Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
ClockworkMoM

Kitten with Shamisen Daydreams of a Phallus Palanquin

Rice milk, white musk, and pear.

I was intrigued by this one, but pear can sometimes be too sweet for me. In this case, it was. The pear and creamy rice milk amped on me, with the musk not quite emerging (I was hoping it would smooth/mellow out the pear). It is a lovely blend for those that enjoy sweet creamy fruit blends.

First on, this is very distinct pear and rice milk notes. I couldn't really smell the musk and the other two weren't really blending although they were both lovely single notes. However, after about 5-10 minutes this morphed.

This is a really light and beautiful scent. Really ethereal without being too flightly if that makes sense. The pear gives it a tinkling shining quality but the soft milk really ground it - makes it slightly more of being a 'skin scent'. The white musk came out as well and is a good bridge between the other two notes.

This is just really really pretty and it doesn't fade quickly like some of the lighter scents often do on me. Definitely a keeper for me although I think it will just be for special occasions.

I am a sucker for pear scents, so this was an instant blind bottle. I have had issues with milk scents in the past, but I was hoping that rice milk would work out better, and I am not disappointed!

The pear in this starts out bit sharp, and almost hollow feeling, but the rice milk quickly comes out and smooths things over. It's a lovely creamy almost vanilla pear scent. I am hoping that the musk comes out more with aging, since this feels like it could use just a bit more depth. Even so, it is a sparkling, wispy and very pretty scent. Not much throw, which makes it perfect to wear for work.

ETA: Three months of aging has made all the difference. The musk is definitely more apparent, which I love, as white musk is one of my favorite scents. All three notes are readily apparent and perfectly blended. The threow is a bit stronger now, but still appropriate for daytime wear. It would probably also be a great sleepytime scent, it is so warm and comforting.

Right up into my top ten!

Edited by Wench457

Kitten with Shamisen Daydreams of a Phallus Palanquin is more foodie than I expected. I was hoping the musk and pear would be dominant but the creamy rice milk note is definitely the strongest. It reminds me of.... Drink Me. The milk is creamy with a hint of pepper in the background. I don't know why but I get a slight pepper in a lot of foodie scents.

Anywho, I'm not getting a strong pear, hardly any at all actually. There is a sweetness that I know is the pear because it's listed in the notes but not strong enough for me to immediately identify it. A little more musk than pear but not a lot.

All in all, this is a very light, sweet milky (and not much else) scent.

On the wand: A glistening pear is strongest, followed by white musk and rice milk about equally.

On my skin: The pear is no longer strongest, or at least by as much. It lasts only a short time on my skin, though.

This smells simpler and cleaner to me than Maiko with Hair Unbound, and perhaps not as sweet. It’s also a little powdery on me, which I don’t get from Maiko. White musk sometimes goes powdery on my skin, but this might also be the rice milk powder from Moon Reflected in Every Rice Paddy HG, which has a creamy malted rice thing going on to me that I seem to be getting here.

Overall, the blend is delicate, ethereal.

PEAR MUSK MEOW~ The first few minutes of this are fresh pear with a musk finish.
It's a velvety smooth finish on my skin, with a tiny bit of tang.
The Rice Milk makes is all creamy while the musk adds a touch of sexy "scratch".

Clean and fresh overall, unfortunately the way the pear mixes with the white musk in the drydown, not sure how wearable it is for me. I like it, but the sudsy milky finish is not mixing well with this kitten. fft HISS

Edited by Jenjin

I love The Perilous Parlor, so I was curious how close this would be to it. Instead of the sweet vanilla, we get rice milk that isn't cloying at all, but actually feels rather fresh and not entirely unlike vanilla. If there is a musk in there, it is very subdued on me.

The pear is sweet, but very subtle, as is the entire blend.

I feel like I am all set as far as pear scents go, but I really like this, and it feels calming and sweet.

Overall, I feel like this is an Asian Perilous Parlor :)

In the imp: Very strong pear, it kind of smells like banana candy?

Wet: rice milk and very ripe banana. Why?

Dry: soft white musk and creamy rice milk with light, fresh pear.

This dries down nicely but the wet stage has been so weird. But it is a nice soft spring scent. It doesn't go too foody or clean.

Very pretty scent! I've never tried any bpal with pear or rice milk before. White musk is usually very generic perfumey on me. The rice milk and pear balance the white musk perfectly!

In the decant: Very sweet pear! It reminds me of juicy pear Jelly Belly beans.

On my clean skin: Pear and rice milk with a hint of white musk. The white musk makes it feel more elegant instead of foodie.

10 minutes later: The pear and the rice milk almost make a shea butter-like scent. Very creamy and gentle. The pear is definitely the dominant note. Low throw, stays close to the skin.

I really enjoy this scent. It would be great on warm, sunny days!

In the imp/wet - Fresh/sweet, creamy, doesn't smell much like pear to me but maybe asian pear is different from the pear I'm used to.

Freshly Applied - white musk and light, fruity-floralness (still not the amazing Bartlett pear type scent from The Vine that i was hoping for). This smells very clean, like a scented hand soap

Fifteen minutes in - tingly/fizzy white musk and Dial "fresh pear" foaming hand soap (I think there's a hint of something creamy underneath, but I may just be imagining it because of the "rice milk" in the description). This doesn't sound like an endorsement, but it's a very fresh, clean, almost effervescent smell that's nice, but not very me.

Two Hours in - still clean/fresh, slightly fizzy pear handsoap, but now with a noticeable creamy element to it. By the late drydown (6 or so hours in), the white musk and asian pear have faded entirely and only the rice milk is left as a deliciously creamy-yet-light/soft base note. I'd buy this for sure if it was like that the entire time, but as it is I think I'll pass on getting a bottle.

Origin: Straight from the Lab

Initial Thoughts: I have a few pear scents I love, like Juliet and The Perilous Parlor. I can do white musk without it amping to unbearable levels. I have a couple of scents with rice-related notes that I like. Why not?

In the Bottle: Very pear. Fresh pear with maybe a dash of the rice milk.

Wet: Still pear, but the rice milk is stronger now. We'll see how much the musk amps. There's a baby-like innocence to it now.

Drydown: The musk comes out, but mainly grounds the scent and makes it a little more sophisticated instead of foody. This one does stay close to the skin.

Verdict: This is likely a keeper.

Bright pear, creamy rice milk, and a touch of white musk. It ends up being whiter and muskier than I intended. White musk isn't generally a note that I'm fond of, but the milk and pear almost mask it. Good throw and wear length.

All three listed notes are pretty glorious on my skin, so I am puzzled about Kitten's actual performance. Once this has settled on my skin, it blends seamlessly and is quite nice. But to get there, I have to make it through the wet stage and the initial drydown, and in that sense there is something, well, off about this. It's the same kind of undertone I get when a bottle of carrier oil has just started to turn rancid. In this case, the pear note in particular seems to be, well, not quite spoiled, but just on the wrong side of over-ripe.

Initially I get a juicy pear with a sort of floral tone that I think comes from the white musk. The rice milk comes out more as it dries, making the pear creamy instead of juicy- it almost reads as vanilla and pear to me. The white musk sticks to the background and doesn't get soapy at all on me, just grounding the scent and giving it more of a "perfume" feeling and less of a foodie one.

It lasts a while on me with a low to medium throw. Personally I think I might slather it more the future, since I'd like more throw throughout.

Overall, I enjoyed it and could definitely see myself using up my decant.

Sweet and soft - dreamy and a little fuzzy, but otherwise nothing spectacular. It's a little too simple, and the pear too subtle.

Caramel-y pear. Dreamy indeed! However cream hasn't worked on me before (always ends up smelling like trash on drydown, damn you skin!!) and while it could be worse here, it reminds me alltogether of laundry detergent. It started out lovely though!!

This shouldn't have been this good on me. White musk is iffy, pear can go fake on my skin. But wrap them together with sweet, creamy rice milk and this is a dream! (of a phallus palanquin...) A light, creamy, springtime scent with surprising staying power. Wet it's pear and rice milk, and the musk comes in on drydown to ground them, but frankly I had forgotten it was white musk. I was thinking something along the lines of golden musk.

I wore this to yoga today, thinking (like most Shungas on me) that it would have no throw and was pleasantly surprised that I could smell it wafting around as I moved (I managed to get my wrists near my face more than was actually called for by the instructor ;)). This is a delight, and it's making me that much more eager for this year's Shungas to arrive!

In bottle:  Heavenly pear floating in a gentle sea of musk and milk.  It's exquisite and comforting. Wet:  Even more pear on the skin, but milk remains strong and the musk grows stronger as it warms. I really do adore this.  Dry: Mostly milk with a touch of musk.

This is, excuse the pun, dreamy! In the decant, it's mostly all rice milk and musk. Very sweet and creamy. On the skin, the pear comes out sharply before settling down and mingling with the rice milk and musk in a very soft, wispy scent. A previous reviewer said it reminds her of shea butter, and I definitely get that, as well. In the end, it's a light, wispy, creamy pear that is very fresh and sweet. It's somehow both innocent and sophisticated. 

As a rule, fruit BPALs and I have a fraught relationship. This is a challenging one for me because it's so beautiful.. I couldn't tell it was pear upon application, but it is dominant, light happy trills of rice milk and pear slowly calming and blending with the white musk into a still very sweet scent but a more harmonious chord without the touch of jangly pear at the front. I will not seek a bottle... yet.... 

Edited by ND¢