Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
sarada

Yggdrasil

The World Ash. Nine woods, nine leaves, and three herbs each for Ratatosk and Vidofnir, with three final herbs to placate Nidhogg.

Phew - Mega Mentholatum! This will be a blessing during my next cold.

Finally the menthol drops down, but I'm still getting too much of a cold feeling. I want it to be warm and enveloping, not off-putting. My idiot nose gets no woods from this. Sigh.

O dear, Yggdrasil scared me. :P At first it smells so strongly of cedar and medicine that I was tempted to wash it off. A bit later, the scent has mellowed a little but it still smells of burnt wood and angry greens. Later still, it's becoming a bit better. A woodsy, green scent and... ah, half an hour later, it has morphed into soap.

In the imp: Confusing. This is totally different than I thought it would be.

On the wrist, wet: Is that mouthwash I smell??? What on earth is wrong with my nose?

Drydown: For some reason this is a very pleasant mouthwash on me.

Final Analysis: I am so disappointed in my skin chemistry. I didn't think it could so thoroughly wreck a smell, but it has. Off to the swaps.

It's funny, but this is the one scent for which I was truly longing. This scent was the reason I placed an order. I really wanted it to work...

BUT...

It totally doesn't work on me.

First, in the imp, I smell an interesting camphor like odor...

same wet...

on dry, for a little while I get 2 woods...maybe pine and oak (?) and real leaves (which I like). But no herbs.

The scent eventually turns to spicy soap on me though...and for this, I cry. It is NICE spicy soap, but soap all the same. And I don't want soap.

ALAS!

I forgot to mention that the Hubby tried it too.

On him, he said:

"smells like those wax things we used to get from the ice cream man when we were kids." (the ones with the fruity syrup. I think he is referring to the odor that I called camphor-like)

It turns a really manly, sexy, spicy soap on him, but still soap though. He said "It's all right." (he's such a boy. They are sometimes known for their specifics...ex: you look "fine.")

Edited by Dinerdulcinea

Bottle: wintergreen, wood, tea tree, smoke

Wet: wintergreen, tea tree, smoke, cedar, dark woods

Dry: this dries down to a cloyingly sweet spicy herbal that doesn't like my chemistry at all

I wanted to like this one so much, but the wintergreen blended with some of the more medicinal smelling herbs kills it for me. The smoky wood notes underneath are more what I was looking for, but sadly don't last very long on my skin, fading to a generic sweet spicy smell. The wood scent that embodies more of what I was looking for in Yggdrasil, is Kathmandu.

Hmm, almost exactly what Sonnett typed except that it never gets too cloying. Does start out a bit on the medicinal, wintergreen/herbal side but quickly turns to a gorgeous, barely sweet, smoky incense and woods scent.

It doesn't stay with me long, unfortunately, but it's quite beautiful nonetheless.

In the bottle: Hard to identify. Something herbally medicinal, a little pipe tobacco maybe? Something sweet.

On me: The second I put it on I thought 'wintermint gum tobacco air-freshener!' Something I can't put my finger on that smells very familiar. People compare Nocnitsa with this, I think I've observed. This definitely is more like herbal medicine and less like spicy berry-fir. Icy Hot! That's what it is. My mom used to put it on my dad when I was a little kid.

As it sits, the Icy Hot fades, and it starts to seem more clean, herbal. Not light, friendly herbal, definitely a darker herbal. But eventually it did grow to be more of a perfumey scent ('sharpness,' I guess, is what I associate with it being 'like perfume') and it didn't suit my skin. I'm not sure if my body chemistry just can't carry it off, didn't react well with it or what. I think a gentler, less piercing forest smell would be right up my alley.

In the imp - More herby than woody and lighter than I'd have thought.

Wet on skin - Wow! Very herby and astringent.

Dry on skin - Settling down to a fresh cut wood smell, still green and slightly astringent but with more depth.

Later - Woody with sharp greens. Subtle and comforting. Definitely a keeper.

In the imp: Smells like linament!

Wet: Still the linament but it fades rapidly to a sharp green scent that reminds me a lot of the green note I didn't like in Dublin.

Drydown: That green note is softening quickly thankfully, and other herbs and woods are coming through.

Dry: Wow this has changed! It's now a soft, rather pretty scent. The herbs and greens are still uppermost, but they're softened by the woods underneath. Pretty, but not my thing.

Edited by Trishek

In bottle: I swear I'm getting lotus from this. o_O And crumpled fresh leaves, the juices on your fingers...

On me: Ummm. This is a beautiful light woodsy thing. One of the things I love about BPAL is that they have quite a few scents that are forests, but they're all different forests. There's lots of light in this one. Juniper is here, but in the distance. Silvery-barked birch. That lotus-like smell rises. The scent changes, like you're walking through the forest. Yum. :P

In the imp: Woodsy/herbal. Very light.

On my skin: This goes through a brief "VapoRub" phase before settling down to a very green fragrance. There's got to be eucalyptus here, and I think also the juniper.

This one is nice on me, but it's not one to write home about. I'm starting to think most of the really herby scents just don't work super, super well on me. :/

I keep wanting to like these foresty kinds of scents, but they keep just not working. :P

Yggdrasil works on me wet -- it's a nice light woodsy, green kind of smell with herbals that don't go medicinal and wood that isn't too dry. It has a touch of wintergreen, though not nearly so much as Hamadryad. But dry it goes...sharp and artificial and just odd. I wish I knew what it was that did that, as it's in Hamadryad and several other forest/herb ones as well. This would be a good pick for someone trying to find a foresty one that wasn't all dirt/vetiver and doesn't have a siginifcant evergreen note.

In the bottle: Trees! Piney, menthol-y trees.

Wet: I think it's absolutely amazing that this just smells like forests on me. And a bit of Vick's Vapor Rub.

Drydown: Cedar, trees, and menthol. This is not at all something I would pick for myself (but it was a frimp, so that's why I have it). I'm still so amazed at the artistry that went into this blend.

While wearing: This basically just smells like menthol and trees on me forever and ever. Lots and lots of trees. It may help clear my nasal passages, though. :P Really, if I'm looking for a cold, wintery, piney scent, I'll go with Snow Moon.

I wanted to try this imp because I'm enchanted by Norse mythology. (funny how I pick so many imps to try because of their associations and names!)

this is all spice on me - no woods that I can smell. I got this imp in a swap and am unsure how old it is. it's slightly herbal as well. overall, this is amazing! :P

Yggdrasil-

In Bottle: Kind of generically resinous. But nice-smelling!

Wet: A little more of a wood bloom, not too cedar-ous. Which is good because I don't like overwhelming cedar.

Dry: This is actually kind of "yummy" as a resinous scent. But it doesn't last long! It fades pretty quickly.

Overall: Fast fader, too bad.

YGGDRASIL

In Bottle: Minty herbs

On Skin: This is a super herbal scent, it clears the sinuses right away. I smell herbs, fresh cut… like when you break a sprig off and it bleeds on your finger tips a bit. Very sharp and fresh. This has an obvious green tone. As with most herbal scents, I get a medicinal feel… kind of cough drops meets toothpaste. There is also a darker woody undertone that keeps it from being too bright and sharp. It’s an interesting scent, but not for me. Fairly strong throw and long wearlength.

Wet this is evergreen

Dry this is faded evergreen and some floral... smells a bit "masculine" too. doesn't smell very lifelike and foresty on me though... unfortunately :D

ETA: this smells disturbingly masculine on me. but not in a good way, actually. Like I was (errm) with a guy right now...

ETA2: ^ wierd associations :P ...before this goes off to swaps, I thought I might add, that it is interesting to smell what a little bit of aging and a little bit of blending can do! The 3 month old imp is not purely evergreen (with slight herbal/floral undertone) anymore, it became more complex somehow. and when a tiny bit came onto my Dragon's Blood perfumed wrist by accident, the combination was actually quite nice! Yggdrasil gave a clear woodsy feeling to the lilac scent which I get from Dragon's Blood, which was lovely. I'm still sending it off :D but I'm glad it's not a total disaster in my book anymore though!!

Edited by Browneyes

Going through my box, trying to decide which imps to keep.

It smells lovely and sharp in the bottle.

On my wrist? It smells like going to a nursing home.

This is not a keep for me.

Yggdrasil

What an odd scent! In the imp, I smelled coacoa and a woodsy scent that was almost a Christmasy scent without being classic Christmas. But now that it's on my skin, it has turned into a very sharp, clean woodsy scent that is definitely clearing my sinuses.

drydown: Very strong, woodsy scent, still has that note that's clearing my sinuses like woah. I think it might actually be better for the hubby than for me, though I'd describe it as gender-neutral.

This really just smells like itself. I imagine a forrest on top of a snow covered mountain.

Edit: AFter reading some of the other responses, I definitely get a Bengay smell out of this one. In fact, now that I think of it, it's all I'm smelling. I'm also going to keep it around for my next cold, but it's not a scent I'd like to walk around the mall or go to a party smelling like.

Edited by KassiK

Got this in a swap.

At first, Yggrasil turns into herbs with something sharp blended in - a bit like varnish? Lacquer? Eeeph. :P Reminds me of putting together my bookcase. Hoping that Yggdrasil would turn different, I decided to wait for a while to see if this would change. Luckily, it did that, because the faintl varnish-like note was starting to scare me.

After drydown, the scent fades into a very unnoticeable wooden scent. Warm dry wood, with a sligthly sweet undertone. Lovely! The first half an hour had me doubting whether I'd keep this at all, but this phase made me change my mind. The scent is very elusive and light, to the point where I have trouble telling apart the scent from my skin.

It's very soothing, like a sunny afternoon in a dry, dusty log cabin up in the mountains. I'm going to keep this, but it reminds me so heavily of winter that I'll most likely only use it during winter.

I love this! I don't get the pinesol or bengay scent at all - on me Yggdrasil is a crisp, green, woodsy smell. Like a pine forest in the heat of late afternoon, with crushed herbs underneath. It's wonderfully fresh and alive. Distinct but not overpowering. I think this scent would work well in summer and winter.

In bottle: Pale yellow, thin liquid.

Sharp and clear and something minty I should recognize. Very different from anything I’ve tried before. Nicely different :-)

Wet: Gets more complicated and a bit sweeter (what doesn’t on my skin???) but staying in the basic range as the bottle. Not terrible strong on me but even faintly there it’s clearing my sinuses.

Dry: dry sharp green with a hint of something sweet and berryish. Nice and tart and making my mouth water, literally. Nicely mentally clarifying too.

Later: bright tartness withstands even dishwashing.

Summary: Definite keeper at least for now.

Woodsy and herbal, with a background note of resin that adds a sharpness. As it dries down, a distinct wintergreen note comes up for me. I remember a black birch tree that smelled like this. The longer I have it on, the more herbs and wintergreen it becomes. Feels like it could help keep you calm and awake.