Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Sapphy

Chaste Moon 2010

CHASTE MOON 2010
Though March marks the end of the desolation and chill of winter, it is not yet Spring, the time of rebirth, fertility and the Earth's fecundity. March's Full Moon is a Virgin's Moon, pure, youthful, unsullied and innocent. This is the Moon of the Child, and the scent is as soft and gentle as a baby's breath: milky blossoms and soft cream touch the last buds of winter, coupled with crystalline, hazy traditional Lunar oils.

A clearer floral than I remember the old Chaste Moon being, but I like this better. It's a clear, pure, sweet floral with a vague milky thing in the background...but NOT the milk note that goes awful on me. I don't really get cream either. I wouldn't mind more creaminess but it's still very pretty. Not: jasmine, gardenia, rose, violet, carnation. Possibly: Lily, but a very low-key note. Nothing high pitched. Definitely has the lunar oils, but it's nice here. Reminds me vaguely of Kindly Moon, but not fruity...I think that's mostly the lunar oils, lol This dries down to a second skin kind of scent, but with a clean floral, like freshly washed skin. But nothing like Dirty of Wendselydale, there's no soap or dryer sheets.

Out of the bottle: Very spicy, the sort from plant stems or geranium which was very startling. Almost more herbal than anything else.

Dry down: A hint of creaminess taking some of the bite out of the greenery, a touch more different florals but almost not sweet at all. Definitely not fruity. Still very spicy to me.

Totally different than the original from 2005, I get almost no creamy sweetness at all. Kinda disappointed in that.

On it's own, it's an interesting scent that I'm definitely keeping, but as a replacement for dwindling supplies of the original Chaste Moon, it's definitely not the same!

Bottle: Snow and white flowers.

Wet: Mmmm...sweet. Herbal, a light flower (gardenia?), and the "crystaline" scent I love so much.

Drydown: White flowers, and a creamy scent that I don't think I'd call milk. More like the flowers are coming out to a creamy feeling. The lunar oils are what I think is giving this a cool feeling

Overall: I like it a lot. I enjoy creamy, soft scents like this. So much so that I have a little something called Swan Maiden in my BPAL box already. These are very similar oils, but I have to say, I think I like the drydown effect on this one a little more. Swan Maiden has this kind of spicy carnation type drydown, but this is creamy and smooth. A cool finish as opposed to Swan Maiden's warmer one. It's a keeper, but does that mean Swan Maiden has to go?

Origin: Straight from the Lab

Initial Thoughts: I love and hoard my decant of Chaste Moon 2005 and was thrilled to see it return.

In the Bottle: Cool, spicy and floral. Like a soft musk dripping over white flowers.

Wet: It gets a little spicier, and the coolness becomes zingier - I see where someone before said herbal. At this stage I'm not getting that wonderful gentle creamy musk that made me love the original. But then I've been known to have a time-delay musk-amping power.

Drydown: Yep, there's the musk. It's a gentle one, a skin or white musk, the kind that works on me. It warms up the scent and cradles the floral in a lovely light spice. I don't think it's as creamy as the original, but it's beautiful.

Verdict: Keeper!

:thud: floral, slightly creamy and somehow crystally smelling! pure love!

Chaste Moon 2010 - This opens up with a slightly creamy, crystal-clear, soft floral scent, but the creaminess fades very quickly. As it warms up on me, the florals stay soft and the lunar oils become very evident, with a hint of something slightly herbal in the background. When I first put it on, before I read the scent description, I thought to myself, "I bet this has the word 'crystalline' in the scent description" -- and it does. That's definitely the overall feeling of this scent -- crystalline, pure, simple, innocent, and softly floral.

This is a high, white floral on me. There is no creaminess, or milkiness on my skin. As it dries, the flowers go sharp and astringent and start to smell a little like a dryer sheet. I'm sure on some people this is beautiful, but I am not one of those people.

Nothing like I expected. Starts out strong, creamy and floral. Very pretty - then an herbal note sweeps in...doesn't stay long. Seems the crystalline softens up a bit. This is nice, but nothing spectacular - it ends up being a powdery sweet floral on me about an hour later........ :huh?:

I am sad.

Chaste Moon '05 is probably my top scent ever. I ordered 2 bottles of '10... and unless they chill out in the next 2 weeks, they will be swapped. With the original, cream was the main note, with florals slightly supporting. '10 is herbal florals of doom, and I get a totally newbie reaction with it - it's harsh and soapy.

I will give it time, since milk and cream are listed notes in the description - maybe they just need time to relax. '05 got sweeter and creamier with age, so I am willing to see if this gets better. However, I don't think it will ever match the original, because the florals are just too strong here.

Soft, sweet, light, green. Planty, a little dewy - like rain on new green leaves. Some stemminess too, and a floral that's velvety and light spicy - I'm guessing white carnation, and some slightly sweet, delicate florals - maybe linden? I don't get any cream or it's incredibly faint. This is radically different from Chaste Moon 2005 which was a very foody, cloying honey and buttery cream blend, and I couldn't be more pleasantly surprised!

Stronger overall - I don't have to sniff with so much effort - and more florals bloom instantly on my skin, including a fantastic, creamy rich and bright daffodil note - almost definitely the same one from Kitsune-Tsuki, a blend I adore. It immediately assumes command, but I get other florals, too. Definitely a little linden, the sweetness here is the same delicate, slightly citrus & floral sweetness that I get from the Unicorn. The hint of spice is fainter, and I'm doubting carnation's presence now - if it's here, it's very faint, and more stems than blossoms. The stemmy note has a pleasantly bitter edge and is likely dandelion.

This is slow to dry, but not slow to explode with incredible complexity that belies the brief note information provided. It's true there are milky blossoms - also bright blossoms and sweet blossoms - lots of blossoms overall. However, I do now fear that I'm getting a bit of gardenia - it's not the sour type, or the headache-inducing one - I think it's the same note from T'is the Voice of the Lobster. Right now it's dueling with daffodil for first place. Meanwhile something in here has gone a little bit soapy, still tolerably, and thank there's no powder. The dandelion note has amped a bit, but it's rather overwhelmed still by the florals.

I whipped out some oils for comparison. It reminds me the most of The Unicorn, so there's definitely some linden, but The Unicorn is sweeter and CM is more herbal/green. In addition to a light gardenia (definitely smells like the one in Lobster!), I get some magnolia when comparing to Yvaine - and the blends are similar too since Yvaine as well has that herbal edge and a very similar feel. And I do think there are shared notes with Egle - the hyacinth which contributes sweetness, and the same fir note which is gives the greenery - the fir here serves a similar role to the lavender in Yvaine - a grounding herbal counterpart to the bright white floral(s). Oddly, Kitsune is the least similar - probably because it's so much more intense and sweet, and CM is faint and only barely sweet at all - but I still think this has daffodil.

I would agree the florals in here a white and have a bit of a creamy feel to them, but only vaguely (I actually fine Yvaine to be quite a creamy blend bc of its particular magnolia note, and the same applies here though the magnolia is much less distinct and strong), and I don't get actual cream or milk at any point on my skin. I also feel the crystalline vibe other reviewers noted, and some musks are emerging gradually as this dries - I get fresh, almost astringent skin musk almost definitely with maybe some white and/or vanilla musks.. I'm struggling to identify the note in here that provides the spicy/fresh kick. Carnation? White ginger? Phlox? I know it, but I can't place it. The greenery in this blend holds and sets it apart from those blends I compared it to as an utterly unique blend. The fir/evergreen note adds an almost snowy coolness to this, too.

Back to some bottle comparisons - the greenery here reminds me greatly of both Passionate Shepherd and Host of Air, and smelling my Dandelion SN confirms a strong dandelion presence. I'm also positive about clover and I think carnation remains a possibility. Comparing this to Pink Moon 2005 (which has a clear phlox note), I'm betting the 'kick' here is from phlox. So in the final drydown - this settles after 1-2 hours at most - daffodil, hyacinth, linden, phlox, magnolia and possibly a bit of white carnation and subtle gardenia, in descending order of dominance, glimmer softly over a base of fresh greenery including dandelion & fir, smoothed over by a shimmering blend of light musks, heavy on the skin musk but with a little white, too, for depth.

It is a little soapy, it's definitely floral and I'd like a bit more sweetness - but these are minor quibbles if even quibbles at all. I love the simple, clean and yet elegant quality - this is the first early stages of Spring in a bottle, and I don't have anything like it. :heart: I'll be needing two bottles of this one, and since I assumed it'd be like the earlier version I didn't order myself any!

Edited by fairnymph

In the bottle: Even though I love Candles Moon, this is how Candles Moon should have smelled! bright, crisp, clear. Definite florals and something green, possibly grass or bright herbs.

Wet: Reminds me of Occurance at the Diner. That floral salad smell. Still crisp and bright, but has a watery scent. As if you washed salad leaves in water, I guess.

Dry: Occurance at the Diner and Enchanted Wood Florist mixed. No cream whatsoever on my skin. Which is strange because cream usually amps or at least turns musky. But no cream at all. I'm getting more milk than cream.

Overall: I love this! I wish I got 2 bottles! Not what I was expecting at all, either. I was expecting more milky creaminess, and snow. A creamy Snow Moon. But I get none of that. A lovely feminine, pure scent. Very faint, fades more quickly than I would like, but still very lovely.

Despite the description, all I’m getting here is an almost single-note dandelion, which doesn’t suit me at all. None of the creaminess of the previous version. Off to swaps with this one.

This version is definitely very different from the 2005 one, which is one of my favorite florals and I multiple bottles of. I'm not getting any creaminess here, it's a blend of strong florals, well blended, possibly a mix of gardenia, lilies, magnolia and skin musk. One of the flowers in it is too heavy for me (I think gardenia). :( .. after a couple hours on my skin, this has turned into generic dept. store floral perfume.

like others have mentioned, i think i was hoping for a bit more cream. my first impression is of a very clear, light, slightly high-pitched floral - really what this reminds me of is blue moon, from a couple years back - almost a cucumber-ish cool feel. pleasant, but not unlike some others that i have - black butterfly moon, like blue moon, is also in this camp. anyway, as it dries down and wears on my skin for a bit, it does indeed get a bit creamier and muskier, and gains a little more character. it's pleasant enough, simple and feminine, but seems to lack some personality, it's a bit bland. but maybe that makes sense for the chaste thing? the label is really lovely.

First impression upon sniffing bottle: Arizona Watermelon drink and flowers...

On the skin I'm thinking that crystalline is def. a good word for this.. so is Dial. This is the soapiest blend I've smelled from BPAL and it immediately made my nose stuff up and me sneezy.. <_<

I'll let it age a bit but... hmm... I guess what I really want is another bottle of The Girl :rolleyes:

This was a huge disappointment for me, alas. I get nothing but horrid sour roses. I will say one thing for it though, it does last. I could still sniff it on my wrists the next morning. Actually, at that point it was crystal white flowers, and I loved it. Not sure I can wait 12 hours for that though. I'm hoping that a little aging will resolve our differences, and we will be able to come to terms. Time shall tell.

I wasn't sure if I'd like this, but took a chance on it because general reports were so favorable. I was hoping it would smell something like Castitas, which I love, but alas, it's completely different for me.

Wet, this smells like the usual silvery, watery lunar herbs, a drop of ozone, and clean flowers. As a whole, it actually smells rather like some kind of cleaning solution on my skin... ah, now I know what it reminds me of: Scrubbin' Bubbles! That's exactly what this smells like. (It also reminds me of the '07 Blue Moon.)

Once dry, after about 10 minutes, the cream note and more of the nuances of the flowers become apparent. It's a little bit richer and perhaps slightly more herbal. Now it doesn't smell like Scrubbin Bubbles, but it is still a very white and clean scent. The milk is very much like the actual scent of cold milk. No vanillin whatsoever -- it's just smooth, round, neutral. No butteriness or sourness.

And then it's gone. It lasts about 30 minutes on my skin. Oh well. It definitely portrays the quality of chastity, without smelling little girl-ish. This is a sophisticated purity.

I'll probably keep a decant to age to see how it goes, but even if this ages spectacularly, I don't think it will suit me. Alas.

In bottle: Blossoms and cream is right. Wet: I wonder if snow drops are in this. It’s a lovely, delicate floral with an unusual blend of floral notes. It got a rich purple undertone to the dominant delicate whiteness. It does suggest the first flowers of spring and melting snow. The cream comes out as it warms. It’s not really me, but I think it would be lovely on a young woman of the right core scent. The lunar oil blend also comes out more as it warms, but it’s really about white flowers. Dry: This rather curdles on me, though something is doing some interesting things with my natural musk.

Chaste Moon smells completely different than I expected it to. I thought it would be more creamy, and I'm sure '05's was, but I haven't tried it.

At first when wet, it's sharp and I almost want to wash it off. Then after a few minutes the flowers and cream mix and it's a gorgeous blend of Spring flowers. It's feminine and makes me want to dress in pink, put my hair up, and go outside and pick some daffodils. I can't tell exactly what kind of flowers I smell in this, but they're pretty and I would love to have a bouquet of them for my dining room table. :wub2:

The 2010 version seems more floral to me than the 2005 version, but that may be due to the age difference.

In the 2010 version, I'm getting soft floral, something green, light snow or frost, and very light cream. Soft, subtle. Not much throw, but then the 2005 version never had much throw on me either.

I'll be keeping my bottle and see how this ages in comparison with the 2005 version.

Edited by angelicruin

Chaste Moon 2005 is a favorite of mine, and while I know Beth warned us that 2010 was not like 2005, since the descriptions were identical, I had some hopes (and kind of wonder, if they aren't the same perfume, why give them the same name, same description, same listed notes?). ANYway... my first impression in the bottle was... nothing. Literally nothing. It could have been a bottle of water. But I believe in the BPAL magic, so I dabbed a bit of the water on my wrist to see what might happen. After about five minutes, a very faint lily of the valley scent began to emerge, very quiet, very small, like holding ONE sprig of lily of the valley to my nose, with maybe a blade or two of grass to give it some greenness. It's nothing like Chaste Moon 2005, but it's pleasant. It will be interesting to see how it ages, if any creaminess comes out. Some other milk/cream blends do amp the dairy as they age, so we shall see.

I love Chaste Moon 2005. It's faint, innocent, milky (but not sour). Chaste Moon 2010 is NOT the same scent. Not even similar. I smell a sharp floral, like soap from the Dollar Store. Not BAD per se... just... not spectacular or special. At one point, it smells identical to the old Daffodil Fields scent from B&BW.

In the bottle I'm getting really clear florals. Not full blooming florals though. They smell almost youthful, and very very sharp. Slightly soapy.

On my skin the florals tone done a bit with the cream. Though the cream never makes much of an appearance. The soapiness fades somewhat while never really going away and the clear florals round and sweeten. This scent is very crystalline. It's a cool scent, and quite lovely for spring I think. Cool and refreshing without being green.

Excellent throw and lasts really long. The only thing that may prevent me from keeping my bottle is that lingering soapiness and the lack of creaminess. It isn't too much, but it's still there. It feels almost sugared in a way. I don't really know what to make of it. I don't get chaste as much as I get regal with a little chasteness thrown in for kicks.

I'll have to see if this ages and the creamy notes come out more.

This is not '05. I knew that (sorta) but I still hoped, lol. What it actually smells like to me is this dusting powder everyone in my family used to buy for my cousin when she was five or six. She LOVED it, and probably went through a box a month. It was a weird, soapy, heavy floral. I don't remember the brand (brands?), but it came in a huge plastic container (pink, blue, or aqua, didn't matter because it was the same scent). Chaste Moon 2010 is that scent. When it dries down, the aquatic note peeks out from under the florals. Very clean, very floral dusting powder.

Edited by pacifick

I'm not sure what to make of Chaste Moon. When it's wet, I can smell a little rose, a little gardenia perhaps, and a little milk/cream. There is some similarity to the other nocturnal blends of my collection like Blue Moon and especially Nuit- the rose to me smelled very much like the white rose in Nuit. But when it's dry, the scent keeps making me think of lotion and soap. The only other blend that makes me think of soap is Santa Muerte, so this is not at all a common reaction for me, but I do see that some others have had a soap correlation, too. I don't know if oils age out of the "soapiness", but I will have to hope that this one does. And I hope that the creaminess comes more forward, or I'll have to try layering it with Castitas or Love's Philosophy.