Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
VioletChaos

Nasty Woman

Nasty Woman: black fig and patchouli, filthy bourbon vanilla, honeyed amber oud, and loukhoum.

In the bottle: Patchouli up front, something musky (the oud?), and deep down, the round sweetness of the fig.

On my skin:

Wet, it's patchouli and fig in equal amounts, with patchouli very quickly snatching the dominant role. At this stage, it's earthy and almost smoky.

Ultimately, the fig does come out to play a little bit on me, but overall, the blend remains a sweet, smoky scent.

Sadly, it's not a scent that's quite "me" so I don't have occasion to use Nasty Woman all that much.

On me, Nasty Woman starts off strong on the black fig and black patchouli, with some of the honeyed part of the honeyed amber oudh. I get a bit of the rose water part of the loukhoum once dry, but after a while, it's all about the black fig, black patchouli, and the oudh. The vanilla is barely there on me, trying to smooth things over. This is a very dark scent with strong throw and great staying power.

This isn't something I could see myself wearing as I tend to prefer scents with more sweetness to them, but I am really glad that I was able to try it! :)

Wet: Fig overpowers everything, with an interesting bourbon scent.  Figs soaking in spirits- it's probably the honey amber scent.

Dry: The fig dies down and the amber and vanilla come forward, with a subtle earthy spice that must be the patchouli. They all mix very well together.  The overall power of the scent also backs off a bit, not strong but not subtle either.

I was pleasantly surprised by this blend! I was wary about purchasing without sampling, but I knew the money would be going to two good organizations.

Damn. I got this when it first came out and it was super patch heavy. I destashed it bc i dunno marie kondo or something and regretted it. New bottle: no patch just an insanely light fig note with vanilla. Whyyyy

I managed to grab an older bottle and its just how i remembered it. Im not letting this one go again

Edited by Vaporeon

I received this as a frimp and was super excited to see it, because I was interested when it came out and somehow got distracted or forgot about it for a while. Yet here it is!

In the vial it is a very incense and kind of expensive perfume blend. I can smell the patch, but it's not hippie patch.

Wet on me this did something really odd, going very sweet and high to the point I was afraid it had opium in it. Opium is one of those notes I like on others but that gives me a screaming headache on my own skin. So I looked this up again and decided to give it time to settle when it wasn't listed. This is probably the only BPAL scent I've worn with anything rose in it that didn't just die an ignominious death to everything BUT rose. I can't smell that at all.

Dry, it smelled like expensive women's perfume, something a bit more commercial than I'd choose for myself, but nice. As excited as I was to try it, I'm left glad I didn't do a bottle. It's just not for me.

Today I learned that letting bottles/imps rest a bit really does work. When I got my decant a few weeks ago, I tried it on right away and was not a fan -- too heavy on the patchouli and amber. After a few weeks of letting the decant sit, I like the results a lot better now -- the patch and amber are still there, but are background players, giving a little grounding to what is mostly a jammy fig and lokum sweetened with bourbon vanilla. The patch and amber aren't too aggressive, but they keep the scent from getting overly sweet. Need to test a few more times to see if I need a bottle, but I'm here for both the concept and the cause.

This was my introduction to BPAL. It came up as a FB ad and I was immediately drawn to the name and the notes. I wore it daily for some time and still have half a bottle left. As I "discovered" more BPAL scents and this forum, I decided to check it out again. I originally bought it in 2016, so it's now aged 4 years.

The smell has mellowed, particularly the patchouli. It's still there, just doesn't punch you in the face as it did when I first tried it. Someone above mentioned a tobacco scent, and thought it must be the fig since there is no tobacco note mentioned. I heartily agree. There's a very dried fig chewiness to this that is SO similar to tobacco. 

As I have aged, my taste in scents has changed and I now tend to shy away from heavy scents like patchouli and oud, but there's such a sense a of nostalgia for me with this one, well beyond 2016. It really takes me back to 1996, when at 20 years old I was fucking hippie boys, wearing dreadlocks and smoking too much weed. I'll wear this sparingly, when I need to cry with the ache of long memories.

I have been away from BPAL for a few years while life got in the way, but when I finally returned to the forum.. this was the first thing I tracked down! 

What I was hoping for - a gnarly fig and patchouli mix all sweet, chewy and rich.. a hearty, syrupy vanilla.. a dusty, dry, woody amber and hopefully no overpowering honey or rose. I think I was taking the ‘nasty’ literally and expecting this to be a kickass blend. 

What I got - a soft, honeyed patchouli. It’s very dry and dusky on my skin, rather than rich and gnarly. I’m getting a slight smokey wood base from the oud, no rose, and only the slightest hint of the vanilla and the fig. Thankfully the honey is mellowed nicely here by the amber and patchouli - it actually reminds me a lot of my beloved Amber and Patchouli hair gloss, but sweeter. And to me, the patchouli here feels more golden than red or black so the throw is soft/warm rather than earthy/dark/warm. 

So as a patchouli fiend I’m kind of disappointed that this isn’t the gnarly, chewy, syrupy goodness I was hoping for - but also I’m kind of happy to have this soft and sweet patchouli blend in my collection, for those days when I want to be a snuggly hippie rather than a stinky one. Definitely a keeper! 

Resting changed this one a lot - when the bottle was fresh, it was powerful patchouli and a bit of bourbon vanilla. Now, after sitting on the shelf for a few months, it's a lot less 'nasty' and more 'pleasant', and has been moved from the 'statement' shelf (Talvikuu, Woman as Dragon) to the 'femme' shelf (Rose Red, A-Rovin', Rabbit Moon). The patch still comes on strong when wet, but after a few minutes, relaxes in to the background, leaving sweet fig and vanilla in the foreground. I don't really get rose from the loukhoum, but in retrospect there's a touch of almond. Overall, it's sweet, vaguely fruity, and grounded - my partner commented that it seemed 'right' on me, despite being different from the atmospheric/woody/green scents I tend to wear (October, Fenris Wolf, Believe), which I'm taking as an endorsement.

doubt ye not that there's rose in that loukhoum, became i amp it to the high heavens, and i emphatically Do Not Like It.  it's a shame, because this seemed like the kind of thick, sweet, chewy patchouli blend that i could really sink my teeth into. 

The fig, vanilla and patchouli all blends so beautifully. It's a truly winning combo and works great in fall. I haven't worn this in a few years but it's as rich and comforting as I remember.

Suprisingly light throw.

I did not expect this to be so perfumey. It’s a very perfumey patchouli. It’s actually a lot more beautiful and less dirty than I imagined!

I want to say the fig is giving it that fancy quality. The honey is so light and ever so sweet but not in a foodie way. Definitely agree above that it’s fig/fruity/patchouli first and foremost. 

It’s nice!

Oh, if nasty women smell like this I definitely want to be one! It's lovely. 

Wet this is mostly fig and patchouli, but kinda pleasant and beautiful way. 

As drying the fig steps aside giving way to vanilla and then something magical happens. Vanilla, patchouli and oud(?) blends together to utterly magnificent, beautiful smoky perfume. This is divine. Not too sweet, not too heavy, just perfect. Lasts easily over eight hours.