Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Shollin

Bewitched

Deep, luscious green and berry scents that evoke images of woodland witchcraft and the raw power of nature: blackberry, sage, green tea, wild berries and dark musk.

In the imp: Clean. I definitely get the green tea and the blackberry. Very nice. Smells drinkable (don't worry I won't!).

On the wrist, wet: Very clean and fresh smelling. Invigorating. Not too sweet. Definitely getting the tea from this, first and foremost.

On the wrist, drydown: The berries are starting to come through now, but not too strong. I hope they don't overpower the fresh clean tea smell!

Bugger.

This starts out as a wonderful tea scent, but turns into more berries than anything. I am going to try this again some other time before making any decisions about it.

ETA: Lab description. Edited by Shollin

Bewitched marks a lot of firsts for me: first scent I picked for my very first order and the first one I tried out of the box. Fortunately . . . While I was kind of stumbling around in the dark there, having never even smelled BPAL fragrances before, this one sealed the deal. :P

The berries were perfect--realistic, and not too sweet. The fragrance was a little dark, a little woodsy, and I discovered that I loved the scent of green tea added to a blend. Now, with a jewelry box stuffed with imps and bottles, this one remains a favorite, and not just for sentimental reasons. Bewitched still strikes me as balanced, a little mysterious, and unlike any of the traditional perfumes I'd ever tried before.

Bewitched:

In the bottle:

I can definitely smell both the blackberry (strongest note) and sage. Also a little raspberry. Smells yummy here, but I have some concerns that it may turn old-lady (perhaps the sage here) on me in this blend. We shall see.

Wet:

OOO! This reminds me of a favorite incense or potpourri I had about 15 years ago or so. After just a minute, the berry comes out strongest, but the incense smell is still strong on me. Perhaps that is a combo of the green tea and sage. I am excited to see how this does! :P

20 minutes later:

Even more incense-y on me. I swear it smells JUST like that incense/potpourri that I loved. It is a very pleasant scent-memory.

An hour later:

Starting to fade, sadly. :D It still has the incense/potpourri smell, but it is very light. It did NOT turn old-lady on me at all. It seems like it won't be very long-lasting on me, but it is pleasant. I can still smell the blackberry, but everything is muted and faded. My co-worker said "mmmm!!! Berries!" just now.

After a few hours:

Almost totally gone now. Alas.

Summary:

I like this scent, but I might like it better as a room scent since it has such a strong scent-memory for me. Nice though.

Bottle: sweet blackberry with a hint of sage

Wet: after a moment of sweet blackberry bubblegum, the sweetness mellows into the sage

Dry: beautiffully balanced between the blackberry and sage, not too sweet, just enough of the herbal note to deepen the blackberry

It gets really soft, not a powdery soft, but soft in a comforting way. This is a very cozy scent, feels purple and is balanced so nicely. I can definitely see this as a bewitching potion from a fairytale forest. This would be great paired with any of the Lush blackberry scents

This is absolutely beautiful right out of the imp. A nice, clean sage with a distinct blackberry background and a slight musky base. Yum!

Unfortunately, the sage only stuck with me for about two minutes. After that, I had a slightly musky berry scent, which was quite nice, but not for me. I'm just not a berry-scented sort of person. And the berry scent only stuck with me for a couple of hours.

If the sage would hang in there, and everything lasted longer, I would love this. I guess it's just not a good match for my body chemistry. (sigh...)

In the bottle: Winter berries and faint greenery.

On me: The berry is dominant, but seems like a wild winter berry smell than anything... a nice if subtle distinction. Was hoping for more sage and musk, but sage would be so subtle as to be overwhelmed. The musk is there as an undercurrent that makes me think about old-timey holiday parties, drinking and eating elaborate courses and dancing, but fades out. And then this is a berry perfume. Green tea? Not on me. I'll be looking to swap this one.

In the imp: A little sharp, but yup, berries and green tea.

On my skin: I was afraid the sage was gonna have that sweaty note I hate in the actual plant, but nope. It just kind of blends with the green tea in the background, while the berries are in the forefront. I am *not* getting blackberries out of this blend, by the way. I'm not completely sure what I'm getting but it's not blackberries.

Later: Oh. Blackcurrant. The same kind as in Bordello. That's what it is.

Blackcurrant gives me a headache :P

I actually like the wet stage and the final drydown (which is pure green tea), but I might have to swap this. I'll give it a couple more tries first.

I'm suprised that I didn't write a review for this before but here goes nothing.

I love berries, I love tea but I wasn't really sure about the sage or the musk. In the bottle it's all berries, infact when I got this out of my box it was all I could smell over all the other imps in my pack.

On my skin it seems to mellow out. It stays mostly Berries and Tea which makes me happy the musk and the sage stay in the background just keeping the sent from becoming too sweet and fruit. This is perfect, I can't wear it all the time because the berries are so loud but I really love it and will reach for it often.

Lush, wet and sharp. If Baneberry and Juliet had a romp in the woods, this would be their love child! I love both of those scents, but not together.

3.5 out of 5

In the bottle: One of my first thoughts was "Snapple raspberry tea!" when I sniffed this. Not very sexy, but it sure smells good!

Wet on skin: A bit more sophisticated out of the bottle than in the bottle. It's not quite as "edible" and more like something I'd love to have as incense. I can smell the berries, but they're accompanied by something much greener.

Dry on skin: Much the same as wet on the skin. I think it still smells a lot like berry herbal tea, but in a sexier way than Snapple or Stash. Does that make any sense?

Verdict: This is one of three 10ml bottles I own. I adore this.

Starts out as a spicy incense smell which is promising, but morphs into a berry fruit drink smell and the incense is lost unless I huff hard on my wrist.

Its nice enough, but I don't want to smell like a wild berry fruit drink!

In the bottle: Sweet but herbal and very green, this one intrigues me. The sage gives it a sharpness, but it doesn't overwhelm the berries.

On the skin: The sage comes to the top immediately, and now it does overpower the rest of the scent. I detect just a hint of fruit underneath it, but as it starts to dry the blackberry, in particular, really amps up. I can finally smell the green tea now (couldn't find it at all in the bottle). This one morphs all over the place, and rapidly, because it dries much more quickly than some others have.

Verdict: It finally settles into a very sweet, creamy scent. In my mind's eye, it's like sipping a relaxing cup of green tea while eating berries and yogurt for breakfast on a sunny desert patio, with the light scent of sage drifting along the breeze. Sometimes the wind gusts and the sage is stronger, and sometimes it's very light.

I came by this one originally through a swap with a friend on LJ, and then got a bottle for a good price at the bpalseattle Meet 'n Sniff last Sunday. I hadn't actually had a chance to try it in the imp that Jen sent me, but I got to sniff and test it Sunday and loved it, so I purchased it on the spot. This is the third General Catalog scent I've liked lately, which is much better for my pocketbook too.

IN THE BOTTLE: This one came as part of an eBay goodie box, so it was a total surprise, and not one I would've picked immediately from the notes described. In the bottle, it's cloyingly fruity. The blackberries are front and center.

WET: OH. Here come the other notes, the green tea and dark musk especially, giving this scent some depth. ::keeps sniffing:: This is quite promising.

30 MINUTES LATER: Believe it or not, within half an hour, the scent had changed, and had gone sort of fresh and green. It's still quite intriguing.

ONE HOUR LATER: It's now equal between the dark berries and the green tea/sage. This is a gorgeous scent!

THROW: High, but probably because I had overdone it. People kept turning around and anticipating my arrival in various rooms because the scent was preceding me, so we'll adjust "Oh, here she comes now" down to medium throw.

COMMENTS: I can't get enough of this scent. It smells fresh, but isn't simple. I find myself wanting to slather it on like crazy.

NEEDS TO BE REFRESHED: Because the fragrance kept changing, and I loved all the changes, I probably refreshed this one every couple of hours just for the hell of it. Toward the end of the day, I wanted to find out what it finally faded into, and was astounded to find that it was changed yet again. Like Belle Epoque, letting this one go through all of its variations is the best.

COLOR: I get color senses with fragrances - chalk it up to synesthesia, which usually only gets me with music. This color "sense" on this one changed as the fragrance changed. It's either hard, glossy green (think clean and growing, not "freshly mown lawn") or dusky purple-black (that's got to be the blackberries). It was like a blackberry going from hard green bud to ripe, black fruit right there.

PURCHASING: Oh, yes. I will have a big bottle. Maybe more than one?

In the bottle: Berries!

Wet: Clean and bright and sweet. I like this! There's a little sharpness from the sage, but I like that, too.

Drydown: Mmm, this gets warmer as it dries. I think I just need to get every BPAL ever that has any sort of tea in it, because this is just gorgeous. I'm not even normally into fruity smells.

While wearing: I am so keeping this imp, if not buying more. This is just so pretty. I've noticed that my chemisty tends to "warm up" otherwise cool, crisp blends, and this is no exception. It must be the musk that's coming through. This is very true to its name and description. I love it!

Bewitched-

(I just read the blurb on this--that's so funny, I was just looking for blackberry sage scented products this morning! Wild.)

In Bottle: Mm, very sweet and rich and fruit-floral!

Wet: Brightly fruity. I can't tell if it's blackberry but it's nice.

Dry: Not aggressive; dries down to a very pleasant scent. I want to use this one in things like sachets for cupboards and the like!

Overall: Very nice, useful scent!

Bewitched probably should have been on my wishlist ages ago--woodland witchcraft? Oh yeah! However, I wasn't into berries for the longest time after Jester (too...happy), and only recently realized how much I love blackberry *and* green tea. Now I'm kicking myself for not trying this sooner--wet, I get the nummy berry note from Eat Me, but instead of foody, it's fresh and clean. The musk takes over pretty quickly, making it harder to detect the delicate green tea. I think that, while I may not need a bottle, this is a great fall scent and I will use up my imp.

Oh my gosh, I wasn't sure that I'd like this from the description because I had bad luck with other berry and forest scents but Bewitched is GORGEOUS. I get the blackberry sage tea impression and the cute witchy forest impression as well. Adjectives that come to mind include crisp, lush, and happy because just wearing it makes me smile, it's such an incredibly nice smell. I need a bottle of this one! :P

In the bottle: mmm, berries and sage!

On the skin, this is very herbal, in a kitcheny sort of way. It smells like my mother’s spice drawer, which doesn’t have any spices in it (go figure!) but is full of dried herbs.

Once it starts to dry, though… what a change! The berries come right out, and they’re so nice! I love the scent of blackberries, but most candle or perfume scents that I’ve tried with berry in them are very artificial smelling and far too sweet. Bewitched is not like that. This is a very realistic berry scent, which is delightful! Oh, and the sage is still present (and I’ve gotten no hint of tea, which suits me just fine), but the longer you wear it, the more berrylicious it gets! The final stage smells like fresh raspberries and blackberries to me. Divine!

If you’re looking for a great berry scent, Bewitched is for you!

The sage and green tea are *very* apparent in this blend. There's a very lovely berry blend wafting about in the background. If the overabundance of sage would go away, this would be a beautiful berry scent... almost competing with Rosalind. The musk lends just the right amount of darkness to this blend without overpowering anything else. Masterfully blended! Upon further drydown... Yay! The sage went away! Just as I'd hoped this is a very lovely berry blend with the musk lending a slight touch of masculinity to keep it from being just like every other berry scent out there. Very good blend. May have to order a bottle of this one too. :P

This was top on my list to try... I love blackberry sage tea, so how could I not love this? And I did. Yummy berry, sweet but a heady sweetness, not sickly, and a delicious little bit of herbiness. Sadly, I put it on before bed, and woke up to find my face all swollen up. Stupid allergies. It's got to go on my swap pile. :P

It took me a while to place it, but this smells exactly like the inside of a Lush store. It's berries with a sweet herbal feel to it. It's almost intoxicatingly sweet and a bit tart. Very nice.

Reminds me of something I would smell at my favourite loose tea shop! Physically chilling when it first hits my skin. I love the berry in this, and blackberries and I usually don't get along. I think it may be blackberries with booze I don't like, though! I can definitely pick out sage and green tea in addition to the sweetness of the berry, and it's really, really lovely. I'll have to wear this imp a few more times before I make any decisions about it, but I do really like it right now- and the musk is this beautiful base that reminds me of Dorian. (The scent itself is nothing like Dorian, but it reminds me of the lovely, creamy musk in Dorian)

ETA: Wow! The more I wear this, the more I like it! I think I must need a bottle! The green tea smells so refreshing, and the blackberry and sage combine with it in such a lovely, understated way! Gorgeous.

Edited by cordia