Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Lorencita

Hell's Belle

Sweet, smoky and sensually wicked. A thick, steamy scent, truly sinister in its voluptuous sexuality. The perfume of a demon's favored consort, or of the devil herself. Oleander with wet, sweet mandarin, lush magnolia, a rush of deep musk and a touch of spice.

Bottle: Screamingly high note of magnolia.

Wet: Still shrieking magnolia, but mellowing with the oleander and the darker undertone of musk coming through.

Drydown: Top note of spice, then equal parts mandarin and magnolia strewn over throaty musk.

This works amazingly on me, it's sensual but refined, a little naughty but gentle at the same time. I love how it's blended.

The musk is leaning toward too strong for me at the end, but this is a great scent all the same. Going on bottle list. Give it some time, this might end up my signature scent--I'm a southern girl with a thing for magnolias. :P

Days later: OMG. I am in love. Love, love, love. This is ME. This is my scent. It is amazing. Edited by Shollin

Hello magnolia. Lush is definitely a good word to describe this one. A very heady floral scent with a hint of spice.

I didn't put more on than I usually do when testing a scent but it definitely felt as if I had bathed in it. I had no trouble smelling this on me all day (and the next) and I kept feeling paranoid that people could smell me from across the street, so strong the scent was on me. Definitely not a scent for work - very overwhelming and it made me feel slightly headachy, not to mention that I was afraid that my coworkers would complain about how strong I smelled.

I love the smell, but I think Hell's Belle might be too much of a belle for me. Maybe I'll try diluting it - or, if that fails, use it as a room scent.

This has the amazing quality to be cooling on a hot summer day and warm and cozy in a bitterly cold night. Having tried it on either continental coast, Hell's Belle has shot to the top of my list due to its versatility.

The citrus is a top note, along with what's probably the magnolia, a flower that bridges the top and bottom notes with its lush quality. The musk holds everything down, and the spices are almost foody. A really good blend.

ETA: Got a big bottle of this. Fresh, there's a strong undercurrent of red musk that gives that voluptuous tone to this blend.

Edited by cinderfallen

Hell's Belle (orange-brown oil)

Imp: Smells Sweet, bitter, slightly nutty

Skin: Sweet, heavy magnolia spiced up.

Sensual, yes, musky, yes, but its giving me a headache :D

I didn't get any citrus, just mostly powerful magnolia. This stuff is strong, and needs to be applied lightly.

Its so pungent, I felt a bit sick; I actually had to wash it off. This is the first time I have ever done this to a BPAL oil without waiting for the drydown :D

Much as I love the flower, I have sadly come to realise I can't wear magnolias; especially the gardenia type. I will probably give the imp away to someone who can.

Why oh why can't I get along with white flowers? :P

I second this statement, "A thick, steamy scent, truly sinister in its voluptuous sexuality." That's EXACTLY what this is - sinister in its voluptuous sexuality. Ah, now I smell the spice...In the bottle and first on, all I get is flowers - sweet full-bodied flowers - the perfume of a hot Southern Belle. Then the spice steps up. And the smoke. Now, this is Hell's Belle!! This is VERY sweet, and VERY floral, even though it is nearly equal parts floral, smoke, and spice. It's also super creamy. This reminds me of the perfect perfume for a pinup rockabilly/psychobilly babe it's smokin hot and sinister with a lot of southern charm! I will wear this on those days I feel like going for a pinup girl vibe!

ETA: This turns totally incensey on the far end of the drydown. I love incense scents, so that only makes this on that much more attractive to me!

Edited by TheOneTheyCallLuna

Source: Imp from the Lab (actually two imps--somehow I got an extra)

Unfortunately (especially since I have an extra imp), this doesn't work on me at all. I don't see any listed notes that it has in common with Voodoo but alas they both turn bad on my skin chemistry in exactly the same way--I get a sharp, high, almost sour note that reminds of the smell when you walk into an old hair salon, like something they use to give permanents. I wish I knew what that note was so I could avoid it, because it just makes certain scents go horribly wrong on me. Usually I can see the point of BPAL perfumes even when they don't suit my own style, but my skin chemistry just hates something thats in this. :P

Just got this imp from a forumite and couldn't resist sniffing and testing...not sure if its me.

In imp: magnolia---very magnolia--looking around for Scarlett O'Hara magnolia. I'm worried...

Wet on skin: now I smell like Scarlett O'Hara, too bad I don't look like Vivian Leigh. :P Magnolia is definately the top note, but toned down with something behind it. It actually isn't too bad, not smothering, kind of bright, maybe the mandarin...I'm not sure I would recognize oleander.

Drydown: still bright, clear, magnolia-with-something-else. Medium throw. I was worried that it would be a drowning in flowers, thick, heavy scent but it isn't really. I don't get musk or spice, but I get hints of what is probably the mandarin. Seems to stay fairly well.

This is an interesting scent. Not at all what I was expecting and probably not really "me" as it is very floral and perfumey. It is not cloying, sickly sweet, or old lady like many florals go on my skin. I don't know if I will keep the imp or pass it along. I'll give it one more try before deciding.

very sexy floral.

on first sniff, i got mostly mandarin, but then everything else comes out.

out of the 4 ive tried, this is my favorite.

(and esp yummy layered over Debauchery)

Hmmm.... not bad but Magnolia is not one of my favorite scents... I can also smell the Oleander in a real big kick. Nice spicy but not for me.

Bottle: Mangolias

Wet: Creamy floral! Some musk coming out now. It's a bit strong for me, but very sexy.

Drydown: I don't get any mandarin or spice, which disappoints me! But it's a very nice floral, and I don't wear many florals!

3.0 outta 5

in the imp: magnolia, spice. mmmmm

wet on skin: the spice receded a bit, and the magnolia is coming forward, and mixing with another spicy floral- carnation.

dry down: the spice comes back. it's doesn't smell like a single note, but like an assortment of christmastime spices- ginger, nutmeg, a tiny bit of cinnamon, plus the carnation and the magnolia in the background.

in all: a lovely, musky floral, it's one for a 'crossover' audience- those that like deep smoky fragrances as well as those that like florals will take to this one. :P

this one is ok. i can smell the mandarin and then it fades to something light.

its a bit too floral for me so i think this is also a pass

I seriously feel like I've accidentally gotten a bottle of something else here!!!

In the bottle

Dragon's Blood, possibly cedar and cypress. A hint of something floral, maybe lilac.

On Me

The Dragons' Blood dominates, and all I'm getting from this is a strong resiny hippy-type scent. Eventually when it dries down there's a powdery note.

In short: it's not nasty, but it doesn't really do anything special for me. Since my son tore the label on the imp, I'll use it up, but I won't be buying more of it.

Edited by LadyLuckDoubt

Oh, wow! This is wonderful!

At first it's rather soporific and heady; as it dries it becomes a deep soft floral with a spicy edge and a bit of citrus jazzing up the flowers. Extremely wicked and coquettish. Use with caution :P

Beautiful spicy orange scent...but it turns too much into a potpourri rendition on me. I was really hoping this would turn out more sweet and fiery but it doesn't like my chemistry I guess. I'm a little heart broken. :P

Even though I've never been to the south, I like to experience it vicariously through magnolias. Magnolias have become one of my favorite flowers because of the way they smell one me--heady and lush. On me, I smell likes spiced magnolias with hints of mandarin orange. The slight citrus smell complements the flowers and musk very nicely. This is a perfect nighttime/clubbing scent. it makes me feel very sexy....and a little hungry. BPAL oils with spice in it always seem to make me hungry for some reason. I'm defiitley keeping my imp.

In the bottle it's pure musk, almost overpowering. Wet the musk is still there but it gets a bit of sweetness to it. Dry it's musk with a floral that I would assume is magnolia. I actually like this one, but it gives me headaches.

Frimp! Based on the frimps I've gotten this batch, I think the lab is catering to my love of warm spicy scents and has been passing on variations that I might not have considered.

This one is definitely mandarin and magnolia. Magnolia can be pretty loud (I can smell a tree from fifty feet away when it's got 15-20 blossoms open) but it's not TOO loud in this, thankfully - and the mandarin and the musk keep it sweet and spicy.

I bet this is going to be awesome in about a month.

This has a nice almost candy like sweetness that plays very nicely with the florals. My only complaint is that it is soo mellow and seemed to have disapered soon after I put it on, one of those, really close to the wrist to get a whiff scents.

In the imp: Orangey and floral. There's a definite showing of musk in there too.

Wet: Very floral (mostly magnolia) with a spicy and musky bite.

Dry: Blends into a rich musky/spicy orgy of mostly magnolia proportions, haha.

Overall: If you love magnolias, you'll probably love this. I love this. =D

Oh my! I got this as a frimp with an eBay order...and it's definitely up on my big bottle list.

Very sexy, very rich...the magnolia and musk work together beautifully, and while I'm not normally a citrus fan, the mandarin is beautiful, and according to the reaction I'm getting from the friend I have with me, definitely one that I'm going to have to play with again!

And coincidentally, it goes perfectly with the corset laced velvet skirt and crushed chiffon shirt I'm wearing right now...I feel like I've got total licence to go play the vamp now...what fun!

Heavy on the magnolia and I'm not nuts about that smell. It makes me a little queasy. There's a sweetness from the mandarin and some spices and musk but mostly it's magnoliamagnoliamagnolia. I'll stick with the nail polish!

In bottle/imp: Deep, sweet, and thick fruity floral notes and musk.

Immediately on skin: This is a very sexual, womanly scent. It’s a thick, sweet layer of blossoms with a touch of fruit and rich musk. I think the musk in this might be red musk, since that seems to go almost fruity and red on me and that’s how this one smells. It’s like floral and red musk gummy candies almost, but this isn’t really overly sweet.

After a little while: The mandarin has come out a bit in this scent, but it’s still a very thick, sweet and rich floral with a nice fruitiness and a base of juicy musk. It’s hard to describe since this whole scent almost smells like a thick, ruby syrup made out of all of the notes. It’s very nicely blended but very heady as well.

Overall Impressions: This is a thick and juicy floral, fruity, and musky blend. It’s very sexual and feminine, and definitely diabolical. It’s a lot like Unheavenly City, only Hell’s Belle seems a bit thicker and a little bit sour compared to UC. They are very close, though. This is a very sexy and heady blend, so don’t be surprised by the looks you’ll get when you wear it!

Oh, vile!! Something in this is just not working at all with my chemistry. At first just a hot perfumy smell, probably magnolia on a rampage. The waft just smells like unpleasant overbearing floral perfume but when I put my nose right to my wrist it smells “broken”, that smell when a note really doesn’t work with your chemistry and seems to refract into a chemical scent.

After an hour I am not getting any musky or fruity notes at all.

Must wash it off now.

Edited by Myrrha