Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
blueroses

Mlle. Lilith, Fortune Teller

Coconut and a bit of sugar with pomegranate, pink musk, orange blossom, cypress, honey myrtle, and incense.

When I read the description and saw coconut listed at the top and incense at the bottom, I thought there was no way this could not smell awesome, as those are two of my favorite scents. Musk is always another favorite of mine, so I was pretty excited to douse myself in this.

Upon first whiff, I immediately thought of kids covered in apple juice. Kids always have that sweet, slightly sour smell to them (or maybe that's just me being a weirdo. Definitely possible) and that is what this reminds me of.

This is much sweeter and fruiter than I was expecting. The "bit of sugar" amps on me and I get nothing but sweet, sweet candy. No coconut, no musk, no incense. I thought this was going to be much more complex and layered.

All in all, its a very child-like, playful, innocent scent.

In bottle: Sweet but not candy like. Luckily I find no regular coconut, rather a sweet coconut. This is Tiki queen´s sweet little sister. Not as many layers, but I love it. Strawberry,( Not synthetic), creamy-flowers. A tropical island in a bottle. To quote a friend who is not a BPALér:" Wow, this bottle is amaing.

On me: The layers blends in nicely. Think Fruit moon blended with cream and mild flowers. A lovely lovely blend.

20 minutes in The "island is still there, sadly quite fast fading. I love it though.

I cannot really pick out any individual notes. It's so beautifully blended and works so well with my skin chemistry that it is just the most perfect slightly sweet, slightly floraly, incencesy perfume. This is my all time, absolute favorite scent. It's more sweet and slightly fruity at first, but on the drydown the incense come out more and it's really beautiful.

Wow this is sharp! Like sharp fruit. I expected coconut incense with a hint of fruity pomegranate. It's really really sharp, in time sweetening a little, the musk coming forth somewhat. It smells how one of those super sour chalky sweets tastes, a cherry flavour one.

I really thought I would love this, but I don't :( I wanted sweet and got sour.

Edited by cinnamonmel

Bottle: My nose/skin chemistry love pink musk. Love it. So this smells like... pink musk and a hint of incense. Sadly, aging has not tamed the dread pirate pink musk.

Wet: Pink musk, little bit of incense, tiny amount of coconut. I'm amazed at how strong the pink musk is. Normally myrtle and cypress amp to ungodly proportions on my skin but they're nowhere to be found here.

Dry: The pink musk doesn't calm down considerably but it calms down some. I can smell the coconut and the incense and a little bit of creamy orange blossom behind the pink musk. Overwhelmingly, though, this is a pink musk blend.

Throw: Miles.

Overall: It's a bit of a shame, because it's a beautiful list of ingredients. On the plus side, I do like pink musk a lot and sometimes just want to wear something unabashedly girly and sweet. This definitely fulfills that desire and then some.

When I first started getting into BPAL, people warned me that my tastes would change over time. I thought that was a bit odd, considering the things I like, I've liked for as long as I remember. What I didn't understand was that it wasn't that I'd stop liking many of those things, just develop a new appreciation for other things I never liked before. I don't know if this is a natural growth process, but I suspect it is a testament to skill involved in the creation of these scents- they make you like things you never knew you'd like.

My note of doom was red musk. Everyone raves about it, and I. didn't. get. it. At all. I don't know what it smelled like, but it wasn't good. But then there were blends with tiny hints of red musk that I liked, and I wondered what was going on. Way back, I tried Mme Moriarty and it was too much. And I was so disappointed because the other notes were wonderful but the musk tried to eat my head. ACK! :ack:

So I thought, as time passed, that I should try this blend. Even though it says sugar and sugar & I do NOT get along. Pomegranate, orange blossom, honey myrtle, and incense are good though. In the bottle, I smell pomegranate like in The Fruit of Paradise. Very similar note, but on my skin it is lighter from something here- the scary sugar? The orange blossom? I definitely get some orange blossom when I sniff my wrist. Pink musk seems to be hiding, but present making this rounder and fuller. Coconut was the other prominent thing in the bottle, but my skin eats it and it is 99% gone. I am not sad about that, though...it lends a summery feel to this, but isn't identifiable once it sits on the skin for a bit.

I agree that on me, this isn't a little girl blend. It is very wearable, complex but approachable, and WAY better than I anticipated. Pink musk, I think you & I are going to get along fine...

I've worn Mlle. Lilith a couple of times now, and am happy to report that she's grown on me.

I tend not to like scents that are too floral/sweet/pink and I don't really see that changing as a general rule.

On me, Mlle. Lilith is super pink and bubblegummy, but at the same time still a complex blend. Fortunately I don't get a lot of coconut, as that note doesn't seem to like me very much. I might reach for it in the future on these hot days, but can't see myself really wanting to wear it all that often. I could also see the sweetness giving me a headache after a while.

Unlike most others, I'm trying Mlle. Lilith before Mme. Moriarty, so I can't really compare them. I will say that if Mme. Moriarty is a heavier, sexier version of this, I'll probably love it!

I'll give this one a 3/5.

This scent really surprised me!

Wet: WOAH! Pure incense! I started to panic a little because I was really only smelling incense, but after about a minute and a half, the coconut and sugar came out and blended absolutely beautifully with the incense and left me with this amazing scent.

Drydown: Coconut, sugar, pink musk with just a hint of incense. Loving this! Now that the incense is behaving, this is turning out to be full of win!

Dry: Sugar and incense. Wow! I've never tried a blend with incense before, but Mlle. Lilith may have changed my mind! I didn't get any pomegranate, honey myrtle, cypress, or orange blossom, which makes me a little sad, but not too much as I unexpectedly adore this.

Verdict: This one stays in the picture!

The only iffy notes in here are pomegranate and sugar.

Bottle: Um. Hunh. A very pink, sugary, coconutty blend of musk with something very perfumey lingering at the back. Reminds me a lot of Pink Moon 2005 without the strawberries. No strong feelings about it at this point. It does smell very girly and tropical.

Wet: Coconut and pomegranate and spice and that super, super, super ridiculously girly pink musk. It's so feminine it kinda hurts; smells like a girly-sexy Victoria's Secret ad looks. Oh, also, MUSK.

Dry: Not gonna make it. There's something in here that's going off and giving me a headache-- probably the sugar. Sad Mlle. Lilith and I couldn't be friends. :huh?:

Edited by WidgetAlley

In the bottle:

It smells like a lighter, younger version of Mme Moriarty.

Wet:

Hmmmm. Coconut and something mildly fruity? There is something spicy and a bit musky underneath that reminds me of Mme Moriarty. I can also smell a bit of incense and I am hoping it will behave and not go all "generic headshop" on me like Midnight on the Midway and some of the other incense blends.

Drydown:

As this dries down, I am getting mostly incense. Not really what I was hoping for.

Dry:

Incense with a hint of "pink". Meh. Not for me, and off to the swap bucket you go.

Ah, much better! I got a blast of sharp, medicinal something from Misfortune Teller v3, so I was hoping Mlle. Lilith would be a lighter, sweeter version, and it is.

Love this. This is what I wanted Misfortune Teller to be, but it went dark and funky on me. This stays sweet, fruity, and incensey, but with a touch of Misfortune Teller in it. So glad I got a bottle.

I don't get "little-girl" or even much "young" vibe out of this, though. It's a thoroughly grown-up scent on me.

I received this yesterday, tested last night on wrist and all day today.

In bottle: sweet, fruity, bubblegum

Wet: Very sweet and fruity, can detect coconut in the background, gives a nice depth. It smells almost like grape bubblegum, lol, but in a good way.

Drydown: I had a problem with this stage for about 45 minutes. At this part, I can see why some people say it's a girl's scent, because it smells SORT OF like fruit candy/gum. When I wasn't thinking about it, it was a little annoying. When I would stop and inhale, it was delicious. There's a lot of depth and layers to this scent, and if you go on initial impressions with it, you'd be missing out.

Dry: Waxing poetic, here: This is NOT a little girl's scent. This scent is the memory of childhood, the way memories erase sadness and tears, and what's seen is good. This is the smell of all the memories of childhood candy stores, goodie bags, easter baskets rolled into a memory. This is how these treats smell on the archetypal rather than earthy level. This is a woman looking back at childhood with fondness, realizing she's still the same person and nothing's lost, only added on, and she feels better about life in general.

How's that? :lol: This scent is purplish pink to me, and soft. It turns slightly cake like after a few hours, and brings a very warm, cozy feeling. On my skin, the incense only appears towards the end, and brings a feeling of other centuries with it. In that respect, this was a very evocative scent to me...it doesn't smell contemporary in any way, shape, or form, and that's what I love about it. It's only slightly foody while maintaining a nice blend of fruit and coconut. This musk and incense is minimal on me, and I usually amp musk and incense. This smells sweetly clean without being at all generic.

It has good throw, around 4 feet, and good staying power. I tested it on my wrist and behind one ear last night and could still smell it this morning.

5 out of 5 stars :wub2:

ITB: Incense, cypress, honey myrtle, and pink musk. It's resinous while being slightly sweet as well.

Wet: It's incense and artificially pink, which must be the pomegranate as that note doesn't sit well on my skin as often. As it starts to settle, I can pick up the orange blossom a bit more strongly.

Dry: I get a bit more coconut along with orange blossom, pomegranate, honey myrtle (slight Honey Bucket here, but not enough to make me scrub my skin), musk, and incense.

I don't get the pomegranate, but definitely coconut and orange blossom. It's got a nice incense kick, laden with sugary goodness. Very pretty.

Wet: Coconut and tart fruitiness - the pomegranate and orange blossom seem to combine to smell like neither, but to be fruity for sure. Interesting. Not sure how I feel about it yet. In the throw, the incense smells like champa - I don't really detect it, nose to skin.

Dry: Ugh, I so wanted to love this. I wanted it to be a coconut incense scent. Instead, it's all about the pomegranate which first I don't like, and second it really bitter on my skin. Sadly I don't think this will be a keeper for me.

Wet: Sweet coconuts (not candy sweet at all) and incense. A bit of orange blossom as well, but more of a background note.

Dry: The orange blossom is bit more front-and-center, with the coconut retreating to the background. The incense is still there, making this more of an "orange blossom incense" scent rather than "coconut incense".

Very light, but pretty scent.

On me, this is very much a pomegranate scent. I cannot pick out the other notes, but they make this scent a slightly more floral and less sweet pomegranate scent than others. I'm a light bumped as I was hoping for more coconut, but it's just eaten up by the pomegranate on me.

Opens up heavy on the sugar and pink musk. Very sweet and feminine and definitely well blended and perfumey.

As it dries the fruitiness comes out more. The pomegranate is def there with a bit of tartness, and also i think the coconut cause i get a bit of a vanillic layer, and then there is the piney cypress underneath both of those adding a deeper, darker, mysterious layer. Decent throw.

As it dries further, over an hour in, the sharpness from the pom and cypress fade beautifully into the overall scent. The throw lessens somewhat but is still very present and sweet on the skin