Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
VioletChaos

Volcano in Springtime

Whipped vanilla cream and white sandalwood with a touch of lotus root.

In The Bottle: Cream and dusty wood- like a sweeter, gentler version of Glowing Vulva :eek:

Wet On Skin: Okay, the GV part doesn't last, but that's okay, because this is great on it's own- now it's that glorious sandalwood note from Tombstone, with the sweet cream note from Love's Philosophy. This is...awesome.

Dry Down: A beautiful, warm creamy-woodsy fragrance. Lovely for daytime use, as it's not too imposing, and it's definitely a skin scent, that stays close. But I can also seeing it be a little sexy on some people.

*Definitely* glad to have a bottle! :wub2:

Origin: Straight from the Lab

Initial Thoughts: Vanilla cream is good. *White* sandalwood can be good. Lotus has worked for me in some scents before, but I fear it going a bit bubblegum.

In the Bottle: Very heavy on the vanilla and cream. I can't really tell the other notes are there right now.

Wet: Again, strongly vanilla and cream, but the sandalwood starts emerging.

Drydown: For me, very little morph to this one. Fresh, clean wood and sweet creamy vanilla. I'm not getting any lotus root at all that I can tell. I agree with VioletChaos that this has very little throw.

Verdict: A good option for a work scent or a subtle scent.

Wet: OMG vanilla cream, and it's soooo good. The sandalwood is there, for sure, keeping this grounded, but the vanilla cream is very much the star.

Dry: Lovely. Vanilla cream and sandalwood. Simple, but beautiful. The cream isn't sour or plastic on me, it's perfect. Soft, sweet, creamy vanilla. The sandalwood is balanced with it beautifully, neither dominates on me. Can't pick out the lotus root at all, I think it's just blended into the general woodiness of the sandalwood. Those that are worried this is going to smell like lotus flower/bubblegum, I think you need not worry, I don't detect even a hint of lotus flower, this is for sure the root here. It's woody, not floral or bubblegummy. This is a beautiful scent and I will get a lot of wear out of it.

This might be the vanilla cream BPAL of my dreams! Holy wow, this is yummy!

Vanilla cream is the star here. The sandalwood is smooth and gorgeous and the lotus is very subtle. I just love this!!!

For the first hour, the sandalwood in this is very present, clean and creamy. It reminds me of generic white lotion (just that clean, creamy smell) and a hint of baby powder. The lotus root has a tart fruitiness (almost sour cherry-like) and Volcano is reminiscent of bptp's Castitas bath oil on my skin.
The first couple hours are pretty, but I love this more and more as it dries down. By about the three hour mark, I'm left with nothing but a rich, sweet vanilla cream and hint of warm woodiness. I don't love Volcano quite as much as my favorite bpal vanilla (Monster Bait: Underpants), but this is a wonderful, long lasting vanilla that actually feels similar to Underpants. It's like MB: Underpants, but with a clean undertone... (sorry for the odd sentence).
I'm really glad that I purchased a bottle of this. Fans of vanilla should love this one.

Wow, Volcano is by far my favorite Luper blend for 2016.

In the decant: sweet vanilla cream and sandalwood.

Applied: the Sandalwood's warmth spreads out, sweetened by the vanilla cream. I can't identify lotus root as a note in Volcano, I suspect it's also adding sweetness.

Volcano stays true over time. It lasts a long time on me, and it's so pleasurable! My decant is going fast, and I have put in an order for 2 bottles.

I think Little Bird described Volcano well "...a rich, sweet vanilla cream and hint of warm woodiness."

2022 update: With age, the lotus root note is now a prominent part of the blend. Still gorgeous!

Edited by Teamama
2022 update

Volcano in Springtime is so delicious and rich—this is the Stekk from my Lupercalia order, if you know what I mean. I smell mostly vanilla cream and just a bit of sandalwood. I don't pick up the lotus at all, although maybe that's what's adding a bit of candy sweetness? On and dry, this is pure and simple lovely vanilla cream with a hint of sandalwood. Worthy of the YUM emoticon: :yum:

Ooooh! Oooooooooooooh! This is nice. In fact, that's what I said out loud to an empty room when I first smelled it. It is most certainly vanilla, and a lush and creamy one, but the sandalwood keeps it from getting too marshmallowy. The lotus root lurks around in the background, but gives the whole thing a sweetness.

So, long story short, its lovely.

This is lovely! I totally agree with LiberAmoris that this is the Stekk of the Lupers.

Wet it's dominated by a rich almost buttery vanilla cream. As it dries, it takes on a slightly more airy tone very similar to the vanilla marshmallow tone in Stekk. Then the sandalwood begins to emerge and while the vanilla cream is the main player, the sandalwood is an invaluable support that adds a warm woody glow to the whole blend. I would even consider it slightly smokey.

I also do not detect the lotus although my nose isn't very well-trained as far as picking out individual supporting notes at this point.

The throw is very low. This is a cozy skin scent that you would want to wear while wrapping yourself up in a nice fluffy warm blanket. I'm very much considering a bottle.

Lotus is a note that either gets along with me or does not, there is no in between.

When I first put this on the lotus amped on me to high heaven and smelled almost bitter and I was super worried that it wouldn't change, but it did and thank goodness for that because when it was starting to dry and then was fully dry it became the frothiest, warm and still a little sweet vanilla cream with only a small dose of woodiness from the sandalwood. I fell in love!

I will be needing a bottle.

There's nothing for me to add to the adulations above--it's perfection! Sweet, creamy sandalwood indeed, and after 7 hours, it's still there as a beautiful skin scent.

I blind bought a bottle, and may need a backup. It's that good.

This was a decant from meaganola, and the one I had to try first of all my decants.

Sweet creamy vanilla, kept from being entirely foody by the sandalwood. It’s pretty much perfect. Like other reviewers, I thought the lotus might add a bubblegum note, but this is lotus root: it’s woodsy and not supersweet.

I agree with everyone who said Volcano is the Stekkjarstaur of the Lupers.

I will need a bottle.

This is the BEST SANDALWOOD SCENT.

Starts off a little like a beach store? Suntan lotion with a healthy scoop of vanilla. But really good and summery. Dry it's still that really nice sharpness, plus a creamy vanilla.

Refreshing and downright pleasant.

This is def my favorite Luper of the year! This was the very first one I knew I *had* to have (dat bottle art tho!). It is so yummy, glowing, and creamy. I totally get the sandalwood for a few hours but that starts to take the backseat to the sweet cream after awhile. I don't get lotus specifically, but I think it sweetens this up overall and keeps the sandalwood from being too dry. Each time that I have worn this I have had others say they thought it smells like donuts or cotton candy. I don't really get that from it (I think since I know what the notes are my brain/nose automatically recognize them) but I see where someone would think it smells foodie. I think it's gentle, soft sandalwood blended with the cream that gives me a warm, almost beachy feeling. It's a perfect any time, any season scent that feels like a big old hug! Highly recommended!

Bought a blind bottle based on the description (I love sandalwood)

In the bottle, I couldn't help but think it smelled like yogurt :unsure:

On my skin? Oooooh there is the sandalwood and vanilla. Very clean and balanced. Perfect.

edit: it gets sweeter after a while... it's a warm vanilla scent. Not quite the sandalwoody scent I was going for but I'm going to use the hell out of this.

Edited by eilliM

While I can see the comparisons, I have to say that this is most definitely not the Stekkjarstaur of the Lupers on me. Thanks, skin chemistry.

The vanilla cream note is lovely, but it doesn't come close to the sugared-marshmallow-root-vanilla-awesomeness that is Stekkjarstaur on my skin.

In fact, this isn't even vanilla dominant on me. Even though I didn't really detect much lotus root in the bottle, during the wet phase, it was quite prominent on me. It didn't remind me of bubblegum, but it was certainly candy-like.

Once dry, the lotus root backs off, but the dry, dusty white sandalwood note is by far the most prominent note on my skin.

It's more like Mouse's Long and Sad Tale, but with a different vanilla note, and with lotus root instead of the awesome sweet pea.

I guess the mentions of Stekkjarstaur made me have higher expectations for this one. I don't dislike it, but I'm not in love with it, either. I actually enjoy Blossoming Vulva more.

Yum, sweet soft sandalwood soaked in vanilla cream. I don't detect much lotus in this blend, which is fine since lotus can get screechy on my skin.

I find it a softer cousin to Blossoming Vulva, which is a brighter, lighter woodsy vanilla.

In the decant: First whiff is mostly sweet vanilla cream, then I get a lot of a sweet, candy-like lotus.

On my skin: I smell some sandalwood now -- didn't really smell any in the decant. The vanilla cream + sweet floral + sandalwood combination is reminding me of Mouse's Long and Sad Tale when it was fresher and the sweet pea note was stronger (now that my bottle is almost 6 years old the sweet pea has faded somewhat).

This is nice... but I think I actually prefer Mouse's Long and Sad Tale for the sweet floral + sandalwood + vanilla combination. The sweet vanilla cream is nice here, but I have a bottle of Stekkjarstaur. If I didn't already have scents that filled the niches that Volcano has, I would probably be wanting a bottle, but I think my collection has scents similar enough to this that I don't need it.

Edited by sunlitgarden

I mostly get the vanilla cream here, with some soft sandalwood underneath. The lotus is not bubble-gummy as I feared it might be. There's a clean briskness to the cream not at first, but it fades to mostly vanilla over time. Pretty!

Back up bottle needed. Nuff said. :wub:

No really, its awesome. The lotus lends a light fresh floral tinge and sandalwood a bit of clean earthiness. Keeps it from being strictly gourmand central. Plus, surprise, it smells awesome on dudes too!

ps: the artwork actually made me gasp and say "ohmygerdddd!" Most graphic shunga award goes to..... :lol:

this is very pretty! a vanilla and cream scent with a touch of lotus root, then the sandalwood becomes more prominent, but it's mostly vanilla cream on me. i do get something ever so slightly plasticky but it's not too bad. i need to try this again to be sure about it, but overall i feel that this is a nice light spring scent.

Blind Bottle Purchase.

Decided to dive into the Lupers this year. Several had notes I love in other oils and I am intrigued by their fleeting existence. With Volcano in Springtime, I had read reviews, seen FB posts proclaiming obsession, and the racy cover art turned me on.

IN THE BOTTLE:

Vanilla, Cream and Candy

WET:

On my skin, the Vanilla deepens into a spicer experience while the sugary cream levels it out.

DRY:

I can't stop smelling my arm-I can't stop smelling my arm-I can't stop smelling my arm-I can't stop smelling my arm-I can't stop smelling my arm-I can't stop smelling my arm. My husband keeps smelling my neck and then you know how it goes. This is delicious stuff. It softens into a something with a very slight muskiness and the sandalwood keeps the vanilla cream from being overly sweet. It is rare to find a sweet oil that works for a woman and doesn't make her smell like a baby.

NOTES:

Soooooooo Goooooood! My only Luper back up bottle. Volcano is an orgasmic treasure.

RATING:

:heart: 10

Edited by Jenjin

Delicate vanilla marshmallow creme. Hooray, a BPAL cream blend that doesn't go to plastic on me. SUCCESS!

Sadly, my skin proceeds to gorge itself on this scent like Augustus Gloop in the Wonka Factory. After about half an hour, its totally gone.

SAD PANDA FACES ALL AROUND.

Oh yeeees, these are pretty much my two favorite notes (vanilla cream and sandalwood) and BPAL has delivered!

I was concerned about the lotus since it usually turns into an evil bubblegum that ruins things for me, but it's behaving here.

A frothy vanilla is the dominant note, with the lotus bringing a sort of green "flower stem" smell to the mix.

It actually lightens things up in a pleasant way and lends itself to the "springtime" aspect of the blend.

In the distant background is my beloved sandalwood, though it's not super noticeable.

I wouldn't say I can pick out anything as blatantly "woodsy," but sandalwood is great at adding a "creamy" feel in general, which works perfectly with the vanilla here.

This is beautiful and exactly what it professed to be, but somewhat similar to other vanilla and cream scents I own.

I went ahead and ordered a bottle, so it'll be interesting to see how this develops.

There's a hint of a milkiness to Volcano's cream that is unique from other blends (and it's lovely) so I'll be pleased if that gets drawn out more over time.

Edited by Balame