Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
VioletChaos

Abolish ICE

You can cut all the flowers but you cannot keep Spring from coming.
― Pablo Neruda

Selections from our general catalog of perfumes may have succumbed to frostbite, but never fear! We haven’t lost our molten core of passion for seeing justice served. Consider this our holiday prayer for a reckoning long overdue: May human decency prevail over the corruption and wickedness that endangers so many of our neighbors, and may our government’s assorted agencies be held accountable for their ongoing assault against the civil liberties of those seeking refuge in our land of bountiful freedoms.

Proceeds from sales of this perfume will benefit the Refugee and Immigrant Center for Education and Legal Services (RAICES). For more information about their services, please visit https://www.raicestexas.org

Melt the hoarfrost of this administration’s cruelty with this scent of warmth, safety, and succor: smoked toffee and patchouli with coffee bean, caramelized oudh, clove, and bourbon vanilla.

Disclosure: I purchased 2 bottles of this scent blind because even if this smelled like bottled poo, the meaning behind it is so important in this political climate that I wouldn't even care. That said, it happens to contain a number of notes I tend to love, and I'm hoping it's going to be a knockout :) 

In The Bottle: Toffee, chewy caramel and 
bourbon vanilla. It's warm, sweet and very cozy. I'm falling in love already!

Wet On Skin: Oh, my. The above are cut through by the emergence of the clove and oudh, colluding to pull the scent out of merely being a sweet-n-sticky food treat and moving it into a higher plain- more depth, more spice, a rounding out.

Dry Down: While I get no patch or coffee, all the other notes are at the party, clove taking a slight lead at this stage, making this a warm and inviting cold-weather scent. It doers exactly as it has set out to do: the fires of love, warmth and inclusion ring true and deep with this scent, reminding us that it is community that keeps the cold hard world at bay. Thank you Beth, for bringing such a visceral reminder into the universe, your love is so strong in the fa ce of oppression that it brings tears to my eyes presently. ❤️❤️❤️ 

Chew caramel toffee, with patchouli, coffee, and whiff of clove. This one smells like a nice latte. A sort of comforting drink that you would need after a long day of work in the rain or the cold. And sometimes its less about the taste but the warmth that you feel originating in your hands, and by the time you bring the drink up to your face, you can smell the caramel and the coffee, and you drink it and the warmth slowly slides down your throat, warming your insides. 

Yeah, this is what this feels like.

It smells like warmth, and kindness, and the recognition that while there is some horrible things going on, the human capacity for empathy and kindness is real and it still exists. And that it is worth to take our tired selves back out there, and fucking scream our hearts out until our throats are raw, our eyes sting, and our hands feel numb from carrying the same sign for hours on end.

I get syrupy rum in the initial application with some spices making me momentarily think of Spiced Rum Buttercream Coffee scent. Then it is sweet caramel and spices and vetiver? Smoky vetiver and I get a bit of the gnarly patchouli that has been leaning stale cardboard on me. This isn't looking good folks. Eventually the smokiness and patch back and the spiced toffee coffee becomes more apparent. This is an edgy spiced coffee on me. I will see how it works on my guy. 

I was really hoping I would like this because it's for a cause I truly believe in. But alas, this is a big nope on me.

I don't get any coffee, mostly clove, vanilla, and something akin to stale cardboard like @roseus experienced... it's very much just clove on me at first, which i am not surprised about because i amp clove.

20 minutes in, the toffee has appeared and now i have a sugary-sweet toffee'd up clove dancing around that odd cardboard-y note. I *do* feel an interesting "heat" from this, but instead of being cozy and warming, it's more of a clove-y-plasticky-toffee that has been microwave'd. In fact, my partner said I smelled like "Indian food" :(. And while personally i'm not sure how he gets THAT connotation, it's certainly not what i'm going for!

Freshly applied, Abolish ICE offers gobs of caramel toffee darkened with coffee and clove (in that order of strength). Then I notice lots of bourbon vanilla. 

The gourmand qualities of the opening are tempered in drydown when a little oudh and patchouli start to emerge. If one doesn't often go for the foody, as I don't, it's a bit of a rescue. But the early notes still dominate the blend at this point.

Later, when I get more oudh and patch, it seems like I've lost most of the earlier notes, except for the coffee.

I don't think the balance of notes in this one works for me, but it's a pleasure to try and a great cause.

I just tried on a lot of Yule scents but this one is easily my favorite. But then I do like oude and  sweet scents especially if they have non gourmand base notes. (The "stale cardboard" note some reviewers got was certainly oude.)

Mostly caramelized toffee with a spicy roasted note. The oude quickly becomes the strongest note though it's always spiced and sweetened by the other notes. That means that this is not a primarily foody scent. I do get coffee, the normal fruity coffee bean note which never smells exactly like the drink, but it stays in the background. This is ideal for a cold, chilly day.

Edited by patina