Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Shollin

Malediction

Evil incarnate. Revel in your dark side with this romantically cruel scent. Contains red patchouli and vetivert.

It smells like a forest fire. Or Lapsang Souchong, honestly I can only take a small whiff of the imp as it can bring tears to my eyes on how strong it is. Though I have been wrong in the past when it comes to imp to skin.

LUCKILY it mellows out really fast and I start to feel like smoke shop, or several parties I went to in high school :P, this is a definitely a dark blend, it makes me think about wearing velvet and dark eyeshadow :D

Glad I tried it but this isn’t me at all and is going right into the swap pile and me to the bathroom to scrub this off!

The imp I got is about half full of syrupy, brownish-red, resinous-looking liquid that resembles old blood.

In the imp it isn't bad at all, really. I always think Vetivert (clean Vetivert, that is) smells a lot like fresh paper currency. With Patchouli fistfighting it for the #1 slot in this blend, I am confused about how it will smell on. I wasn't prepared for the cedary blast of horror that appeared about two mintes after applying. I was equally unprepared for the clingyness. I re-showered when I realized no more (posetive) morphing was going to happen, and whispers of it are still catching me off guard.

This is a room scent possibility (for that room you don't want people in, maybe?), but its absurdly, completely, and utterly not cool on my skin.

Edited by Indig0

Yoiks & away ! As I'm sure is obvious if you've gotten this far into the reviews , this is mighty strong stuff . Not for the faint of heart or nose . I also agree with the smelling like a cedar chest comments . I don't know that it's much different to my nose for other scents that have a strong patchouli note . Most things I try that are like that , all I smell is the patchouli . Don't know that I'm getting any vetiver at all here . This sin't as overwhelming to me as Brimstone was . That stuff was brutal . This is strong , but I can deal with this strength level .

On me, Malediction is more patchouli than vetiver. It's a very deep, dark scent and while interesting, it's not me.

I don't get the woodsy depth described in some of the reviews, though I did with Black Annis. Red patchouli likes me but I can't get a whiff of it here. Midnight Kiss and Lust are some of my favourite scents but this was almost like what I would imagine a vetiver single note to be. I've found that my skin amps vetiver. Saturnalia smelled the same as Malediction to me, though my boyfriend said he definately smelled violets. Maybe its my nose, I don't know, but I felt like Malediction was a scent that made me smell like an antediluvian vampire fresh out of her grave. Which is kind of cool, but I'll probably swap it when the right offer comes my way.

in the imp: thick, heavy vetiver.

wet on skin: yup. vetiver.

dry down: straight vetiver. no change.

in all: if you adore vetiver, get this. perhaps you can detect some variation that i couldn't pick up on with my nose.

:P

Probably the oddest scent I've tried yet--a frimp in my latest received order. I haven't had any experience with the (feared and hated) vetiver note yet, so I'm curious about this.

But... in the bottle and wet--How strange! It smells like... Liquid Smoke, that seasoning you have to use sparingly or bad things happen (speaking from experience here). I smell like I poured hickory smoke on my wrist... no, wait! I smell like BACON. Why would a person want to smell like bacon?

Thinking this must be an artifact of my skin chemistry, I decided to leave it on and see if it metamorphosed. And (thankfully) after another hour, it did. A slow breath of pine started peeking out from underneath the barbeque pit smoke, and a while after that, it was smoky cedar and pine... the smell of a bonfire on a chilly night in the woods of the Pacific Northwest... very nice.

(I'm still not sure I want to spend any time smelling like bacon to get here, though. I will have to consider this.)

Rating: ????? Very odd. Interesting. I like the theory of it, but I think my tastes tend toward sweeter and greener scents.

This is the only imp that has ever made me FLINCH upon opening it!!!! So strong!! So...I'm sorry, but so terrible! It actually made my dog GROWL when I held the wand out towards him (he loves smelling everything in the world).

I tried to try it on but it made me smell like a burnt tire doused in soy sauce and I could not stick around for further developments. Jeeeeeeeeeepers. Definitely unique, definitely evil, def. not me. Swap pile gets a bit fatter.

Well, it certainly has staying power. That's one good thing I can say for it. If only the patchouli were strong enough to fight off the vetiver; there's no way they're going to blend into something good on my skin.

The drydown was tolerable, but for the first 2 hours I smelled like motor oil.

1st impression: Very, very smoky. It’s a swirling, red, smoky, fire and brimstone kind of scent. It makes me think of the sudden arrival of a wicked villainess in a Disney film(?!) Dries to a smoky scent a bit like Djinn? It’s like a husky voiced older woman, who’s a bit sexy and has a wicked sense of humour, and you can’t help liking her, despite your reservations. She’s a little bit dangerous, too. Great staying power, too - it still lingered the morning after I tried it (at night.)

at first this is 100% vetiver. dank, musty and heavy. then the patchouli becomes noticeable, and it’s like the most raw, earthy patchouli you can get. there is nothing refined about it. the color this scent brings to mind is pitch black. it’s all woods and wet earth, being lost in the deep woods in the middle of the night. evil in a bottle, indeed! i love it.

If Satan would wear perfume - this would be it. EEEEEVIL :P

Lol. This is incredibly dark, heavy and acrid vetivert with a really, really weird, smoky "sweetness". Very hard to describe. The patchouli is the raw, earthy, green kind that I actually like. So when the vetivert has faded a bit it actually smells a bit like Lush's Tramp showergel underneath.

Could I please have that patchouli as single note? I'll keep it for aging, maybe the vetivert fades a bit with time as it does in other blends.

This one smacked me in the face and yelled "I HOPE YOU LIKE VETIVER!!!" ...unfortunately, I despise vetiver with a fiery passion and this smells exactly like vetiver essential oil. I'm sure the patchouli is on there somewhere, but it's lost on my nose.

I have to qualify that I wouldn't have gotten this for myself since I pretty much knew it had to be doomed from the start, still I'm glad I got this as a frimp and no longer have to wonder whether I can suck it up and stomach the lab's vetiver note. Clearly, I cannot.

In the Imp, wet, and on dry down, this smells of only one thing: cedar. And it is strong; like being trapped inside a cedar chest. Except for a brief moment during dry down, where it gets an added hint of earthiness, this does not morph at all.

This is definitely not for me, but if you are looking for cedar, or would like a strong, masculine scent, you might give this one a try.

Gah. This is like smelling brimstone... it's got this acrid smoky smell (ah vetivert, at least you don't smell like smoky bacon) with a slight 'clean' edge that is still stinky (ah patchouli).

This smells like someone cursing someone else. Foul.

love patchouli, hate vetiver. tried this anyway. i feel like a public bbq pit smells - burnt meat, ashes and cedar.

i don't eat meat and i don't like the smell of ashes - so now i'm gonna go wash this off.

sorry, patchouli, you weren't strong enough to overpower the rest.

Wow, I have never had a scent scare me so much out of the bottle. I was like "GET IT AWAY!" at first whiff. It was very strong and honestly, the first impression I got was... Indians. I don't mean it in a racist way, it's just that some Indians here wear an oil that smells somewhat similiar.

A few days later and now all I smell is... groundnuts?! Am I mad?! Nope, no, not working on me one bit, it's foul groundnuts through and through... and rather headache-inducing, I might add.

Le sigh. *Goes to wash*

Oh dear god, this blend is a total nightmare for me...patchouli and vetiver...together...alone! I want to run away screaming into the night and never look back. I can't pull this one off. Sorry.

Evil incarnate is spot-on with this scent. Vetiver and patchouli are not my friends in this blend. I can wear patchouli depending on what other notes are blended in the oil, but patchouli and vetiver together alone are not good. This scent is intense smoky fire and brimstone vetiver.

Definitely not for me.

I keep hoping I will find a vetiver I like so that I'll understand what the vetiver lovers are feeling, and from the reviews it would seem that this one may have been tolerable. But alas Its the same stinky burning rubber on my skin. *sigh*

wait!wait! In process of adding this review, I'm noticing a very slow change, I'm quick on the draw with vetiver because it is so initially foul on me, but this now is turning into a cedary smell... well now this is tolerable. hmmm... did I find a vetiver???