Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
zankoku_zen

Famous Kabuki Actors in Imagined Scenes of Lovemaking

Goat’s milk, honey dust, vanilla husk, oak bark, cardamom pod, tobacco leaf, cedarwood, and vetiver.

Mm! tobacco and honey and vanilla with a woodsy base. Better blended than that makes it sound, probably: it's a really smooth, rich scent, an almost gourmand sort of honeyed tobacco/wood. I don't get on well with the lab's honey scent usually but the honey dust is a delight here.

This is soooooo interesting. It smells like cigarette-drenched Goat's Milk. I also detect the cedarwood, the honey and the tobacco and I think the oak bark too. I definitely keep going back to whiff it more. I don't smell the cardamom yet, but this is a really complex scent and while it leans gourmand, I can see it working for those who don't like GOURMANDs !!11!!1 None of the notes dominate - the blending is stellar.

In the bottle: Spicy shampoo and dry wood. 

Wet on my skin: This is fairly shampoo-like for the first few minutes, for some strange reason. Like, expensive herbal shampoo though, not cheap Suave or something. It quickly morphs into something sensual, sweet, and boozy. 

Dry: I think my skin might be weird tonight, because this smells like a close cousin to Perversion and Pleasures of the Imagination III, despite only sharing a couple of notes with either. Apparently, something in this combines to smell like sweet booze on me - honey and something, because it's fairly mead-like. It's a lot sweeter and, well, boozier than I thought it would be, and while I can pick out the honey, vanilla, goat's milk, and tobacco, the darker/heavier notes are kinda just supporting them in the background at this point. I think that wood/vetiver/cardamom combination is going leathery on me, which, when combined with the spicy, boozy top notes, would explain why it smells oddly related to Perversion and Pleasures III. Not quite what I was expecting, but not bad at all! Hopefully that vetiver and tobacco come out a little more as this ages, but I'm happy with it now as well. 

This is VERY foodie. 

but the blend is amazing

it's on the sweet side

on me possibly heavy on vanilla, cardamom, and...cedar?

Strong throw - a little dab goes a loooong way

This reminds me very much of Shadwell (Roll-ups, mildewed raincoat, sweet tea, and condensed milk.) minus the mildew note. If the cardamom moves forward upon wear, it might differentiate them more for my nose, but I am getting the same sweet milk and tobacco combo that I love in Shadwell, with the addition of the cedar. This blend is bolder than Shadwell, however, due to the amplifying of the notes with the addition of honey and vanilla but still much more wearable as the mildew note in Shadwell (which I adore) is an amazing atmospheric but could prove a deal breaker for wearing in office settings. I think the condensed milk in Shadwell *is* sweet, and again, where these blends are similar on my skin, but something is thicker, bolder, more *everything* here. If Shadwell’s mildew note is what put you off that blend, definitely try this. And if you find this blend a bit too thick and rich, consider testing Shadwell if you happen upon an imp. 

Edited by Missanneshirleyofgg

Oh, this trots out quite a few notes at once.

Goat's milk and honey dust lead the first impression on me, but at the back of the inhale lurk cardamom, vetiver, vanilla, and oak. Famous Kabuki Actors both charms and fascinates.

Surprisingly, when the blend dries it becomes mainly goat's milk and honey dust, with a hint of complex woody tobacco. I don't really find the other notes anymore, so I'll see if this one adjusts with more rest, or if my skin will keep eating things.

Definitely foodie. I immediately get a whiff vanilla and honey. But as it stays on my skin, a very nice blend of honey, smokiness, dustiness, and wood. It's a cozy and warm scent for me! Originally, it made me think of a small quaint, old-school sweets shop in a forest in Japan or something. But I think Missannshirleyofgg nailed it with condensed milk! I was immediately reminded of Chinese deep-fried steamed buns, eaten with a saucer of condensed milk (which is delicious by the way). It's a lot like that, but with honey and smoky wood.

I wasn't expecting to like this that much, but I do. I didn't let it rest before trying it out though, so I may come back and edit this post later. 

Dusty cardamom, honey, vanilla, and tobacco. Actually, this smells like it should be at home in the Wild West, and not the Shungas. Or maybe its a Japanese interpretation of a Annie Oakley or Calamity Jane? It's got that sort of rough and tumble overlay. Great throw and wear length.

FIRST: Very milky. Spiced cakes. Very foodie. Is this a secret Yule? Heavy cardamom.

THEN: Curry and holiday candle

DRY: Not much change. It starts to calm down and the tobacco is coming through more. Still can't shake the curry candle.

This was a fail on me. Quite all right, plenty of other Shungas in the sea.

I was interested in Famous Kabuki Actors because of the mix of the goat's milk and honey notes with the masculine woods, tobacco and vetiver.  My skin didn't really allow me that experience.  It started out all the former, in the vein of Harlequin Milk or Jupiter Nourished, and it stayed foodie for a long time.  The darker notes didn't appear until late drydown, by which time the goat's milk was gone, so they just shared the honey.  It's nice but more gourmand and less masculine than expected. 

at first i get goat's milk and honey dust (which in another perfume was nutty and toasty on me and it's the same here.) after a few more minutes i get some woods, cardamom and tobacco which seem to amp up the weird toasted note on me. overall this is just too foody and nutty for my personal tastes. 

this one's pretty great actually? sweet, bourbon vanilla, hay. i like it but i never seem to grab it to wear. i'll hold on to it & see how it goes over time though!

I was hoping for spicy sweet wood, but I'm not mad that I got powdery milk & honey & dry nuttiness. Sweet & foody & dry.

Woah, there's a lot going on here!

Out of the bottle I smell a honeyed dessert of some sort, with hints of the milk, the vanilla, and the cardamom. I smell yummy :P

On my skin it becomes weaponized as it becomes sharper and sweeter. It's a bit too much for me! Others have mentioned bourbon as a note and I definitely see where they are coming from.

As I read through the notes list, I feel as though I can put my finger on nearly everything listed, which is pretty neat. (Except maybe oak bark? I'm not getting a lot of earthiness.)

Cedar quite hit or miss with me, and I'm beginning to think that perhaps vetiver and I do not especially go well together...

Foodie scents are definitely growing on me however! I'm looking forward to trying more. My partner doesn't especially like this on me either, so, it was fun, but, onward!

I cobbled together 2mls of this because the honey and goat's milk made me too nervous to blind bottle. I'm usually ☠ abt foodie blends but this intrigued me so...turns out I like Shunga foodie scents just fine, haha!

This starts with a sweet bloom of golden, dusty honey pollen pinned down and smoothed out by goat's milk, wow!!! Right there underneath is a swirl of cedarwood and tobacco leaf and all the other notes I can't specifically identify but know are there. The cedarwood and tobacco leaf really ground this, pulling down the airy but somehow!! somehow!! creamy yet dusty sweetness to make it earthier, more like a place than a perfume. Like sitting on freshly hewn cedar benches in a theater, tobacco smoke, sweet treats and the scent of beeswax candles thick in the air.

Despite usually not really enjoying foodie scents, I like this one a lot. Gonna stash it away for autumn proper, :yum:

Hopefully I'll be able to find another imp or two to add to my bottle, lol. 

Wet, this somehow gives me the impression of honeyed lettuce? I get the crispness of a fresh piece of romaine, it's weird. Thankfully, this goes away as the scent dries down. I'm left with a powdery, sweet creamy wood scent. I think the vetiver is a bit grassy or something, which might be what gives me the lettuce feeling. I do still detect a grassy note in here but it's more like a pot of decorative grasses on an ornate wooden table instead of lettuce. I'm happy I got to try it but the lettuce makes me wary so I don't think I will seek out a full size.