Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Shollin

Oberon

Orchid, white musk, and bergamot wafting over juniper berries, with a gentle touch of soft, earthy patchouli.

First sniff: Ooh. Something fey about this one. It smells like camping or the mountains or something outdoorsy and rugged without being overly macho. A wild scent, wind-tossed hair and sunlight filtered through pine needles.

Wearing: I just tried on my Oberon, and it’s so impossibly YUM I have to add to my previous review. (I’m trying to find a word other than “beautiful,” because while it is, that word just isn’t right - far too soft and feminine. This is manly-beautiful like a guy you’d drool over from across a crowded bar.) It’s gorgeous! There’s an evergreen sort of smell that I can’t pin down – it’s not pine or cedar, it might be juniper. Woodsy, but in a wild stormy way, not in a peaceful reflective way. It does kinda remind me of rain – but again, a primal downpour thunderstorm thing, not a gentle April-showers-bring-May-flowers kind of rain... primal is definitely the word. Mmmmmm. I’d love to smell this on a guy (and I wish I had one I could buy it for) – I doubt I’d be able to keep my hands off him. Not so overtly masculine that I feel uncomfortable wearing it, but I’m betting it’d be terrifically swoon-inducing on a boy. Seems to be getting brighter, fresher and greener as it dries. Definitely a keeper. A clean scent – not sterile hospital clean, but mountain air clean, rain-washed clean.

This is another one that I received as a sample and will DEFINITELY be including in my next order. I want to bathe in it. This really feels like a scent that can be gorgeous on either sex, a soft scent touched with both floral and herbal elements. Sensual, but also strong and powerful; nature with a backbone. Every time I think of an adjective for it, I can think of another that almost contradicts it; so this is a very complex scent, mysterious and altogether wonderful. I love it.

Sadly, this was the only other BPAL scent I really didn't like (other one was Unseelie). I like patchouli and musk, but it must have been the orchid and juniper notes that didn't appeal to me. Not me at all.

This is a gorgeous, spicy, complex floral... the juniper gives it a nice bite while the orchid is smooth and mellow, and the patchouli lends a touch of deep earthiness. I love this one completely! It smells like my all-time favorite perfume ever, "Summer Dew" by Body Shop which was discontinued years ago so I've been carefully eking out my last bottle of it. Every time I wear it, I get compliments on it, not to mention it drives Mr. Imp crazy with passion :P . I've been trying to find something similar for so long I was afraid I was wishful thinking, so I just had the Mr. sniff my hand and asked "what does this smell like?" His eyes lit up when he said "Summer Dew!" Yay!!! After some wear I think Oberon is better... cleaner, spicier, and it doesn't change as much on my skin: the fragrance stays lovely and true. I'll be splurging on a big bottle of this soon :D !

A nice unisex sniff (tho my guy says this is a lil too feminine for him). This is like being lost in the woods after a hard downpour scent to me. Unfortunately i liked this alot it dissappeared on me after an hour or wear... and turns powdery, i think my skin just eats up all the good stuff. Beautiful scent tho

I received this one as part of a swap and as it wasn't on my *big* Try list I wasn't expecting much from it.

However, it's lovely. Unfortunately, it's also made me realise how utterly useless my nose is, I would be no good as a wine tester (apart from the drinking bit. :P)

It does give me the slight impression of a man's cologne. My hubby loves the smell, but wouldn't wear it himself.

It smells grassy and a little floral yet I'm unable to pick out the individual floral notes. :oops:

The main impressions Oberon gives me are:

Greenish Blue, Sunny, Spring, Breezy, Grassy fields.

Mood: Initally playful but 'chills out' as time goes on.

Staying Power: Excellent

i haven't tried it on yet (but intend to after i'm done sniffing all my other imps), but oberon was strongly citrusy to me in the vial

Oberon was much more generic in the bottle than I expected, so I saved this one for quite a while before testing it with a bit of hesitation. My mistake, because it was an amazing morph on the skin!

The juniper berry must be the tiniest touch, because I get the crisp, vibrant, and boozy tang of it without the acrid note it carries by itself. I think most of what I'm smelling is the orchid; if I'm wrong, that's okay, too, as the note is clean, uniquely floral, and absolutely stunning.

This ends up being an opalescent lavender color in my head. It's so sparkling and bright, without being top-heavy ... I think fairy wings must feel like this smells. I mentioned once that Othello smells like my dryer sheets, which I searched for years to find; this is leaving your laundry out on the line and taking it in to find the sheets have soaked up all the sunshine, springtime, and joy within a ten-mile radius.

Definitely unisex.

I wore this scent last night and so far it is the first scent that I have received any attention for.

From the vial, the scent is very floral and soft. But as I was dabbing it on my wrists all I could smell was Lemon, kind of like Lemon Pledge (which i like the smell of). I can see this as a unisex scent and didn't think it was overtly too feminine, but what do I know, I am a girl. I really liked this scent, definitely a keeper and I am gong to be needing more of it..

Edited by Sistinas

Wet, all I could smell was lemon, lemon, lemon, which is odd because there doesn't seem to be any lemon in it. It was probably the bergamot, which I have difficulty wearing because citruses don't work well on me unless they're sweet citruses. As it has dried down, the other oils have come out and it has smoothed into something much softer and less tart than it was wet, but it's still a bit too citrusy and masculine for me. I would like this very much on a man, it is a gorgeous scent, just not the sort of warm/sweet scent I wear best.

This one made the "Favorite Scents" field in my profile.

It's very well-rounded and nice without being too complex. I can smell everything in here individually except the juniper berries -- the orchid and bergamot on top give it a sweetness, like the tang of fresh air, and the white musk and patchouli ground it and give it an earthy scent under that freshness. It smells a bit like a cleaner, simpler version of The Apothecary, if anyone's tried that. Wonderful.

Like others have said, it's unisex. And fey.

Very fey.

This one's quite complex! I can't possibly begin to describe it. It is similiar to Unseelie in that there's that woodsy floral note to it. And maybe it's just my nose, but it smells citrussy as well. I would adore this on a guy, but this definitely falls under the unisex category. It also has more staying power than Unseelie, so you might not want to apply so liberally.

Initial reaction? MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM!

When I first opened the imp to sniff, I groaned because it smelled so wonderful. Light but still complex. Complex is just the word to use. It's very powerful, almost too much for my sinuses.

As I described to TygherRayn, 'It's like Old Spice should be if everyone had good taste'.

As it's dried, there's a certain spicy undertone to it, with an herbal/woodsy overcoat. VERY masculine on me, but not at all floral. Extremely warm, like... a rich forest green with dappled sunlight. Amorphus and wonderful. The only problem I have with this scent being named Oberon is that I can't imagine any woman making a man in this scent a cuckold.

Now, what I forgot to mention in this original review, and am editing now to put up, is that Oberon goes incredibly soapy on me. I wore it again today and it was like *BAM* This is why I don't wear it... so thought I'd share :P

Edited by Vaniclion

I can definitely get where vaniclion gets the 'Old Spice' thing from this one.

In the Bottle: Hmm. Berries? I can't quite pick out anything from this one, and that's both good and bad. It's kinda floral and kinda spicy to me. I like it, and I'm curious what it'll do on.

First 10 minutes: Interesting. I don't think this is a feminine scent for me. It's kind of strong, in an 'I'll get you, my pretty' way I'm not fond of. Don't get me wrong, it's nice, but it's coming on very harsh, and I think I'd prefer a different sort of scent for me.

Drydown: I smell the floral (orchid? Bergamot?) in this .. but I also get an undertone of soap that's very disconcerting to my nose. Not like it was on vanilion, but like just beneath the surface. It's a wierd thing to small in fact, and I'll happily be swapping this one away to try something new.

I did not care for this one while wearing it. My chemistry must not agree. However, I love it in a burner. It makes my whole house smell wonderful.

Oberon on my skin is a nearly perfect match to how my boyfriend smells after he has shaved. It is so uncanny that I tested out his shaving cream last night and it isn't the shaving cream alone, it is actually the combo of the shaving cream and his natural scent. As you can imagine wearing Oberon did strange things to my mental state. I prefer to be able to tell the difference between him and me. :P

I couldn't really pick out individual scent components, every time I tried my brain just replied back "Scot" (my boyfriend's name).

I won't be keeping Oberon because neither I nor Scot really needs a scent to make us smell like Scot. :D

~Roja

I just received this as a gift - my second BPAL scent ever. The second I put this on I thought "mmmmm, Nantucket Briar." Anyone remember that perfume from Crabtree and Evelyn? This is like that, only better. It smells great, like a stormy fall day at the beach - there's a touch of ozone to it, and some wet woody notes, and a bit of an ocean scent. This will definitely be a favorite for fall, it's a bit too warm and strong for summer.

And if men react to it the way my dog did, I'll be in very good shape for dates this fall! My dog has never ever been interested in anything but hand lotion, which she obsessively licks off me - the second I put this on she came running over and just kept smushing her head into my arm. So cute.

I love this one. On first application, it's fresh and slightly fruity/floral, but this soon fades to a wonderful musky fresh tang. It's heavy enough to be grounded but it has a good bit of airiness in it too - the exhilaration before a storm in late summer, when the winds are beginning to whip those flower-and-leaf scents into the air just before the rain starts. It's beautiful on my lovely, too - he ordered it, but I might have to get a bottle myself!

When I smell it in the bottle I think- this is a men's scent. Mainly due perhaps to the juniper.

But I'm not overpowered by it when I wear it, which is very nice. I won't be wearing it often, but it is certianly a nice option.

I love orchid, but this didn't work so well on me, even though it's a beautiful scent. It was just too masculine. This is a powdery, white floral, which made me think that there was jasmine there, for the powder smell. Yet, even though I normally associate powder and floral as a feminine sort of scent, it was most definitely masculine. However, since I keep on thinking it should be a feminine scent, it seems like not very strong-masculine. If I smelled this on a guy, I would think he would be wearing a starched white blouse. However, while I was thinking this, I suddenly thought that this also smelled a bit like deodorant the guys wear and double as fragrance. There's also a tiny bit of citrus in there to me.

I recieved this one as a freebie in one of my orders. I can't believe that I only have 6 more to go with another one arriving any day now! Maybe I shouldn't get so much at once?

NAH!!!! :P

In the Bottle: Quite a soapy musk quality to it. There is a slight orchid quality to it, but not too much.

On Me: It started out with a slight lemon tinge to it that made me cringe. Now its gone down to a slight orchid/patchouli smell that reminds me of almost a Mountain Dew scent. That's weird. Not that I mind it, but it is certainly not what I was expecting of Oberon.

It is rather crisp and fresh, and now begins to be mellowing into more of an orchid scent. I don't recognize a berry smell in this at all, which is probably for the best. The floral blend that I smell right now is faintly masculine, and growing more so all the time. Not that I would want my hubby to wear this though, he smells so much better in spice than floral. Besides the fact, I might have to pin him down to put it on him;)

This is starting to live out my expectations though. I see a long, haired man (think Legolas, if you want. I keep thinking of Sesshomaru from Inuyasha for some odd reason.) lying in a mossy field of flowers with a look of cool confidence on his face. His back is to a mighty Oak, its branches twined with orchids and mistletoe. His face is turned towards the small glimmers of sunlight that come through the branches when the wind blows by. His bright blue eyes are far away, perhaps dreaming of his love, perhaps dreaming of conquest.

:sigh:

Oberon is a scent I have to convince my boyfriend to wear. To me this is a real manly scent. Turns soapy on my skin eventhough Patchouli and Juniper are favourites.

This was one of the rare BPAL scents I flat-out hated. Harshe, I know, but I only really detest maybe two or three scents. And this is one.

I put it on at work to try it out and either the orchid or the juniper berry or SOMETHING created this ungodly "Floral from Hell" smell. It was so strong, I wiped myself down with an alcohol wipe and STILL smelled it, and continued to throughout the whole day.

Just uncorking the imp now made me nauseated, and I have the smell on my fingertips! Eeek!!

This is getting passed on to my roommate. Though the smell I was getting was way too powdery to be suited for a hetero guy.

Must go wash my hands now. With a Brillo pad.

-doreen

All hail the King of the Fae, Oberon!

First sniff

Mmm gentle lemons. This isn't the strong gagging mediciney lemon I got from June Gloom but a more gently wafting one. There's also something darker which I assume is the patchouli...but mm. This smells SO good.

When wet

Wow the orchid and juniper just burst out on me! My body chemistry really digs juniper I'm finding. It's very woodsy, very masculine and very yum. I can really see myself devouring a man who smelt like this. Hell I want to devour myself :D

Drydown

Rawr. Oberon continues its assault on my body and dries down into this wonderfully heady masculine scent that sort of makes me all :P when I think about how a guy might smell wearing it.

Aftermath

Oberon would smell LOVELY on a man. On me it's alright and while I plan on using the imp up I doubt I'd buy a bottle of it for me...maybe imps for when I wanted something comforting and mannish but not necessarily a man. However should I ever get a signfigant other I will be making sure they bathe in this regularly :D