Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Absinthe

Limited editions equivalents in the general catalog?

I see there's a lot of posts here pointing out the similarity between Hymn To Proserpine & Haloa or MB:Underpants, but I'm trying out my imp for the first time and I keep thinking I put on Glowing Vulva this morning.

I was noticing the other day that The Robotic Scarab smells a lot like the Yule LE, Le Père Fouettard. It may be an understated version of the latter, but The Robotic Scarab gives off the same leathery anise scent that Le Père Fouettard does, except the anise doesn't amp up too much.

The Robotic Scarab has less sweetness, but that is ok with me too. It kinda goes on like a men's perfume, where Le Père Fouettard crashes into my skin as if a truck full of licorice whips just beat me senseless. It's subtle, but I do believe the two could be kissing cousins or sniffing cousins, for that matter.

If you love Le Père Fouettard, it might be worth picking up an imp of The Robotic Scarab to compare and contrast.

I'm pale with dry skin, FYI. I just read on the Internet that skin tone and oily/dryness of skin affects perfume notes. My dry skin eats oil. Good to know. It lasts with a little bit of lotion before putting on the perfume, to, I guess, lube my pulse points. :)

Edited by Madame Nyx

I need a bottle of Dead Man's Hand. Unfortunately, that is a near impossibility. The only similar scent I've seen recommended thus far is Geburah, but at this point, that seems like it will be even harder to find. So, is there anything else that's close? I don't even care if it's GC, a somewhat less rare LE or DC would be fine as well.

I'm not sure if this is the right place to put this so feel free to move it if needed.

Love Spooky? Layer Sugar Cookie (mine is 05), Tokyo Stomp & Grog. I like it better than Spooky.

LE to LE: Velvet Clown, when wet, reminds me a lot of Diary of a Lovestruck Teenage Cannibal.

It settles into something much smokier, though, and then it reminds me a lot of Dia de los Muertos. (Someone also compared it to La Pere Fouettard.)

I was noticing the other day that The Robotic Scarab smells a lot like the Yule LE, Le Père Fouettard. It may be an understated version of the latter, but The Robotic Scarab gives off the same leathery anise scent that Le Père Fouettard does, except the anise doesn't amp up too much.

The Robotic Scarab has less sweetness, but that is ok with me too. It kinda goes on like a men's perfume, where Le Père Fouettard crashes into my skin as if a truck full of licorice whips just beat me senseless. It's subtle, but I do believe the two could be kissing cousins or sniffing cousins, for that matter.

If you love Le Père Fouettard, it might be worth picking up an imp of The Robotic Scarab to compare and contrast.

Huh. I never would've thought. i guess I should try Robotic Scarab.

Many of you are comparing Antikhyra Mechanism to Glowing Vulva. On me, AM is a little too dark, but Hand of Glory is really close. It's not quite as complex and *glowing*, but they share a soft vanilla wood. Lovely! (Ok, so it's an LE - but it's still available).

Many of you are comparing Antikhyra Mechanism to Glowing Vulva. On me, AM is a little too dark, but Hand of Glory is really close. It's not quite as complex and *glowing*, but they share a soft vanilla wood. Lovely! (Ok, so it's an LE - but it's still available).

Hmm, that's interesting. For me, it's the other way around, so I guess for once my skin is working with the majority. AM is very similar to GV but without the glowing amber. Fairy light and smooth. Hand of Glory is a totally different animal -- very deep, dark, gritty, and smoky. (I'm trying to think of a good DCLE point of comparison and I can't think of anything. It's a cousin to Hanerot Halalu but not an exact match...)

GCs for Rares:

Faith - Violet Ray

Bony Moon - Kathmandu

Orange Phoenix - Moxie

Dia - Black Pearl

Pothon Meter - Pepper

Rares for Less Rares:

A Bachelor's Dog - Ashlutum

Gypsy Queen - The Masque

Honey Moon - Flower Moon 2009

Medb v4 - Garden Path with Chickens, The Host of the Air

Horn of Amalthea - Milk Moon 2007

Iron Phoenix - Torture Queen

Vasakasajja - Maud Ruthyn

La Primavera - Philommeides

The red musk + cassia + fruit combination of The Dodo reminds me very much of Red Phoenix, but with mango instead of plum.

They dry down differently on me though.. Red Phoenix is very musky but The Dodo becomes more woody.

I think that folks who like Bezoar should also be sure to try Oblivion. They're not exactly the same, but even in a direct side-by-side comparison (well, arm-by-arm :) ), once they each have a chance to settle down, they have a vibe that is extremely similar, with Bezoar more calm and perhaps musty, and Oblivion spicier and a bit sharper.

eta: by settling down, I mean maybe a half-hour or hour after applying.

Edited by sqwook

Just trying Inez again, and I think that those who are in love with Inez might try Death & Life Completed from the Salon. They're TOTALLY different when they're wet (say, for the first half-hour or so), nothing alike. But when they're dry - yum. Both are just gorgeous - resiny, delicious, warm. Inez is even warmer/spicier/softer, whereas Death & Life Completed has a slight tinge of floral to it.

I know this is a long shot, but has anyone found anything similar to Lamia? GC, LE, other brand, I do not care I AM DESPERATE PEOPLE.

I know this is a long shot, but has anyone found anything similar to Lamia? GC, LE, other brand, I do not care I AM DESPERATE PEOPLE.

To my nose, Lamia shares some common elements with aged Lion, aged Bengal, and, to a certain extent, Bezoar. (Leaving out Three Witches because really, you don't need to swap one futile search for another :lol: ) I seem to get a lot more of the dry wood & incense than most of the other testers, so for my own use, I'd layer aged Bengal or Lion with a bit of Cathedral, or Midnight Mass, or maybe Black Forest, with just a dot of Bezoar for the cardamon note.

I have all these on hand, so I'll give it a test drive tomorrow & edit with my findings...

ETA: OK, I don't have as many of these as I thought :blush: But I can say that aged Lion + Bezoar is exceptionally tasty, and very, very close to Lamia's opening throes. Midnight Mass is too heavy on the frankincense to work for the wood/smoke element - really wishing I hadn't swapped away Black Forest & Bengal, because I think they might be the keys. A dot of Smiling Spider would be helpful, too, to bring out the clove...

Edited by tartchef

To me Lamia is a spicier version of Sin.

Just so y'all know---I understand it's more like "ultra rare for less rare past LE," but on me, the drydowns of Queen of Clubs and Haunted Palace are shockingly similar. I think if I layered HP with some Graveyard Dirt (or Zombi might work really well too), it'd be nearly perfect.

Of course, you have to like blood orange and red musk. So there's that. Just my $0.02 :lol:

I'm looking for something that smells like Hessian of the Hollows. On me it's mostly sandalwood and vetiver, with just a hint of smoke. I'd really appreciate any suggestions.

Can anyone recommend anything close to Treat 1? I'm desperate for an equivalent? :cry2:

I tried searching this thread and didn't find an answer.

Anyone know anything really close to Ichabod Crane? Anubis has a similar quality, but it's just not quite there.

Anyone know anything really close to Ichabod Crane? Anubis has a similar quality, but it's just not quite there.

Have you tried White Rabbit?

White Rabbit
(Mad Tea Party) - Strong black tea and milk with white pepper, ginger, honey and vanilla, spilled over the crisp scent of clean linen.

The opening stages are different on me (White Rabbit is sweeter initially, Ichabod is more floral/lily), but the dry-down is nearly identical. For a slightly different but still similar vibe, you might give The Sea Foams Milk a whirl:

The Sea Foams Milk
(Marchen) - Milk cresting on an ocean wave.

It's less sweet and more clean than White Rabbit or Ichabod Crane, and it lacks their spiciness, but the milk note is a common thread that gives them a similar feel.

Have you tried White Rabbit?

White Rabbit
(Mad Tea Party) - Strong black tea and milk with white pepper, ginger, honey and vanilla, spilled over the crisp scent of clean linen.

The opening stages are different on me (White Rabbit is sweeter initially, Ichabod is more floral/lily), but the dry-down is nearly identical. For a slightly different but still similar vibe, you might give The Sea Foams Milk a whirl:

The Sea Foams Milk
(Marchen) - Milk cresting on an ocean wave.

It's less sweet and more clean than White Rabbit or Ichabod Crane, and it lacks their spiciness, but the milk note is a common thread that gives them a similar feel.

I have tried White Rabbit, and sometimes it smelled like laundry and sometimes much worse, unfortunately. I mean-- tea, milk, pepper, ginger instead of lily, honey instead of beeswax, and linen instead of wool? It should have been perfect, but it was evil. Alas.

I think I'll look into The Sea Foams Milk, though. I wouldn't have thought of that one.

Thank you for the suggestions!

I've noticed that Coral Snake has been mentioned here as an alternative to Punkie Night, and I thought I'd add in that Poisoned Apple is very similar to Coral Snake, in case it ends up becoming hard to come by when the carnival leaves!

There's nothing *really* close on its own. You'll definitely have to layer. The wool note is the tricky part because that's a big part of what gives the blend a slightly eccentric, homey quality.

I haven't tried it myself, but it seems like a combo of La Mort Qui Danse and Hanerot Halalu might work well. (Or anyone who has Democrat, that might do better than HH.) That covers the lily, spice, and beeswax. I'm not sure what to suggest for the creamy tea other than a dab of White Rabbit, which in small doses might do the trick [i noticed you said it smelled bad on its own]. Or you could try Alice.

Some other ideas for stuff to experiment with: Queen Alice, Marcilla, Grandmother of Ghosts.

Edited by naeelah

Can anyone recommend anything close to Treat 1? I'm desperate for an equivalent? :cry2:

I tried searching this thread and didn't find an answer.

Sticky Pillowcase was very similar to Treat #1 on me. Should be somewhat easier to find!

Edited by chaismolokom