Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

Pink rose petals, rose water, sugared carnation, and white cognac.

Let me start by saying that I typically do not love Rose scents. That being said, Die Begierde is beyond lovely. I love carnation and it gives a sight spice to the blend. On me, this is a creamy (pink) spicy and milld (I think the cognac is softening the rose) rose scent. When I tried it, I thought it too rosey, but my husband kept asking to sniff my arm again. Then I caught a whiff of a lovely spiced floral and realized it was this oil. It does amp very differently on different people (very Rose heavy on some others) and I am grateful to amp the carnation and cognac while still getting a hint of Rose. This was my top choice of the night at our lunacy event and is simply beautifully blended and unique!

In the bottle: rose water, sugar, and something sharp and maybe a little sour smelling

Wet: ROSE WATER, not really rose flower-like like 2-5-7, Peacock Queen, Rose Red, or any of those floral roses, this is like a bottle of rose water, but there's this sharp, not quite acrid (cognac?) note to it that I'm not sure how I feel about. It's not an instant turn off, but it makes me pause. The sugared carnation is buried under the rose water, and thankfully (for me) the sugar is pretty light and maybe only contributing to the sharpness.

Dry: Very soft, little powdery (maybe powdery is the wrong word, it's not baby powder of doom at all, but plush, petal soft). The sharp/acrid note has faded away almost completely. There's a little subtle spice in the background from the carnation, but it's faint. This dries down very nice.

I think I like it. The wet phase is a little jarring and maybe a tad harsh - but the dry down is lovely. I may also let it sit for a couple of more days (just got it less than 48 hours ago), also let my nose rest (I'm 1 week out from the flu, so nose is extra sensitive and just getting my smell back) and see how it is in a couple of days.

As another person that does NOT like rose as a general rule, I like this a lot. This is all about that rose water, and a little bit about carnation and cognac. It's definitely sugared--there's a sweetness to this, but not too much. It's not cloying but if you don't like rose water, you're not going to like this. There's a little bit of pink rose to it too... But honestly, it's probably that rose water that pushes it into pink territory. I get more of an almost creamy thing going than powdery, but that traditional lab cream note does not agree with me, so it's definitely not that. Honestly, I love this.

Edit to add: this has great throw and staying power. Nothing quiet about it.

Editing to add part 2: the cognac in my bottle is definitely coming out now--this is not a simple rose scent. It does have something that's boozy and almost sour to it, but it's very compelling.

Edited by MischiefofRats

In the bottle: sugared rose water. It's dainty but not faint, if that makes sense. I get a similar sugared rose water note in Nasty Woman, but this is much more prominent.

Wet: Rose water, but even rosier. Sweet, with a little spicy carnation making it's way in. Here it reminds me a bit of High Strung Daisies.

Dry: I catch a whiff of the cognac, it's very similar to a cognac essential oil I've sniffed before. Fresh and green, but also rich and deep. Surrounding it is sweet pink roses and spicy carnation. Very feminine, but the cognac keeps it sophisticated instead of an all-out sugary girlish floral.

I love rose, and have many bottles with rose... and I have learned it's either a hit or miss for me. This one was a miss. :cry2: :cry2: First sniff, it was WHOA ROSE! It's quite strong dark rose, and I think maybe the carnation combined with the rose was not working for me. I didn't bother trying it.

Lots of rose! Every so often I catch a softer floral , and that might be the carnation. There's something sweet grounding it - maybe the cognac? Pretty, but not too different from my other rose scents.

On the wand: Rose-watered cognac! The note that seems to be the cognac is reading very funky to my nose.

Wet on my skin: Pink rose water and boozy cognac. And something very funky. It seems to come from the cognac note, but I can’t tell. It’s not good.

Dry on my skin: The funk partially settles, and I get pink rose-watered cognac. I can see how this would be a beautiful and unique scent for someone else, but although I love many rose blends, this one is not for me.

Okay, so this one smells like wet OLIVES. WHAT?! I'm not loving the booze note and i'm questioning whether I even want to try it. Yah, I don't like this one. The cognac really smells like black olives to me with a bit of sour rose. Washing this one off. PASS~

Edited by Jenjin

This is very boozy on me, so I'm definitely getting the cognac! The background is all sugared flowers and candy, with a distinct rosewater note as well. This is more foody than I would have expected, but not in a too cloying way. Maybe a *little* bit too sweet, perhaps, because it feels like the booziness really amps the sugariness in this.

Overall, it's a fun and festive springtime scent that would work well for a quirky tea party (with spiked tea, of course!) around a table covered with mountains of rosewater macaroons and sugar pastries.

Wet: Sugared rose and carnation. This is way sweeter a floral scent than I would ordinarily wear, but it kind of works. A faint alcoholic bite from the cognac makes this more complex.

Dry: This is the rose I always want from a rose scent, even though I don't wear them much. It's much more ~pink in its way than I usually go for as well, but something here is just working for me, the first scent from the Pickmans this year that has. A really excellent and well-blended floral. I don't know if I need a full bottle, but I'm definitely keeping my decant.

Pink rose water, sugared cognac. This definitely smells like rosewater. Pink rosewater to be precise. Good throw and wear length.

This is so exquisite. Rose is a note I'm picky about. I like it b/don't LOVE it, and often it goes sour on my skin. This though. THIS.

Beautiful, full, sweet rose, with a luxurious, creamy darkness about it. It stays true on my skin and laaaasts. It's perfumey, but not in the way rose so often is. It's like what some rose loving silver screen diva would have on her dressing table. I compared it to Hope, b/c I think the rose has a similar, soft sweetness, but Die Begierde's fuller and more elegant. It actually reminds me of a discontinued tea I used to love, Marzipan Delight, that was almonds, black tea, rose petals, and brown sugar crystals. I might actually need a 2nd bottle of this. Can you tell I like it? 5 billion stars. :heart:

I got this as a decant from a Luper circle, and this ended up being I think the only decant I got from The Devil's Lovers that I ended up keeping. It's lovely!

First Sniff Impression: Very light, pink rose. Delicate Victorian.

Wet in Vial: Very light, "pink" rose with the sugar to sweeten it, though I don't get carnation or cognac yet.

Drying Down on Skin: I think I can almost get the carnation drying down, because it's still rose and floral but not so absolutely rose now. The carnation makes it slightly "greener."

Dry on Skin: Dry, this is a very pretty rose scent, more what I would be looking for in a rose than some of the other BPAL roses that are just RED ROSE IN YOUR FACE. It's very light and fresh. More like rosewater than actual roses.

Conclusion: This scent is really pretty. I think I'll keep it for the mere fact that I do like rose and have yet to find a BPAL rose scent that doesn't amp up to unbearable on me. However, I feel like I should like it more than I do. Maybe it's because it's something I would've loved as a kid, and thought it was very "grown up" smelling. But for me now, it's a little too "pretty" and almost simple. But it's still very nice!

this smells very very pink. roses & rosewater and sugared carnation are there. the cognac seems more subtle. there is something sour which is likely the roses or the rosewater...kind of like the scent of dying roses. thankfully, after about 10 minutes, the sourness is gone. it becomes primarily a sugared rose with cognac. it is a bit reminiscent of hope but it's bolder and more rosy than hope is (from memory.)

Out of all the lupers, I think I was most impressed with this upon first sniff in the bottle. Keep in mind, I'm not much of a rose person, but the blend is so interesting and in your face. I think the cognac was a really interesting addition.

Wet: wet sugared roses, carnations. Perhaps a tiny bit of wood in the background. Could be from whatever barrels the cognac was aged in

Dry: sweet, woody rose. This doesn't hit me like most rose does where it gives me a headache, I think having it sweet is necessary for me to enjoy it. I do enjoy Solstice Scents Rose-Sugared Cardamom, and this is along those lines. This is a bit more rosy than Rose-Sugared Cardamom, but still really nice.

Beautiful scent! I was hesitant about this one because I typically stay away from any booze notes (specifically rum and champagne). Thankfully the cognac note in Die Begierde is not noticeable on my skin.

In the decant: Rose water and sugar. There is a slight creamy/smooth quality to the rose.

On the skin dry: Sweet pink rose water with cream and a tiny touch of carnation. This reminds me a lot of the hard French rose candies (by Les Anis de Flavigny) I used to have as a child. If you loved Lucy's Boudoir Atmosphere Spray, you will love Die Begierde!

This may be my new favorite rose scent! It has medium throw and the rose stays on my skin all day. No headaches, no sour notes, no soap, no artificial smell. :wub3: This one is a winner!

Edited by VioletVorpal

I love rose scents. And I love carnation! So this was an instant purchase, back when this round of Lupers landed.

Others have noted that its almost more like rose water than of proper rose, and the carnation only adds a delicate spiciness, not a full blown spice.

Generally I like it. I'm not tipped all the way into love, but I like it!

This is unlike anything I have worn before. The cognac note smells very realistic in the bottle. Once it hits my skin, though, it becomes (for lack of better words,) savory, or umami. It's the darndest thing! Rose is present, but playing second fiddle to cognac's unexpected virtuoso performance. Even better, cognac appears to stop my skin from turning carnations into cloves! An unusual & fascinating scent.

Source: Empty frottle from a swap! With just enough to test :)

Sniff: Sweet tea and roses.

Skin: Oh muh gawd. Sugar tea rose. Dreamy dreamy dreamy.

Dry: Creamy and spicey. Rose and Carnation battle for the lead, with Cognac spurring them both on. UGH THIS IS HEAVEN. All three of these scents usually amp on me, and they seem to be unable to win each other out. So it turns out as a ... LOUD Beautiful romance dancing between delicate rose and sensual carnation and honey-sweet cognac, with a creamy delicious base. I'm drooling.

Verdict: Rose Jam Jello Shots

... Damn now I have to hunt down imps to fill this bottle with.

Edited by Aveya

Wow. Love this one. Lush rose and cognac -- a note I always adore -- what a pair! And then a touch of spicy carnation sends it over the top.  Tremendous throw.  Will get a bottle if it ever comes back around.

Die Begierde is strongest on the rose water and rose (I get more of the pink rose than the red) on me, backed by the sugared carnation, which is a red variety with a slight spice to it. I only get a splash of cognac. I tend to amp carnation notes, but the carnation is never able to completely overtake the rose here, even though it does its best to cozy up to it. The sugared aspect of the carnation makes me think of Muse of Fire (going off memory -- I no longer have any to sniff and I destashed that one), although this one has different/less floral notes.

I'm really glad that I got to try this one as I skipped the 2017 Luper update while I was living in Germany and had been interested in trying this one. But I do not think I'd reach for it over other rose scents in my collection.