Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
strahlend

The Grave-Pig

THE GRAVE-PIG
Fig, oakmoss, mushroom caps, and patchouli.

I've been testing this out for a couple days now and I still can't really add much more than is in the initial description. I smell soft fig backed up by the most gentle patchouli with a lightly round sort of component that could well be the mushroom caps - I keep getting the feeling of currents although they aren't listed and I don't detect any oakmoss at all. This is a soft and gentle earthy scent. It doesn't feel heavy at all. If this scent were a color it might be a sort of walnut shell brown.

Love it.

Wet: Musty, earthy, figgy. I'm getting almost a gentle tobacco smell.

Dry: Sweet, dried fig, with a light patchouli in the background. So lovely.

I could definitely smell the fig when it was wet, but once it dried it turned into a delicious, masculine earthy leathery scent. It stays close to the skin, but it lasts forever, a rich ribbon of warm earth.

I actually tried to wash it off after a full work day so I could test some other things, but it is still stuck to me. It's really fantastic, and would layer really well with something like Carnal and anything with vanilla.

I adore fig scents and this one is just lovely, the patchouli is very soft, and the mushroom caps really just ground the scent, overall, very well blended soft earthy fig scent! wears very long, and a light throw, not over powering. who would of thought, a scent with pig in the title would be so good. Not to mention, the mushroom caps in death cap are super heady, i don't notice that headiness at all in this blend. if you like figs and earthy scents, this is a must have!

The Grave-Pig - Patchouli and mushroom are dominant notes in this. The oakmoss gives it a smooth warmth that is quite lovely, and the fig brightens up the scent without being overwhelming (which is good since fig tends to be a death note, but it actually works on me in this blend). It's very earthy without smelling remotely like dirt. It's more masculine than the type of blend I would typically be drawn to, and I think this would be awesome on almost every guy I know. Four hours into wear time, it's pretty faint and sticking very closely to my skin, but when it's first applied, it has a really nice level of throw. Overall, the scent is earthy, mellow, very pretty.

I get a strong fig from this, and thus it smells a lot like Intrigue on me. I love the lab's fig note. It's like a sweet, dry, wooden, dark fragrance. Underneath that, I get a light mix of oakmoss and patchouli. It's a dry, soft, warm, cuddly sort of earthiness. I can't pick out anything like a mushroom note (which is sad, because I love the mushroom scent in Destroying Angel and Death Cap). As it dries down, the earthiness fades and I'm left with a light fig note that turns oddly perfumey before it disappears entirely.

This smells a lot like Intrigue layered with a little dab of Badger on my skin at first, and then fades a lot in the drydown. I love every note listed for this and love the initial scent, but I don't think that it's different enough from Intrigue to warrant a full bottle purchase, and the drydown is very light and lackluster on me.

I'll stick with Intrigue for a woodsy fig blend. Intrigue lasts all day on me and has more depth to it, I think. Sorry Grave-Pig :(

Ooh! This really does smell of mushrooms! Not in a fungus/yeasty/mouldy kind of way though - just in, err.. a mushroomy kind of way :)

The fig is lovely - fig typically goes a bit chocolatey on my skin, and it's doing that here. So the fig in combination with the oakmoss and patchouli works beautifully for me - overall I get a lovely earthy, natural smell out of this, without it turning to a dirt smell.

It does fade a bit, but not quickly, so it eventually dries down to a nice smudgy organic kind of scent that sticks pretty close to my skin. The fig wafts up every now and then - HI FIG! :wave: - but everything is so nicely balanced in this blend that it doesn't really bother me when it does - actually, it's kinda nice. The patchouli never goes all snarly - it's quite soft and mellow in this one which will be a relief for people who have trouble with patchouli being too strong. And the mushroom thing fades more than any other note - it was by far the most obvious note when I first applied the oil, but now it's faded right into the background.

A very interesting scent - one I tried more for curiosity than because I thought I was going to love it.. and I won't ever need a bottle, but I'm glad I tried it. I'd say it's a must-try for anyone who loves these kinds of BPALs.

wow! this was a frimp from the lab since i would never even think of trying this...it should smell like four kinds of crap on me :lol: but it doesn't! start to finish, it's a soft figgy scent, can tell there's patchouli in it but it doesn't drown out everything else, the oakmoss behaves nicely and the mushroom i love from destroying angel is lurking happily in the background. not overly fond of the final dry down (5 hours later or so, this stuff lasts!) has something odd to it, but that could just be the mix of hand soap scent with my happy little grave-pig! am so glad i got to try this :joy:

Just a mini review since I tested this at a meet and sniff!

Grave-Pig starts off like fresh turned black soil with little white mushroom caps poking up through the dirt. Adorable! The fruitiness of fig doesn't peek out on my skin until after it dries down a bit. After a time it smells like clean mushroom dirt balanced with a soft fig note. It's not too sweet, but it's not harsh or too dry either. The oakmoss did not leap out to me, and the patchouli is pleasantly earthy. Not much throw, but it lasted and lasted and I was still able to smell the soft earthy scent of Grave-Pig hours later.

Grave-Pig starts off like fresh turned black soil with little white mushroom caps poking up through the dirt. Adorable! The fruitiness of fig doesn't peek out on my skin until after it dries down a bit. After a time it smells like clean mushroom dirt balanced with a soft fig note. It's not too sweet, but it's not harsh or too dry either. The oakmoss did not leap out to me, and the patchouli is pleasantly earthy. Not much throw, but it lasted and lasted and I was still able to smell the soft earthy scent of Grave-Pig hours later.

This is just about the most perfect description I've read of this scent, and I don't know that I can come up with anything new to say about it. I got an imp of this today, and have been sniffing at myself all afternoon. It's such a lovely, mellow scent. The patchouli is very subtle -- a grounding note to offset the sweetness of the fig, which really carries the whole thing, at least on me.

Dirty dirt. Soil and mushrooms. As it dries, the fig comes out and sweetens the blend, but this is mostly DIRT! About an hour in, there seems to be a faintly masculine vibe from this scent.

BPAL fig is almost always great to my nose, and it definitely is here! This is a very earthy/clean dirt note with fig...not like Gomorrah but the patchouli underneath comes out as it dries and makes this richer and less overtly "dirt"-y. There is a faint mustiness to it that I associate with mushrooms, but it's not unpleasant. Really nice and I'll be giving this another try for sure.

I am impressed, truly, and I will tell you why.

This wee decant came as a frimp with an order from my beloved perfumed water decant circle.

Now I doubt they know me well enough to know my loves and hates, but as fate would have it the sent me Grave Pig.

...which let me say that I not only overlooked, but had passed over as a definite fail. I LOATHE dirt notes, though its kind of

sad because my skin amps them to the megawatt. I don't really do figs, and the rest just was kinda lost on me. No, I don't want to

put a Grave-pig on my skin, cheers but nope.

I felt the same when I saw the vial fall out of my package.

Wasn't even going to open it, because I KNOW I won't like it.

In the vial - yuck, that same weird bitter smell I get from snake oil.

On the skin, wet - yuck, same as before. Glad I put this up on my arm so I don't have it in my face today.

On the skin, dry - Having switched to a long sleeve shirt, I thought it was kinda sad and rolled up my sleeve and had a wee sniff.

Wow!! Its changed. Its warm, brown and fruity. This is so fig. A bit like a scented candle with a wee bit of spice but quite nice.

Believe it or not, I think I will keep a hold of this one. :)

Wet: oooh. a scent made with people like me in mind! Deep dark fresh figs and sweet moist dirt with a touch of patchouli. Spectral mushroom caps in the background. "Pig" being in the name threw me off a bit. Didn't expect this to smell sexy. :blush:

Drydown: the same but slightly muted. This will be great to wear today considering the weather: heavy rain and low 50's. The moisture from the rain and living on the oceanfront should amp this nicely!

I get dirt! It's got a sasparilla tone to it. Maybe that's the moss, kind of spicy and leafy. It reminds me of Thai iced tea.

imp: fig! exactly the same fig in carnal!

wet: fig with dirt and oakmoss. very interesting.

dry: gorgeous fig. more woodsy than carnal, but still pretty similar on the dry down.

I tried this on my husband as I thought this would work on a man nicely. So this review is based on that perspective.

Wet: Earthy and sweet with a very light patchouli (husband amps patchouli too!). The fig is fruity and earthy. The mushroom has a nice dirt scent. The oakmoss is sweet and dusty. Delicious blend.

Dry: More fruity. Lost most of the earthy, dirt smell. :( Still good though. Just more like a darker fig.

Missing: Nothing! All notes are well represented at least wet.

Bottom line: Unique scent on a guy. Definitely not ultra-masculine, but good just the same. It's a keeper! It'd be even better on a woman who preferred heavier scents. As an aside I find it interesting that all the reviews of this scent are similar. That seems like a good sign; BPAL combined the oils in this blend just perfectly no matter whose nose is smelling it!

Wow, this smells really dirty, and musky with a touch of fruity fig. I think there is some vetiver here, but I don't get the fungus at all. I don't dislike it, but I don't really like it either. Kind of just a neutral 'meh'. It is a quick fader on me even though the initial blast is rather hard to take.

Just got this as a freebie imp from the lab. I had wanted a 5ml of this when it came out but couldn't bring myself to buy it unsniffed. This is yummy sweet patchouli, different from my other patchouli blends and I like it better than Urd and as much as Goblin I think. Very nice.

Edited by violetblue

Origin:

Imp from the Lab.

Preconceived notions:

I love patchouli, oakmoss and mushroom, but I'm not totally sure how I feel about fig. I'm thinking that it's one of those scents that I'm learning to love, but I've had some bad experiences with fig in the past, so I'm hoping that this isn't another fig-induced failure.

First sniff:

Definitely fig. It's a slightly earthy scent, but the main player is definitely fig. It's fruity but not fresh or juicy. It reminds me of dried figs and it actually smells really good. It's hard to tease out the oakmoss, patchouli and mushroom here since they're being overpowered by OMG FIG, but they're in there, lurking and adding a bit of depth.

Wet on skin:

This one's no morpher. I get the same deep and slightly earthy fig. It's a dark scent, very intense.

Dry down:

There's not really much to say that hasn't been said. This is exactly the same for me, from imp to drydown. And I really like it. :eek:

I think I actually may be coming to love the Lab's fig note (as long as it's combined with other notes that I like). I'm not much of a fruity scent fan, but fig really works for me. I guess it's time to stop being afraid of scents that include it.

The bottom line:

I really like this one. I was worried I was going to hate the fruitiness of the fig, but it turns out that this one's a real winner. I just ordered a bottle and I see it getting plenty of wear. :D

This is one of the few scents that doesn't go powdery or really sweet on me. In fact, it's the same on me as most of the above reviews. It starts off smelling like dirt when wet and dries down to an earthy fig. I can't pick out the patchouli, except for when I tried it as soon as getting it in the mail and it hadn't settled yet. I don't find the dirt note to be really wearable, so I'm going to let this one age for a while before trying it again.

hmm, the fig in this is more fruity than i had hoped. some fruitier scents turn a bit plasticky on me, and this does too. it kind of smells candle-ish on my skin and kind of unremarkable. it's like an earthy-fruity scent, but not really what i think of as figgy, necessarily. my skin chemistry can be wonky with fruits though, so that's probably the explanation for this.

i got this as a frimp in a lab order and loved it immediately. i get a sort sweet, dry patchouli. i don't know how i missed this when the marchens came out and i'm glad it's still available because i definitely need some! :wub2:

Wow. Strong fig. Mmmm....earthy scent, lovely oakmoss and.......hey, there's that fig again.....

Sniffing later on, I get.....FIG....and some nice dark lovely scents and .....FIG........

Sigh. I tried Intrigue and got hit with the Big Fig which overpowered the dark notes underneath. And this is similar to Intrigue only in that my skin amps up the FIG to 11.

If fig is a good note for you, by all means, this is a wonderfully interesting scent and you should try it. But fig just feels wrong on me. I'd love this on a woman, I think.

Not for me, perhaps for thee (if you like fig, in case I wasn't being clear enough)