Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Ravenclaw79

Knock-A-Dolly

KNOCK-A-DOLLY
Ding Dong Ditch! Black Phoenix Alchemy Lab's Samhain scent with cinnamon sugar and candy dust!

This one would be perfect to set the mood for a Halloween party ... it's very, very dark, harshly so, very dungeon-y. Unfortunately, it's all Samhain and no cinnamon, no sugar, no candy, at least not to my nose. But if you love Samhain, you'll love it.

When I got mine today, I could smell the cinnamon & sugar before I sprayed it. And it is GOOD!! I actually bought this thinking it was a perfume, and I have to say, it would be a great one. The Samhain blends so deliciously with the cinnamon & sugar, it's amazing!

Knock-A-Dolly - I had almost the exact opposite experience of the first reviewer! To me, this is all cinnamon sugar and very little to no Samhain. I'm quite disappointed, as I love Samhain to bits and pieces. This cinnamon sugar scent is nice, but not what I want my house to smell like.

WOW! This has a lot of staying power! I'm glad it came in a room spray 'cause I liked the Samhain oil, just not on me. The cinnamon-sugar adds a sweet edge to it that's kinda different, but good.

Update: I could smell this 2 days after I sprayed!

Edited by AmandaArcana

When I am holding the bottle all I get is the cinnamon and sweetness more like honey than sugar. When I spray it I get smoke, like when I put wood into my wood burning stove smoke and then it suddenly goes all honey and cinnamon again and then back to the smoke, alternating between the two. It's quite strong for me, but I can't decide if I actually like it. ^_^;

Knock-A-Dolly doesn't smell like cinnamon and sugar to me, which is disappointing. Then, to add insult to injury, it doesn't even smell like Samhain. It's leaves. Wet autumn leaves. It doesn't smell bad, mind you, it just doesn't smell like I expected it to. I wanted cinnamon sugar, and would be pleased with the appley-autumn scent of Samhain, but got neither.

This is lovely! I just received it yesterday and have been spraying it over everything that I could.

To me this is better than the perfume oil, which to my nose is all fir needle and black patchouli, while this has apple, cinnamon, spices and even a hint of tea. Not really sure where that last note is coming from, but it's there. This is very much an autumn scent and it's perfect for the chilly weather we've been having lately.

Ugh. I don't smell Samhain in this spray, and I certainly don't smell sweet cinnamon and sugar. What I smell is a wet, smoldering fire, into which someone has tossed a handful of bitter cinnamon sticks. I could smell something unpleasant as soon as I opened my box from BPTP, but it never occurred to me it would be this spray--I was sure I'd love it based on the notes. Instead, I find it harsh and dank, and I will try to rehome it immediately.

I LOVE this! Knock-A-Dolly smells like L'Autunno Atmosphere spray with sugary sprinkles. This doesn't smell like the Samhain perfume at all to me. It's pretty much straight up L'Autunno + sweet things and I love it! :)

Edited by Monster

I wound up swapping Knock-A-Dolly. I don't think that it smelled like Samhain at all, because it had more of a damp green smell than a dry or leafy one. It was like wet green leaves and a sharp cinnamon potpourri, which was a bit odd and disjointed for me. My husband always said it smelled like green grass and cinnamon wafers, which was 'weird.'

Edited by Little Bird

Mmm I love me some Knock-a-dolly!! First of all, it smells different than my bottle of Samhain room spray, but thats ok with me because I love this one just as much!! The first sniff after I spray is very autumn in a bottle. It's leafy but spicy at the same time. Once it's settled down, the sugar is more apparent. No apples, but there's a fruity sweetness peeking through. It's very very yummy, and I love this as much as my Samhain room spray, even though it's just a bit different.

Just a funny little side note: my bottle of Knock-a-dolly was blessed by the lovely Lilith Victoria at Will Call. She pulled it out of my bag and nommed on the cap for me. Thanks sweetie!!

I LOVE this! Knock-A-Dolly smells like L'Autunno Atmosphere spray with sugary sprinkles :wub: This doesn't smell like the Samhain perfume at all to me. I'm not sure if it's supposed to (??) I'm confused...did the Lab mean Samhain as in their perfume oil or Samhain the holiday? Not sure! What I do know is this smells like L'Autunno + sweet things and I love it! :wub2:

Huh. Now that you mention it, this smells like L'Autunno to me, too. Unfortunately, L'Autunno was very black peppery to me. I hate black pepper. I have a bottle of last year's Samhain atmosphere spray, and this doesn't smell anything like that. So very glad I went the decant route with this one. My immediate impulse was to get a full bottle. That would not have ended well.

Knock-A-Dolly is my first BPAL room spray! I can finally add my review now that the cold of death is over.

It smells really lovely! It's not as 'orange' as I was expecting. It is much cooler in feel... almost breezy. Very reminiscent of a chilly autumn night thick with the smell of baking pies (though not pumpkin per say) encrusted with cinnamin and sugar. The sugar fades after awhile and what remains is a dry, piney earth smell thats just fantastic. This will also be a great one for the Holidays as the piney scent almost smells like a christmas tree.

This is very much Samhain to my nose, with tons of sugar and cinnamon. I like Samhain the perfume oil, but would adore this scent also as a perfume oil. :) It also lasts a long time.

My first Atmosphere spray! And I'm actually rather fond of it. :)

I get something the resembles leaves and pine when I sniff at the bottle. It is that same scent that I get for the first 5-10 minutes after spraying it, but then the cinnamon sugar SLOWLY takes over. It's almost like the cinnamon and sugar bloom out of this. After about an hour I am left with this lovely earthy, sugary, cookie scent. Not like baking cookies... but like you sniff at a cinnamon sugar cookie that was baked the night before - except that you are in the damp forest while you are sniffing.

I'm in love. Probably pick up a back up when the Inquisition goes up, if it's still available. ;)

When I first spray this one, I get the unmistakable scent of - pickles. I thought, "no, that can't be right," so I tried it three different times. Every time - pickles.

Fortunately, the vinegary pickle smell doesn't linger long, and the cinnamon sugar comes out strongly, and lasts a long time. I do get a hint of Samhain underneath, that keeps it from being too foody. This is a very comforting and snuggly scent - once I get past the pickles. :blink:

Edited by Wench457

This is my first atmosphere spray. Let me start by saying that I was a bit hesitant to think this could be worth the price, and in that regard, I was TOTALLY WRONG. This is completely worth the price, worth every cent.

To me, the cinnamon and sugar is stronger than the Samhain smell, but it isn't achingly foody. There are enough fall leaves and wood to darken it. It only takes two or three sprays to scent a large room, and it lasts for literally DAYS. I've been using this liberally since I received it, and I just looked to see how much was left in the bottle- a shockingly large amount! I am so happy with this- an excellent fall smell.

Knock-A-Dolly I love you! You smell just like my beloved Death of Autumn perfume, but with an after-shot of cinnamon sugar. Just terrific! (but it definitely benefits from a shake rattle or roll to re-blend the leaves with the cinnamon before spraying)

I hope that the terrible component problems that plagued Puddin' with this spray don't keep it from ever returning.

I had the exact same experience as a reviewer upthread--pickles! It wasn't very pleasant. I love Samhain and cinnamon sugar, but I never really got either of those--just a sour tang I found pretty bleh :huh?:

After sniffing Samhain (extra-strong evergreen with a side of patchouli <_< ) I was too scared to try a big bottle of this, but I love autumny scents so I couldn't resist and snatched a decant from the forum.

Boy, am I glad I gave it a try! This is nothing like Samhain to my nose: freshly sprayed it's all lovely wet leaves, then it warms as the sugar and cinnamon come out, plus I can't smell the evil patchouli at all :lovestruck:

At times it's almost too sugary for my taste, but it's always balanced by the leaves and evergreens in the background. Wafts of sugar aside this is mostly a fresh scent, very outdoorsy and a bit spicy. I rarely associate a color to a scent but this is greenish blu to me, close to the feeling I get from tea scents.

I *think* I can smell hints of apples in there but I'm wearing Lamb's Wool so it's difficult to tell (it may be May, but it's been raining for three days straight and it's freezing, perfect weather to try out fall scents!).

It's a strong, comforting, long lasting smell and I'll hoard my decant hoping to see it again next autumn.

Edited by inkaddict

I passed this up when it was available because I know the warm, comforting scent Samhain turns into on my skin is not the same as the dominant woods in the bottle, but finally caved to an LJ sale and it turned out it was a worthwhile investment. Even though fabric obviously won't amp the sweet stuff like my skin does, the spiced candy dust completely makes up for it, giving this the perfect blend of a dark, sinister October night and the lighthearted fun and mischief on Halloween. One of my favorite labels too. ;)

Edited by Invidiana

Hmm.. reading the reviews so far, I'm wondering if there was some kind of batch variation with Knock-A-Dolly!!

My spray fills the room with the smell of twigs and leaves. Not in a fresh/forest kind of way.. more like a dank, dark forest where everything's a bit wet and slightly mouldy. I can honestly say that there's no sign of cinnamon sugar and/or candy dust in here - not at all, I cannot smell anything even close to either of those. There's nothing sweet or spicy in here at all - it's just a slightly sour, damp, kinda nasty smell.

I guess if you like those dark, moody, damp forest kinds of smells then this would be perfect but really.. I'm not enjoying my house smelling like this. And of course, it's lasting for AGES in the air!! So unfortunately I have to say I'm disappointed in this one, because I think cinnamon sugar and candy dust would have been awesome :(

Knock a Dolly definitely smells like Samhain. I get dark twigs, leaves, and slight moss. It smells like a dark, moody forest.

Fun, atmospheric, definitely autumnal.

Rather than the candied spicier Samhain I was expecting, my decant was actually less sweet than my Samhain spray. I think I got the dark, dank forest variation, with extra vetiver. Bummer! I love Samhain & was looking forward to a candied cinnamon version.