Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Sapphy

Chaste Moon 2010

Though March marks the end of the desolation and chill of winter, it is not yet Spring, the time of rebirth, fertility and the Earth's fecundity. March's Full Moon is a Virgin's Moon, pure, youthful, unsullied and innocent. This is the Moon of the Child, and the scent is as soft and gentle as a baby's breath: milky blossoms and soft cream touch the last buds of winter, coupled with crystalline, hazy traditional Lunar oils.

Let's get it out of the way: Chaste Moon 2010 is not the same monster as Chaste Moon 2005. I'm a little sad because I love the 05 version more than is acceptable in polite society, and had to sell my partial for bills. I was hoping this would replace it.

Well, it doesn't. But it is a splendid scent unto itself. At first I had resigned my bottle to the Fail Pile, because it was lily and soapy horror on me wet. But as it warms up it becomes what it's supposed to be: a beautiful light bright sweet floral. "Crystalline," yeah. Almost wet but not aquatic.

I love it. Definitely not going into the Fail Pile. Maybe the Glory Glory Hallelujah Pile. Edited by Shollin

When the scent was first put on, I wasn't terribly blown away. It was basically like White Moon with a bit of snow. (I Haven't tried the original chaste moon though I really wanted to gather a bottle of it). Milk notes tend to not like my skin, they don't really get the full effect and seem to burn off. The Crystalline musk and the flowers seem very fitting actually and dry down into something wonderful. Barely there blooms, with soft musks and sweet milk. It's really really amazing and puts me in a sense of calm. Time to put out an ISO for a bit more. I love it!

Chaste Moon starts out as a bright citrusy floral, like certain daffodils, with a hyacinth-like note. As it dries it mellows and becomes creamy and more herbal. A faint musk hovers like a mist. This is a cool delicate scent. It becomes almost lemon-y over time but stays delicious.

This smells like a bouquet of spring flowers (tulip and daffodil mostly, I think) with a tiny bit of morning dew and light musks. There is no milk or cream to be found until several hours after applying it when I get the faintest whiff. This isn't what I expected - I thought I'd get more cream - but I do like it, its a lovely delicate spring floral.

wet: heavy floral and oh god it burns my skin! o.O

dry: less floral (thank god!), no more burning/redness and a hint of milk.

I was on the fence a bit about whether or not to keep this one, but I think it becomes tame enough on the dry down to keep. Tho I would be lying a bit if I said I wasn't disapointed in this one. -_-

update: after awhile the milk disappears againleaving a lighter floral scent. I miss the milk. i_i

I agree tho on the daffodils. ^^

At first it smells like a generic floral, almost too sweet, but then it mellows into something wonderful. I get what Beth means by crystalline musk--usually I can't stand musk because it goes all weird on my skin, but here it does smell clear and sweet and innocent, like a calm twilight meadow with fairies and unicorns.

I...I may need more. We'll see, because this scent is just so gorgeous, and I don't know if there's anything out there similar!

This sounded so beautiful

In bottle: Oh, this is very pretty. Fresh, clean, feminine. Very nice.

Wet, on skin: Something sharp floral immediately amps in this making it smell like BO. Oh dear god. I almost think it could be gardenia or something like it. Within about 2 minutes though, the BO note goes away. In fact, the scent goes away almost entirely. I smell some sweet, very light fresh floral, something ever so slightly warm (floral warm/spicy, like petunia stems or something), and maybe a hint of something creamy.

Drydown: Same as above, only you can't smell it more than an inch away from the skin.

Verdict: It's really pretty, and I'm glad the BO flower of doom leaves quickly. On the other hand, I'm not so happy that the entire scent seems to dissipate on my skin within several minutes.

ETA: Really, really dry: This seems to resurrect itself. The petunia stems are still there and we have the sweet spring florals, and I'd agree with everyone else that they're tulip/daffodil. It's still very close to the skin, but I actually get whiffs of it now. Anything creamy that was present wet isn't there anymore, so if you bought this for creaminess you will be disappointed. Happily the BO flower of the first 2 minutes never made a reappearance. This is really pretty, I'll keep my bottle and make good use of it this season.

ETA: The closest comparison to GC scents would definitely be The Unicorn, only this is less green.

Edited by moosue

I know that not everyone has smelled the three oils I'm about to name but for those who have, Chaste Moon 2010 is like a threesome between Abhisarika, Fairy Market and Schlafende Baigneuse. I love Chaste Moon '05 and though this one is not the same, it's still a downright pretty floral. The cream in this isn't the milky/sour variety but a smooth, velvety cream you'd want to rub into your skin because it has no scent but feels thick and rich. It helps the florals transition from a hairspray scent to a more rounded/creamy/smooth floral with a touch of sweetness and a sniff of clean, cool air. Got this in a swap and sooo glad I did!

Chaste Moon 2010

In the Bottle: ZOMG. Soap in a bottle!

Wet: Soapy florals.

Drydown: Er, I didn't think it could get worse, but somehow, it's becoming even sharper to my nose. :cry2: It's burning the nose!

Verdict: This is NOT "soft and gentle as a baby's breath" and if it is? I shudder to meet such an infant. It would likely obliterate the planet with a lovely fart. :P Though, it's not bad if I drown it in some of my Dorian from '06. But it doesn't seem fair to my precious Dorian to do so. I really really really wish I got the creaminess from Chaste Moon that others get. Because I'm not inherently opposed to florals at all. And interestingly enough, I've read many posts that say BPAL has made floral-haters change their mind, whereas for me? The lab's floral blends haven't really worked out for me at all (but I like quite a few commercial alcohol-based floral perfumes). Weird. I was thinking about instantly swapping/ selling Chaste Moon, but it is really nice layered w/ Dorian. Might just see how it goes. If it sells, then it was meant to leave, but if it hangs around? Then I'll just let it stay with me. ;) **And it's already found a new home, guess we weren't meant to be.**

I liked the original Chaste Moon and thought that this sounded similar enough to purchase a bottle. Unfortunately, this doesn't seem to have any of original Chaste Moon's vanilla-y sweetness. Chaste Moon 2010 is a sharp, soapy mess on my skin :(. It reminds me of those cheap drugstore musk and white floral scents that go all sharp and chemical-y. I really need to stop buying these lunacy blends, because they so rarely turn out well for me. This blend gives me a vicious headache. I wish I hadn't purchased a full bottle...

1236475258_DXKWa-Ti.jpg

First off, I must confess that Chaste Moon 2005 is the only (so far!) BPAL with a cream or milk note which I can bear to sniff without inducing nausea. I love the earlier release so much, and was so happy to see its re-release, especially since the notes were exactly the same!

Woe.

It is nowhere near the same; instead of the delicately smooth creamy florals, there are only florals. Pretty florals, admittedly, but still only florals. This Lunacy reminds me very much of White Moon, which was also a very pleasant, pretty blend, but...

Sigh.

This is a nice white blend, and maybe it will age into a smooth creaminess. I am hoping -- no, counting on it, because I've stockpiled several bottles of it.

Edited by stellans

Alright, unfortunately this went to clean white florals on me. Which also means soapy on my skin. Screaming, dryer sheet soapy. Not what I was hoping for, and not at all anything I can handle on my skin for extended periods of time. I'm very glad I went with just the decant.

Nicely floral -- I'm getting apple blossoms, maybe orchid, and I think dandelion. On dry down, it becomes almost a dead ringer for Phantom Queen -- which is to say, I don't get much creaminess at all. It stays a very pretty floral scent, and lasts all day.

In the bottle this is lunar herbs, and soft white florals.

On my skin the milk note appears. The florals are now more pronounced. They are very pale. The milk seems to settle in.

Dry it has a very crystal like feel as well. Overall I like it. I want to see how it gets with age however.

The comparison to White Moon with snow is bang on, and hopefully people weren't too disappointed that this is nowhere near like the original. Chaste Moon '10 is a creamy, milky white floral with hints of snow & ozone. It is definitely a floral perfume, however it is soft and unassuming, while most floral blends scream "hi, i'm wearing flowers."

Since I also adore White Moon, cream notes and soft florals, this is love. :wub2:

Edited by Schmoozy

I'm another one who liked the original Chaste Moon, and I get so attached to some scents that if something else comes out that has the same name but smells different from the original, I have a tendency to not like it, no matter whether it's a fine scent in its own right.

This, sadly, is one of them. It smells like a cold creamy scent at first, and then turns completely into a soft white floral. Which is fine. I'm picky about florals but the soft white florals are usually my favorites. BUT. It's called Chaste Moon, and I have something specific in mind when I see that name, and this ain't it.

So... although I grudgingly admit that this is pretty and I do like it, I am fiercely loyal to the 2005 version and I know I'll never wear this one. I already have a couple of white florals in my BPAL box, and I'll stick to those.

Bottle: Like smelling running water. I get none of the creaminess of CM 05 but I'm okay with that because I like CM 05 from an aesthetic (as aesthetic as one can be with yer sniffer) point of view but I don't really like it on my skin. Is there baby's breath in this?

Wet: Really intense white florals and a weird fruity note that I can't identify. I want to say papaya which is absolutely out of nowhere.

Dry: I love this, man. This dries down to a beautiful, skin warm sort of scent that is floral without being excessively floral backed by a warm creaminess. Sometimes cream goes insane on my skin and so the florals reign it in and give it the proper astringency to make it really seem like a balanced scent. I think that's what I really like about this--it's a balanced scent. It's like Thai food (theoretically). There is a perfect blend of sweet and sour and creamy and acidic that makes it work perfectly. It's a balancing blend and it smells like skin but better in a creamy white florals sort of way and I love it.

Throw: It's actually stronger than I though it would be but still pretty close to the skin. Long lasting.

Overall: I really like this. It is a sweet and warm scent that smells wholesome without being weirdly virginal. It's absolutely lovely,

First sniff: WHY HELLO IT'S NICE TO MEET YOU MY NAME IS SOAP WHAT'S YOURS?

Later on: DID YOU KNOW EVIDENCE OF SOAP CAN BE FOUND AS EARLY AS 2800 BC DURING NABONIDUS' REIGN ISN'T THAT A FASCINATING FACT ABOUT SOAP?

Still later: SOAP MAKERS IN NAPLES WERE PART OF A GUILD IN THE LATE SIXTH CENTURY is that a gardenia? AND IN THE EIGHTH CENTURY, SOAP MAKING WAS WELL KNOWN IN ITALY AND SPAIN.

So very very later: White crisp florals with just the faintest touch of cream. Also, soap.

Good for wearing: when I sleep through my alarm and don't have time to shower before work.

Edited by Nymeria

These florals are kind of difficult to identify. At first, they're heady like jasmine, then I'm thinking iris as the blend is starting to get powdery as it dries. After a bit, it starts to get fresh and watery, kind of nice actually even though I don't usually like aquatics. Deep in the back, I think I get some creaminess that I wish would come out more. I think this will be nice in the spring when I want to feel feminine.

In the Bottle: The '10 blend is certainly not very sweet (much less so than the '05). It's daffodil, heady iris, breezy tulips to begin with.

On the Skin: It mellows a little into more breezy floral, sweetening a little as it dries. It's cold and crystalline. I definitely get a sense of white blooms glowing under a full moon.

Drydown: The creaminess comes out a little, and thankfully this doesn't sour like so many other cream blends on my skin. It's a little more aquatic. Still a very cold floral lunar scent.

I absolutely LOVE this blend: On me it is sweet milk, soft florals mixed with crystalline musk (LOVE crystalline musk like in "the girl"). This blend becons to spring while leaving in the chill of the winter. It is calming, creamy, delicate, so feminine, enticing, and completely wonderful! Good Lord I smell good! :thud:

Chaste Moon 2010 is pretty white florals. I don't get the milkiness from '05, which is disappointing, but I feel like this one fits my idea of Chaste Moon better.

I took a chance on a bottle of this one, since so many of the florals mentioned here sound right up my alley! Dandelion! Daffodil! Iris!

In the bottle: Freshly cut flower stems, much greener than I expected!

On me: At first, slightly sharp and green like in the bottle. As it dries down, I get... body lotion. This smells exactly like my Jergens lotion I use after bathing. ... and after half an hour, my skin eats it.

I wish I had gotten more of the aforementioned flowers, but lotion smell is not something I wear as a perfume. Too bad. :( I'll swap this to someone for whom it works better.