Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Absinthe

Limited editions equivalents in the general catalog?

I got an imp of Aglaea today and noticed that it is similar to Philommeides. They both have a peach wine note. Anyone else notice this?

I've really wanting to try Ecstasy of Infatuation -- it sounds so divine. I'm looking for something similar in the GC because I'm looking at the ebay auction right now and the price just keeps going up and up and up. :( Any suggestions?

I received a frimp of Fenris Wolf recently. I expected it to be a complete fail, red musk is rarely something I can pull off. What an unexpected surprise! Fenris is nearly identical to Sunbird on my skin. It goes on with a giant blast of red musk, but quickly warms up as it dries to the same dry, hot, spicy sandalwood that's in Sunbird. :wub:

Fenris is missing the golden, spicy sweetness in Sunbird. My first thought was to layer Fenris with The Lion. But The Lion is too sharp and sour, even on it's own. Maybe Bezoar, or Sri Lanka? Anyone want to throw some (preferably GC) layering suggestions my way?

ETA: Ooh, I just thought of Chimera, or maybe Pickled Imp. I'll report back on those.

ETA: Chimera + Fenris = yum, but it's sweeter than Sunbird. Pickled Imp was fail.

Edited by craftymonster

Fenris is missing the golden, spicy sweetness in Sunbird. My first thought was to layer Fenris with The Lion. But The Lion is too sharp and sour, even on it's own. Maybe Bezoar, or Sri Lanka? Anyone want to throw some (preferably GC) layering suggestions my way?

How about Anubis?

How about Anubis?

That sounds like it could be exactly what I'm looking for. Thanks! :D

Edited by craftymonster

For those sad that Fruitcake wasn't in bottle form, on my skin Feeding the Dead has the exact same cake smell. All you need is something for the cherry scent and you're set. (maybe Suck it w/ Feeding the Dead?)

Pomona is so similar to The Tree of Knowledge of Good and Evil. The apple top note is different in Pomona but dries down very quickly into a doppelganger of The Tree.

I was wondering if anyone found similarities between The Girl and any GC scents. The Girl is probably my favorite BPAL scent that I have come across and I am trying to pin down the note in it that makes me love it so much. On me, it is not floral at all - more of a vanilla muskiness to it.

Those of you who pine after Jingo-Kogo should nab a bottle of Lilith vs. the Giant Crab. It's very, very similar -- Giant Crab is slightly more orange-y.

Well an extremely generous forumite shared with me a small amount of her precious Chrysanthemum Moon. Now I know what all the fuss is about so I have to report this. On me, Dragons Musk layered over The Reaper & The Flowers is a very, very similar scent. The only note that's missing is the red ginger.

But otherwise I get a slightly greener Chrysanthemum Moon. I do have to say that Dragons Blood goes fresh floral on me, and Dragon's Musk is a very creamy spice scent on my skin. So maybe another red musk blend would behave similarly on others. But the Reaper & The Flowers certainly has a similar floral bouquet to Chrysanthemum Moon. I have to have a light touch with the Reaper because it's much stronger on me than Dragon's Musk but when the balance is right they have a satisfying similarity.

Edited by HamletsKeeper

Omen smells very much like Minotaur to me:

Omen...."Deep, mysterious, and full of dark portents: oakmoss, juniper berry, myrrh and patchouli".

Minotaur...."A deep, swarthy black musk dusted by a dark, resinous blend of sacred bisabol myrrh, atramentous benzoin, tsori, balsam, and galbanum".

Omen is darker and huskier (probably more 'masculine', too), and Minotaur is more refined, sweeter, and slightly powdery. However, if you have been searching for a Minotaur substitute, you may find a resemblance like I did.

Snow Glass Apples is not much better than The Hesperides. Actually to me all apple blends fall into two categories: fresh apple = Hesterides is always nicer. Spicy apple = Ladon is always nicer.

(May have been mentioned before but it's not on Ivyandpeony's list, so...)

On my skin, Eos is very close to Tamamo-No-Mae. A bit sweeter and creamier, but the drydown is really similar to T-N-M. Besides, Eos is a gorgeous GC that deserves more love! :P

hi gize:) this thread popped up in a milk moon search so i'm assuming it's been discussed, but i only looked through ten or so pages of this 48 page thread :lol:

are there any gcs that mimic milk moon? i want that creamy sweet fruitiness in something that's a little easier to come by. tried searching the notes at the actual catalogue's search engine... but all these things pop up that don't contain ANY of those notes. i must be doing something wrong.

hi gize:) this thread popped up in a milk moon search so i'm assuming it's been discussed, but i only looked through ten or so pages of this 48 page thread :lol:

are there any gcs that mimic milk moon? i want that creamy sweet fruitiness in something that's a little easier to come by. tried searching the notes at the actual catalogue's search engine... but all these things pop up that don't contain ANY of those notes. i must be doing something wrong.

I can't help you with your search, as I haven't tried Milk Moon, but I thought I'd point you in the direction of how to search within this thread. Right above the first post on each page is an entry box with a "search topic" button beside it. I entered Milk Moon and got quite a few posts with comparisons. hth, and good luck! :)

thank you! i am slightly technologically challenged :huh?:

I can't help you with your search, as I haven't tried Milk Moon, but I thought I'd point you in the direction of how to search within this thread. Right above the first post on each page is an entry box with a "search topic" button beside it. I entered Milk Moon and got quite a few posts with comparisons. hth, and good luck! :)

Obtala is the closest one I've found in the GC. I also think that Nonae Caprotina and Ichabod Crane are close, but those are LE's, so maybe harder to find.

a bit OT: bonny, remember to stalk ebay as well, I just today won a '07 Milk Moon, full to shoulder, for $15.50! (but my max bid was $35 lol)

I second Obatala. Drink me maybe?

I love Candy Butcher, which I did not discover until long after it had gone out of stock. Fortunately, I found that Snow White has a note that appears to be in common. I've seen speculation that it is a lily musk or vanilla musk, or perhaps some cream note that they have in common. If you know the note I mean, please, please, point me in the direction of other perfumes that share this note! It is my holy grail of scents.

Thanks!

I love Candy Butcher, which I did not discover until long after it had gone out of stock. Fortunately, I found that Snow White has a note that appears to be in common. I've seen speculation that it is a lily musk or vanilla musk, or perhaps some cream note that they have in common. If you know the note I mean, please, please, point me in the direction of other perfumes that share this note! It is my holy grail of scents.

Thanks!

I don't know why I didn't make this association before now - I love Candy Butcher (as you know :)).. and also Snow White - but I've only tried the 2005 version of that and I believe other years have different note combos.

So on the surface, they appear to have nothing in common - "dark chocolate with a heavy cream undertone" vs "virgin snow, crisp winter wind and the faintest breath of night-blooming flowers". But you're right - they are similar.. however I think the similarity is more a sensory than olfactory thing. Having said that - I know many people report a floral tinge to Candy Butcher, which personally I don't get but I can see how others might.

Anyways, you've got me thinking.. I'm going to see if I can think of any other blends with a similar vibe to these two. Uhmm.. just off the top of my head - Antique Lace, maybe? If I come up with anything, I'll report back, but I'll be very interested to see if anyone else has ideas!!