Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
zankoku_zen

στοργή (Storge)

This is kind of like Snake Oil and Blue Blankie had a baby.

In the bottle, and initially applied on me, it is mostly Snake Oil and lavender accompanied by honeyed rosewater. I get zero cotton candy from this, but honestly, I wasn't really expecting to be able to pick it out against all of these (much stronger) notes. I really like the lavender and Snake Oil combo, but my skin chemistry has decided to amp the rosewater in this one, and combined with the fresh Snake Oil, it smells sharp and bitter on me. While the lavender hasn't gone away, it's more of a rose-y Snake Oil than a lavender Snake Oil on me, and since the Snake Oil is fresh, I am getting zero of Snake Oil's vanilla to help smooth things over.

I am one of those people that only like Snake Oil once it has been aged, so I am going to set this aside for a few months before testing it again. But if you are a fan of fresh Snake Oil and are hoping for a rose-y snek, you may want to give this one a try!

Lavender, honey, snake oil, whiff of rose. This is a lavender-honey Snake Oil to me. Do with that what you will. Good throw and wear length.

Lavender and Snake Oil are absolutely lovely together! I can smell light sugary cotton candy and rosewater (one of the rose-based notes that usually works on me), and a hint of powdery honey that all come out during drydown. Those three serve as backup dancers for the Snake Oil/lavender duet.

This is so gorgeous, I think I need to gather funds for a full bottle, even though I'm trying to limit myself to only decants for a while.

Sugary snake oil. I ca definitely smell the cotton candy here. If I really focus and huff I can identify the lavender but it's not really noticeable for me if I'm not looking for it. Candied, floral Snake Oil is what I would call this. I am smelling the rosewater more than the lavender. This is OK but I don't think it's full bottle worthy for me as I'm not crazy about cotton candy notes. 

At first this is all bright herbal lavender, then it becomes All Snake Oil. An ever-slightly sweeter SO than plain SO, but mainly SO nonetheless. I like it, but I don’t need a bottle.

As someone who prefers aged Snake Oil, this is not catching my attention. I love the wet phase, when I get the lavender, but then it goes sharp on me and rose water is too light too seduce me as it usually does. Very little sweetness.

However, this is going in the cellar and will deserve retesting, judging from previous SO flanker experience.

In the imp: mostly Snake Oil, with a wee hint of honey, and maybe sugared lavender if you really try sniffing for it.

Wet: a little more lavender now, and a weirdly chocolate herbal tone, layered over vanilla and patchouli.

Dry: this may have given me a slight irritation, although I'm not sure why; Snake Oil never has and neither has Dorian or anything with lavender. It sure seemed itchy though. Ultimately this is Snake Oil 2.0, with a lot less of the other notes, and not quite what I wanted from the description. It is long lived, pushing upwards of 10 hours, but surprisingly mild in throw.

2021 retest: Very similar to the original wear, with a slightly stronger lavender in the early stages. Very dirty patchouli, and no irritation this time; ultimately, still Snake Oil 2.0 so it will not be resurrected from my swaps pile.

Stars: ★★★

Edited by alyelle
retest

So once upon a time I longed for a rose scent where rose did not bully every other note into terrified submission.

This is not that blend. Fortunately the rose is not the migraine type, but it is the maniacally laughing world takeover type. Somewhere, far in the background, is the incensey carcass remains of Snake Oil. Honey (which normally amps on me) and lavender (poor sweet lavender) have both been devoured whole, without a trace.

So, I will probably pass this along.

Edit to add: Wait there was supposed to be cotton candy here? Ahahahahahahaha rosewater makes a mockery of sugary confections.

Edited by Deceitfuldescender

Wet: Lavender and rosewater, with a tiny hint of Snake Oil. STRONG on the lavender!

Dry: Ah, Snake Oil has made her way front and center! Snake Oil, and lavender. 

I got the dry down that I wanted, but I'm not sure how I feel about it. Snake Oil? Love! Lavender? I enjoy from time to time. Together? .... Undecided.

This should be great.  It has all the notes, but falls flat from the get go.  The honey dominates from start to finish on me with a touch of (not so pleasant) rosewater.  This is the kind of scent that would mask BO, it just reminds me of that for some reason.  :(  I think I'll try this in a few days, my hormones may be the culprit here.  I hope.

I get mostly a gorgeous, grown up rose cotton candy. It is sugared (but not overly sweet like the body sprays of my youth) and has a wispy/powder texture that evokes spun sugar with a rosy haze around it. The remains the dominant aspect of the scent, with lavender coming out more on the skin. A deep sniff reveals the spicy, warm SO base, which comes through more after an hour or so. Gorgeous!  

I *love* Beeswax, Lavender, and Acacia Honey, so I had to hunt for this. A lot of BPAL honeys in the past didn't work for me, but whatever is being used in the Beeswax trio, On Imagination, etc. is a delight. Honey just seems to be one of those notes that can be very different on everyone, as some complain the Beeswax trio is acrid or screeching. A lot of popular BPAL honeys go very dusty and dry on me (Bright Red Dildo / Krampus Lace / O to some extent). But that's beside the point, because it's not honey that I'm objecting to here.

Ah Storge. I get a blast of lavender at the start and then it becomes this one note that I do not like at all. I think it's rosewater. I don't like roses in most blends, but this isn't quite the piercing rose, it's more bland but very distantly resembles what I dislike about roses. But that's really all I get. No honey. No lavender. No Snake Oil. No cotton candy. Just that unpleasant note. Tested twice now and it's been the same in both instances. 

I get all of the notes in this one. It's a bit reminiscent of my bottle of 2010 Womb Furie, since it has the same ooey gooey honey. The Snake Oil component is also a bit powdery to me, which I don't mind at all. The lavender and rosewater are like a floral blanket wrapping around the honey and Snake Oil. I get both of them fairy prominently but one doesn't overpower the other. The one note I don't get a ton of after the perfume has dried is the cotton candy. It's very prominent at first, sugary sweet with the florals.

This is very soothing and sweet. It's like getting a comforting hug from Snake Oil.