Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

Sweet brandy, dark rum, heavy cream, sugar, and a dash of nutmeg.

First Impression: Boozy nutmeg.

Dries down to: A milder nutmeg with maybe a hint of allspice and some brandy; then, nothing but nutmeg.

Additional Comments: I expected this to be much creamier and sweeter than it is. I got this in a swap, so maybe it "suffered" in its travels or wasn't kept cool and dry. As it is, I'm disappointed in it. I love egg nog and was hoping for more - I could've just mixed nutmeg with any oil to get this. Hopefully, it'll be reissued this year.

Lasted: A couple of hours.

Rating: 2 out of 5

eggnog.jpg

I was hoping for the creaminess of Milk Moon, the rum of Grog, and the spices of sweet Siam. I got something that in no way resembled egg nog on my skin. I didn't even get Play Doh! Dammit! It was fugitive, too. Oh how I envy those who thought it was the real thing.

I hope that I have better luck with whatever foody Yuletide blend that the Lab releases this year. Maybe it's my chemistry, maybe it's one of those blends that's like Beaujolais you have to use up within a couple of months. I wish I knew. Boo hoo.

Edited by olympia301

This was a really warm and snuggly scent on me It did smell exactly like egg nog as well! - The vanilla really came out on my skin and it was a gorgeous sweet smell. It made me wish it was xmas!!

I hope that this is reproduced this xmas as I think I would buy a bottle of this one!!

I love Egg Nog as a food item, it's one of my favorites, and I'll stock up on Lactaid around the holidays just so I can make it/buy it and drink it.

My first experience with the scent Egg Nog was an imp I got in a swap. I sniffed the imp, and it smelled odd, and a little fake to me, so I put it aside. I got it out later, dabbled it on my skin, and it smelled yummy. I recently swapped for half a bottle of it.

In the bottle, it initially has an odd fake smell to me, though I don't know what it's a fake of. On the second sniff, I can catch the booze note, some nutmeg, and some faint creaminess.

As soon as it touches my skin, I get a strong boozy-sweet butteriness that's gorgeous! It makes me want to lick my arm. As it dries, the buttery smell softens into creaminess, and I can smell the nutmeg coming out a bit. It smells very creamy and not too sweet at this stage.

My final verdict on this scent is that the dry down on my skin smells just like egg nog to me. It has some of the features that I love in Milk Moon, but it's not as complex. I love the scent, but it isn't a perfume that I'd wear all the time. I think it will make a delicious body lotion though, which is what I'm planning to do with it.

Rating (on skin): 5/5

Summarised in one word: Egg Nog!

In the imp: Brandy and nutmeg with a bit of cream. If I didn't know that BPAL oils don't taste as lovely as they smell...

On skin, wet: Nutmeg and cream with a dash of sugar. I don't get much brandy from this, which I'm glad of, since I've never much cared for booze notes.

On skin, dry: This stays generally true to its wet stage, and only gets a bit sweeter and somehow 'thicker.'

Throw/strength: This has a strong throw, and lasts about five hours before needing re-application.

Conclusion: A perfect Egg Nog. I love creamy/spicy scents like this, and this is a perfect example of it.

Edited by Aredhel

preconceived notion: Guernsey Egg Nog is one of my favourite Christmas treats of all time, and from the months of November through January, the only thing Starbucks can sell me is the Eggnog Latte. All of the ingredients here just sounded so delicious, and I determined that this was one scent I absolutely HAD to try.

in the bottle: I'm not sure if I'm glad or disappointed that the brandy and rum notes don't create any head whatsoever. But then, I've never had alcoholic eggnog, so I don't miss them much. A direct whiff gives me the strong scent of vanilla, but if I waft the bottle under my nose, I get a hint of the nutmeg, and on every third pass I smell it... absolute, perfect egg nog. The kind that is so thick that it pours like sludge, and so yellow and creamy that you can pretty much make it into a meal (and in fact, should... a Kathleen-sized cup of egg nog has something like 700 calories). This is the sort of thing you drink before going on a walk around the neighborhood to look at Christmas lights and sing carols, tramping on snow in the dark and walking over frozen lakes under the moon. This scent is merry, convivial, sweet, scrumptious, and very festive.

wet: a dusting of nutmeg, and for a moment the blissful bottle smell continues... but it transforms onto my skin into a vanilla extract almost immediately. Unfortunately, vanilla is something I only like in French toast. On my body, it smells cheap and plastic.

drydown: I have the feeling that other people smelling me would love this scent, because who DOESN'T like vanilla, dammit? Except for me. I don't like vanilla. I like EGG NOG, and feel bitterly cheated. Obviously my chemistry is betraying me.

post-conceived notion: I never have liked vanilla as a perfume note. If I'd known this contained vanilla, I would have been a lot more hesitant about spending $44 dollars for a bottle. :/

verdict: a gorgeous scent that transforms into something standard on me. Needs to be with someone who it will bond with properly.

Origin: Purchased on LJ forums.

In the Bottle: alcohol, cream, nutmeg...yes, I can verify that this does indeed smell like eggnog. :P

Wet: All spices and cream.

Drydown: The nutmeg dominates on my skin.

Verdict: Oh, I'm hanging onto this one for a room scent during the holidays! And I hope it comes back for the upcoming Yule update!

In the vial: I've never been a fan of the drink, but from what I can remember, this smells pretty genuine. There's a lot of vanilla in this, but it's also quite buttery and eggy, which is keeping it from being too sweet. There's a definite alcoholic tinge to this, though I can't tell whether it's the brandy or rum, or both. I'm not getting any nutmeg.

Wet: It immediately turns sweeter, then goes a little plasticy, and then there's the softest hint of mint in the background. Then... it almost disappears, going so faint I can hardly smell it even with my nose pressed to my skin! I'm reminded a bit of Milk Moon, Pink Moon, and Spooky, all in different ways.

Dry: It's even fainter now. How strange that my skin is soaking this up so quickly! What scent is lingering is turning buttery, as my skin tends to do to anything with butter in it (and apparently, some things without butter, though between the rum and cream, I can see where the butter feel is coming from). After a few minutes, the scent grows a little bolder, but maybe this is only because I stopped sniffing it for awhile so my nose had a chance to refresh itself.

An hour later: I knew this would happen: it's become the generic butter smell that anything with a hint of butter turns into, but this time with a strong boozy background, which makes it smell almost exactly like Grog eventually does on me.

Overall: I'm very thankful that I didn't get the chance to buy this unsniffed from the Lab on the Yule update, because it would've been a huge waste of money. Egg Nog just doesn't work on me!

Egg Nog

Was hoping for the real stuff instead of the carton smell--my cousin's grandmother makes it homemade and I wanted to be able to relive my once yearly treat.

First, was difficult to find.

In Bottle: Just like the homemade stuff. Lots of rum notes, creamy scent. Mildly spicy from the nutmeg.

Wet: Same scent as in the bottle.

Dry down: Disappointing. After about ten minutes, it loses the cream, and goes smoky on my skin. Smoke laced with nutmeg, but still.

Lasting power: I couldn't smell this a half hour after I put it on, so I kept reapplying. The boyfriend told me that without reapplying, he could still smell it three hours later, without the smoky addition. This one is a mystery to me.

Creamy sweet. Just got an imp of this, so it's definitely been aged.

Smells to me like a white cake mix. VERY creamy sweet with a hint of nutmeg. No booze at all.

Stayed true to the in the bottle scent through both wet and drydown stages. Didn't last very long - maybe an hour to 90 minutes, then gone.

Interesting, but I am not a foody. This has more of a comfort factor for me. Definitely a childhood holiday/birthday (mine is a week after Christmas) smell to it.

Egg Nog

In the imp: sweet, milky and boozy, almost like Baileys!

Wet on skin: still sweet and the booze note is very pleasant in this. I also get that note that is common to Spooky, Midway and Snow White, that sometimes works well, and at other times can come up as dusty cardboard on my skin…

Dry: hmm, not bad! This is like Spooky without mint and cocoa, or a winter Midway. This has a bit of a darker, caramel like sugar note to it, and the booze notes aren’t overpowering. I also get that lightly dusty note I mentioned that was similar to Midway-and like Midway, I’m afraid this one is also very faint on my skin. Such a shame because this is such a lovely scent, very comforting and the sugary cream note is delightful…reminds me of marshmallows.

After a while: oh goodness…this smells just like marshmallows now! I think there’s also a bit of coconut here. It’s like a more wintery Midway, indeed…whilst that was marshmallows on a fairground stall with candyfloss and coconut ice, this is a warm milky drink with marshmallows melting into it, served with those toasted coconut sweets. It’s so delicious, and I get no booze now-just sugar. The only downside is it’s faintness…

Verdict: this to me, is perfect marshmallows. At first it’s like Baileys, but as the scent progresses, it becomes the scent of coconut covered marshmallows dissolving into a creamy milky drink. This is winter’s Midway, a scent that makes me feels soothed and comforted, the perfect fragrance to curl up with a hot cocoa on a winter’s day. The only downside is, like Midway, this is also quite faint on me-but I just love getting close to my wrist and smelling the fluffy sugary sweetness. If this ever gets reintroduced, maybe next Yule, I’ll need more.

I don't actually drink egg nog, so I wasn't sure what to expect from this blend. And I must say, it smells delicious. Miles beyond what I've smelled of real egg nog, or egg nog lattes, or egg nog milkshakes. It's sweet and creamy and faintly spicy.

There's an odd stage of faintly plastic--I always, always get it with foody scents--but it's very faint, and recedes soon enough.

The scent doesn't last very long on me, but it leaves a lovely echo of sugar and cream on my skin. Yum.

sweet, creamy and spicy. the nutmeg, allspice and vanilla stand out. in the imp, this smells exactly like eggnog, and the scent stays true on my skin. it’s not as rich or buttery as i expected, but that’s ok. my only complaint is that it’s not very strong. i have to apply a lot of it and get really close to be able to smell anything. as i’m just now getting around to trying an imp, maybe the scent faded over time.

This is a wonderful scent...but it reminds me more of frosting than egg nog! (Not a bad thing in my book.)

It smells like vanilla mostly, and it's very creamy and light. I don't get any spices or rum.

I'm glad I got to try it.

To me, eggnog smells like a spicier version of Beaver Moon. I had to try them to compare on each wrist, but while I found that the Beaver mellows out and grows into itself, with eggnog I get a blast of spices and then plastic. Oh well, at least it's just an imp (and I am so glad to have the Beav!).

Wet - Yes! Spiked eggnog!

As it dries - Yum. Rum and brandy tones down and the whole thing mellows; it's very sweet and warm with a bit of foody spice. Smells the way eggnog tastes. Or rather, it smells the way I remember eggnog tasting; it's been a couple of years since I actually drank any. Maybe a run to the grocery store is in order.

Later - Um, yep. Still eggnog! I want to drink my arm.

My rating: 4.5 / 5

It took me a bit to get my hands on a bottle of this, but I am SO glad that I did. I love egg nog, and this is the perfect comfort scent for me. It's incredibly creamy, warm, slightly boozy and spicy vanilla. Snuggly, and also a bit sexy because it's so utterly lickable. This is stays close to my skin, but I'm more than willing to slather it. I'm also thinking of all the wonderful things I could layer with it. If this isn't revisited in the next Yule update, I may have to start selling my soul for more bottles. :P

Oh baby! I have to start by saying that I am not a foody scent girl for the most part. There are very few exceptions. But wowee! Egg Nog is dead on. It has that slight boozy, creamy, nutmeg, vanilla smell to it that's just perfect. Makes my mouth water. I sure wish I could get more of this!

4 out of 5 stars.

This smells very spicy and woody, like sandalwood. Maybe that's the nutmeg?

There's definitely a sweet creaminess there but it's subdued and shy; hiding itself away.

I was hoping this would be richer. :"/ My skin has thwarted me again!

this is nice! i get mostly sweet cream from it and posibly vanilla. i don't like actual eggnog but i just LOVE this scent. beautifull sweet and foody without being too pungent in it's sweetness. this scent rates all of the rave reviews it gets.

Sadly, Nog is Play Doh on me, all the way. The one and only vanilla which isn't on me. It smells lovely in the imp- like Sugar Cookie actually, but less spicy- and then *poof*, it's instant Play Doh. Dammit .Oh well, last thing I need is another LE to hunt down. Glad I got to try it anyhoo.

1 out of 5.

Mmm, so mouth watering from the first smell of the vial. Sweet, strong and delicious like a warm, powerful, creamy egg nog with a touch of spice. On my skin it warms up a little more and changes to become more sweet, but it becomes more reminiscent of an egg flip (sweeter and less alcoholic) but it is still delicious. Though this one fades a little too fast, and I can only detect a small wiff of what it used to be, but perhaps a touch plasticy, on my wrist after a few hours.

Edited by kunoichi

This was a scent that I had been drooling to try. It was very true to the actual drink IMO. It was very creamy and very vanilla. It is a very sweet and intoxicating scent. It got too light however when I put it on my skin and did what some of the oils like to do on my skin....fade. It didn't last very long but it also might be that I didn't really put much on at all. I only put enough to sniff. It is a treat and very, very good though.

Egg Nog - What is it with my skin that just won't retain Egg Nog??? So not fair. This is a lovely, creamy, true egg nog scent. Wet in the bottle, it smells divine. When I first apply it to my wrists, it smells just lovely. Not too heavy like I had anticipated before trying it. But then, within 30 seconds to a minute, I get that "Play-doh" aspect of it that another reviewer mentioned, and within four or five minutes, my skin has completely rejected (or absorbed?) the oil, and POOF! it's gone. Completely gone. No scent at all. Initially, this is a wonderful scent, but after that, as much as I hate giving it a poor review, I really can't figure out a way not to. :P

Edited by edenssixthday

First impression: Wow, a BPAL booze note that actually smells like booze on me! Hellooo brandy! However this fades *very* quickly and out comes vanilla--a very rich, eggy french vanilla, the "warm" est I've yet tried, plus some nutmeg and the warm spice note I associate with my mom's mace-laden holiday bread. I also get the sugar note from Smut, but a little more subtle, less of it. This is kind of similar to Underpants to me, sans the caramelized sugar and musk notes. Vanilla seems to like my chemistry, and this sticks around a good while with medium throw. Very nice!

Edited by bifemmefatale