Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
ipb

Hunger

HUNGER: Evokes sheer, unadulterated carnal lust. An undeniably warm and sensual scent. Black narcissus, orange blossoms, and vanilla. (Gender neutral)

In Bottle: Vanilla, orange and floral. The orange blossoms and black narcissus are a beautiful floral combination. It is warm and pretty… but I don’t the feel of lust from it. After a few minutes it starts to smell a bit medicinal which doesn’t agree with me… I think it’s the florals turning odd… I had my husband sniff it and he hated it, so off to the swaps it goes.

On Skin: Very sweet, obviously the vanilla showing through.

Bottle (Imp): Deep, dark, and rich.

Just On: Mmm, kind of a smoky sweet thing going on.

An hour or two later: A deep dark smoky scent, starting to fade.

Around 6 hours: It's getting quite faded, but still the same smoky sweet darkness.

12 hours: It's all gone now.

Overall: This is a nice scent, and I can see using it when I'm feeling a bit broody.

After reading other reviews: Okay, narcissus, orange blossoms, and vanilla. Those add up to smoky dark sweetness on me. I like.

I really didn't think I'd like this one when I smelled it from the vial but I decided to give it a try.

Wet I still didn't like it and put it in the sell/swap pile.

After half an hour I started to change my mind, I started to like the creamyness. I wasn't getting vanilla or orange but after sniffing my wrist twenty or so times I can see where those comparisons came from. For me it's creamy and slightly powdery with a coco butter scent. There are hints of floral and orange but they are very subtle.

I've decided to keep the imp for those ocassions I want to smell edible.

In the imp it smells like orange cream savers. On skin it turns into nail polish remover. Huh? Wait awhile, and I swear I can smell vetivert. What is going on? I know I may have vetiver-phobia, but it has to be in here. Maybe I’m mistaking the black narcissus for vetiver… I’ll try this again later.

Let’s give this a second try. Still smells of orange candies in the imp. On my skin it has a slightly bitter note while wet, but as it dries, it takes on a creamy orange scent. I like this better.

But after awhile I smell the vetiver again turning this into a creamsicle dropped in dirt. I wouldn’t mind it so much if it didn’t make my stomach turn. After washing this off, I smell vetiver clinging to my skin. Darn it. I really wanted this to work out.

hunger

at first: this was a free imp from the lab. it's very sharp to my nose, with the narcissus and orange blossoms taking over. not sure i'll like this one.

on: weird. i don't think that orange blossom and i get along very well. it's warm, and very heavy. there's a bit of vanilla to it, which is nice. hopefully, this will calm down a little.

1 hour later: this is...distracting. i think it's the orange blossom. it's nice, but...uncomfortable somehow.

2.5 hours later: softer and sweeter, but not something i would reach for.

overall: this gets nicer as i wear it, but i don't like the way it makes me feel until it gets to that point. i don't know what it is, but something in it, possibly the orange blossom, makes me feel all jumpy.

In the Bottle or Imp:

Um, wow, quite potent. I can smell a very, very sweet floral and a strong, rich vanilla straight out of the imp. There's also a slightly antiseptic aroma to it, which I'm associating with that... er, antiseptic wash my mom used to use on small cuts and such. Came in a white squeezy bottle. Anyway.

Wet, on Skin:

POOOOM! Whoa! My skin amps up that antiseptic smell like ten thousand times. It's not that Hunger smells like that spray, but something about the main floral note, the narcissus perhaps, cannot be separated from my memory of using that stuff. Otherwise, I can see how this would be a great blend. Achingly sweet at this point.

Drying Down:

Doesn't change much - I can detect the vanilla more and more as it dries. The topnote is still not working with me. Perhaps it's the combination of orange blossom and narcissus that's giving me issues.

Over Time/Longterm:

Very light, unfortunately that first disquieting note I associated with Hunger is the most persistent. Overnight, my little dot of oil vanished.

Final Verdict?

I can't wear this, just because of my associations with it. It's not bad, but even if I didn't think of taking care of minor scrapes as a child when I wear Hunger, it's far too sweet for me to wear. I'm not a strong, sweet floral kinda guy :P.

Not sure what narcissus smells like, I can only assume that that's the note that smells very much like patchouli on me. I can see how many people compare this to Snake Oil...mostly because, although I cannot tolerate most patchouli blends, it actually manages to soften a little bit, making room for the sweetness of the vanilla. Definitely still too heavy/incensy for my tastes at this time of year (not getting any orange creamicle smell), but still very nice. Lasted until I washed it off...at least 12 hours later

Yum! :P

Vanilla, and a hint of citrus and floral. The vanilla reminds me of Snake Oil, and the Orange reminds me of Xiuhtecuhtli... Nothing dominates over the other, so you end up with something very nice.

...after trying it a few times though, I decided it was a bit too feminine for me, and that Ill just stick with snake oil.

Edited by donsixgun

in the bottle: sweet, vanilla orange blossoms.

wet on skin: oh, this is nice. It's got a citrusy scent to it, but not the juicy sort. More like the scent of an orange peel, the zest of it. Blending that with vanilla isn't something that I ever would have thought I'd enjoy, but I do. A lot.

dry: the narcissus comes out a bit towards the end, giving this all a clean and crispness that wasn't apparent before.

hunger.jpg

The first seconds of trying Hunger, I was thinking "Snake Oil". Then a few minutes passed and I started thinking, "Haunted". Then a few minutes passed and I started thinking,"Pascal Moribito's 'Or Noir'". Or Noir is one of my all time favorite "big French fragrance houses" scents and I live in terror that it will be discontinued. Hunger is just as sexy, round, smokey and delicious as Or Noir. Maybe it even has more character. I really truely love this scent, it is zooming into my top 10 as we speak. Wow, this is damned beautiful.

Out of the bottle I can smell a little of the orange, but on me, nothing. A faint hint of vanilla, but mostly a powder-y, unknown floral-y something. Not terrible, just kind of meh, and so I don't think I'll keep it.

This one comes out smelling like cinnamon on me, strange. I can't really smell any orange in it, but the narcissus is the shadowy undertone. It's definitely foody, and sexy, but really rather hard to describe since my skin took the liberty of morphing all the notes. I'm still undecided about this one on me, but I'm sure this is killer on some people.

In the bottle: sharp, almost medicinal scent, with a faint hint of the "diaper" scent I get from anything with civet in it. (I had to go check and make sure I hadn't accidentally gotten something with civet again before I'd put it on!)

On skin initially: strongly diaper. It's got to be the narcissus morphing with my wonky skin chemistry, as vanilla loves my skin and I've had success with orange blossoms before. My younger son declared that I smelled like a dirty bathroom (don't you love the kid's honesty?) I thought about washing it off, but decided to let it ride out, just to see if any other notes would appear.

After an hour: vanilla at last! The narsissus has disappeared, and taking the diaper aroma with it. If I really concentrate, I can detect a hint of orange blossom in this, but it's almost purely vanilla. While thankfully I won't have to go wash the scent off, the time it takes the narcissus to fade is not worth a soft vanilla scent when other vanilla blends like my skin chemistry better. Alas, a good blend for some, but narcissus hates me. Swapping this one.

i wanted to like hunger, it sounded right up my alley from the description, but it just smells harsh on me. there is some underlying earthy smell that i dont like. i want to say its the black narcissus, because i dont know what that smells like, but it could also be the orange blossoms.

obviously i need to investigate single notes a bit further.

Edited by theseagrows

I can't believe I've never reviewed Hunger.

Hunger nearly made it to the "I like it enough to keep it" circle. I mostly get black narcissus and orange blossom in the beginning--dark, slithering, spicy orange--then, the vanilla comes out a bit more, lending it the orange creamsicle scent. However, the vanilla isn't as prominent as the dark, spicy side, which is front row and center. It's a nice seductive scent, but I think the black narcissus is too strong for me to completely love it.

I haven't had much luck with many of the sexy scents (Desire, Le Petit Mort, Love Me, etc...at least O is fabulous on me!), but I won't stop 'til I try them all. :P So I ordered Hunger in my latest batch of imps.

Hm, I loved narcissus in Pride, but the orange is giving it a very different feel here. I can smell the vanilla, but it seems to be fighting with the other notes. Hunger is overall a bit bitter, despite the vanilla. It might make me want a Creamsickle, but it does not inspire lust (then again, it's not a Voodoo blend, so I'm sure YMMV depending on how sexy you think Creamsickles are. :D ) It drys down to incense, but in a dirty-hippie way rather than a sexy way. This is not going to be the sexy scent for me, obviously!

Edited by Laurel the Woodfairy

I have Essay 28's imp of this, and I can definitely see the "diaper" comparison. There's like, an earthy funk, and a strong, grating floral over it, like an air freshener in a diaper pail. If I hadn't read all these other reviews, I would have suspected this imp of having gone stale (it is pretty old and battered looking), because there's an off note to it, just like this endless bottle of massage oil that I used to have that finally went bad after 5 or 6 years. But I see lots of people mentioning weird notes with this blend, so maybe that's just how it is.

I washed it off with soap, and when I smelled that spot seven hours later there was a beautiful spicy, smoky orange smell. If only the perfume smelled like that at first! But there are too many other great blends out there to keep one that you have to wash off and then wait half a day.

Bottle: Very earthy, musty orange.

On skin, Wet: green pine/grass, tinge of something unpleasant/ammonia-y, orange, a bit powdery. Musky floral, no vanilla yet.

On skin, dry: As it tries, more vanilla comes out, but not as much as I'd like. A strong note is taking over, and I think it’s the narcissus. Whatever it is, its starting to smell like cat pee. GAH! What is wrong with me???? This is the second scent to smell like cat pee on me today! :P

Later: I stuck out cat pee phase. I can smell more vanilla now, but the narcissus (or whatever it is) is still hanging around invoking feral cat pee. It's also very drying in my throat when I smell it. Oho, cat pee is fading…now it's like a powdery floral with a not-too-sweet vanilla. There even seems to be a hint of spice. Its much better now, but still very dry and I an still smell the CP ever so slightly.

Overall: this ends on a powdery vanilla with a biting edge which actually isn't cat pee anymore, but reminds me of it enough that I know this blend isn't for me. ANd no orange after it dried. This one didn't even have jasmine listed, which is what I thought my skin's cat pee culprit was. :D One cat pee note is enough, and now I'm worried I have two. ICK.

I put off trying this because citrus is not my friend. But now I see that orange blossoms are a lot gentler and prettier than straight up oranges. I’m getting a pleasant, soft, dreamsicle scent from the orange blossom and vanilla, topped off with a hint of dark florals. This is definitely a summertime scent, sultry and warm.

I've gotten good variations and bad variations of Hunger over the years. My good imps smell like creamy vanilla and natural, soft orange blossom. The bad imps smell like heavy, sharp, perfumey floral narcissus and waxy, funky orange blossom that reminds me of burning, melting plastic. I'll never order a full size of this one, because I never know which version I'll get.

Edited by Little Bird

In bottle: it smells like orange peel--fruity and sweet from the vanilla.

Wet: still very sweet and orangey, there's a musky fresh-dirt scent underneath but it's very very light.

Dry: a biting sweet spiciness emerged; a little like clove and orange but a bit creamier--I can't smell the vanilla distinctly, it just enhances everything else. After a while, the vanilla comes out more. It smells like dark orange and vanilla. It's a little overpowering. It smells like a foody-floral. It's a nice scent, but a little strong for me.

Mmmm, pretty.

Wet: Sweet, orangey, but somehow fresh and more complicated. I can't pick out the notes, but this is awfully pretty! I can now officially say that there is a difference between Narcissus and Black Narcissus. Narcissus smells like bandaids on me.

Drying: OH, that's why it's famliiar. It reminds me a bit of snake oil. But orangey. Almost... red musk -like in sheherezade? But I might be confused 'cause I've tried on a zillion imps today. :P

Dry: Sigh. Pretty. Not as strong, (though possibly because I can't stop sniffing it so I may have a numb nose). The undertone is still shifting between snake oil and red musk. But definitely pretty. Really pretty. Very possibly buy a bottle pretty. I need to try this again on it's own tommorrow. And then I have to try it layered with Bliss. *swoon*

Edited by Muppetk

Origin: part of an imp lot I got on Ebay

In Bottle: Intriguing- kind of thick, with bright citrus overlay

Wet on skin: huh. this is not liking my skin. Smells kind of medicinal. Reminds me of medicated shampoo...tar?

Dry on skin: still medicinal, but has sweetened up a bit. Very thick, almost harsh. Reminds me of a Chanel perfume (I can't remember which number) that my grandmother used to wear. I can't pick out any real notes, it's just dark and sweet.

Dry down: twelve hours later, after my shower, I can still smell it on me, and it's mellowed to something very nice, sweet, with a touch of tartness. But before the shower it was still very strong.

Overall: Rather unpleasant on me. Or maybe, wearing this scent would require a kind of chutzpah that I don't possess. To the swap pile.

In the Bottle: Ooh very nice! Light spices, a whiff of vanilla and orange.

Dry: Much the same, but some honey comes out, making it a lot like the rest of the honey-foody scents like Vice? There is more spice in Hunger though, and it rises to the top. It's kind of like a peice of spice cake. It's sweet and gentle. Nice.