Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Shollin

Twilight

An enigmatic, otherworldly scent, brimming with power and mystery. Lavender and jasmine, with a touch of glowing honeysuckle.

This one didn't like me at all, which is sad because it was made of 3 of my favorite flowery scents. But instead of complimenting each other, they all seemed to run together into one fused scent... which wasn't pleasing so much as it was STRONG. Even after drying and sitting for a bit.

Sadly, this is not one for me.

Whoo! That's a powerful floral. This is a lacy, wet scent that is equally cool lavender and jasmine, very blue and white and purple. In the back is a sharply sweet, thickly golden floral that is the honeysuckle. This is very much moonrise in an early summer garden.

Yes. Yes. Wet, it's . . . for real, this is the smell of my backyard as a little girl. The honeysuckle comes out, along with this cool smell of evening flowers, and it smells just like that time of night when the sun has set and everything is cooling off with the first night breeze. Gorgeous. Just lovely.

It is a very sweet, very traditional and somewhat old-fashioned floral, so this blend is perhaps not for those who can't wear jasmine or lavender. Surprisingly, though my skin hates lavender, this remained tolerable – it did smell of soap, but the jasmine and honeysuckle kept it sweet enough to be pleasant in spite of that. I'll be keeping this one for the nostalgia alone. Though it doesn't really suit my personality, it's quite gentle and lovely in its own right.

I figure, I'll get the lavender blends out the way in one shot (:

In the imp: Lavender and I guess what is honeysuckle, which makes me think fancy soaps wrapped up in tissue paper with a picture glued over the top of where the tissue paper is scrunched together. It's quite sharp, which I guess isn't helped by having the wand of the imp cap up so close for a first sniff! Better to hold it a little further back from me ... !

Wet on skin: Yep, still lavender, and honeysuckle, now with jasmine! It's not so sharp anymore, which is a good thing!

Dry on skin: Remarkably, this hasn't changed much on my skin ... unfortunately that means that there is still a fair whack of lavender wafting about in the air around me. Lavender and DH are not good friends, this (and what's on my other wrist) are going to have to go away soon ...

Others have said this also - I can imagine this to be a 'make you sleep/relax' blend, but that's if you're not enemies with lavender and/or jasmine and/or honeysuckle. It's quite smooth though in its blending - I don't have to like the notes to appreciate that!

Twilight-

In Bottle: Lavender. Intensely so.

Wet: Bright, plasticky lavender.

Dry: No, this and I aren't going to get along. The lavender is plasticky and noxious for me.

Overall: Not good for me.

I'm not sure if it's the lavender or the honeysuckle but from first applying this till the drydown I get nothing but soap. Wait... it can't be the lavender because I'm still getting a faint lavender note from this... lavender soap.

In the imp, this smells very strongly of jasmine, mostly. I don't smell the lavender at all, though I can make out that touch of honeysuckle if I concentrate.

On me, it's still a fairly heavy floral. I don't like it, I don't dislike it. The jasmine/honeysuckle combo might be a little bit on the strong side for me. It's a little too sweet, almost tipping over the edge into "decay" territory. But not quite. For being so strong, it didn't seem to last that long; mid-morning it was already fading fast.

Not a bad scent, but not one that's exactly inspiring me to wish for a full bottle either.

Lavender, jasmine and honeysuckle, that's all she wrote. :P

I like all three, but the jasmine (as usual - I can't quite give up on jasmine yet, but I may have to,) goes sour and horrid on my skin.

Will be swapping this one, I'm afraid.

Wet: This really reminds me of this lavender lemonade I drink from a tea shop near me. It’s very much that natural sprig of lavender in there that’s hitting me.

Initial drydown: oh god, I reek of lavender. Eek! I mean, I’ll stick through it because hopefully it will die down but damn does lavender smell yucky when oomphed up to this degree. I’m wrinkling my entire face in disgust here. :D

A few moments later: ok, ugh, I can’t keep this on. :P It’s making my eyes tear because the lavender is way too potent. I should have known about how much lavender hates me. People have given me lavender single notes before in lotions, etc., and it always became way too strong on me. And it is happening right here.

Verdict: lavender hates me. I like it in the aromatherapy eye-mask my friend made for me (in which is the actual crumbled flower) but wow does lavender hate to be on my skin. It becomes overly medicinal, bitter, and astringent. Yikes. Ok, I go wash this off now before my eyes tear up too badly. :D

Throw: very strong. I have my arm turned away from me and I only dabbed a tiny bit on my wrist and I’m still tearing up.

Rating: 2/5

Edited by Lunaratu

Too much lavender. I just can't wear floral blends and that's all there is too it. They turn into boring, clashing messes. Alas. :P

Very herbal upon first application, but a low-pitched herbal instead of a high-pitched one. Dark yellow-green instead of light yellow-green. Not floral at all... seems like the stems of these plants instead of the flowers. I’m very puzzled.

Given a bit of time, the jasmine starts coming out, surrounded by a smell like broken plant stems. I thought this would be more peaceful and floral than it is.

Later, the lavender arrives. The jasmine isn’t overpowering my wrist, which is a nice change, but the resulting scent -- lavender, jasmine, and plant stems -- is sort of pale and murky. It’s subtle enough to avoid being annoying, but it doesn’t call to me. It’s pretty, but in a bland, muddy way. Oh well.

At first, this didn't smell too bad. I could smell all three floral notes in it quite distinctly. But after sitting on my skin for about a minute, it went absolutely rancid. I kept waiting on it to dry and hoping it would become nicer but everytime I sniffed my wrist, I recoiled in horror. I finally had to just wash it off. :P

This is the first bpal I've tried with jasmine in it, so I think that's the problem note (especially since I like lavendar and honeysuckle). So, word to the wise, avoid this one if you don't like jasmine! However, if you're a jasmine fan, this might be for you.

the description here holds so much promise for me – i am a lavender fiend.

in the imp - ::swoon:: lavender! sweet florals!

wet – oh my, i am in heaven! a hit of sweet and bright florals, and then running steady and sure underneath, the sharpness of lavender. please make it last, please make it last. . .

dry-down – too often jasmine can run amok and dominate a scent. and honeysuckle can bee too sicky sweet. but here, each keep the other busy so they don’t have time to drown out the lavender. all three end up blending into a perfect balance of calm and peace. not too sweet, not too floral, just right. the only problem is it doesn’t last nearly as long as i would like!

I really like this; it's almost a dead-ringer for Somnium with the lavender and jasmine, but with honeysuckle instead of ylang-ylang so it isn't quite as lush-sweet. I tend to prefer my florals to be mixed with somethings: woods, resins, vanilla, incense, something, but Twilight is really very pretty. I'd certainly recommend it to fans of light florals.

This blend really does evoke twilight: soft, cool, slightly dark, slightly fuzzy around the edges, like Somnium it had a very calming effect on me. This would be a good bedtime aromatherapy oil to have on hand.

In the imp: soapy strong lavender, like Yardley English Lavender soap.

On Skin: For the first ten minutes it's pure overpowering lavender, and then after a while the honeysuckle combines with the lavender, and smells very soapy. There's something very old-ladyish to me about this blend, maybe because of the associations I have with the lavender soap-my grandmother always had lavender soap. The jasmine in this is kind of powdery and diapery and this blend on me just ends up smelling like an old lady's bathroom, not something I want to smell like, but would smell good on someone else. Oh well, I will use up the imp for sleep purposes as the lavender is very soothing to me.

The first thing I smelled when I put this on was the lavender. It doesn’t take long for the jasmine and the honeysuckle to make their appearance. I think I will keep the imp, but I don’t need a big bottle

In the vial:

Jasmine :P

On me:

I'll be honest, once I sniffed the vial, I didn't even want to put this on my skin. And rightfully so, because on me it smells of diapers and cat piss, which is what jasmine does on me. I still get a bitter herbal quality from the lavender, but it's mostly just jasmine doing it's thing on me. It's hateful, destructive thing.

Final note:

If you have problems with jasmine like I do, I would steer clear. If you typically like jasmine, don't be afraid though because jasmine just does NOT work on my skin.

In the bottle: high high flower. I can't smell the lavender or the honeysuckle :P I smell the jasmine but I don't like that much

on me: instant decay. It smell like rotting baby powder :D

I wanted this to work so badly!

Edited by readiness

Imp: WHOA! flowers!! Lavender, especially. I almost choked on it.

Wet: Still lavender and it's way too much for me. I wanted throw, but this is really unpleasant on me.

Dry: More of the same, never changing.

Later: Kinda powdery feeling, but still overpowered with lavender.

Final thoughts: This was one of the first scents that piqued my interest, but now that I'm getting to know the place, I think lavender and I should never come in contact. So sorry. More for someone else to love!

Twilight starts off sweet lavender. As it dries down, the lavender tones down and the honeysuckle comes forward. I can smell a bit of jasmine in the background. I love all three of these floral notes and they are beautiful together in Twilight. Its one of my favourite General Catalogue blends. :P

Very flowery. Smells like grandmas in the bottle, almost intolerable. On my skin, it just smells like lavender soap. It reminds me of motel bathrooms. It doesn't smell too bad now, but not something I would want to wear.

I admit I was a little afraid to try this one because the lab's jasmine and I usually don't get along very well. When wet, a very playful yet slightly biting jasmine comes out and quickly turns to jasmine soap on me. After it dries, it calms down significantly and reminds me of some perfumed locket I had as a little girl when my family lived in the Philippines for a year. Definitely a trip back in time. Very much a bpal jasmine, but not an aggressive, overpowering one. Very nice. :P

This is a very strong, sharp lavendar blend. The jasmine and the honeysuckle are there, but just barely. They sweeten Twilight up a little bit, but it remains almost straight lavendar on me. I do like lavendar blends, but this just doesn't work well on me. It does make me feel a bit sleepy though. :P