Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Absinthe

Limited editions equivalents in the general catalog?

Can anyone suggest anything for Knecht Ruprecht, which I should hate, but LOVE, and I only got a teeny tiny little drop I am rationing out to a tiny dab on the back of one hand at a time just to sniff it :(

Another LE to LE comparison - and it's more of a "if you like X, you might like Y" than "OMG these smell just alike!"

Makhanitis feels like a kissing cousin to both Hellion and Nahemoth to me. It's probably the plum, champaca and sandalwood evoking Hellion - Nahemoth's notes are a mystery but it's quite plummy to my nose. Both Hellion & Nahemoth are a little more complex than Makhanitis. But fans of the two, and anyone who loves plum, should check it out.

And that's not to say naaelah's comparison to Prospero isn't a good one - for some reason the champaca in Prospero went wild on my skin and I just turned into a walking, talking, blooming champaca tree. One that had been drinking a little too much red wine. And I don't loooove champaca in large doses, so Prospero and I parted ways. I had much better results with Makhanitis ;)

cinnamonmel, it has been a while since I tried Knecht Ruprecht so I checked the notes to refresh my memory (The snow-covered foliage of the Black Forest and the fruit and woods of apple and almond trees). I remember it being almondy on me more than anything although there was some evergreen and apple in the background. Maybe take a peek at the thread about almond scents if you're getting that note and branch out a bit from there? What are the predominant notes you get from it?

Phox, have you tried White Rose from the Unity set that the Trading Post is offering? You have to buy White and Red together but of course there's always the possibility of finding a partner beforehand if you absolutely don't want Red or swapping it away afterwards. Two, Five & Seven has lots of sweet rose - Eternal also features that gorgeous white rose note with some other sweet florals.

Spruce I think and apple blossom? Thankfully no almond!

Another LE to LE comparison - and it's more of a "if you like X, you might like Y" than "OMG these smell just alike!"

Makhanitis feels like a kissing cousin to both Hellion and Nahemoth to me. It's probably the plum, champaca and sandalwood evoking Hellion - Nahemoth's notes are a mystery but it's quite plummy to my nose. Both Hellion & Nahemoth are a little more complex than Makhanitis. But fans of the two, and anyone who loves plum, should check it out.

And that's not to say naaelah's comparison to Prospero isn't a good one - for some reason the champaca in Prospero went wild on my skin and I just turned into a walking, talking, blooming champaca tree. One that had been drinking a little too much red wine. And I don't loooove champaca in large doses, so Prospero and I parted ways. I had much better results with Makhanitis ;)

cinnamonmel, it has been a while since I tried Knecht Ruprecht so I checked the notes to refresh my memory (The snow-covered foliage of the Black Forest and the fruit and woods of apple and almond trees). I remember it being almondy on me more than anything although there was some evergreen and apple in the background. Maybe take a peek at the thread about almond scents if you're getting that note and branch out a bit from there? What are the predominant notes you get from it?

Phox, have you tried White Rose from the Unity set that the Trading Post is offering? You have to buy White and Red together but of course there's always the possibility of finding a partner beforehand if you absolutely don't want Red or swapping it away afterwards. Two, Five & Seven has lots of sweet rose - Eternal also features that gorgeous white rose note with some other sweet florals.

Spruce I think and apple blossom? Thankfully no almond!

Have you already tried looking for Knecht? A lot of people used to sell it - there should be some bottles floating around. Haloa and Hearh give me the same *feel* as Knecht - but, of course - they aren't precisely the same - but worth a try :)

Haloa: Wine grapes, myrrh, frankincense and olive leaf, and the warm scent of offertory cakes.

Hearth: Sweet pipe tobacco, cherry wood, the warm, worn leather of an easy chair and a pleasant, subtle waft of fireplace smoke.

Actually, I would also give Bilquis a try too (trying to go through my bottles in my head...hehe):

Honey, myrrh, lily of the valley, rose otto, fig leaf, almond, ambrette, red apple, and warm musk.

I'm having trouble thinking of general catalog equivalents - but maybe some people will have some layering combinations :)

Edited by GirlinDenial

No, actually i haven't tried any of the scents you metnioned -.-'', but i did just take a look at the unity set from, TP, and was wondering if the comingled spices would interfere with the very light "white" scent of the rose? Also for two, five, & seven (which i was looking at recently) i was wondering if the crush of so many different roses would create a stronger, more heady rose scent? (I'm very shy with rose scents becuase alot tend to go very granny-perfum on me..)

I'm wearing No 93 Engine, and I have to say some of the smokiness makes me think of Voodoo Queen. It's a little more metallic than VQ, which is muskier. But I remember that Sapphics had that same musky base, so I would try layering Sapphics and No. 93 Engine.

I love all three, for different reasons, but I am trying to help out those that might have VQ cravings and can't seem to get enough!

OK, got a question here: I enabled my mother, who has promptly fallen in love with Gunpowder, a Halloweenie '08 LE. Its notes--carrot peelings, hay, chaff, molasses, maple oats, red apples, stable wood, and musk--are really quite unusual in the BPAL catalog, and I've been trying unsuccessfully to think of similar scents that she would like from the GC.

Any ideas what GC scents have similarities to Gunpowder? Thanks for your help!

And that's not to say naaelah's comparison to Prospero isn't a good one -

Yes it is! *uncontrollable sobbing*

:lol: I have another "If you like [x], you might like [y]" type of recommendation. I just received my Red/White Rose Unity set, and White Rose really reminds me of Snow Angel.

My Snow Angel was from the sweet, peachy tea batch of the resurrected version. Although not identical, I think they're cousins once removed.

For me, Snow Angel starts out strong on the cotton candy and peach and dries to a lemony jasmine tea. White Rose starts out sort of like vanilla lemon cotton candy and dries to be kind of a coconut white rose tea. Both are sweet, light, white, fuzzy kinds of scents with a twist of lemon.

All recommendations are YMMV, of course. :D Noses and skin vary wildly. Offer not redeemable in stores.

Edited by naeelah

Ice Queen cravings? Or want to know what it smells like?

I'd try the Macabray. Same slushy snow note with hints of white floral. It is missing the berry component.

Much closer match in my mind than Cloister in the Snow.

It may well just be me & my wonky chemistry, but on my skin, Tissue is very close to the unreleased Bleeding Heart. Both have that breezy, clean white floral feel of a very classic perfume... Tissue is a bit sharper, a bit soapy compared to Bleeding Heart, and is missing the green stems & leaves that made BH really stand out, but they're definitely in the same family...

I have Perchta and the bottle is starting to get low. On me it is kind of a snowy pine with flowers in the background. Is there a Salon, Carnival, or GC that I would like?

No, I thought the same, Symmakhia is a peary White Rose minus the coconut. I love both anyway!

I never realised how much Blace lace and O have in common until a very Black Lacey O came in my CT order. i bet something could be done with normal O and some layering.

No, I thought the same, Symmakhia is a peary White Rose minus the coconut. I love both anyway!

so what would happen if we layer Symmakhia with Dia or Obatala? :excl:

Mmm good idea! I have Obatala and I`ll try for sure, thanks!

Mmm good idea! I have Obatala and I`ll try for sure, thanks!

eheheh let us know when you did :P

Anyone else find similarity between ('08 version) Schwarzer Mond and Melainis? I've not tested my Schwarzer recently but Melainis is on my wrist and ringing bells for that pretty hard, particularly during the first hour.

ok, i got an imp of lucifer, and i'm doomed. i adore it. :wub2:

can anyone recommend something that smells like lucifer?

thanks!

~epona

Topic title says it all! I'm looking for a GC that smells similar to THE TELL-TALE HEART.

This is a swollen, pulsating, thudding scent, heavy with dread; a steady, unceasing, throbbing harbinger of retribution and doom: blood musk, cocoa, black pepper, allspice, dragon’s blood resin and vetiver.

Emphasis on the cocoa, black pepper, allspice, and dragon's blood. spice/chocolate/major black pepper = :joy: for tamburlaine!

Help? I've searched the forum and can't find a good rec!

Please PM me if you have any suggestions!

mod note - original thread title: GC/recent LE similar to The Tell-Tale Heart?

Edited by tamburlaine

often when i am reviewing an LE, it reminds me in some way of a GC. it didn't surprise me at all to find that there is already a huge thread for this! i went through my reviews this morning and here are my equivalents. the "*" notes ones that were already named in ivyandpeony's awesome comprehensive list.

*All Souls = Brown Jenkins

*Black Lace = The Antikythera Mechanism

Blood Moon = Mr. Jacquel

*Cerberus = Great Sword of War

The Chilling Cellar = Centzon Totochtin

The Clod and the Pebble = Sri Lanka

Dionysia = Urd

Frederic = Baron Samedi

Giant Vulva = Kill-Devil

Hexennacht ’08 = Yew Trees

The House = Penny Dreadful

The Illustrated Woman = Florence (to me, this is the strongest match of all of them, i can't tell them apart!!)

Jacob’s Ladder = Lyonesse

Krampus = Loviatar

*Marae = Euphrosyne

MVJBA Spring Training 2008 = Gluttony

Opuhi = Sudha Segara

Pirate Moon = Blood Pearl

*The Pit and the Pendulum = Cathedral

Priala the Human Phoenix = Chimera

Saw-Scaled Viper = Vixen

*Smut = Scheherezade

Stranger in Camp = Nocnitsa

*Sugar Skull = Kill-Devil

Tabula Smaragdina = Rose Cross

tinyvulture, wow, your chemistry and mine are almost nothing alike then. :laugh: Except for Tabula Smargdina and Rose Cross, I didn't find many of those to be that similar. (In the sense that they aren't close relatives. Cousins, perhaps.) It's funny how different each scent is to each person, between our skin chemistries and the things our noses can pick up.

tamburlaine, off the top of my head, I can only think think of Love Lies Bleeding. You'd want to layer on something like Wrath or something with vetiver, but it's got the same chocolate and dragon's blood vibe.

Three Gorgons is major black pepper with a hint of vetiver. It has a lot of citrus but citrus tends to evaporate quickly, so it might be a good candidate for layering.

Edited by naeelah

Two amazing realizations happened to me yesterday and today:

First, I absolutely LOVE Smut. I hoard it but am afraid for when it'll actually come back around- plus it smells even better aged.

Anyways my Lab order came in an I got a frimp of Fenris Wolf. Guess what? Fenris Wolf in imp and on skin = Smut like woah. I don't know if the Wolf has to be lab-fresh to smell like it but ohhhh man am I getting a bottle of that in my next order mmmm

Second, I bought a decant of Penumbra from a lovely woman and slathered it on this morning. It was so ironic that I actually laughed- the other day I put on Arachnina (yum darkness) but it was a bit too dark for the sunshiney day so I layered a bit of Blood Garden over it to bring out some fruityness. Penumbra is EXACTLY that combination only in one oil and perfectly blended. It was awesome!

:sigh: oh the new surprises I always get when playing with my BPAL. Beth rules all lol :wub2:

Two amazing realizations happened to me yesterday and today:

First, I absolutely LOVE Smut. I hoard it but am afraid for when it'll actually come back around- plus it smells even better aged.

Anyways my Lab order came in an I got a frimp of Fenris Wolf. Guess what? Fenris Wolf in imp and on skin = Smut like woah. I don't know if the Wolf has to be lab-fresh to smell like it but ohhhh man am I getting a bottle of that in my next order mmmm

I haven't tried Fenris Wolf, but for me, Marianne in CD was a LOT like Smut. Smut with patchouli.