Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

Sugared peony and rose-tinted vanilla with mallow, white musk, lavender buds, and a touch of apricot.

This unicorn starts off with a delicious mix of lavender (sweet & powdery, not herbal), vanilla, and mallow. It's a fluffy purple cloud of a scent that reminds me of a sweeter version of TKO. After a while, the scent smoothly morphs to a sugary, musky pink floral. I never picked up on apricot, but perhaps that will come with settling/age. Edited by TheIceMaiden

I adore this so much.

sugared, candied peony and lavender with a touch of white musk that makes it smell sophisticated. The apricot is only there slightly and I don't mind it. It's stunning and innocent and like the review above states, it's fluffy. Toward the dry down the rose vanilla definitely makes it's presence known and I am left with a pink peony, rose-y marshmallow cloud of delight. So glad I got a bottle.

This starts off floral - but, floral-hater that I am, I love it. It's not sharp; rather, it's oh so so very soft, with white musk-marshmallow mellowing it out, teaming up with a cozy lavender (that reminds me of Lilith Victoria and Meus Amor Aeternus) softening those flowers into beautiful velvetty petals. I don't get any apricot. Far into the dry down, the florals have gone away and I'm left with a white musk and marshmallow scent rather like a musky Stekk. I love the whole ride :D

In the bottle, De Vos' Unicorn smells like sugary vanilla mallow with a little floral coloring, and wet on my skin it's the same. This is pure and delicious-smelling, addictive, fluffy, creamy-sweet vanilla and flowery marshmallow. I smell lavender -- not harsh or aromatic here -- and a little peony and rose. The flowers are subtle on me. I only find a trace of warming apricot, barely there, and not there at all sometimes.

De Vos dries into a sugared lavender-vanilla marshmallow, very close to the skin, sweet and comforting.

This is a beauty and I want all of my skin to give this off in a cloud. De Vos bath oil, stat.

This is the unicorn token child. Favored and rightfully so! It's everything pleasant, so lovely, the scent of contentment and joy. Oh.., real description? It's sweet, floral, hint of white gourmand notes. Lavender and sugared peonies settle into another.., the aromatic sweetness of apricot dances w the white musk and pink rose infused mallow.

Apple of my eye.., beginning to finish. Polite throw long silage. I love her so.

Blind Bottle Purchase from the lab.

IN THE BOTTLE:
Fresh, sugared floral with a very slight creaminess. Wet, FAT PINK.
WET:
Sweet, opening giant blossom shaking with dew under fat, sparkling clouds.
DRY:
Pure, unadulterated Peony blossoms, with very slight mallow. The apricot is slight and the lavender is wafting through with an "herbal" note.
NOTES:
I do not get any gourmand from this. If you're looking for a gourmand mallow like Stekk, you are going to be disappointed. The mallow here is rooty and earthy. This Unicorn is a pure and crystalline fresh, pink floral. And it is the first time I have experienced any fragrance that duplicates what it's like to sink your face into an amazing Peony blossom and BREATHE. De Vos' is so beautiful, magical~tossing stars left and right. Whinny Whinny Slay!!!!!

:wub2:

Edited by Jenjin

I admit I was really worried about this since I'd seen the word "powdery" in preliminary reviews. While this does have that baby-like quality, it's a more gentle powder, like the scent of a newborn's head. Sound weird? Probably, but hopefully that conveys the meaning. This is peony and vanilla straight out of the bottle and the mallow dances through it, making it creamy and youthful, almost like a fairy tale. This is perhaps the most evocative of the mythical creature the series is named after - I can envision a beautiful white unicorn perfectly on a summer's day. Really, really beautiful... an early favorite, for sure (to the point where I feel like I need a back up bottle now!)

This will definitely be super popular. it smells sweet, pink, and fluffy. there's a note i can only describe as almost having a dash of static electricity about it which sometimes pops up in these fluffy scents. i get it in araña as well. that's in here. rather than a fully smooth, creamy kind of fluff, it's this richer fluff that's innocent yet somehow *slightly* mysterious or otherworldly. i don't detect any one flower over another - it's just fluffy, pink, sweet, and you can tell it contains florals. i guess i can pick out the rose a bit more than the others, but i hesitate to say that, because it really is only rose TINTED as described - the rose isn't loud or stealing the show or anything. It's basically just what I'd hoped it would be and it's really pleasant - I would say I definitely like it - but it might prove to be too strong and girly for me to actually wear on its own for a full day or evening. i like scents that are neither girlish nor mature, but are still feminine, as though they might be worn by an elf or an Aes Sedai, belonging to no age group. this one leans just a bit girlish, although i could see it working as almost a young Aes Sedai still working on her ageless face, as opposed to a giggling middle schooler. regardless of whether or not it turns out to be for me, i give it at LEAST a solid 8.5/10 for what it is.

I recommend for fans of Araña, Love, Pink Snowballs, Mouse's Long and Sad Tale, Serving Fish, Stekkjarstaur, Rosy Maple, and basically all sweet, pink scents.

In the bottle and wet I get a touch of dry lavender, and in the wet stage I get sweet apricot. Surrounding is a very sweet peony with a touch of fluffy mallow. As it dries I'm enveloped in a pink fluffy marshmallow cloud. It's heavenly! Not too sweet, and has great throw. Much better than Stekk has on me.

Pink Sugar put her tushy over the fire lol.First thought, toasty marshmallow. Then the white Musk appears, sweetening the Rose and the peony while the vanilla swirls its warm richness through it all. The lavender is just enough to keep it perfectly grounded. I would love a tiny bit more apricot, it's barely there. But I will say this I generally don't like that marshmallow food type of fragrance and I really don't like roses and peonies but I can't stop sniffing myself and I'm thinking I really do need a bottle of this. It's definitely soft and warm and innocent and maybe a little sexy at the same time. I kind of love it!

Edited by kmasden

In the bottle, the sugared peony and rose are what I smell most.

Wet: Vanilla. Sugar. Floral.

Dry: Lavender comes out to play, and that mallow note picks up a bit. This is iridescent pink and purple floof. It smells beautiful, soft, shining, sweet and innocent. I don't get the powderiness others have mentioned, it just goes creamy on my skin.

This is what you'd imagine a fairy tale would smell like. It's just so danged fluffy that I could die. Lol.

Edited by SunsetKay

Fruity, soft lavender with peony's sweet, fresh, pink spring floral tones dancing around it. The white musk and vanilla mallow give it a sparkly, airy quality on my skin, without really smelling too much like sweet vanilla or marshmallows. De Vos is mainly floral on my skin, not noticeably vanilla-y or foodie. After two hours, I'm left with a nondescript spring floral scent and powdery lavender.

Lavender, peony, touch of musk and apricot. So, softer than I expected. I do get a fair bit of lavender, and it makes me think of a softer and dreamier TKO.

Unfortunately this has almost no staying power on me. Like two hours later and its gone.

Love all of the notes in this on their own. Not sure about the lavender, as I usually only enjoy wearing it to bed. But I couldn't resist.

Wet: Very sweet, sugary florals. Reminds me a wee bit of Fluttering Peonies Bath Oil in the first few seconds. But it's morphing as it dries, and becoming more of a sugary vanilla, a bit marshmallowy, touched by florals. NUM. Oh, this is what happiness smells like. Oh yes. Resisting slathering more of it all up my arm. Praying is doesn't decide to randomly turn to plastic. The sweet pea tricks my nose into thinking there's a wee bit of fruit in here.

Dry: Vanilla sugar, with hints of creamy pink florals. Totally girly and innocent, without feeling childish. Does a pretty good job of capturing the feeling of "unicorns" in general. Stekk meets Serving Fish, maybe? It's good. You should likely try it if you like sweet florals with vanilla.

De Vos' Unicorn is so fun. The sugared peony, rose-tinted vanilla, and apricot send this into sweet fruity-floral territory, with the white musk grounding and blurring, and the lavender adding a spike of something herbaceous and slightly astringent. I get zero marshmallow from this—the listed note is mallow, a plant/flower. That said, the sweetness from the sugared peony and apricot do give the impression of a confection...but at least for me, this is more 'sugared bouquet' than 'floral marshmallow'.

This is sweet enough that I'll need to be in the right mood to wear this, but it's a keeper. I think it would be tough to wear this and be in a bad mood!

This is a perfume that I keep sniffing, and then letting out a deep and calming sigh.

This is so pretty, vanilla and sugared florals in the best way. The peony is just breathtaking, and the rest of the floral notes are perfectly balanced. I smell so pink!

This is such a pretty, happy smell.

A SUGARY ROSE. A CANDIED ROSE, a perfect, delicious, pretty, pink rose! Settles down to a cuddly, slightly rosy vanilla. No complaints! Super cute, delectable, and balanced.

there is something sharp and white in this to my nose. I am going to have to guess the peony which I ignored in notes list {it goes terribly wrong on me}. It has an asian vibe I guess like water snake? Peony :ninja:

the sharpness is not unpleasant--it lasts all day and smells good. Intriguing really. I sniff it and go hmmm. It is sweet but not sugary and pink with something there keeping me from pigeonholing it. I do have an overwhelming urge to pull out my great vampire bat which also has that sharp high pitched feel to it due to orchid. They are not the same but de vos calls GVB to my mind. I have spent the week wondering where my bottle of GVB is so I can see if I need DV but regardless, knowing me, I do

Not bad, not great. This is kind of similar to Solstice Scents' Rose Mallow Cream.

It has that nice, marshmallow fluffiness and vanilla in the base, overlaid with a smooth floral note.

However, where RMC's rose is very chill and does indeed feel sugared, BPAL's is always powerful on me regardless of what it's put in.

De Vos starts out soft and cuddly, but as time passes the rose just builds and builds to that sharp, rich rose I've grown accustomed to.

It's not always a bad thing; for example, I think the heaviness works great in a blend like Beauty, the Aggrieved.

But here the contrast is just too much for me. I also don't get any of the peony/lavender/apricot, which may have helped calm it down a bit.

To me, this is a lovechild of Sugar Plum Fairy and TKO. Gorgeous, sweet, vanilla-marshmallow-peony with a soft, calming dusting of lavender. I don't get any rose, and I usually amp that note to the high heavens.

It's my favourite peony scent by BPAL for sure, and my favourite BPAL scent this year. I got one for one of my best guy friends and he's also obsessed. It's stunning. I think I need another bottle or two of this!!!

Edit to add that the drydown of this is similar enough to Antique Lace that I'm probably going to hoard this like crazy. The throw isn't as much, but it waffles and lingers in much the same way, too. LOVE this, going to get at least three more...

Get this if you like sugary florals like Mouse's LST, Antique Lace, Sugar Plum Fairy, TKO, Butterflies Flowers and Jewels Attending, and Hope & Faith!

Edited by Amoraexcena

On me this is mostly peony and foody marshmallow-vanilla. If I try really hard I get just a hint of rose and lavender. Very light, sweet, pink, fresh, and artificial/dryer sheets to my nose. I was expecting this to be a winner as I like most of the notes, but I don't think I'm a peony fan. My loss will be someone else's gain!

In the imp/wet - Foodie-adjacent apricot musk

Five-fifteen minutes in - fluffy/velvety apricot and peony, with the white musk making it softer/hazier. I get a bit of vanilla from this, but not the sugary/creamy/marshmallow-y sweetness some people seem to be getting, and very little rose. Very low throw, but if I put my nose next to my wrists, I get soft clouds of a gentle pillowy-soft my-skin-but-better scent (I think another reviewer described it as being what a white unicorn's fur would smell like, and it totally is).
Drydown/Hour-and-a-half in - The apricot has receded, and now I get primarily a gentle, barely-there vanilla musk with a slight fruity cast to it. The wearlength is slightly longer than I expected considering how faint it is - I keep thinking it's gone, only to sniff again ten/fifteen minutes later and still catch faint traces of it. De Vos has extremely low throw on me, which is a shame, because I'd really like it if only it were stronger. Like I said, pillowy-soft velvet clouds of the palest apricot-pink unicorn fur. Like white fur with the softest pink/apricot sheen.
Wait, no, you know what it's like? A few nights ago I put on Recollection bath oil and LUSH rose jam massage bar before bed, presumably got traces of both on the sheets, and then came home from work to discover that my cat had spent all day snuggled in a nest of LUSH&BPAL-scented sheets and lightly perfumed his soft, soft fur with marshmallow-vanilla-rose. That's what De Vos smells like. That plus apricot.

I was so curious about this, because the notes could either be wonderful or completely failure on my skin. Here goes!

I really like this!

I am not entirely sure what peony smells like, but I am definitely getting a sugared flower kind of scent; some of it is a rose-vanilla that reminds me a bit of Allegory of Chastity, which I think some people have mentioned. But it still smells different than Allegory, and I put that down to the peony.

I am not getting much lavender, which is fine by me, and the apricot is only slightly peeking out from behind the white musk, which is not sharp or soapy at all, just nice and snuggly.

Overall, I would say this definitely shares some vibes with Allegory of Chastity, but on me at least it is less in-your-face. I can see myself wearing this for festive occasions all year, but perhaps it is mostly a summertime scent. Perfect for a midsummer tea party, I would say.

Sweet and sugary; reminds me of a "pinker" version of TKO; this is great if you love lavendar, which I do! The drydown on me was the same beautiful sugary lavendar vanilla scent, but it got quite soft quite quick, and within two hours was gone; this is pretty normal since my skin eats oils.

I'm getting mostly a white rose, not unlike the Unity White Rose from a few years back. I like this, (I kind of regretted swapping White Rose), but I wish the other notes were more prominent. After awhile, I detect the mallow, so it's a soft rose mallow. I think I'll keep this one, and hope it may change a bit with time.

eta: I am kind of glad that peony is not in the forefront, as that was my main deterrent from getting this blend. I find it much too strong of a floral.

Edited by milo