Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

Vibrant with the joy and sweetness of life in death! A blend of five sugars, lightly dusted with candied fruits.

Like many others, I got pure maple syrup at all stages. Which is all fine and dandy, but not what I was hoping for. I already have Demeter's Waffles which I never grab, so I think I'm going to have to put this in the swap list.

i finally got my hands on a bottle of this and i am in love! sugar, brown sugar... sweet, comforting. :P i know i'm going to wear this one a lot, so if anyone has a bottle they would like to part with, please let me know.

I was gifted with a lovely imp of Sugar Skull from a wonderful forumite. Upon first sniff in the vial, I was treated to the smell of fresh butter pecan pancakes drenched in maple syrup. Yummy!

Wet: It reminds me of Sugar Cookie but without the cinnamon notes that burned my skin. Very sweet and yummy with the same buttery maple smell that I noticed in the vial. I think I love this blend.

Dry: On dry down the sugary sweetness fades and the spice comes forward. I'm still loving it. Sugar and spice and every thing nice. It's too sweet or too spicy but is the perfect combination of the two.

I wish I had know about BPAL when this was offered. I would love to have a bottle of it. Hey Beth if you are listening. Can you bring this one back? I love it. :P

Vial: Oooh, spicy and sweet! I get a lot of cinnamon and honey, and a sharp note that makes me think of fall.

Wet: God, this is good. Buttery and sugary and spicy. I smell cinnamon, sugar, and dough..also something I can only describe as honey-leaves.

Drydown: Yes, I am loving this. It doesn't really change much from the vial to my wrist other than the scent grows warmer and stronger.

Dry: Yeah, same as I've described earlier. Nothing's changed. I still love it.

This scent lasted a good 6 hours on me.

Bottle (Imp): Super sweet sugary scent. YUM!!

Just On: Oh yes, oh so sweet, and I love it. It's not very strong, so I suspect I would have to slather this one, which figures, since it's not available anymore.

An hour or two later: It's still pretty sweet, with a hint of spice to it. I like it, but probably not as much as Gluttony (which is a good thing, as it's easier to get Gluttony). I can't pick out specific notes or anything like that, but it's a nice mix, and it's certainly not overpowering.

Around 6 hours: As with several others, this one faded on me, and I would need to reapply it often through the day. This one doesn't get too powdery, though I can detect the barest hint of powdery sweetness as well.

12 hours: This is very very very faint now, but also very sweet at the end, and I like it. I would have to touch it up during the day, but this last stage of sweetness is really wonderful.

Overall: I would buy this in a big bottle if it were available, but I won't die without it. I'm really glad I got to try it, and it helps me realize that I truly love the sweet stuff best.

After reading other reviews: I didn't get marshmallows or maple syrup, but that's okay. I really like this one, and wish it were still available. Lucky for me, I have several other sweet scents to give me my sweetness fix. I certainly don't get the strength that others seem to have with this one, which bums me a little bit.

I had such high hopes for Sugar Skull. I got an order fro ebay in which the seller sent a decant of this at my request (it was very kind of her, and I'm glad she hasn't wasted much on me because this has been my first and only dreadful experience).

In the imp: thick, caramelized sugar on the stovetop - it smacks of maple syrup. Interesting, much heavier that I expected and I could very well liken this to real sugar - that's how convincing this fragrance is.

So, liberally - I spread out a dollop below my elbow. (I'm wearing Bastet on my wrists and giving Eris a go on my other arm at this point).

The Wet: Sugary caramel, ok - smells exactly as it did in the bottle... then... thirty seconds pass and WHAM, scorching plastic rising, and gaining momentum as each minute passes.

I can smell lingering traces of the caramelized sugar but its floundering fast.

I couldn't even wait for the dry down. As such, I went running for the sink and the soap *sob*

Even now - after having scrubbed twice - I feel like my flesh is burning – that’s how potent the lingering odour is.

I've neutralized it with Envy, and overall I'm deeply saddened by the experience. I thought this would have been a favourite for sure.

I was quite hopeful about this LE from the description and reviews, so acquired an imp of it.

In the bottle it was a quite lovely sugary and fruity smell. Yum!

I was quite pleased for the first few moments it was on my wrist, as it smelled strongly of brown sugar -- a scent that I love.

However, soon afterwards, thanks to the joys of body chemistry it turned into a rather sharp, astringent bug spray smell on my skin. So sad!

Ah well, atleast I won't have a lemming for this limited edition (for once!) To the swap pile with you, my sugary bug spray!

I like this - A LOT! What's with me & the LEs?

Sugar Skull smells like dark sugars & syrups, just a hint of spice,(not quite cinnamon,) a tease of fruit, (usually don't like 'em), & just enough nuttiness. Oh! & it LASTS!

This, for me, makes up for Gluttony which turned very quickly into dark, smoky, unsweetened nuts & nothing else :P

And while Sugar Cookie was nice I have, (& love), Jack & was wanting something without loads of cinnamon.

This is just what I wanted & I hope it comes back.

Edited by bloodlotus1

My first review:

I got a candle scented with this from a friend on Saturday.

Yum! I don't smell the maple that people talk about, nor the fruit that the lab description mentions. I smell carmelized sugar, both brown and white, and a bit of butter.

I really like this candle, but I don't think I'd like to wear the scent.

Sadly, a moth flew into my candle last night, so now it smells like Sugar Skull + dead moth... :P

You know that smell when you're making candy and the sugar starts to carmelize? That's what this smells like. I didn't think I would like this at first, it sounded too sweet, but after seeing the reviews I decided to seek out an imp to try. And I am not disappointed. It is sweet, but not too sweet, there is a bit of darkness here. This is strong too, quite a bit of throw and it lasts and lasts. I LOVE this!

On the wickedgoddess scale of 1 to 5, with 5 being best, this rates a 5.

I'm pretty much going to repeat wickedgoddess' review, because I got exactly the same scent off it: hot, syrupy, just-starting-to-caramelize sugar, pure and simple, with a bit of a 'dark' tone to it.

This is EXACTLY what I'd hoped for, and more. I am utterly, hopelessly in love, and suddenly understand why people get into bidding wars on Ebay. I want to marinate myself in it - but at the same time I want to hoard my precious imp!

In Bottle: YUM! Sugar and cream!

On Skin: Yes, this scent makes me want to eat my wrist. It is pure creamy sugar goodness. Not at all like spun sugar or cotton candy, more creamy and even a bit spicy. I am in love with this scent and want every imp and bottle I can get.

Sugar Skull

This is my second try of Sugar Skull. The first time it was way too syrupy sweet.

Hmmmm what can I say about this other than that it’s super sweet? It smells like my kitchen at Christmas. Sugar Skull is much more tolerable when it’s dry – much prettier and less sticky-sweet. I really like it this time. I almost wish I had been around to buy a 5ml.

My first experiance with Sugar Skull was when Anshara bathed herself in it at the NYC gathering.

I spent the rest of the time leaning in to sniff her. Innapropriate for a first meeting, I know, but....she had this aura of amazing yumminess around her! I couldn't help myself! :P

Anyway...this doesn't smell like maple sugar to me. It smells like

EVIL SUGAR

Evil as in...dark...heavy...not molasses, not brown sugar...maybe a bit burnt, but not much...

Just...the yummiest, most evilest, richest sugar EVER :D

I must be crazy....or at least my nose is. I normally adore super sweet scents, but this one was awful!!!!

I never got ro try it on because when I opened my imp, I splashed some on my shirt and just the smell from that made me sick to my stomach. I didn't dare put it on my skin.

For me, it was an acrid, horribly burnt sugar smell. I got no warmth or softness to it. It was just bitter and overpowering. It reminded me of when we were doing all of our sugar work in culinary school and someone left a pan of sugar to burn and it set off the smoke alarms.

I think of this as Aunt jj_j's Joy Mojo...'cause she gifted it to me and 'cause it makes me joyous. :P

This first time I tried Sugar Skull, I'd sniffed about three imps. I was thrilled to try it after reading the reviews. I slathered it on, sniffed, and got plastic dipped in white sugar. Blah. Unremarkable. Don't see what the fuss is all about.

Three months later and my tastes have broadened alot. I have a much deeper appreciation of complex blends and notes I'd never thought I'd like. I was adopted by the amazingly generous jj_j, and she gifted me this. Somehow, it was the first one in the package I reached for. I slathered, for confirmation more than anything else...

waited and took a sniff...

and fell ass over teakettle in love. Carmelized sugar (amen, wikkedgoddess!) with a touch of cream and an edge I just can't put my finger on. It's sweet alright, and rich, and a little creamy (on me) but somehow, it's just not nice. Or innocent. It knows. I don't know if that entirely makes sense, but that's the feeling I get from it. And I feel better when I'm wearing it...it's my current "break glass in case of emergency" scent.

This is still around 12 hours after application and just as delicious as when first applied, though with a bit less throw. And my chemistry just eats most scents...I have to re-apply most everything frequently.

I love, love, love this and it was a complete surprise. Needless to say, if you're looking to part with any, I'd be very grateful for a pm...

I have wanted to try Sugar Skull for soooooo long! It was definitely worth the wait! Heavenly, divine sugar smell wafting over a creamy vanilla-ish base with the faintest breath of candied fruits. It's like Grandma is in the kitchen baking sugar cookies while Grandpa serves you a big bowl of vanilla ice cream with sugar plum topping. Exquisite, fabulous, I love it. As a foody, I am thrilled to finally have a bottle of this one. I had to pay $50 for it on ebay!! Meep! What's that, like $1 a drop? Lol, totally worth it! :P

I was so happy to acquire an imp of this, because I was just absolutely sure I would love it - I love sweet scents, I love brown sugar specifically, and maple sugar...for the longest time the only scent I could wear was Fresh's Sugar and I just love the whole idea of a scent based on, well, Sugar Skulls...

And I'm really on the fence with this one...I kinda like it, but I don't lovelovelove it the way I thought I would. It is nice, but it just doesn't sing on me...

I may have to think about this one for a while...or save it for a rainy day swap for something I want desparately or something...I'm just not sure.

Although first, I will try layering it with Dia de los Muertos... :P

Sugar Skull: I feel very fortunate to have been able to get this one in a swap. :P This blend smells of Brown Sugar and spice, I dont get any fruits but that is ok. I love it and hope that it will maybe show itself again this Fall. :D

Edited by Reinaluna

I've got this guy friend who -loves- Maple Syrup.

I will be wearing this the next time I try to catch his eye, oh yes.

It has that dark sugary smell, like when you're melting sugar on the stove to make caramel, before it burns. That's what this smells like.

Melted sugar, but a tad burnt as well... Not as bad as Gluttony was to me, as I was able to wear it, but still. It deserves more than just being wearable, because it has the most awesome name. Sadly not for me, I´d rather swap it for something else :P

In the imp~bubble gum! But very YUMMY bubble gum!!

First applied~sweet, sugary spice.

After a couple of hours it becomes a DELICIOUS, sweet & creamy, toasty sugared vanilla with a hint of marshmallow. Amazingly enough, this isn't really what I'd call "foody". Just warm, toasted sweetness and spice :D

Reminds me *just a little bit* of Midway.

Me thinks I need a bottle of this, so a-hunting I will go :P

2004:

I'm so in love with Sugar Skull, and I'm almost certain I'll be buying multiple bottles of it this go-round. :D The first time I saw it, I thought "I have to get my hands on some!" (My favourites so far have been the sweet and foody blends.)

This one was given to me courtesy of a co-worker who's seen me ogling the BPAL auctions on eBay the past few days, and from the first sniff, I was hooked. I've been trying to wean myself off sweets lately and I think this is just the thing. :D

In the bottle, it's sweet and sharp, but a minute or so after I put it on, it becomes slightly spicy and much more crisp. I'm sitting in a cloud of Sugar Skull scent right now and it's very strong, got plenty of throw. It alternates between being cinnamony- and powdery-sweet; I really can't describe it other than to say that it's true to its name--pure sugar!

Edited by Rem

(2004 Version)

First Impression: A cloud of confectioner's sugar with a hint of something fruity - berries, perhaps.

Dries down to: Pretty much the same with an added hint of vanilla.

Additional Comments: I really like this one - it's sweet but not cloying - the fruit gives it a fresh edge and the vanilla makes it rich. I don't know where it's is coming from but I definitely get vanilla.

Lasted: Several hours.

Rating: 4 out of 5

(2005 Version)

First Impression: Cotton Candy.

Dries down to: Burnt sugar.

Additional Comments: If there's any fruit in here, it's just a dusting. This is another sweet one that doesn’t work on me. I'm disappointed because I like last year's version so much better and was hoping for more of the same.

Lasted: Several Hours

Rating: 2 out of 5

Edited by arabella