Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

PEITHO

The Goddess of Persuasion, Seduction and Sexual Wiles. A member of Aphrodite’s retinue, she is also Aphrodite’s daughter and sister to Tyche and Eunomia. Lusty myrtle and jasmine with red sandalwood, stargazer lily, and clove over an opulent, rich bed of warm musk and bourbon vanilla.

In the bottle: Kinda powdery, almost aquatic. Rather light and feminine. Reminds me of something. Something that I havent felt since....

On me (wet): Something familiar about this. Its nice, not bad or anything. But there is a baby powder sort of smell to it on me. Jasmine probably. Vanilla sweetens severely on me. Not getting much of the clove or sandalwood here.

On me (dry): I got it! Love's Baby Soft. It smells like the Love's Baby Soft which I used to wear in high school years ago. I smell only the Jasmine and Vanilla on me, and a bit of the musk. Still can't get the clove or sandalwood distinctly out of this, but it does seem to have a bit more oomph than LBS- more smoky and grown up.

Its a nice scent. Very feminine. Not so much a *me* scent. But I can see it as an afterthought kind of scent. More of a "going out to meet old friends" scent as opposed to a "Seduce and Lust" scent.

In the bottle: Florals with a slight, slight tinge of spice with a very slight powdery scent.

On wet: Jasmine, a slight musk and maybe a little of the sandalwood. Very nice light floral with a tinge of warmth around the edges.

Dry Down: Wow this baby warmed up a whole lot of me!! Wow! I suddenly went from a light floral, to spicey with a touch of floral. Not really the jasmine now but more likely the Lily is what I am getting. I also am getting a tiny bit of the vanilla's sweetness.

Overall: This scent is very different then I thought from the first sniff. This is a very warm sexy scent with just that touch of fem floral. Yummy!

Edited by blood*rose*flowers

On first sniff, I expected this to be another white, cloying floral blend. Fortunately, when applied, unfolds a deep, sensous personality.

Immediately on impact I smell the clove, sweet, sweet clove...mixed with the musk (which seems red to me). They are such a great combo! They are even balancing out the jasmine. Did you hear that!? The jasmine has been detained my friends!

Rounding out the rich creaminess of the drydown is the wonderful vanilla. Vanilla does such great things for blends. It isn't terribly apparent so you vanilla haters might still like Peitho. It simply grounds the sharper, more wild notes in the blend.

It starts to get a bit sharp as it dries, and I have feeling the jasmine might make a security breach. Let's hope Beth trained the other notes well though! That does seem to be the case, though you gotta give the jasmine props for trying.

I'm going to have to give this one a go a couple more times before I decide on a big bottle or not. Right now it's teetering on the fence--one side the beautiful spicey side, the other, jasmine as supreme dictator.

I will say though: if you like jasmine, but really find it much too overpowering in a blend, give Peitho a try.

I love all the notes listed for Peitho except for jasmine but I was hoping that maybe the clove, which usually amps way up on me, might be able to beat down the jasmine. Oof, this is all jasmine when I first put it on. And it takes more than clove, all the other notes join forces and manage to tame the jasmine after about half an hour and let me tell you, it is quite a wrestling match! This ends up smelling quite pretty and is so well blended at that point that I really can't pick out any of the individual notes. I'm not sure I would ever get a big bottle of this since the half hour of jasmine is a little much to live through but I may keep the imp.

I could pretty much copy/paste ChupaChup's review of this one. Although I do love jasmine, as always, no matter what other notes might be in a blend, jasmine overpowers all. After about an hour, the jasmine lightened up a bit and the bourbon vanilla tried to peek through. Unfortunately, I only got about a split second's worth of it and then the jasmine said, "oh hell no!" and took over again.

Might give it a second try in a few days, but I doubt it'll change :P

Never thought this day would come -- especially with a scent that's description starts out "lusty jasmine". I chanced the jasmine dread factor (on my skin) and tried this because of the other notes. Best thing I ever did. I love this one. It is very unique. The jasmine is drowned out by the clove and lily and the musk and bourbon vanilla give this an extreme softness that is to die for. As the person above stated -- if you can't wear Beth's jasmine, try this one. You won't regret it. Lovely. I really can't pick out any specific notes except for the musk and bourbon vanilla which lend a creaminess to the blend. Very unique. Nothing quite like in in the entire line of BPAL I've sniffed (which is quite a bit).

in the vial: jasmine

wet: jasmine (please let something else show up as it dries jasmine hates me)

as it dries the jasmien is still very prevelant but teh sandalwood is making it a bit more tolerablei also am getting a bit of the musk but so far no vanilla burbon :P

The good: I agree that the jasmine in this is tolerable - for jasmine. Peitho is a light, feminine scent that's a breezy floral. I totally get the Love's Baby Soft association and it's a nice one. This isn't a top 10 for me but it's definitely pleasant.

Now the bad: I really don't care for jasmine and am disappointed that it (once again) trumped all these other tantalizing notes. What does warm musk and bourbon vanilla smell like? I'll never know. That damned jasmine drowns it all out.

First Impression: Jasmine restrained. Creamy vanilla perfection.

Second Impression: Opulent and rich are such perfect descriptives for this blend. The musk and vanilla are so warm and so sweet that you almost forget that jasmine is present. The woods and the spice go hand in hand with the florals, keeping perfect balance. This scent is sexy as hell with great staying power and excellent throw.

Final Analysis: This scent is Antique Lace in her sexual prime. Utterly addictive and much more of a masterpiece than her grandmotherly counterpart. Peitho should be a BPAL staple, a must try. Add it to the ranks with Snake Oil and Dorian.

in bottle

Oh my, I feel a 5 star scent coming on.

on

Oh for the love of God, this is so good. Firstly, just now when i read for the first time that it smelled like love's baby soft, I think I may have wee'd my pants a little. I was a Love's jasmine fanatic (freak is more like it). And anyway after I read that post I hoped, I prayed, and while it may not smell exactly like it, it is BETTER.

n022.gif

dry

It gets stronger as it dries. The jasmine does. Wow, at this stage it's really smelling like Lush's "Flying Fox" shower gel...with a yummy vanilla top note.

bpal scent category

spicy/foody/floral

throw

average

purchase again

Yes, no question. I'm going to purchase a 10ml. If they don't have 10ml's of this I'll get a 5ml.

rating 1-5 (5 being best)

Summary

Stargazer Lily is one of my favorite smells. And the whole Love's Baby Soft Jasmine stuff is altogether making me swoon for this blend. I don't smell the sandalwood, myrtle, musk nor the clove. *shrugs*

It's a long lasting scent too which is great. And it's got this vanilla note that's so wonderful with the primary notes; heady jasmine, and stargazer....Ohh.

The last order I recieved contained an imp pack with Piethos, Himerus, and Zorya in it. Was I on a Jasmine kick or what? What possessed me?

Well, I've learned that my skin LOVES jasmine. Put it on, and that's mostly what I get. All three of these scents were remarkably similiar on me, though that wasn't true of how they smelled in the bottle.

This one is jasmine + myrtle for me. Maybe a bit of the lily. No vanilla, no clove, which is sad because those are my favorite notes and probably why I ordered it...well, and because it has to do with sex... :P

Oh well....

eta: haha! Joke's on me--there is no Jasmine in Hemerus, but there was a similiar floral note to my nose in them all....

Edited by cuervosueno

ooooh this is lovely. it does indeed start off *very* jasmine, with some other heady floral - must be the lily. (actually it reminds me of Bnever's '2 hearts beat as one' if any of you are familiar with that). as it dries I can smell the clove and the vanilla too - the sandalwood is grounding without being too sandalwood-y (not that I would mind, I love sandalwood). it's not too musky - just warm and womanly. a really smooth, warm, sexy blend. a 'grown-up' scent.

I love it! :P I'm so glad I got 5mls

This is a very flowery scent, and I'm horrible at identifying flowers, with just a hint of clove in the throw. The sandalwood makes it a warm scent and the sweetness of vanilla is just barely there rounding it out, but it's predominantly the flowers.

Wet on me this was very stongly jasmine, and jasmine tends to go strangely sour on me, so it wasn't very successful. However, I could smell the vanilla and spices in the background and what I could smell of them was very nice, creamy, comforting sweetness. As it dried the balance shifted, with the vanilla and clove becoming more prominant, but the jasmine still dominant. I can see this being a glorious blend on someone whose skin worked with jasmine, but it's not for me.

Wet - very strong jasmine and something medicinal, myrtle perhaps? Looking up myrtle I see it smells similar to camphor, so yes it is myrtle I am smelling. All I know is this is strong, I have a feeling this won't be fading on me anytime soon.

Dry - it takes a while, but eventually I get this lovely jasmine/vanilla/spice combo that reminds me of my beloved The Moon. It's a little lighter in terms of throw, and a bit spicier, but the similiarilty is there. I already have a 10ml of The Moon on order, and I am not sure if I need this as well, although I might ;-) I wish there was a bit more throw to it once the myrtle dies down, but other than that, it's darn near perfect!

On the wickedgoddess scale of 1 to 5, with 5 being best, this rates a 4.

I was concerned about this....

The notes seemed fabulous....but...

Wet: Jasmine, strong sickly sweet jasmine.

Later: The Jasmine has moved into the background a bit and the other notes are popping...mertle, vanilla...

Dry: I still haven't gotten any clove from this. But it's beautiful. Sweet, sexy, very floral/vanilla...it is femininity in a bottle.

I can't wait to recieve the bottle I ordered.

First on I get very strong clove and jasmine. I also feel like there's patchouli in this, it's a very strange mix of overwhelming sweet and overwhelming spicy. I was intrigued by the clove and bourbon vanilla in this blend. Unfortunately, it did exactly what I feared it would. This smells like nothing but jasmine on me after about two minutes. Giving me yet another jasmine induced headache. Boo. All of the other notes sounded so lovely... but jasmine is a ruthless bully :P

Wet in the imp, so the jasmine is really wanting to let me know she is there....back down you bossy floral, lets wait for the vanilla and other notes to say Hi.

Wet on the skin, still quite jasmine. I can see where other reviewers are getting the vanilla but it is so faint that I hardly notice it.

Dry...jasmine all the way. This was actually going to be for a friend. I hope she likes it.

First Sniff:

Jasmine and flowers and a wee bit of booze. It makes me a bit leery because Jasmine in massive quantites gives me a headache. I'm hoping the bourbon vanilla will balance it out though.

Wet:

Jasmine and alchohol and not the good boozy kind either. The jasmine is really overpowering though and reminds me a lot of New Orleans in that regard. I

really want to like this but I'm afraid the jasmine will be overpowering :/ Going to let it drydown some more in the hopes that the bourbon vanilla will pop up.

Drydown:

OMFG it's powder! When I was in Thailand I discovered Johnson & Johnsons floral baby powder. They don't make it here in the US but Peitho smells exactly like it. A bit florally, a bit vanilla. It's probably the most subtle jasmine scent I've ever smelled.

Aftermath:

Definitely glad I bought a bottle of this! If most jasmine scents make you go :P give Peitho a try. It's beautiful and I forsee a cult surrounding it.

Most jasmine scents make me go :P and unfortunately, Peitho is no exception.

Wet, Peitho is screamingly loud jasmine with vanilla, musk and other notes valiantly trying to push through. As the scent dries down, I get a slightly softer jasmine scent that's almost imperceptibly rounded by vanilla. But it's still mostly about the jasmine. At least it's not soapy, as Beth's jasmine normally is on me.

I was gifted with imps of Peitho by two lovely forumites, and I'll be re-gifting them to others whose chemistries hopefully work better with jasmine than mine.

Oh, dear God - BEST JASMINE BLEND EVER! God, this is awesome. What's so lovely about it is that I get such an amazing and warm wafting of Jasmine and lily, but it doesn't come off at all as a standard floral perfume. It's SO rich and SO warm. Good god, this is a deep, sexual and just gorgeous scent. I can pick out every listed note as well-which is weird for me since I'm generally a bit of a fool about such things. I agree with the earlier sentiment - Peitho must be a staple. YUM.

Edited by pkwench

Peitho was a frimp from the lab that I was wanting to try. Thanks, lab!

wet: Light jasmine. Worried that the jasmine will turn evil, but I press on.

on: Spices and vanilla? This is actually quite nice. I think the sandalwood, myrtle, musk, vanilla and clove together are beating the jasmine back. Yay! I can still tell it's there, but it's submitting and blending into the lily in the background. The overall effect is of a creamy vanilla-whiteness liberally sprinkled with spices.

Peitho is kind of like a more refined sister of Hell's Belle on me...it has the same sort of creamy sexy white floral/spice combination. I actually quite like this. I don't think I need a bottle, but the imp will be saved.

Peitho hits my skin and screams "JASMINE, JASMINE, JASMINE, lily, JASMINE JASMINE!" After about an hour and some, I finally get a hint of vanilla, but ultimately, the jasmine scares me off.

On initial application- jasmine! Hello there jasmine!

I smell a hint of something resembling iris... it's very floral but at the same time, better than most florals. Hm... sandalwood, musk, vanilla.. all of these take a backseat initially.

The vanilla slowly emerges to sweeten the florals, but it's very faint. The sandalwood is just missing.

Drydown is much sweeter and less floral, kinda musky too. I wish it was like this all the time. Don't think I can bear with the initial floral stage, but this is certainly one of the more interesting florals I've tried.

Today's scent is Peitho, a wonderful frimp from the Lab.

In the vial - mmmm, sweet sandalwood

On me - oh wow! The musk and vanilla come out the strongest on me (they normally do), with the sandalwood being quite sniff-able as well. The florals are a light presence, they lighten up the scent a bit and make it less heavy. I cannot smell clove at all.

Wow, this is very, very nice. This might even be bottle-worthy. I seem to be stopping a lot to sniff my wrists as I type. Yeah, this is gorgeous. MMmmmm. Happy Barb!