Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Sign in to follow this  
edenssixthday

Bogle

BOGLE
A garish shellycoat: red currant, Spanish mandarin, pumpkin, quince, wild blueberry, and ginger with green tea, vanilla bean, frankincense, tonka, and vetiver.

Bogle - Oh wow, this is awesome! It's like this big mixed-up, mish-mashy, jumble of rowdy, boisterous scents. As I'm reading the scent descriptions, I keep thinking, yep, I smell that one, and that one, and that one... and so on. Every single note listed is present and accounted for. As it dries on my skin, the vetiver, tonka, and frankincense, give it a nice warm depth, and the rest of the notes swirl around each other creating this amazing amalgamation of scents that are unique and distinct, yet together they create something that's so warm and delicious -- foody, but not really in a gourmand way, but more like the way you would pick up multiple scents in the air all at the same time wafting your way from different corners of the farmer's market and rather than thinking, oh those don't belong together, the scents blend perfectly to become the scent you identify as the farmer's market fragrance. That's what this is like, only the individual, unique scents all come together to create Bogle, which is like no other BPAL I've smelled before. It's phenomenal!

Really, really interesting scent. The fruity element is sweet, but balanced out by the vetiver and tonka. The only thing that didn't work for me was the frankincense. I took a gamble on this scent because of the other notes, but in the drydown, the frankincense really comes out on my skin, and I'm allergic. If I didn't have that issue, though, Bogle would be wonderful!

bottle: wow! i smell pumpkin and quince, tea, spice... oranges... it's very jumbled but in the best way possible. like a giant party with lots of interesting guests.

wet: red currant takes the lead right out of the gate but i can smell so many other scents...quince, pumpkin, mandarin, tea, tonka... it's a delightful explosion of scents.

dry: incredibly beautiful, i can smell the frankincense and vanilla more as this dries down but non of the other notes are fading. this is such a fun scent, i can see myself wearing it to parties this season! (oh, and even though i adore vetiver, i did not get even a hint of it in this blend!)

I agree with the other reviews so far that this is a jumbled up scent. Everything seems to be just thrown together---and it works! The fruits are very much tempered with the vetiver, but if you don't like vetiver (I don't myself), fear not. It does not take over this scent at all.

As I sniff, I can pick up almost every note, but the ones that stand out strongest on my skin are pumpkin, frankincense, and vetiver.

Why Bogle, why don't you smell awesome??? You'd think by all the wonderful components like pumpkin, wild blueberry, ginger, red currant & frankincense that it would be a huge hit but it's not. A big jumbled pile of blah! I think it's the vetiver that ruined it for me. Or maybe too many components trying to compete with each other? Not one note stands out. It just smells wrong, generic. :twisted:

~

Edited by boxinghelena

In the bottle, Bogle smells strongly of rich smoky blueberry, which is gorgeous. Smoky blueberry?! Awesome. :wub2: There's also a tiny hint of pumpkin-mandarin-ginger (very faint, not buttery) that reminds me of Pumpkin Queen. THIS is what Blue Pumpkin Floss should smell like! :lol:

However, I have to say that when I put it on, it's smelling more... limp. Fruit dust. :huh?: I'm hoping this is a fluke (I think I'm coming down with something and feel very "off" today... things aren't tasting right and such) because I know this is a beautiful oil. It's so complex, but it just seems to wither and die on my skin. Sigh. I think I'll put it away for awhile and see how it fares in a couple weeks.

In the imp - buttered sweet popcorn. On my skin, it was a scent explosion with everything jumbled together and quite yummy. Unfortunately, following the initial blast, this scent has faded rather quickly on me. Nearly four hours after application, I can barely smell it and all that is left is a bit of vanilla.

Too bad, really, because I liked this one. :cry2:

finally! a "foody" scent that I like! normally, pumpkin gets amped so much I can't wear it, and foody scents I do NOT like ON me.

but this one is a sweet-foody scent that I like.

initially very strong, but good in a matter of seconds. within an hour or two it's faded considerably though :( but I still like sniffing my wrist

I do get lots of different scents in one, but they are quite well blended (ie they don't scream at me like Floating Market). I *think* blueberry is the dominant note on me.

I would love to have more than my tiny tester so I could slather some on and Really test it!

Bogle has a lot going on. It's creamy and sweet from the vanilla and tonka, slightly resinous from the frankincense, tart and fresh from the red currant and tea, and oddly warm & foodie smelling from the pumpkin. It smells similar to Monarch, but with much more of a tart and fruity edge. Red currant is intensely tart and sour on me, and it plus the tea smells like smelling a packet of lemonade drink powder. After about a half hour, it's nothing but that sour fruitiness.

Bogle is a too tart & dry for me. I have trouble wearing intensely fakey/fruity scents like this, so I'm hoping that the fruit and sharper notes chill out with some aging.

ETA: This has changed a bit with age. It now starts off as buttery, spicy pumpkin and a smoky, incensey mix of frankincense and vetiver and dries down to tart red currant and lemony green tea with the smokiness and hints of spice. Very dry and tart on the fruity notes. Reminds me of craft store potpourri and plastic fake flowers... my bottle is going to my sales page.

Edited by Little Bird

I was hoping that this would be the oil that came with my Tricksy pack. Sniffomancy works, folks. It really, really does. :D

I'm still a little stopped up from my recent cold, but... There is so much goodness to smell here that it had no trouble cutting through the grunge. In the bottle, I smell smoky, slightly buttery blueberry and red currant. It almost reminds me of a holiday punch my mother used to make for her big parties. Fun scent association, so it got me excited about it right away.

Wet on me, there's none of the buttery scent from the bottle. It goes to sweet, tart berries, a tiny snap of ginger, Frankincense, and vetiver. (I adore vetiver, but I think even if you don't, this vetiver won't overwhelm you. It just adds a smoky depth.} I get no pumpkin out of this at all, or vanilla, not on my skin.

Dry down. Berries, incense, and smoke. This is gorgeous. It just kicked The Infernal Lover off its number one spot. I'm going to cry when I use the last bit of this, but until then I will enjoy every drop.

Edited by DarkSinestra

Wh... what the hell?

That about sums up my thoughts.

I couldn't wait to try this because it seemed SO awesome. I mean, seriously, all the scents listed sounded great! Red currant I love, mandarin, pumpkin.. I do not know the smell of quince but I expect it is something I would enjoy... Blueberries are awesome, ginger, green tea... and vanilla is easily one of my favorite scents.

I am not very familiar with Frankincense, but I expected it to be one, faint in this blend, and two, that it would smell something like myrrh.

Tonka I know is supposed to smell like vanilla, almond, etc...

And vetiver I had never smelled.

So there is something I hate hate hate in this blend (and I have a super-easy-to-please skin so I doubt it's me amping up something weird... I smell it in the bottle as well anyways..) that I suspect must be either frankinsence or vetiver.

It's my first time ever ever ever not liking a perfume, especially a BPAL one so I'm super disappointed. I really hope someone can help me identify the problem scent (that seems to be somewhat reminiscent of Caraway...)

Hours and hours and hours later it is finally smelling decent... "incense berries and wood" allright.. but it took the whole day. I guess I might've put too much (but I used the same amount as usual)

I will need to try this a second time, but so far, it is going to be sold or swapped.

Bogle to me smells like fun. There is sweet, fruity and just a hint of smoke. It smells like the perfect night to go trick or treating, with a touch of smoke in the air, the epic sugar rush from the hard candy you're crunching on and enough of a whiff of fruit (from that juice pack you've been sucking on).

It's young, sweet, but not so sweet that you can't wear it. Definitely the standout BPTP inquisition scent in my mind.

I had high hopes for this blend, and was a little scared of the vetiver note going in, but Bogle completely surprised me. It starts off slightly foody, with whiffs of fruity warm pumpkin. It's creamy and spicy and really pretty. The pumpkin isn't overworked with spice and it is also slightly buttery. Frankincense and vetiver help cut the sweetness and adds depth and a smoky resin feel. Overall a really stunning blend.

I've worn this three times, and every time it made me happy.

I can't really say what it smells like because I can't pick out anything individually. It's definitely fruity -- kind of a red fruit? -- and it has a little bit of a spice kick that I guess is from the ginger. It smells a bit like fruitcake to me, to be honest. And now that I'm reading the notes and I see that it has green tea in it, I think maybe I can smell a little bit of tea. But I wouldn't have been able to tell you it had tea in it just from sniffing it.

It's unusual, but it's quite pleasant. Cheerful, even.

This is just a bit too strong for me - the ginger gives it a super kick which I like but it's just too sharp/sperfumey/men's cologney for what I was looking for, though the dry down is makes it prettier and more feminine and lets the tonka shine. Not horrible, but glad I didn't commit to a bottle...

Edited by violetblue

I'm glad countessmouse said it first. It smells like buttery popcorn. And candy. :-) Like being in a movie theater. I thought my nose might be broken, so I've tested it three or four times and it's the same each time.

Not a bad smell but I have to admit, it's not something I can see myself wearing frequently. It's foody. The popcorn smell goes away, but it leaves a candy-and-spice scent behind that is very faint.

Wet, red currant, and evergreen and some nuts. Dry, a dusty, spicy fruit with an edge that makes it smell very festive. I still get a bit of nuts, not one of my fave notes, so this blend is a no go.

This is a lotta smells in one bottle. First, blueberry and spicy pumpkin, then a little smoke, and then red currant and tea. I've tested this one a couple of times, and I still don't know what I really think of it. I think that I'm drawn to it because I find it to be very different, but ultimately, it's not something I'd wear.

Bogle

On: Sweet, bright red currant and a ton of other delicious fruits. Very nice. I also am getting a bit of sweetness from the vanilla bean and/or tonka.

1.5 hours in: Mostly smells of some sort of wood.

5 hours in: Still the scent of wood, but with a tiny bit of sweetness.

7 hours in: Powdery, a bit sweet, but still mostly wood.

Overall: I don't like how this develops on me.

Another vetiver scent bites the dust. Until the vetiver came out this was very pretty- soft fruity vanilla and very complex, but once the vetiver came out that was it for me. Sadness! Without the vetiver coming out this would have been LOVELY!

I recently was lucky enough to acquire a bottle of Bogle, and it works really well on me. It is a perfect blend for the transition between summer and autumn. Testing blind I was thinking there was plum in the mix (probably the redcurrant) and bergamot (king mandarin) and maybe almond; I would not have guessed vetiver at all. The ginger is more like the spice rack kind than the screechy raw variant, the vanilla and pumpkin act as rich grounding notes, and it all works together beautifully.

Bogle makes me think of having a picnic in the Napa Valley on a gorgeous crisp fall day when all the grapevines have turned brilliant reds and yellows. Low throw and wear length, but I am perfectly happy to reapply.