Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
sarada

Yggdrasil

The World Ash. Nine woods, nine leaves, and three herbs each for Ratatosk and Vidofnir, with three final herbs to placate Nidhogg.

This was a very clean woods scent. Light and airy. Almost soapy on my skin. There is a bit of a minty tone here, but I'm not entirely sure what that is. It's a very light green blend. Nice, but not for me.

In the imp, I smell... minty bathroom cleaner?

On me, it doesn't fare much better. Fresh on, it's bathroom cleaner with extra soap. As it dries, it doesn't change much, but it sure as hell makes my sinuses swell up.

In short, this was sadly a complete disaster on me, and I will try and find it a better home.

Out of the bottle: Definitely getting lots of those herb notes, and I'm also smelling the menthol that some people mentioned. It's almost medicinal, but I like it.

Upon application: Quieted down a lot after I put it on. I had these scented crayons as a kid and the dark green ones were supposed to smell like evergreen... that's exactly what Yggdrasil smells like on me, wax and all. I'm sad to say this one isn't a keeper. :huh?:

These notes are from an imp I received from the Lab in in Spring of 2008, when I was too shy to post reviews to the forum.

In the bottle this smells very fresh and green.

Wet I am reminded of woods after a rain, where the air is clear and cool and carries the scent of fresh leaves.

As it dries the woods come out and I get an almost powdery floral scent that reminds me of the chamomile [mixed with the cypress] in High Priest Not to Be Described [which I definitely amp, so I suspect something similar is occurring here].

After dry down this is mossy, herbal, and still a little powdery. After a few hours it morphs back to green again and the herbal and leafy notes have the most staying power on me.

Wet: In the imp it smells like sharp wood that makes me think of splinters. Fresh on, there's wood, alright, with a leafy-grassy-herbal overtone. However, there's also a cold but sweet mentholated blast, similar to the one I also found unwearable in Kathmandu.

Dry: After just a few minutes, the menthol backs off, thank goodness. It feels like there might be a bit of mint in here, too. The cold notes fade out with time. Some evergreen notes at first, probably pine, and then eventually a dusty, white sandalwood dominated scent with an herbal background. The herbal notes aren't agreeing with me very well. This scent feels stiff and very dry, almost powdery.

Overall: I don't like the wet stages, and the dry stages aren't thrilling me. This feels masculine in a mass produced, generic way. This has woodsy, natural notes in it, but somehow the combination ends up feeling a bit fake. Oh, well, can't win them all.

Ok, so I think I totally missed something with this one. It smells like minty musky MOUTHWASH on me. WTF, skin? I don't understand it, but I sure don't like it...bummer, the description is amazing. Swap pile.

Edited by misscoldheart

In the imp: Plastic cinnamon, dark woods. Very deep dark woods.

Wet: Cinnamon gum. Reminds me of Bengal, or the Dodo. Except this is a cinnamon forest and not just gum or cinnamon fruit.

Dry: Woody cinnamon.

Overall: This doesn't morph at all on me. I love cinnamon, but gum not perfume.

It reminds me of running track outside. Not to say that's necessarily a bad smell, just that all the woodsy smell come off a bit pine-fresh on me, somewhat like some sort of shoe freshener, and when mixed with my body chemistry just makes me think of track. So yeah, not going to be wearing this one unless I feel like running I guess.

It lasted a mid length for me, not short or long. More shorter than longer.

I was looking forward to this one.. disappointed.

This does smell like minty bathroom cleaner. My first impression was a menthol cough syrup. The herbs come out on the drydown, but not worth the process. Still gives me a PTSD shudder because of it's wet phase. I'll have to pass on this one and stick with Nocnitsa...

In the Imp: woody, herbal, a bit sharp

Wet on Skin: there is a scent in here that is not quite licorice, but reminds me of making gingerbread houses as a kid

While Drying: very sharp; The Boy says it smells like something you would find at Nordstroms. I agree that there is a bit of potpourri character. Stingingly fresh.

After a Little While: A bit more of the wood is coming through now. Still astringent. Hard to pick out individual notes. There is a note in here that is quite pungent and slightly soapy - I recognize it from other blends, but I can't remember which. Could it be galangal?

Later: Where did it go? It was so strong, and then *poof* gone.

Final Thoughts: I think I need to let this one sit around for a while and see if age improves its temperament.

Yggdrasil earns a 3/5 on my skin.

In the bottle and when I first put it on were about the same - very light with too many subtle herby, slightly floraly, yet grounded notes to pick out. It wears on me soft all day long not fading but not standing out either.

However, when I started to sweat that evening ( ;) ) it reacted with my chemisty to blossom! and not in a flowery sort of way. The whole scent just bloomed off of me in a very pleasant way that was subtley intoxicating :) It's a very nice mix of timeless herbs/forest. Until then I was a little ho-hum about it as I like my scents to stand out a bit more, but now I think I'll keep it around to try again!

As soon as I saw this, I HAD to get it. I love the whole story behind it, and I'm pretty much a sucker for norse mythology. It smells very woody and herbal in the imp, but as soon as it hits my skin... spearmint gum. Maybe a bit more herbal but... spearmint gum. Complete skin chemistry fail on this one.

I tried this one today and was very surprised when I put it on that it smelled MINTY. It made me think *toothpaste*. Maybe an herbal toothpaste, but a minty, herbal toothpaste nonetheless. Or, maybe more accurately, wintergreen gum.

Now that I've had it on for a while the mintiness has toned down, and it smells a bit like herb garden flowers. I'm a little disappointed that this doesn't scream 'woods' to me. I was really hoping that it would capture that 'being-in-the-woods' smell. Definitely visualizing green.

Once I get over the shock of the mint (not my favorite scent), I enjoy this a bit, but my skin must be amping something, because it gets very, very sweet and floral. It's a nice fresh scent I'll probably wear once in a while, but I wanted more woody and deep and less fresh and airy. Why don't I smell wood?

Edited by heatherovka

I have a big interest in Norse Myths and I remember ever since I was a kid, the concept of Yggdrasil, this tree at the center of all life, was deeply fascinating. It was always one of those oils I had to try. I'm expecting something woody, green and herbal here.

In the imp - green and herbal, slightly medicinal.

On wet - oh wow! Definitely herbal. I smell mint, possibly sage, possibly rosemary, and a lot of green. Reminds me of the most comforting cold medicine imagineable. That may sound like a turn-off but it isn't, it's very pleasant :)

Drydown - an unseeming, relaxing, herbal green scent that stays close to the skin. I wish I could make out more of the notes here, but am consistently failing everytime I try . . . beautiful, though!

In the bottle: Rich orange oil, sweet woody herbal citrus.

Wet: Sweet fruity citrus and the delicious smell of freshly sawed wood.

Dry: Soft herbs and wood, very light. I'm starting to get the aroma of lumber yard. Not bad, but not necessarily what one wants to smell like. The aroma is very subtle and close to my skin. I have a feeling it won't last.

After a few minutes: Sweet woods, plus something citrusy.

After first hour: Sweet, herbal wood, a touch of hickory.

After two and a half hours: More of the same, very faded

After 5 hours: Gone.

Final verdict: Subtle and pretty. I have no objections to this perfume, in fact I rather like it, but I am not in love with it sufficiently to warrant a bottle or even necessarily another imp.

This is really manly on me. I smell wood, wood, wood and more wood, and maybe an aquatic and herbal note laced on top. Definitely not for me, at ALL. It's not horrible, but I really don't care for it.

Source: Lab decant

In the decant: Woodsy, herbal, a touch medicinal

Wet: Wood! Light wood, not heavy dark forest, but a sun-dappled wood made of pale ash, linden and yew. Underneath I smell herbs - sage, I think, and maybe rosemary?

Dry: A softer version of above, not much of a change.

This is a very pleasant, light, woody scent. I find it calming and quite restful.

Not for me, definitely. I don't mind blends with wood, but I need a little bit of a sweetener and this doesn't have one. It's completely dry woods and herbs. I think I can pick out sage as being one of the stronger herbs in this, but I'm not positive. I think I'm going to have to test it out on my boyfriend as this is a very masculine blend, and I think it will work much better on him than it does on me.

Wet: Sharp and minty. Smells like that blue gum I can't remember the name of that I loved as a child. That was unexpected! Something green and herbal underneath.

Drydown: Still sharp and cool and minty, there might be some woods there in the back as well. It's not unpleasant, I don't dislike it, but this is really screwing with my preconceptions. I thought Yggdrasil would be a whole lot more green and brown (menthol feels very blue to me).

Wait, now the mint has softened and blended with the underlying notes to produce something almost citrusy, backed by bitter herbs. And that combination smells a bit sour to me. I'm really confused.

Dry: It seems to have settled on sour, which is not particularly pleasant. This clearly isn't a scent that works for me. Oh well. I'd be a lot more upset if there weren't tons of other green/woodsy ones to try.

Keep: No

Bottle: No

I've never really been a fan of piney scents, especially not BPAL's pine. They re so good at making things smell real and..I love the smell of pine but not to wear.

This perfume starts out pine, very green.....with a light light woodsyness behind it.

I really like the woodsy element but not the pine.

As it dries it gets SO much sweeter and the pine/evergreen fades quickly, now it smells like sugary woods that are very very light.

I don't really have much to say on this one, it fades fast on my skin.

Not a fan.

:(

So much to sniff in this one....

Imp- straight up vicks vapo rub

On wet- sinuses are clear....vaporific

Dry- yum! Mint gum...spa herbs....and mint listerine

After 1 hour- chewing mint gum in a woodshop just after getting an expensive facial

3+ hours- stinky feet in a woodshop.....while chewing mint gum.

This one is pretty crazy. Not for me, but first bpal scent that morphs like mad. Wowzers.

On the skin: Herbally yet clean. Almost smells like peppermint? Yeah, this one smells like a light peppermint. This is a sweet peppermint though. Not strong at all.

In the bottle: Very herbal and clean and green. I’ve smelled this in hotel rooms! Thyme, maybe? Wintergreen? Mint? Very strong and clear scent. Cool and dry, fresh and crisp, woodsy without actually being *in* the forest. Out in the clearing, maybe.

On the skin: okay, now I smell like a Very Clean hotel room, very strong initial greens. It’s not bad at all. Very, very, very green and herbal, just like the sign says. And I do like my green herbals!

Dry: oh, there’s all the lovely, lovely woods! Cedar, maybe? I’m liking it even more! A nice walk in the meadows in late spring; everything’s green and growing and the breeze is warm and the woods are greening (you get the idea). A nice warm, clean scent. (This is sooo going in the car!) Okay, I can’t stop sniffing this one! It’s making me smile!

Much later: this has mellowed into a very nice, clean-smelling man smell. With cedar finally coming through with the other woods and more herbs! Very decadent and smoothly sultry.

Yes, it’s very masculine, freshly showered and dripping wet with a towel still wrapped ‘round his hips. I need to put some of this on my husband and see if it smells as good on him. I have an odd skin chemistry, I do very well with men’s scents. Not so good with women’s scents. ::checks boobs:: yep, they’re still there. Guess I’m just odd. But I’m definitely buying a bottle of this, whether or not it smells good on hubby. It smells damn good on me!

A bit strong wet; maybe a bit more piney smell than I would have liked. It calmed down to a foresty scent with floral notes and now, seven hours later, is faint but smells the best thus far--very close to the scent of dry pine needle and leaf litter. I like it, but I'd like this last note to be stronger and earlier!