Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Absinthe

Limited editions equivalents in the general catalog?

I have a question about scent equivalents to Black Lace. The Antikythera Mechanism seems close but it doesn't have the vanilla note on me that Black Lace does. Do you guys think layering a sn vanilla note would make it even more similar? I can see spending a ton of money on a bottle of Black Lace if I can make a close match.

Edited by gothicangel18

I have a question about scent equivalents to Black Lace. The Antikythera Mechanism seems close but it doesn't have the vanilla note on me that Black Lace does. Do you guys think layering a sn vanilla note would make it even more similar? I can see spending a ton of money on a bottle of Black Lace if I can make a close match.

I don't know, but am very interested in the answer.

I've just tested The Sea Foams Blood. On the dry down it's rather like a less complex The Phoenix, though it takes an hour or so to settle that way.

I think that The Day of the Skulls smells very similar to Kostnice, slightly more floral, but if you miss Kostnice, definnitely check it out. :P

Huesos de Santo smells soooo good for an hour, till the orange cake fades enough to let the anise through.

Then about four hours in I like it again after the anise leaves.

That's three hours of anise, which somehow doesn't smell all that great on me, though I like it in food. This scent would be so perfect, if only the anise were not there, or something else, like coriander? I can always use another coriander scent.

Anyhow, I was hoping that those who have tried the scents that I have not gotten to might be able to point me to a scent that was like Huesos de Santo, but, without that one thing that made me hesitate and not buy a bottle.

Failing that, maybe I could find more coriander scents beyond Crawdad and Tristan. =)

I’m not sure if you’ve tried them already, but…

Eat Me is cakey with a twist of citrus, but it’s mostly currant and a more creamy cake... at least on my skin.

All Souls is another cake one, but that one’s still more like Eat Me.

Speaking of Inez, I find she's similar on my skin to Oblivion, minus the sharp note Oblivion ends with. Inez smells edible to me, but Oblivion seems to have the spice of Inez with a touch of something bitter.

Huesos de Santo smells soooo good for an hour, till the orange cake fades enough to let the anise through.

Then about four hours in I like it again after the anise leaves.

I had the same problem with Huesos de Santos - and I just don't care for anise in my perfume. The closest thing I have tried so far is Cheshire Moon (which of course, is an LE from earlier this year - but it does turn up in swaps every now and then). Cheshire Moon is a delicious citrus cake on me.

I take back what I said before about Antikythera Mechanism not being enough like Glowing Vulva. AM is made of win! When it sinks into my skin it smells the same, exactly the same! I guess when I smelled it before it was a different batch, or too fresh, or I tried too little a dab? The masculine note disapears on my skin now.

:P Thank goodness, because GV is just too hard to find!

I’m new to BPal and I was given an imp of The Spell of Amorous Love, well after I fell in love with the scent I realized that it was out of production. Does anyone have recommendations for scents that I can buy now that have similar notes?

THE SPELL OF AMOROUS LOVE

Red currant, plum flowers, sake, green tea, and cherry blossom.

For anyone pining for L'Inverno, I find that Snow Moon is a close sister to it. Although Snow Moon is awfully hard to find these days, too.

I have compiled a list of LE equivalents/substitutes/similarities based on member posts after reading through the entire LE equivalents thread. Yep, all 4+ years of discussion condensed here.

That is AMAZING!! Thank you so much - that's great! (Though I do have to laugh at how some of the comparisons totally don't work on my skin - just more evidence of how different skin chemistry is!)

I`d love to have another blend with the same or a similar mandarin note of Lady Lilith. Is Carnal near to it? I love the freshness of the wet stage of the blend.

I didn't get very much mandarin from Lady Lilith, but I think that note is pretty similar to the mandarin in Carnal. Keep in mind, though, that Carnal smells nothing like Lady Lilith otherwise, because LL is so floral. But if you're really only looking for the mandarin, Carnal has it. If you don't like fig, though, you won't like Carnal. Me, I love Carnal, because it smells like a very expensive Christmas-time jam - the fig provides a lovely rich grounding for the bright mandarin. I do think though that the mandarin fades over time - my bottle is still lovely, but I think it's turning into more fig than mandarin (so if you want some for the mandarin, you might prefer to order fresh from the lab).

Thanks, I have Carnal in my wishlist for ages and I didn`t tried yet. Now I have a good excuse.

I feel I should post here, since I am currently obsessed with Voodoo Queen.

The Lupercalia LE, Sapphics, is like a base sketch for Voodoo Queen. It lacks some of the complexity of VQ, and the hint of rum, but it gives you a pretty good idea of what VQ smells like.

That, and it's easier to find that VQ.

The Lupercalia LE, Sapphics, is like a base sketch for Voodoo Queen. It lacks some of the complexity of VQ, and the hint of rum, but it gives you a pretty good idea of what VQ smells like.

I agree with ZZ on this, and I would never have known had not a kind forumite sent me a sniffie of Voodoo Queen not too long before the Lupercalia was released. :P

I agree with ZZ on this, and I would never have known had not a kind forumite sent me a sniffie of Voodoo Queen not too long before the Lupercalia was released. :P

Oh good, so I'm not crazy, nor is it simply a matter about my skin chemistry acting this way.

Uh oh, now I am lemming Sapphics! :/

does anyone think anything in the GC smells like Mictecacihuatl? I am excited to go hunting for a new rose blend because I do love how Elizabeth can use rose in soooo many many interesting ways but I will run out before the year is over and what if i get homesick?

Is there anything in the GC that is similar to I Fell in Love With a Floating Brain? Brain smells like pink bubblegum to me. Aunt Caroline's Joy Mojo maybe? I like it and I'm trying to decide if I need a "back-up" bottle.

ACJM is definitely the go-to GC bubblegum scent. Another (not GC but a long-term LE) that smells a lot like bubblegum to me is Xanthe, the Weeping Clown.

I haven't yet smelled Floating Brain, though, so I can't say whether they are actually similar to it. I don't think either contains strawberry, so if it's a strawberry bubblegum that you're getting, you might have to layer with a GC strawberry scent like Bon Vivant or Hollywood Babylon to get a similar effect.

Is there anything in the GC that is similar to I Fell in Love With a Floating Brain? Brain smells like pink bubblegum to me. Aunt Caroline's Joy Mojo maybe? I like it and I'm trying to decide if I need a "back-up" bottle.

Tweedledee is closer, IMO to bubblegum. You'd need a strawberry note, a currant note, and a powdered sugar note too. Aunt Caroline's Joy Mojo may work too, though. I love ACJM in general :P

does anyone think anything in the GC smells like Mictecacihuatl? I am excited to go hunting for a new rose blend because I do love how Elizabeth can use rose in soooo many many interesting ways but I will run out before the year is over and what if i get homesick?

Possibly the GC scent that starts with an X that I can never remember how to spell......Xiuhecatulti or something.....except I don't think that has rose. That is about the only thing I can think of that comes close. Any other opinions?

Another (not GC but a long-term LE) that smells a lot like bubblegum to me is Xanthe, the Weeping Clown.

I love Xanthe, even though it goes salty on me after a couple hours. It's like tropical-fruit gum. I don't know if I necessarily get strawberry from Floating Brain, just... "pink", heh.

Tweedledee is closer, IMO to bubblegum.

Oh yay, I'm expecting an imp of that soon. (Love your icon!)

Another (not GC but a long-term LE) that smells a lot like bubblegum to me is Xanthe, the Weeping Clown.

I love Xanthe, even though it goes salty on me after a couple hours. It's like tropical-fruit gum. I don't know if I necessarily get strawberry from Floating Brain, just... "pink", heh.

Um... what about The Blockhead? Isn't it pink bubblegum and rusty nails? I know rusty nails sounds scary, but my (potentially atypical) experience is that metallic notes tend to be light...