Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Absinthe

Limited editions equivalents in the general catalog?

I apparently have some funny skin chemistry but I find Stimulating Sassafras Strengthener to be identical to Black Lace. Notes are completely different and they smell the same.

Another (not GC but a long-term LE) that smells a lot like bubblegum to me is Xanthe, the Weeping Clown.

I love Xanthe, even though it goes salty on me after a couple hours. It's like tropical-fruit gum. I don't know if I necessarily get strawberry from Floating Brain, just... "pink", heh.

Um... what about The Blockhead? Isn't it pink bubblegum and rusty nails? I know rusty nails sounds scary, but my (potentially atypical) experience is that metallic notes tend to be light...

On my skin, Blockhead was all pink bubblegum while wet, but on the drydown it was very faint and I got a slight tang but mostly leather.

On my skin, Blockhead was all pink bubblegum while wet, but on the drydown it was very faint and I got a slight tang but mostly leather.

Oh yeah, only the very first of Blockhead is bubblegum, then it goes very masculine. Heavy leather. Appropriate, but not a light fluffy scent.

Tweedledee is closer, IMO to bubblegum.

Oh yay, I'm expecting an imp of that soon. (Love your icon!)

Thanks :D It was the first thing I thought of, when I first heard the name "Floating Brain." :P

Edited by Tempest

Testing Love's Torments and it reminds me more than a little of The Cracked Bell.

They probably wouldn't smell similar in a side-by-side test, but I get a very similar feeling from LT somehow.

Smoky and dark, yet cool, and (for whatever reason) even a bit metallic.

They certainly have their differences as well, but I was struck by something similar between The Piper at the Gates of Dawn and The Illustrated Woman. They do have some notes in common: pine, patchouli, amber/resins, honey; although they contain different types of musk, I think the musk in Piper is very soft and not drastically different from the skin musk and white musk families.

Anyway, those who really liked one and haven't tried the other might want to add to their wishlists, those who tried one and didn't like it might find the other works for them. (Of course, if it was the pine, patchouli, resins, honey or musk that did you wrong, you might be out of luck. :P )

This might not be in the right place... but I couldn't think of anywhere else to put it. :D

So, I got an imp of Prospero with an order from a fellow forum-er and I've discovered that I LOVE it but alas, there is no way I can get it, since I live on the east coast. :D (And I don't even know if they're still selling the Dark Delicacies, or it's an every once in a while thing, or what)

Is there anything that anyone has discovered that smells similar to it. I can try to describe it if it would help, but I don't think I'm terribly good at describing what I smell... :P

I realise that Mme is a bit off on my skin as 'tis (6 months of aging and she still has a medicinal scent, which is depressing) but I'm finding my Crowley decant startlingly similar to how she smells on me MINUS that medicinal smell. *grin*

I know this has been discussed before (and I'm late to the party) but I got a chance to try Storyville today and I was shocked both at how good it is and also by how much it smells like another BPAL. The problem is ... what is it? I've browsed the thread and I honestly don't think it smells like Smut (which is all Bounce dryer sheet to me) and Shub is a little too spicy. Then I thought maybe it's Hod or Hellhound ... but those have too much clove! What is it? Its like a nice vanilla musk ... it's driving me crazy!

HELP! :P

Edited by biz4brent

I know this has been discussed before (and I'm late to the party) but I got a chance to try Storyville today and I was shocked both at how good it is and also by how much it smells like another BPAL. The problem is ... what is it? I've browsed the thread and I honestly don't think it smells like Smut (which is all Bounce dryer sheet to me) and Shub is a little too spicy. Then I thought maybe it's Hod or Hellhound ... but those have too much clove! What is it? Its like a nice vanilla musk ... it's driving me crazy!

I find Inez to be close to Storyville, same vibe anyways.

First of all, many thanks to the lovely ivyandpeony for the labor of love of compiling all the recs from this thread in list form.

ivyandpeony = :P

I recently got my order including a few Marchen bottles (mostly the ones named after female characters) and was struck by the similarity between The Miller's Daughter and Hay Moon. They are so similar that I need to decide which one I like most and get rid of the other! The Miller's Daughter has a slightly more feminine feel but, if you are missing Hay Moon, this is the one to get.

I find Inez to be close to Storyville, same vibe anyways.

I got to thinking it might be Inez ... but haven't pulled out my imp to test it yet! Thanks much!

First of all, many thanks to the lovely ivyandpeony for the labor of love of compiling all the recs from this thread in list form.

ivyandpeony = :P

I recently got my order including a few Marchen bottles (mostly the ones named after female characters) and was struck by the similarity between The Miller's Daughter and Hay Moon. They are so similar that I need to decide which one I like most and get rid of the other! The Miller's Daughter has a slightly more feminine feel but, if you are missing Hay Moon, this is the one to get.

oh, thank you for this! I love Hay Moon, and will get Miller's Daughter as a daytime alternative...

Any recs for any GC scent that is similar to The Illustrated Woman ... minus the pine note?

O is almost identical to the Illustrated Woman, on me (minus the screaming candied pine death).

On me, Antikythera Mechanism is very similar to Illustrated Woman, sans pine pitch.

Are there any GCs like Geek? My Geek bottle is getting very low (just a few applications left) and finding a bottle is basically impossible these days.

Was it Devil's Night? I find storyville to share some similarities with that one...

Was it Devil's Night? I find storyville to share some similarities with that one...

Oooh, I just thought of another that reminded me of Storyville--Wezwanie/Hold, perhaps?

I think that Lines Written Among the Euganean Hills smells a lot like the L'Inverno perfume oil, although I only tried L'Inverno once, briefly.

On my skin (and to my nose) there is a mint note in Lines that disappears eventually that isn't there in L'Inverno at all. The mint note in Lines, however, is more than my stomach can handle -- unfortunately. I'm glad I was able to acquire a bottle of L'Inverno, though!

Oooh, I just thought of another that reminded me of Storyville--Wezwanie/Hold, perhaps?

Wezwanie/Hold and Devil's Night are the ones that remind me most of Storyville. Smut does to an extent, but it's more like Smut reminds me of Devil's Night which reminds me of Storyville :D Smut is on the far end of the musky scale and sometimes it's too musky for me!

Wezwanie/Hold and Devil's Night are the ones that remind me most of Storyville. Smut does to an extent, but it's more like Smut reminds me of Devil's Night which reminds me of Storyville :D Smut is on the far end of the musky scale and sometimes it's too musky for me!

I haven't smelled Wezwanie / Hold yet but Devil's Night is pretty close ...

Edited by biz4brent

Does anyone know if there is a GC BPAL blend that smells sort of similar to L'Estate from the BPTP summer inquisition? i absolutely love that blend, but I only have one bottle...

So, is there a GC cousin of L'Estate? *hopes*