it's there but not one of the stronger note of the blend for me.)

Overall it smells......weird.

I don't think I've ever smelled anything like it. It's sort of an odd blend of notes, odd meaning ones that you don't normally smell or expect to smell together.

And this scent does seem to change a lot over the hours - a lot more than most others I've tried - so it's hard to pin down (hah!). I like it best many (like 4- 6) hours after applying when it's a bit more earthy, smoky, spicy and not so key lime pie.

It's funny - I might actually outright LOVE this one if it had less lime. But even with that, I can't seem to persuade myself to swap it or even stop wearing it - and I don't even know if I like it!!

I think I almost like it for that reason - that it's so complex and unique that I really can't make up my mind about it.

Edited to Add 3/16 : I am now totally in love with this. I think my imp has mellowed a bit since I got it and the lime blast fades and blends in with the rest much more quickly - i'm totally fine with it after about 15-20 minutes. This is one of my top 5 lately.

Edited by wolfie13

Oh Voodoo... how I love you! :P

In the vial it smells like a mixture of sweet sweet coke and lime.

On me it's a deep (but not as deep as, say, Darkness), sweet, strong mix. I find it hard to pick out all the individual notes, but I'm definitely getting the vanilla, pine, myrrh, patchouli and clove. Occasionally I think I can smell the lime, but if so, it's really light. I feel like I've been outside, cavorting in the woodland with a sweet, spicy incense burning close by. I don't think it's a particularly masculine scent, but then my tastes do run to the strong - however, this would be absolute heaven on a man. The first sentence of the description fits the mood perfectly, I think - and I find it quite a sensual, insistent perfume.

It lasts for ages and really wafts! I put it on and an hour later my housemate came into my room and informed me that my room smelled "interesting". He's not used to anything but commercial perfume (which he doesn't like) and didn't dislike the scent at all - but I think he was rather thrown by it! It also scents my hair very nicely. Another one of the "eating-wrist" variety. Definite big bottle.

bottle: WHOA!!!!!! alcohol, or something seriously boozy!

wet: thank god that went away...im supposed to go to AA in a lil while...lol. now its a smogasbord of scents...i get the patchouli, the vetiver, the pine...i think clove...

dry: mmm....sweet and smoky. like dark vanilla clove musk. i like this...its like the shadows just beyond the the edges of a bonfires light...

omgomgomg I like it! i didnt think i would like it so much...but I do..I DO I DO I DO!

Mmmm....vanilla, patchouli, and clove....

Like someone said earlier, there is something about this that seems very primal. It dries down to something very spicy and complex. I ordered an imp of this, but next time I will definately be ordering a bigger bottle.

This scent makes me really look forward to my to trip to New Orleans this Spring.

In Bottle: Sour but sweet, cola scent.

On Skin: The pine, myrrh, lime and vanilla stand out. I can identify them right away. The patchouli has an incense note in the background, but obviously there. I can’t really smell the vetiver, and I’m thinking the almond along with the vanilla give the scent it’s sweet edge. After a few minutes the cola scent leaves, and the clove makes itself known. I really like how interesting and how many levels this scent has. I love it, but wish the patchouli was lighter, since I’m not fond of that note at all. My favorite notes that stand out are the vanilla and almond… delicious… I wish the lime had stuck around a while longer.

i tested this one at the black broom...

it smelled nice in the bottle, but on me, it went to pine. :/ however, it smelled wonderful on my boyfriend. no fair! :P

First sniff from the bottle- Woo! Strong stuff. I smell clove and limes...and pine and almonds.

After 20 minutes- Now the vetiver and pine are coming out which I was hoping wouldn't. I am not a vetiver fan. But wait....now the vetiver is gone and replaced with clove and almond. How strange! This one just keeps on morphing.....now it is a gorgeous almond, clove and lime blend.

Summery- This drys down to a gorgeous masculine spicy scent much like Port au Prince. I like it! :P

:P

Voodoo has more notes in it than I usually go for in my perfume oils, but it smells sooo good and I love the change that it goes through on my skin.

For the first few minutes after application it smells like a delicious tangy cherry limeade slushie. Then the vanilla, pine, patchouli, and clove come out and dominate, mixing together into something amazing. It's spicy, it's sweet, yet it smells like a dark forest. All at the same time.

After about 3 hours, I am getting mostly vanilla, patchouli, and pine... and lord is that wonderful. A vanilla drenched forest.

I'm so in love with this... :D

In the vial, Voodoo smells like Cherry-vanilla Coca-Cola. Promising, considering my sweet tooth --

However: once on my skin, it dies a withering death into headache-inducing lime jell-o baby powder. I don't know how to describe it -- I can still smell the lime, but it's sitting on top of this powdery scent that won't go away and is making me all yucked up.

Alas, Voodoo, I knew the voodoo that you do so well -- just not on me.

In the bottle: I get pine, lime, almonds and a deeper woody note

wet: yuk! Smells of very sickly marzipan and toilet cleaner on my skin

1 hour later: now settling down to something wearable - the almond has almost disappeared and I'm left with a woody and spicy yet fresh smell.

I quite ike the drydown of this, but it really smells strange in a not particularly pleasant way for the first 30 - 60 minutes, and the drydown isn't special enough for me to go through with the first hour of unpleasantness! Won't be getting any more of this.

In the bottle: Mmmmm..... This smells exactly like something but I can't think of what. It's heavy cherry.

First on: Cherry & clove, but a marascino cherry, not a juicy fresh one. I generally dislike cherries, but I can also smell the vetiver coming out, which I like.

Drydown: It's turned into a non descript scent. All the notes blend well together and the overall scent is very pleasant, but it's very much like Masabakes, with cherry. I'm trying to figure out why the bottle is reddish in color. I like it, but I'm not sure if I'll keep it.

Weird start, a kind of fake cherry scent. Patchouli/myrrh come through quick, then the almond of Black Phoenix. The myrrh triumphs over the patchouli, thankfully, and reminds me even more of Black Phoenix: there's no weird twinge as in some other blends.

Aha! a Black Phoenix for men!--the lack of sweet helps that. After awhile, I'd swear I WAS wearing Black Phoenix.

Oh my, Cherry Cola! That's my first impression.

I have to say based on the ingredients list, which is somehow all things I adore, I had to try this- and fast.

After the initial blast of red fruits (oddly enough), it settles into a woody scent with a touch of sweetness over top. Vanilla, yes, almond, yes... musk, yes. I don't smell the clove.

The pachouli comes out more slowly than the sweet.... but it builds over time. A couple of hours later and I smell the lime- it's lime mixed with something slightly bitter however.

Oddly, this oil seems to be a bit of an aphodisiac on me. Not sure why, but I'm not complaing.

Not sure what it says they I like it on me and not anyone else though! :P

This might be a new favorite. I am smitten.

I really really thought that I would like this one based on the notes, especially the vanilla, almond, lime and clove. I snagged an imp on a whim based on notes alone in a forum purchase and even going through the reviews, nothing prepared me for the fact that on me this blend is all patchouli.

Not just patchouli...PATCHOULI!!!!!!!

I'm not getting *any* of the other notes, except maybe as deep background and I have to sniff way too deeply to get them.

I don't mind patchouli per se...it is a nice backdrop to, say, Hetiaere (sp?), but I cannot handle the full bore you-smell-like-you-did-in-your-high-school-hippy-chick-days feeling of what is an almost uncut patchouli scent on my skin. (The background being that I used to drench myself in pure patchouli oil during a brief period in high school - I had actually forgotten what it smelled like. Now I remember but good.)

I need to go wash my wrists off in the work bathroom now, because sadly it's giving me a headache - cursed brain. Watch for Voodoo coming to a swap post near you. :P

Well, the description has it...but for me it doesn't work. I find that it is a masculine scent not really all that neutral. I wanted to like it and I wanted it to like me. :P

Would work great as an incense scent on a positive note.

in the bottle: I wasn't quite sure how to describe what Voodoo smelled like in the bottle at first, but upon reading some of the other reviews, I've realized: cherry-lime cola, with a shot of vanilla. Heavenly.

wet on skin: the pine has slithered forward, just a bit, and brought along his friend, almond. None of the other scents step back or get stronger, they're just blended beautifully together.

dry: this lasts for so long, it's amazing. And the waft on it has good reach, without being overpowering. Everything stays where it is, no drifting away of any scents.

Voodoo is one of my number one favourites, from the moment I first smelled it. It is absolute perfection.

In the bottle: sweet resion with a harsh pine note that almost burns my nose (Oh no)

On wet: I get a resiny pine scent. With the Almond and Vanilla slightly to the back.

Dry Down: This reminds me a bit of a men's cologne I have smelled before but I have no idea what. The Pine has definetly died down and oddly everything has blended almost to well it is very hard to find almost any particular note.

Overall: This is a very interesting scent very balanced but to me this seems just a little to masculine for me. But I bet it would smell sexy on my guy.

Wet on me this was predominantly sweet almonds, with a little bit of lime in the background. This faded in about 10 minutes and for a while it seemed as if the entire blend had disappeared. After a further 10 minutes the blend popped back, now it was a heavy, but sweet incense. I found this to be a very unusual scent, but slightly uncomfortable wearing.

medicinal and boozy.....almond and cherry...incense too......extremely complex blend for me....... :P

perhaps in the winter months this might be better????

after awhile.....

the patchouli definitely comes out now........fantabulous......

i adore that the pine never comes out on my chemistry as it did with other reviewers.....

add this to my "big bottle list"...... yup,yup.......no question......a definite head shop type scent......i soooooooooooooo dig voodoo!!! :D :D

Got this from enigmae. Definitely not what I was expecting, but I am so glad I gave this one a shot. Thank you!

As soon as I open the imp, I get almonds followed by pine. The boy immediately liked it so he took the imp and slathered some on. It smells somewhat like almond cereal, being pricked with pine. As this dries it smells a bit sweet, sharp and dark. It gets faintly spicy and warms up. It has a masculine feel to it, but a girl could wear this as well.

Wow. This is a very unique and complex blend, I’ve never smelled anything like it. I love how it smells on Jon and I think I will be getting more just so I can smell it on him. :P

I got this as a freebie from the Lab in one of my recent orders. I most likely wouldn't have ordered it because the description and some of the notes don't really appeal to me. Wet this is very sharp, herbal and strong lime. It almost smells just like Coke which is odd. When first applied I start to get a hint of cherry. It quickly develops into a pencil shavings/cedar note mixed with cherry and wood. This is a very masculine scent. After about 30 minutes I found this to be too strong and manly and ended up washing it off.

The lime, pine, and myrrh were immediately discernable. The clove soon comes out :P and the vanilla, and the lime makes a quick exit.

This is yummy, soft new-agey goodness :D the clove and vanilla make this totally wearable and sensual :D

Rating (on skin): 1/5

Summarised in a word or two: Weird!

In the imp/bottle: Sharp, bitter almond and dark vetiver.

On skin, wet: A strange combination of lime, vanilla, pine and almond. Very interesting,, but not especially pleasant.

On skin, dry: Mostly lime and pine, and very sweet. Very much like an air freshener, or cough syrup.

Conclusion: Unique and probably amazing to someone else, but not to me.

Edited by Aredhel

can you say ricola? I hated this upon application, but waited it out, from wet, to dry, this one morphs tremendously! Wet it was an herbal ricola cough drop, fine for the purpose but NEVER what I seek to smell like... After it dried oh my, a warm spicy party in the deep dark woods :P mellowing more it gets warm and spicy, very nice, very very sexy :D I thankfully never got the almond from it, just pine and clove and some sort of light musk to sweeten the blend. ( or maybe it was the vanillla, but it's not heavy in any case). This blend reminds me of The world, silk road, wolf's heart for a reference point.

It is also a bit like bloodlust if there was no blood in it, but not quite as spicy. I'm loving beth's spicy blends, especially spicy but NOT orientals.

Wonderful scent, and very androgenous, it is equally lovely on a man or a woman