Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Shollin

Oberon

Orchid, white musk, and bergamot wafting over juniper berries, with a gentle touch of soft, earthy patchouli.

Oberon is what dreams smell like. It's absolutely devine and I'm totally getting a big bottle of this.
Bergamont comes out strongest on me in this blend which puts me in a lax, carefree mood and helps me sleep. I also love the staying power. I put it on last night before bed and I can still smell it this morning, 12 hours later. A keeper and a big bottle. Love it!

One word: laundry detergent! Just isn't working on me. Unless it drys down into something different, but at this point I doubt it. Perhaps I will try to sneak some on my guy while he is sleeping and unawares. Otherwise I don't think he will take kindly to "Sweetie, can I dab you with this essential perfume oil from this small flask with a dipper? Pretty please?"

ADDED Dec. 22:

Erg. Definitely a scrubber. Smelled like honey gone bad somehow.

I'm getting shower gel/laundry powder out of this one.

The sad thing is, the bottle it's in is soooo cute (a tiny, tiny bottle, less than an Imp's worth).

imp: light juniper and musk.

wet: i'm not getting any patchouli at all. i'm getting musk, faint juniper, a bit of bergamot... i don't get any orchid either. that's weird.

dry: the musk is the only thing that lasted. i'm beginning to think that musk gets amped on my skin because often when there's musk in a scent it dominates the blend and stays on my skin for hours and hours.

In bottle: Sweetly floral with a pleasant light musk. The patchouli blends nicely, giving it a touch of weight. Wet: "Gayer than a tree of monkeys on nitrous oxide," but oddly compelling. It smells of freshly showered and shaved chisl chinned unnecessarily pretty actor/model. This is disturbingly hot in a man wearing nothing but his jockeys kind of way. I can just as easily see it on a majestically dressed handsome thirty something woman in flowing haute couture.... Dry: a touch soapy, but the musk and bergamot lend it sting. It smells a bit like pleasant aftershave on the fade.

Orchid and musk in the imp, same but amped on my skin. I love orchid, so this is me, but the musk has more staying power. Definitely my go-to musk. Recommended for anyone who likes any of the notes.

In the imp, this is soft white musk and orchid for me.

On my skin, it's very soft, very sweet, very beautiful - I only get orchid, musk, and bergamot.

When it's dry, a leeetle bit of the patchouli comes out, but it's not overwhelming. The musk is there, and then a little of the orchid.

It ends up nice enough, but it doesn't live up to the initial promise.

Initial Impression: flowery

On Wet: musk, orchid, hint of juniper berries and patchouli

On Dry: very soft, more juniper berries than orchid now, some musk

Final Impression: Really pretty, but very light

Rating (on a scale from 1-5): 2.5

In the imp, smells like tart musk. On my skin, orchid promptly starts coming out; it's orchid and juniper now.

1 min: juniper and bergamot, the orchid's backing off and the patchouli's coming out. The musk is sitting somewhere in the background, which isn't really unusual; white musk takes a while to come out on me.

3 min: juniper and bergamot, still--it's a really odd sort of *arch* scent--with sweet patchouli overtop. It's complex, but I'm not sure I like it. Mind you, only three minutes in, will see how it develops.

10 min: juniper and patchouli, and it's *not* working. It's a dry sharp acerbic scent with a hint of sweet--it's like biting into an underripe banana from a tree that's been sprayed with pesticide.

1 hr (I took a break to make dinner, and left it on because sometimes the scents *do* develop in radically surprising ways): mellowed. It's juniper and patchouli, and it smells like furniture polish. Not for me.

Love and coffee,

Frances

This is an incredibly bright scent - it's sweet and almost fruity. If I were to compare this to a commercial scent, it would be Liz Claiborne's Curve. It has that same effervescent, citrusy, light floral tone to it. Orchid is one of those rare florals that isn't pure evil on me. The white musk is a bit dusty to my nose - sticky and tickly.

This turns very sweet and almost honey-like on my skin. Gets creamier (isn't orchid grand?), too.

Many, MANY hours later, Oberon is still there! Subtle and lovely. It's just the lightest dusting of musk now, with that creamy orchid still riding along. Love!

Very light and fresh. It is sweet and creamy but gentle. Thankfully I don't really smell the patchouli; I'm generally not a patch fan, though there are exceptions and I think this is one of them. I get an almost grassy scent here, with the creamy floral, which is very nice.

I have the weirdest chemistry, I guess... :D

I was so excited to try this one (thanks, Golden Rubee) because of the juniper berries and patchouli. I had no idea what bergamot smells like. Still don't.

In the vial, I thought, "This could be it...this could REALLY be my holy grail of fragrances...AT LAST! Usually it is the total oposite. In the vial I sometimes wonder, "Dare I really put this on my skin?" (2 cases in point are Twilight and Santa Muerte...those 2 smelled almost foul to my untrained probosis, but after they were on my sky and dry, I was AMAZED. But I digress :P )

Oberon in the vial smelled so beautiful, I couldn't wait to get it on my skin. As soon as I did, it VANISHED :D WTH? If I held my wrist up to my nose and practically snorted, I got a whiff of something soapy, almost "bubble-gummy". I saw what others were relating about the "Old Spice/man's cologne" bit. I think I am picking up the bergamot because there is a note coming out that I don't recognize. Unless Beth's patchouli is something I am not familiar with. This is becoming something I wish my skin didn't eat... On me, so light, almost non existent. I guess the girls in my office can't complain about this one :)

I really wanted to like this one – others’ reviews have been so evocative. However, I got none of the fey, wild, scents most everyone else seems to get, I just got a harsh, sharp floral which I’m guessing is the orchid. Not very pleasant and sadly not for me.

in the imp: a medium-level floral, slightly cloying, reminds me of a 'grandma' scent.

wet on skin: now it has morphed into the fragrance of a hair product i bought in London years ago. so, a good 'hair' scent...

dry down: same.

in all: for people who did those hair product/shampoo kinds of smells, you'll love this :P

In Imp: Pure Orchids but with a dry undercurrent.

Wet: Very soapy. I usually like soapy, but this smells like a cheap harsh soap. I read one of the reviews said it smelt a bit like Ananya from Body Shop (which I adore!!), but I'm not getting that at all here. I love bergamot, but I can't smell it at all in this.

Dry: The patchouli is peeking its head out a bit, but only a little, it is rounding the scent out a bit more. I think that I just don't like Orchids.

Verdict: This has amped quite painfully and I'm smelling nothing but the orchids unless I concentrate really hard and keep sniffing. I just think that its either that it doesn't suit my chemistry or that I just don't like the poor beautiful orchid – which is such a shame!

Marks out of 10: 4 :P

A light floral that can't seem to decide if it should turn to plastic on me, or disappear altogether. I can't believe I'm smelling what everyone else is, this seems so feminine to me. Maybe my skin just absorbs juniper or something.

:P

In vial: Predominantly orchid to me. I can't really detect the other notes. It's very well-blended. I like it. It's not a perfume that jumps up and down and screams "Notice meeeee!" like some of the other blends I've tried.

Wet: Orchid and some musk. It reminds me of something you might buy in a department store, but not in a bad way. It's so elegant and timeless. Classic. I could see myself smelling like this wearing a white sundress in Paris in spring.

Dry: Orchids, with a hint of bergamot, and lovely light musk. It's a grown-up floral. There's a clean-ness and lightness to this smell. It feels like a "white" scent to me, if that makes sense. The orchid makes it seem very creamy, but not sweet. Lovely. A winner. Orchid fades over the course of the day, leaving a gentle juniper and musk fragrance.

Overall: This makes me feel very feminine, more so even than the fruity florals I tend to gravitate towards, which tend to make me feel girly, and not womanly. At the same time, It smells wonderful on the boy as well, but it's not feminine on him. This scent just seems to enhance you, whoever you are. The the smell of you, but BETTER.

This one was a faint fey sort of scent. That basically sunk into my skin. Very light and refresh.

And has come back as laundry detergent. :P And here I thought patchouli would mess things up...

I'm quite intrigued; something reminds me of studying at Harlaxton Manor in England; like a cathderal without incense, or a library...

In the imp, Oberon is orchid and patchouli with an afternote of citrus.

Wet, it turns masculine and I think that it would be incredible on my guy.

However, when it dries down, it becomes a dryer sheet. And just a generic brand.

Oh well...

In The Bottle

Soft and almost fruity. Smells delicious in the imp.

On Application

Orchid and musk. Normally the orchid notes are terrible on my skin but this is, so far, nice - almost a peachy note in there.

Dry Down

Alternates between plasticky floral and floral with peach. Not for me.

Rating (0-5)

Preconceptions: None. I got it as a frimp from the lovely BelleAnge. On reading the info, I was hoping maybe it would be something darkly feminine, earthy, yummy, and gender neutral.

Warning: My nose has no idea what scents I'm looking for. I've never tried any of the scents in this one aside from patchouli. o.o I've seen and sniffed both Bergamont and Orchid plants, but I'm having trouble finding them in here o.o. I'm thinking this isn't the Bergamont that grows in the area, and is the common essential oil instead. -blushes-

In the imp: ... nothing. I can't smell a thing. I guess something watery... -felt dumb and added to wrist-

Wet on wrist: Erm. Laundry. I've learned in my short time here that descriptions like "powder" and "laundry cleaner" = uneducated nose. And yep. I've no idea what I'm sniffing. I think the white musk is making it this way, however. It's seriously amped, with a touch of floral in there. I can't sense patchouli, or juniper berries. Which I'm eager to sniff.

Dry: It's not changing. It's being exactly the same. Laundry detergent isn't necessarily BAD. I had a roommate one year who adored the smell of it, and often would do my laundry for me just so she could sit down there and smell it... o.o But I'm not a huge fan.

Dry, later: Same... still. The more I sniff, the more I'm able to draw out the different notes. Orchid is what's causing problems, I think. Orchid + white musk = laundry on me, I'm starting to realize. Everything else has been eclipsed, if it's there at all. How disappointing. I'll have to keep an eye out on future perfumes if it's Orchid or white musk that acts up on me (or I just find gross. Who knows o.O)

Overall: I'm not sure I entirely agree with the gender neutral comments. This, to me, is entirely feminine. If a male was to wear this, they'd need to be dashing rakes. With clean features, long eye lashes, big glimmering eyes, lean builds, crisp clothing, and exotic flowers at hand to pass out to swooning women. (I get an Oberon vibe from it. He IS king of the Fae.) Not an everyman kind of scent. However, most every female could wear this and get away with it (Even if you're not a particularly feminine female like myself. You could fool those who don't know you well for a day.) So, to me, that makes this a feminine scent.

I'ts not overly floral, it's not fruity. It's musky in a light way, with a touch of light patchouli giving it a green feel, and flowers gently brushing. = Laundry detergent, lmao. XD

Maybe my laundry detergent just smells really good...

In the bottle, this smells so nice. Musky, yet fresh and green; it's pretty sexy. Unfortunately, neither I nor my hubby can wear it. On both of us, it smells too soapy and too powdery. A shame.