Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Ina Garten Davita

Centzon Totochtin

The Four Hundred divine rabbits of the Aztec pantheon that preside over parties and drunkenness. Bittersweet Mexican cocoa with rum, red wine, and a scent redolent of sacrificial blood.

at first this smells like burnt chocolate. when it dries, the burning smell goes away and then it's like a bitter dark chocolate mixed with fruity red wine. in the background there's a slight metallic, iron-y smell that could be blood. this scent lasted for hours and remained consistent until i washed it off. i think this is a great winter perfume, very warm and comforting.

I'm mixed on this one. At first it smelled like an old-fashioned sumptuous dessert table, rich mocha cake and dry red wine. Unfortunately it dried down on me to a very dry and somewhat bitter coffee-chocolate. I do like it, but it's too strong for me to wear regularly.

Centzon Tototchtin, This is great on me! :P This blend does for me what Kali could not do. From the bottle the same cocoa aroma as with Kali but stronger, Then on my skin the blood ,wine and rum notes appear and make this an exotic beautiful aroma with great staying power. :D Im glad I decided on a bottle.

Edited by Reinaluna

Centzon Totochtin:

(I hope I'm not being repetitive - I haven't read any of the reviews of it)

Preconceived notions: bittersweet cocoa, red wine, blood? I must have it! I just hope the rum isn’t too strong.

In the vial: wow, this is really complex. I can’t pick out any particular scent, at first, but eventually, I notice the dragon’s blood-red wine combination I love so much in Blood Rose. I guess the rest must be the cocoa and rum, but it’s not nearly that obviously foody. Smells wonderful. Now, how does it work on me?

On me: This is amazing. Hands down, just amazing. This is a dark, decadent, dangerously seductive ritual. The rum is being good and not overwhelming things, though I can tell it’s there. And although I don’t *like* the rum note, even in this, for some reason I like it because I don’t like it - it makes it nearly painful in a good way, since the other notes are strong enough that it’s only in the background.

Over time: This is a very dry scent. I’m not entirely sure what I mean by that, just that the scent seems like enhanced cocoa powder. It also stays very close to my skin - not much wafting, as far as I can tell. It’s also definitely very dark - probably one of the darkest scents I’ve tried (just shy of the darkness of Mystery - Mystery was black - this is espresso-brown).

1 hour later: Still going strong, and still about the same scent, though the wine is starting to peek through a little more.

Overall: To sum up, I’d say it’s Blood Rose for chocolate lovers. I really like that wine-dragon’s blood combination, and it works marvelously here with the cocoa and rum. I may well get a bottle of this.

I can definitely smell cocoa, wine, and blood in this. And each scent is good, but they never combine into a complete scent on me. After an hour or so, this scent is nonexistant on my skin except for a vague powdery whiff of bloody cocoa. Not my favorite scent, but interesting nonetheless.

Out of the imp... chocolate dragon's blood.

On I smell wine, but there is chocolate too. It is a dark chocolate, like unsweetened chocolate. There is the spicy smell of dargon's blood here as well.

This dries down on me to smell like chocolate covered Tintagel. Without the leather. :P

THIS IS MY HOLY GRAIL!!! i only have an imp, and i could kick myself! this is the most *intoxicating* blend of seduction in a vial! oh, my !! :D i smell the rum, the wine, and the cocoa... not even sure what blood smells like, ick, but i don't find anything offensive, that's for sure. i have just put in an order for a 10ml of this wicked potion, and if it came in one of those big blue office water jugs, i'd be the first to order it. i am in LOOOVE! :P

UPDATE: months later, i finally have my 10ml, and it is every bit as intoxicating as the imp. i just love this stuff--strong & womanly, but not in a passive, girly way. i am just lovin' this stuff! :D

Edited by warmfuzzies

This is an odd one... it's like dark cocoa, and agave syrup. The boozyness makes it have a tequilla-ness to it, but it's fresher than that. It's sweet and dusty and really evokes the desert at night.

Anyway, I love it. Purrr.

Definitely a blend of bittersweet chocolate, dragonsblood resin & boooziness in the bottle and on me. No sweet notes detectable. It is a "dry" scent as someone else pointed out and lasts all day long. I found that it did not go through too many changes like many of the LE's that I have tried-pretty true from start to finish.

I enjoyed this very much and will probably pick up a big bottle. :P

First sniff from the bottle- Deep dark cocoa and a tinge of wine

After 10 minutes- The cocoa in still very strong in this. I am also detecting bitter coffee and the rum. There is something else in this I can smell...I think it is the Dragons Blood.

After 30 minutes- Soft whispers of Cocoa and Dragons Blood. I just wish this phase was a lot stronger, yummy!

Summery- I ordered a 5ml of this unsniffed. I am glad I did because I love this one. :P

ETA- I have been wearing Centzon Totochtin all week and I am absolutely in love with it. This is by far one of my favorite BPAL scents of all time.

Edited by requieminblack

in the bottle, a warm buttery, chocoalte mocha

wet, butter immediately disappears and leaves a dry chocolatey smell

dry: is dry, a dry red wine, and cocoa w/ a back drop of dragon's blood?

nice and warm

Am I the only one smelling cherry in this???

In the vial and first on my skin this smells like chocolate hazelnut pralines (like Ferrero Rocher if anyone knows it or Nutella).

After a while the cocoa shifts into the background and all I can smell are bright red, juicy cherries doused in rum. It's really fruity on me with a warm aura. The cherry note reminds me strongly of Blood Kiss, which unfortunately morphed into something very unpleasent on me. :P The cocoa is still there, although it is very subtle. This is what I expected Vice to smell like.

If the sweet cherry note stays true, this is going to be my first 10 ml! :D

In the bottle

Buttery chocolate

Wet

Chocolate and a touch of wine in the background.

It's like a coffe-ish chocolate, rich, dark and smokey. And something sweet in the background too like toffee.

10 Minutes

The wine is an equal player with the chocolatey note now.

I can't tell if the somewhat piercing wine competes with the dark coffe scent or if it lifts it, making it brighter and a tad sweeter.

20 minutes

This drying scent doesn't dry too well. It goes over and over from being a spicey chocolate vanilla scent (if there were such a thing) to having some weird undernote that verges on being yukky. I think it might be the blood note.

Throw:

Light

Scent category:

Foody

Summary

Has potential to be yummy if it weren't for that blasted note when drying.

This is a decadent little blend. In the list of chocolate scents like Bliss, Vice and Velvet, I would put this closer to Velvet only a wee bit sweeter and a teeny it brighter. It would be good on males as well I think.

Purchase again?

Yes. Perhaps an imp for mixing.

1-5 rating, 5 being best.

Edited by UltraViolet

If this were a pastry or an ice cream, I'd love it. It's rich, just slightly sweet, and smells like dark bittersweet chocolate, rum, and a bit of coffee to me.

I don't think food scents work on me, though, so I'm putting it in the swap pile. It smells lovely, but it's not a scent I want to wear, if that makes any sense.

In the imp:

Reminds me of Blood Kiss without the vetiver and clove. Different notes, but I swear they both have some similar component..I wonder if it's the "blood."

I mainly smell the cocoa, wine and rum, and (even though it isn't in the description) cherry.

On drydown, the cocoa mellows out and it becomes much softer. It's primarily "blood" component after that, and just a touch of the booze. It's nice, and I'm pretty sure I want a bottle. It's surprisingly deep, the color it brings to mind is (appropriately) blood red.

Centzon Totochtin gets a little better every time I try it.

Bitter cocoa, red wine and rum. It does have a boozy quality initially, which the cocoa dries out quickly. The spice-cherry combination (drying blood?) stays more in the background.

Similar to Kali, but headier, and without the womanly florals. Centzon Totochtin feels like drinking, but without the hangover.

rabbits.gif

I had huge hopes for this one. Everyone's description of it made my mouth water. Since I love Velvet, I was hoping this was revved up Velvet and truly considered buying a 5ml bottle unsniffed. However, I did get an imp in the swaps first. Good move.

In the bottle it was somewhat stinky. This is not a turn off, Velvet smells pretty bad in the bottle and I love it. On my skin I started to get the disappointment. Headshop. I couldn't get much cocoa from it, there was cherry in there and a lot of confusion in the background. I just wasn't pulling out components which were companions out of the blend.

Once it was "set" on my skin I could not smell much. Then it was gone, utterly gone.

I am glad I got to try it out. I loved the concept and I still think that it inspired some of the most delightful prose on the board. I wish there had been more cocoa and a more directed note in the blend, as well as staying power. I am willing to believe that much if not all of this is due to my skin chemistry. It seems to be a popular scent and I hope that whomever gets it in the swaps just falls for it and loves it forever.

P.S. I really love the icon I did for it, too. Seems like the blend inspired some mighty artistic efforts in writing and design. I don't want to take it down. Maybe I'll start a category called "Scents that broke my heart", that would be Wilde and Totochin.

Edited by olympia301

Centzon Totochtin:

Wet: Wow, this is baker's chocolate and raw cocoa with rum. Deep, bitter, and strong.

Drydown: The cocoa mellows out and the wine peeks in, but barely.

Longterm wear: I don't know if I would wear this scent often, but it's so different that I can't help but to like it. I'll have to try it another time or two and see how it holds up as a regular scent. :P

Centzon Totochtin was one of the ones I was most excited about whilst waiting for my first Lab order, particularly after reading through all these reviews.

In the imp: Deep, expensive cocoa with spices and a hint of booze. Orgasmic!

Initial application: Oh dear. What happened? This instantly turns to a blisteringly strong, burnt-espresso scent on hitting my skin. I nearly washed it off, because it was making me desperately thirsty and slightly headachey, but I had faith it would settle down.

After 30 minutes: Still burnt coffee, although I can start to detect other notes.

After about 2 hours: Okay, now I can smell some of the things I was expecting - cocoa, spices and booze. It's an extremely dry, bitter cocoa scent, and the coffee aroma is still hanging around, so combined with the boozy scent, it's overall giving me an impression of a cup of spiced Mexican cocoa, liberally laced with Kahlua.

Once it morphed to this stage, it didn't change much more, although the spicy element would waft up more every now and then. I couldn't put my finger on what spice, exactly, but perhaps nutmeg. Super staying power - it kept going strong all day.

In the end, alas, coffee is not a smell I enjoy very often, so I don't think there's a bottle of this in my future. I'll give the imp a second try, but if it's still the same, I'll probably karma-gift the rest of it to a coffee-loving friend.

cocoa and rum with an edge of wine...smells great for a while, but dries into a nauseatingly sweet scent. :P

Edited by angel sixgun

Centzon Totochtin smells like a chocolate rum ball washed down with a glass of wine. Even though just sniffing the imp makes my mouth water, on my skin wine/blood notes have a habit of turning. For some reason they always go vetivery.

Centzon Totochtin smells like Intrigue meets Grog meets Dragon's Blood. I really want to love it, but it doesn't love me. :P

Centzon Totochtin is thick and dry and strong. The cocoa is bitter and blends well with the wine. The rum really tips this blend over the edge with complexity. I would recommend this to someone who liked the darkness of Intrigue, or wanted a stronger, floral-less version of Dia De Los Muertos or Kali.

I don't know if I can wear this. It's insanely deep and lovely, but not sweet enough for me.

Dark honey at first. Boozy notes emerge, then soft boozy spice thereafter. Dark and mysterious, as well as exotic, end.

Neat, neat, neat. Will have to wear it more to see if it'll become a regular for me, though.

Vial: Dark chocolate with a tangy, sweet red wine note.

Wet: Dark chocolate, wine note has faded somewhat.

Dry: Smells less like chocolate, has deepened into a earthy/spicy scent. It's chocolate dirt. Wine note is gone. It reminds me of Nosferatu, which had the same red wine note, but dried down to dirt. I don't like the smell of dirt, so this must go.

So far I dont like any of the oils with the rum in them. And this one...although faintly smelling like chocolate, the rum won out in the end and I just could not deal.